2.7 Demo Discussion

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

alexterri2
Pup
Pup

Re: 2.7 Demo Discussion

Post by alexterri2 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:14 pm

SolitaryHowl wrote:
alexterri2 wrote:This is kinda off topic, but a, I the only one who thinks that wolf quest seems a bit more.. Active? Like, more people posting on the fourums. I really hope this update will result In more activity!
Yes, that certainly seems to be the case. Its exciting, isn't it!?
Yeah, it is!

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:15 pm

Kitsuma wrote:
SolitaryHowl wrote:
Kitsuma wrote:I'm enjoying the demo. I was legitimately surprised when I found out there was a growl and whimper sound added. I wouldn't call it an emote though, since there is no movement, which was actually almost as equally disappointing as I was excited by the fact they added those sounds.

In my opinion that kind of came to me as a half done job. Not putting in a tail raising or fang bearing animation for the growl, or a tucked in tail, or showing belly for the whimper.

There was some other great stuff though! I did enjoy the new sounds during the day and night. The Elk bugling, though the distance one caught me off guard, and I jumped out of my skin.

Wind direction affecting scents is also appealing! I enjoy that add on!

I also love how I can now chase away bears. I never miss an opportunity to do so! Of course that leads to me being able to find a mate faster. Some people hunt elk to get the needed points. I hunt bears! Because I'm a woman!

I also prefer the experience for getting a mate. So much better than having to visit all territories.

I also enjoy the fact that they have added male and female to the bears, coyotes, and hares.

The graphics are so much better! The water doesn't look like moving clay, and it is just gorgeous!

The interactive mate is cool too. I was surprised that when I play bowed to my mate, he did it back!

Although, I still find many carcasses. I heard that they would be decreased but I don't see it. I play on the hardest difficulty, but I don't need to hunt, cause I can still find carcasses whenever I need one. Heck I had four carcasses spawn in the same area!
I brought up the idea that a growl and a whimper should be added, and Dave agreed. But he couldn't put the animations in....why?

Back in the day when computers weren't as strong, they team made 2 different wolf models with differing quality. There are still 2 different models for the wolf, a high quality one used in the social arena and the lower quality one for everywhere else. Because of that, each model has its own set of animations that are exclusively available to only that model. The idea of adding in a growl/whimper was brought up way too late in development for them to make new animations for the lower quality model to accompany the sounds. So maybe in a future update if sales are strong, and if the demand's high enough they'll add the animations....

As for the carcass spawning...that's weird. On mine, when I set it to the hardest level, I only get one spawned carcass (if I'm lucky).

Glad you enjoyed (most) of the demo, though!
So they finally listened to someone? I, among a lot of people actually suggested a growling and whimpering emote years ago, but they didn't want to "promote" fighting, so they said they wouldn't add it.

That makes sense with the models. Maybe at a later date, they will be given animations. It would be cool if at some point, every action you can do in the social arena, one can do outside of it.

I don't know what is going on with my carcass problem.

Yes, I'm enjoying most of it. The improvement considered with 2.5 is vast! Just, as a gamer, I can be a bit picky and I just see a whole lot of potential for WQ.
Well now that open games have the phrase only chat, Dave decided to add it in even if he couldn't do the animations themselves. We both thought it was better than nothing.

It could still become a problem in private games, but there's less of a chance of it becoming wide-spread. I think that's why he agreed to it.

Dave has actually agreed to add/change a lot of things we (beta testers) have suggested to improve the game....maybe its because this version is now paid & so they have a higher development budget?

I agree about the actions, that's what I want to see as well. And to hopefully get rid of the social arena all together (or maybe set it as a 'legacy option' and just have all the emotes in real time...that would be really cool, but probably hard to pull off.

Hopefully the 2.7 sales will be strong enough for an episode 3...so many possibilities...
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

Kitsuma
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Kitsuma » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:25 pm

SolitaryHowl wrote: Well now that open games have the phrase only chat, Dave decided to add it in even if he couldn't do the animations themselves. We both thought it was better than nothing.

