Forum Suggestions V2

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

7KodaWolf7
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Name: Elliott

Re: Forum Suggestions V2

Post by 7KodaWolf7 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:48 pm

Right, that makes sense. I was curious. :lol:
They/them only, please!
⤐ "Is not the balance of our world the concern of all?"
~ Nava, Balto II: Wolf Quest

Maisaris
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Maisaris » Sun May 28, 2017 12:00 pm

Neamara wrote:
Nudging back to the suggestion to revise the word censor, we've had some discussion over in the mod forum.
Words to be added:
- f­ml
- ar­se
- sm­d
- f­fs

Words to be kept:
- All variations of insults/inappropriate remarks and profanity
- P­orn
- Chr­ist / Sa­tan
- Da­mn / Dam­mit
- As­s

Words to be removed:
- D­umb
- S­uck / S­ucks
- G­ a y / $­ex (removed "gay" and "sex" when we relaxed that rule; must've overlooked these)
- Wolfhome / wolf home (replacement word was "den"; removed a couple of weeks ago)
- U­gg (spambot countermeasure?)
- B­utt
- C­rap
- F­reaking / Frig­ging
- Br­east
- G­od / Go­ddess
- D­evil / H­ell
- C­ock*
- All religious terms
I would to be more than interested that reason why bold words are have received that judgment.

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sun May 28, 2017 2:26 pm

Words that are marked as "kept" are ones that have been filtered and stay filtered. Wolfhome and its variations are removed, i.e. they are no longer filtered. We don't always have an answer for why certain words (like wolfhome) were filtered. P.orn and a.ss remain filtered because of spambots that post p.orn and the like that we do our best to keep off the forums.

Maisaris
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Maisaris » Mon May 29, 2017 8:49 am

Koa wrote:Words that are marked as "kept" are ones that have been filtered and stay filtered. Wolfhome and its variations are removed, i.e. they are no longer filtered. We don't always have an answer for why certain words (like wolfhome) were filtered. P.orn and a.ss remain filtered because of spambots that post p.orn and the like that we do our best to keep off the forums.
Now I understand, but I just wonder how b.utt is removed from the vocabulary while p.orn seems to (me) to be a worse word and is on "kept" list.

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Rowan

Post by valkea » Mon May 29, 2017 8:55 am

Ah, I think you've read the lists wrong there. Words on the "kept" list are words that have remained filtered, while words on the removed list are words that are no longer filtered. So, you can now say hell, but you cannot say p.orn without evading the filter.
má shínim seal uaire faoi chrann a dhéanamh só
o cad é sin don te sin nach mbaineann sin dó?

Maisaris
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Maisaris » Mon May 29, 2017 9:10 am

Kirave wrote:
Ah, I think you've read the lists wrong there. Words on the "kept" list are words that have remained filtered, while words on the removed list are words that are no longer filtered. So, you can now say hell, but you cannot say p.orn without evading the filter.
Oh! Thanks for the clarification. My english was 7* when I quit school haha

Pegasos
Pup
Pup
Name: Maisa, Masaa

Post by Pegasos » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:36 am

Would be possible if the mods can 'retire' inactive users and names who aren't online for a year or more?
av by LupinzPack

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:54 am

Pegasos wrote:Would be possible if the mods can 'retire' inactive users and names who aren't online for a year or more?
Moderators would not be able to do that. An administrator of this forum could, but that would require pruning the userbase, which means deleting inactive accounts-- not retiring them. You could also deactivate their accounts, but their username would still be retained.

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:49 am

Personally I wouldn't want to delete inactive accounts; pruning the database would certainly be beneficial and would free up usernames - at the time of posting we have under 850,000 registered accounts - and it would of course free up some space on the server, however we have no way of knowing who might come back or who exclusively plays the game without any forum use, or whether or not they still play the free game. Pruning only looks at forum activity; game time isn't logged by the user database. Any accounts that are otherwise active in-game could be inadvertently removed in the process which might be a cause for confusion.

