Awful performance with a competent computer...

Ask and help answer questions about the WolfQuest game and forum. Check the Knowledge Base first! http://support.wolfquest.org

Moderator: Neamara

Maulclaw
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Awful performance with a competent computer...

Post by Maulclaw » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:07 pm

Hello everyone!

I was lucky enough to get my hands on this game for free just a few days ago and I couldn't wait to try out all the new stuff that has been implemented into the game. I believe I haven't played this game for... five or eight years by now, it's been so long. However, as soon as I started up the game I couldn't help but notice just how atrocious the performance was. The framerate keeps dropping like crazy and it's inconsistent. There's plenty of stuttering and other typical graphical glitches. My computer is more than capable of handling such an old game by today's standards since I can play modern games with better performance than Wolf Quest, and I'm unable to find a workaround this. I've attempted to lower some of the settings and even the resolution, which helped only a bit... but I would hate to experience this game in its lowest settings just to make it playable. I believe that I should mention that I did not have any issues with the original version of this game; the free one.

Here are my specs:
- Windows 10, 64 bit;
- Intel Core i7-6700HQ 3.5 GHz;
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950m, 4GB VRAM;
. 16GB DDR4 Memory (RAM);

Any tips on how to handle this?

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: Awful performance with a competent computer...

Post by Koa » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:03 pm

Moved to Tips, Hints and Help.

I have a similar graphics card to yours and don't have any issues with the game. I'm on Intel i7 as well. The only difference between us might be your RAM (you have more) and your OS (as I have Windows 8.1). Have you tried reinstalling the game at all?

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:03 pm

Hi Maulclaw,

Could you specify what graphical issues are you having and where they occur? My specs are lower than yours (GTX 745 // i7-4790 // 16GB RAM // Win 8.1 OS) but in my experience, Amethyst may have a slight stutter under certain conditions that doesn't occur in Slough Creek or Lost River. If you can, open task manager and monitor resources while the game is running just to be sure the performance dip isn't being caused other applications.
Nothing interesting happens.
[XBL] • [Switch SW-7220-7090-5161]

WQ Wiki WQ Discord WQ Reddit

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:37 pm

Also, I thought of this while playing WolfQuest earlier. I'm not sure if you also have an integrated card like I do, but since you have NVIDIA, you could also try altering settings in the NVIDIA Control Panel to make sure that WolfQuest always runs on the NVIDIA card.