It could still become a problem in private games, but there's less of a chance of it becoming wide-spread. I think that's why he agreed to it.

Dave has actually agreed to add/change a lot of things we (beta testers) have suggested to improve the game....maybe its because this version is now paid & so they have a higher development budget?

I agree about the actions, that's what I want to see as well. And to hopefully get rid of the social arena all together (or maybe set it as a 'legacy option' and just have all the emotes in real time...that would be really cool, but probably hard to pull off.

Hopefully the 2.7 sales will be strong enough for an episode 3...so many possibilities...
The problem is that fighting is natural among wolves. It confused me on why a game that wanted to put so much emphasis on being realistic wouldn't make it that way in MP. Plus, most people are more mature than given credit for. It was also just usually story.

I've seen in MP rps that there is usually always the "loner" player. In real life, if a loner came into a pack's territory, the pack would try to threaten them away. So hence my confusion.

However, they are doing it now, so I'm happy, and while it may be hard to pull off, I think it would be worth it. I like the change to buy to play. They will have a budget now, and that means that more stuff can be added or done.

I hope they do an episode 3. It is long overdue, but I'll gladly wait, since this 2.7 looks like it has turned out to be amazing.
Avvie by me
Only those willing to listen may hold that passionate flame to lead others
Siggie by me
Like Warrior Cats? Come check out my RP Forum at: http://thelandofwarmmists.proboards.com/

BlueBellTigger
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by BlueBellTigger » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:39 pm

I tried an experiment... It was killing a bear... It was weird... I did not kill it, But I chased it and chased it lol its funn-ey!
ITS GOING TO BE OKAY!!!!!

There is always a Light in the world...

Link
https://www.youtube.com/user/ThePianoGuys

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:28 pm

The final game is now released. Go to the ichi site to buy it.

Happy Wolfquesting!

Wolvencall
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: Maddie

Post by Wolvencall » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:46 pm

is the dmg file for mac laptops ?
Go your own way

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:54 pm

Wolvencall wrote:is the dmg file for mac laptops ?
Yes, its for any Mac computer.

alexterri2
Pup
Pup

Post by alexterri2 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:02 pm

I can't get the game now, sadly. I'll have to wait for like two weeks :c I hope you guys enjoy the game while I'm waiting though

WolfDragonPlasma
Pup
Pup

Post by WolfDragonPlasma » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:02 pm

SolitaryHowl wrote:
WolfDragonPlasma wrote:I definitely see a lot of the improvements that have gone into this game after playing the demo for a few days. I love how I can run for longer because the stamina bar doesn't deplete as rapidly as it did in 2.5, and that my health doesn't go down nearly as fast too, and on top of that, it's a lot more fun taking down elk than it was in the past, and I am less tempted into taking down a bull elk, which is a lot more parallel to real life because wolves don't take down bulls on their own.

However, my main issues with this new version is how the graphics are. Even with everything closed out, my laptop can barely handle the Good setting unless I scale down the window size, which makes me sad because I see all these other wolves with the fluffy coats that I've been seeing in screenshots, and my wolf is forced to look flat and hairless like it did in 2.5 in order to make the game run without too much lag.

Which leads me to a suggestion that, for at least when Wolfquest does well and a 3rd episode is on its way, that perhaps maybe we could get an option to make our wolves fuzzy or not without having to rely on the Beautiful or Fantastic graphic settings? That would be really wonderful, as seeing fluffy wolves while mine's coat is flat has been bugging me.
Perhaps, we'll see. If 2.7 sales go well (and if not too many people pirate it...fingers crossed!), then maybe Dave'll put in more graphical options/sliders for the players in an update or new episode. But its ultimately up to him.

What are your system specs?
Yeah; I do hope sales go well. The game certainly deserves it for what it stands for and all the hard work that goes into it.

As for system specs, I play on a Toshiba Satellite L675D with a 3.0 GHz AMD Phenom(tm) II N660 Dual-Core Processor and 4.0 GB of RAM. Windows 7 is the operating system of the laptop.

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”