For those reasons I still agree with the official stance of only deleting accounts when requested by the owner; after all, it has been stated numerous times in the past that inactive accounts are not removed from the database. Routine memberlist pruning might also run the risk of deleting inactive staff accounts.
Nothing interesting happens.
[XBL] • [Switch SW-7220-7090-5161]

WQ Wiki WQ Discord WQ Reddit

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:26 am

A question to our fellow community members: How would you all feel if the "User of the Month" usergroup were to change functionality so that it'd operate similarly to the Senior Members usergroup? Right now, the User of the Month colour is a one-time, exclusive reward for whomever earns the title in any given month. However, with the way forum activity has been going, we have not had a User of the Month in a while, meaning the colour and rank have been idle and almost redundant for a good while now.

By "opening up" the group in a way that the User of the Month colour would be a rank to earn rather than a one-time monthly colour, all former and new Users of the Month would be able to show off their achievement. The downside to this is that the colour would become less exclusive. What do you think?

For reference: a list of all former Users of the Month can be found here: http://wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=66673

Uzumaaki
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Uzumaaki » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:18 pm

Anduril wrote:A question to our fellow community members: How would you all feel if the "User of the Month" usergroup were to change functionality so that it'd operate similarly to the Senior Members usergroup? Right now, the User of the Month colour is a one-time, exclusive reward for whomever earns the title in any given month. However, with the way forum activity has been going, we have not had a User of the Month in a while, meaning the colour and rank have been idle and almost redundant for a good while now.

By "opening up" the group in a way that the User of the Month colour would be a rank to earn rather than a one-time monthly colour, all former and new Users of the Month would be able to show off their achievement. The downside to this is that the colour would become less exclusive. What do you think?

For reference: a list of all former Users of the Month can be found here: http://wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=66673
I really like that idea! I feel like it almost "incentivizes" earning the rank, aka posting constructively around the forums which would generate more activity and discussion in certain areas of the forums maybe? I do feel like the forums have been more active than usual lately (probably since it's the summer months), and as a result there's a bigger pool of users to pick from when choosing MOTM as opposed to other times of the year when I've noticed the forums can get maybe 5 posts per day.
Personally as someone who has been a MOTM I don't care about the exclusivity of the rank, but I'm sure that'll vary from person to person
av by theinfinite

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Rowan

Post by valkea » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:35 pm

I'd be fine with that, though as a former UotM and as someone who just really likes the color I'm not sure how much my opinion matters lmao, at least vs someone who has never gotten it and/or doesn't care much about the actual color. At this point though with how few candidates there have been in recent months, with no UotM at all for several months, I'm not sure how much of a point there is in having to be a one-time exclusive reward if it's not being used.
má shínim seal uaire faoi chrann a dhéanamh só
o cad é sin don te sin nach mbaineann sin dó?

alethe
Name: [REDACTED]

Post by alethe » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:43 pm

I don't mind either way. I've been UotM before but I love the color, and I love the idea of being able to "show off" your past rank. It seems the best option, too, now that there aren't as many active members on the forum like there used to be.

However, I do understand wanting your own color for the month. Maybe a usergroup for current and past? Or would that be too complex?

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
ARE YOU A JEDI ?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

av/sig : fidd/lupe

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:20 pm

harrishawk wrote:However, I do understand wanting your own color for the month. Maybe a usergroup for current and past? Or would that be too complex?
That's a pretty good idea and not something I considered. It's up to Neam to confirm whether that's doable or not, but as we also have a ban parrot colour and usergroup which doesn't add to any usergroup clutter, I think it'd be possible without becoming too complicated.

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:29 am

It is indeed possible to have two groups, one for current and one for former. The group's default rank can be switched to whatever rank is decided for former members, while the rank intended for the newest UotM will have to be assigned manually. Couple of questions:
  1. For those of you who were Users of the Month in the past, what rank do you want? Taking suggestions. All I have in mind for it is Former User of the Month.
  2. Also relating to the rank, are there any changes to the badge that should be made to help differentiate between current and former? Examples-
    • Image Former members have solid blue paws in their rank badge.
      Image New/current members have the 'fade'-type rank badge.
  3. Do former members want this group's unique avatar or do you feel it should be a one-time reward worn by the newest member?

How two and three are answered will determine whether or not we need to setup a new group.
Nothing interesting happens.
[XBL] • [Switch SW-7220-7090-5161]

WQ Wiki WQ Discord WQ Reddit

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”