WINNERS ANNOUNCED! February WolfQuest Giveaway Contest!

Archived contests and giveaways.
loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

WINNERS ANNOUNCED! February WolfQuest Giveaway Contest!

Post by loboLoco » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:53 pm

February winners Announced!

Four winners were selected in a random drawing from the correct entries. Congratulations to:

Tikianda
Strong
SilverNightshade
GreenEyedChieff

Winners have been notified by email. Great work everyone and thank you for entering!

Thank you to all for your replies to: Send us three interesting facts about Tower Fall .

The next contest will be posted later in March!

Win a Free Copy of WolfQuest!
It's time for the monthly contest to win a free copy of WolfQuest 2.7! As usual, four lucky winners will receive a free copy of the game! Winners can choose to get any version of the game (Mac/Windows, Android, iOS, Kindle).

This Month's Question
WolfQuest Episode 3, currently in development, will be set around Tower Fall, a landmark waterfall in Yellowstone National Park. We'd like to know what you find interesting about Tower Fall: its history, geology, ecology, or whatever you find intriguing.

To enter the contest, send three interesting facts about Tower Fall to us at contest1@wolfquest.org. Don't forget to include your email address and WQ forum username!

Deadline
All entries must be received by midnight (Eastern Daylight Time) on Tuesday, February 28.

Entry Requirements
Valid entries must include:
• Three interesting facts about Tower Fall, Yellowstone.
• Your email address.
• Your WQ forum username (Required! If you haven't registered for the forum, now's the time!)

Random Drawing
Each entry that includes the required questions and information will be assigned a number. We will then use a random-number generator to generate four numbers. The entries bearing those numbers will each win a free copy of the game.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

Pepper
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Re: WINNERS ANNOUNCED! February WolfQuest Giveaway Contest!

Post by Pepper » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:59 pm

Here some of the many interesting things that contest participants sent in. They are in no particular order and not rigorously fact-checked or edited. Enjoy!

Tower Fall is 132 feet in height.

Tower Fall is the most popular waterfall in Yellowstone other than the Lower Falls of the Grand Canyon.

The trail descends about 300 feet in a half mile.

Also, here was an important travel route (the Bannock Trail) for early Native Americans as well as for early European visitors and miners up to the late 19th century.

A well-known painting by Thomas Moran in 1871 helped persuade Congress to set aside Yellowstone as the world's first national park in 1872

The way the sun shines at it sometimes and create these beautiful rainbows is amazing.

The fall was named by Samuel Hauser, a member of the Washburn party. Hauser made this notation in his diary on August 27, 1870:
“Campt near the most beautiful falls-I ever saw-I named them Tower Falls-from the towers & pinnicle[sic] that overhang them height 115 feet Aug 28-Didnt move camp Cenery too beautiful I measured these falls-found them 115-the pinacalcover top Then 200ft Eight different spires crown from the falls-From below the view is splendid.” — Samuel Hauser

During winter Tower Fall is encased by an ice dome.

The "towers" were formed by larger boulders that shielded the underlying conglomerate from erosion. Older photographs of Tower Fall reveal a large boulder precariously perched at the brink of the falls. For more than a century, visitors wondered when it would fall. It finally did in June 1986.

The rock columns in the canyon north of Tower Fall were formed by a basaltic lava flow that cracked into hexagonal columns as it slowly cooled.

The head of the falls the rocks were worn into curious and fantastic shapes.

Elk, bison, deer, and pronghorn thrive in the grasslands of this area, known as the northern range. In fact, some of the largest wild herds of bison and elk in North America are found here. The northern range is critical winter habitat for these large animals, which in turn provide food for several packs of wolves. Coyotes are also common, and occasional bobcat, cougar, or red fox are reported.
The gorge and cliffs between the junction and Tower Fall provide habitat for bighorn sheep, osprey, peregrine falcons, and red-tailed hawks. Both grizzly and black bears are sighted throughout the area, particularly in the spring. Black bears are more commonly seen around Tower Fall and Tower Junction.

In August 1870, the Washburn-Langford Doane Expedition camped near and explored the Tower Fall area for several days en route to Yellowstone Lake. In his 1871 report to Secretary of War Gustavus C. Doane, a member of the expedition described Tower Falls thus:

“The great curiosity of the locality, however,is the Tower Fall of Hot Spring Creek, where that stream is precipitated, in one unbroken body, from an amygdaloid ledge, a sheer descent of 115 feet, into a deep gorge, joining the Yellowstone a few hundred yards below. At the crest of the fall the stream has cut its way through amygdaloid masses, leaving tall spires of rock from 50 to 100 feet in height, and worn in every conceivable shape. These are very friable, crumbling under slight pressure; several of them stand like sentinels on the very brink of the fall. A view from the summit of one of these spires is exceedingly beautiful; the clear icy stream plunges from a brink 100 feet beneath to the bottom of the chasm, over 200 feet below, and thence rushes through the narrow gorge, tumbling over boulders and tree trunks fallen in the channel. The sides of the chasm are worn away into caverns lined with variously-tinted mosses, nourished by clouds of spray which rise from the cataract; while above, and to the left, a spur from the great plateau rises above all, with a perpendicular front of 400 feet. The fall is accessible either at the brink or foot, and fine views can be obtained from either side of the cañon. In appearance, they strongly resemble those of the Minnehaha, but are several times as high, and run at least eight times the volume of water. In the basin we found a large petrified log imbedded in the débris. Nothing can be more chastely beautiful than this lovely cascade, hidden away in the dim light of overshadowing rocks and woods, its very voice hushed to a low murmur, unheard at the distance of a few hundred yards. Thousands might pass by within a half mile and not dream of its existence; but once seen, it passes to the list of most pleasant memories. In the afternoon the remainder of the party arrived, having lost the trail on the previous day.”— Gustavus C. Doane

The fall was renamed Tower Fall (singular) by the U.S. Geological Survey in 1928.
Pepper
WolfQuest Team Member

Shake your glitter.

GreenEyedChieff
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by GreenEyedChieff » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:04 pm

Hi, i have a question, well it's the first time that i win a contest, so how can i chose the version that i want?
If u can answer me it would be great!

-Thx

Pepper
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by Pepper » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:03 am

GreenEyedChieff wrote:Hi, i have a question, well it's the first time that i win a contest, so how can i chose the version that i want?
If u can answer me it would be great!

-Thx
You should have received an email from us asking this very question. And congratulations!
Pepper
WolfQuest Team Member

Shake your glitter.