Tablet version: Auto-save

Archived news, updates and announcements.
loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Tablet version: Auto-save

Post by loboLoco » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:03 am

We've decided to revise how the save-game functionality for the tablet version. The current method is rather odd and confusing (different buttons to go into Amethyst and Slough Creek). We'd like to switch to a more standard method, something like this:

1) When starting a new game, the game displays the default save-game name: "Your Wolfname - Day/Month/Year" -- and the player can accept that, or change it, then proceed.

2) The game will auto-save at key points in the game (after each social arena, elk kill, upon getting a mate, and completing each SC mission).

3) Players can also manually save their game at anytime (same as now), using the same name or new name for the save file.

So first: does anyone thing this is a bad idea?

And second: We want to make this simpler and more intuitive for players, but without removing much of the current flexibility. Simplest would be for each auto-save to update the original save for the current game. More complicated (but more flexible) is creating a new save file with each auto-save. That, of course, would result in a dozen or so save files per game, which might be confusing or bow for some players, especially on tablets where things are usually more simplified. But that would let you jump back into previous points in your game arc.

As part of this, we'd simply the Start Game menu so you choose a save-file and go directly into that game, rather than being able to choose either Amethyst or Slough Creek, then choosing your save file. That method arose due to the original episodic development process, but really doesn't make any sense. Any concerns about that simplification?

thanks
Dave
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: Tablet version: Auto-save

Post by Koa » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:29 am

I would go with the more complicated auto-save process, but instead have it so that the user can enable or disable autosaves, if able. WolfQuest in the past has had many parts where I end up having to re-load my last save, and having an auto-save overwrite the previous save might not be the best idea, if I'm understanding you correctly. That's why I would prefer the more complicated auto-save method. Overall, I personally
prefer to manually save over auto-saving for games where I know I will need to re-load various saves. Regardless of what exact saving method you choose, I think you should still add the choice of enabling or disabling auto saves if it isn't too much work.

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:47 am

Sure, we can have that option. (Though hopefully this version of the game will be less buggy and so not require so much reloading of past saves :?)
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:36 pm

loboLoco wrote:Sure, we can have that option. (Though hopefully this version of the game will be less buggy and so not require so much reloading of past saves :?)
Great, haha. And hopefully! Seems like you guys are working hard so I don't think it will. :)

duskypack
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: “Dusk”

Post by duskypack » Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:17 pm

Auto-Saves would make Wolfquest less of a pain in the neck-especially with the 'Game won't save' glitch after wolf encounters, providing that you can manually save and duplicate games for different purposes!

My goodness, I love all the new ideas for Wolfquest Tablet Version, Dave!

Keep making this an amazing game (probably will be featured in the App Store at some point!)

-Dusk

SilkenGalaxy
Name: Alex

Post by SilkenGalaxy » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:30 pm

I think that auto-save would make the game better. Also, I would like to add, that it could save the game at the start and autosave by updating the original game, but with the completion of each mission, it would make a new saved game and update that one and so on, that way, there won't be too many saved game files, but you would be able to go back to a previous game file. :)

SouthFoxy

Post by SouthFoxy » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:03 pm

Teeny_Wolfy wrote:I think that auto-save would make the game better. Also, I would like to add, that it could save the game at the start and autosave by updating the original game, but with the completion of each mission, it would make a new saved game and update that one and so on, that way, there won't be too many saved game files, but you would be able to go back to a previous game file. :)
I agree.
Also, don't need worry if forgot to save a game and then start again.

Nor-easter Forecast

Post by Nor-easter Forecast » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:53 am

The auto-save is a great idea. As for the complicated/simple deal, this is what I think. The auto-save should always overwrite the original file, so you only have one file per game. However, in the same location where you rename the files, there should be a option for a one-time duplicate save. That way you could mark one place in your game (the duplicate) and then continue on (the original). Overall, I think auto-saves are a good idea– especially in a simplified tablet version.

psy
Former WQ Moderator
Name: Jay

Post by psy » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:42 am

Koa wrote:I would go with the more complicated auto-save process, but instead have it so that the user can enable or disable autosaves, if able.
I definitely support this.

Nordue

Post by Nordue » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:42 pm

• Questions about disabling autosaves (that Dave might have already thought of): would one disable it for the entire WQ game, or for each individual game played? When would the disabling option be offered?

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:39 am

I like the option to disable autosaves. I think that at the start of a new game, when you have the option to type in a custom game name or use the default (probably "wolf name-date"), you could also toggle off auto save, and that setting would persist for the rest of that game (through the end of SC).
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

duskypack
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: “Dusk”

Post by duskypack » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:42 am

Perhaps in the Settings you can turn it on and off?

SilkenGalaxy
Name: Alex

Post by SilkenGalaxy » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:46 pm

I'd have to have auto-save on all the time :P! I typically get bored and try out a glitch and then I'd have to start over, so I'd need auto-save in order for me to continue from where I was at. How about (trying not to get too complicated here, but I can't help myself) having an option to set how often auto-save sets off, such as every minute it saves, every 3 minutes, 5 minutes and so on.

1BitJay
Name: Jay

Post by 1BitJay » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:47 am

I like the idea of Auto-save. Though, like Koa mentioned, it may take up a lot a space on something small like a tablet. So, maybe make very specific checkpoints that will autosave. Then have the option to save up to two files.

Soaring Owl
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Soaring Owl » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:19 am

Yes! Autosave would be a great thing to have. Being randomly unable to save sucks!
Question: if you are going with the complicated but flexible option, will there be a way to delete unwanted files in the save and load interface so we can delete files we don't want?

Return to “News and Announcements Archive”