WolfQuest Goes to Yellowstone: Slough Creek

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

WolfQuest Goes to Yellowstone: Slough Creek

Post by loboLoco » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:27 am

[youtube]0LUK_37Ce2U[/youtube]

Last September we visited Slough Creek in Yellowstone National Park! We hiked into Slough Creek to explore and see what it really looks like, so we can make the new Slough Creek map in WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition as accurate and realistic as possible. Although the autumn colors don’t match what we need in the game, which takes place in springtime, we learned a great deal about the look and feel of the place, and especially the kinds of rocks and grasses that are found throughout the area. Not surprisingly, there is nothing like really being there!

The current game map is a three kilometer hike from the trailhead. We headed first for Little Butte — your spawning point in the game. For those of you new to the game or returning after a long absence, Slough Creek is where you choose a den and raise your pups. This area is called the First Meadow, and yes, that means there’s a Second Meadow further upstream. We were hoping to reach it, but we had such a great time exploring First Meadow that we barely got beyond the edge of the current game map before it was time to head back. There are some enticing features further up, such as McBride Lake, which is just beyond the current game map, upslope from the Aspen Heights den.

Slough Creek is one our favorite places in Yellowstone, and perhaps the world. Wildlife abounds! We were thrilled to see black bear and mule deer families as well as signs of beaver, elk, badgers, and oh so many bison prints. We can see why one of the early wolf packs chose the area for their den site. In fact, more than one wolf pack has denned in this area since the 1996 reintroduction, and with the larger map, we’ll create more dens for you to choose from.

This video is the next installment in our WolfQuest Goes to Yellowstone videos from our research trip last September. If you missed the previous videos from our Yellowstone trip, check them out now!

WolfQuest Goes to Yellowstone: Part One

WolfQuest Goes to Yellowstone: Amethyst Mountain
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

ForeverEverest
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Everest/Evie

Re: WolfQuest Goes to Yellowstone: Slough Creek

Post by ForeverEverest » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:59 am

Watching that video was amazing, some of the things actually looked familiar to me, although I've only ever seen them in WolfQuest. It's amazing how accurate the game is, and how much thought and effort you put into it. One thing I know is that the results are stunning.

Frodo1
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Name: Frodo/Jay

Post by Frodo1 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:02 pm

Oh wow, this is awesome! It's so cool to be able to see the WolfQuest locations in real life!
When I went to Yellowstone several years back, I almost got to hike the Slough Creek trail, but unfortunately that day it was thunderstorming so we didn't end up doing it. It's awesome to see what's really out there!
And oh my goodness I haven't laughed as hard as I did over that ending in a LONG time XD

D0m
Name: Dominik

Post by D0m » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:15 pm

that was really fun to watch and it was super sweet to see the real locations.
also, the ending was wonderful. 10/10.

Shiranuiii
Name: Shiranui

Post by Shiranuiii » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:20 pm

• the fact it's super similar to the game just shows how much detail and thought went into it, it's amazing and it looks so beautiful !! you guys are lucky ! cx

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:21 pm

It was really strange, actually, to visit a place that I know so well, and yet had never been to before.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

Black Burn
Name: BB for short

Post by Black Burn » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:29 pm

This looks amazing!! The land was so beautiful! And with a map that big there will be no end to the exploring! I'm so excited!! And that last part was hilarious! Poor pup! I love it! Keep up the most amazing work WolfQuest! We all really appreciate it!

Edit: watched the video for a third time, and it's my favorite one yet! It's so funny and educational! (I loved the part of "BEAVERS!" Haha! Anyway, will that cabin be in the new map? And will the water at the second crossing at the sandbar really be deeper?! This all just sounds so great! Especially the new dens! Keep going WolfQuest Team!
Last edited by Black Burn on Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:43 pm

Oh wow. I truly look forward to re-exploring Slough Creek and going beyond the familiar boundaries in the current game world. I wonder how much in-game time will pass going from one side of these reworked maps to the other...

Also that ending. :') Dave, your sacrifice to appease the creek was very much appreciated.

SnowSprite
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by SnowSprite » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:49 pm

Slough Creek is even prettier in real life! I have one question about the new map: If there are going to be more dens, will there be more than one rendezvous site to travel to depending on which den we pick? Or are we going to travel a longer distance to the only one there if we pick a further den?

duskypack
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: “Dusk”

Post by duskypack » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:06 pm

I always appreciate a game developer who can hike across Yellowstone! Your attention to detail (and the..cold, watery lengths you take to make sure it’s perfect) astonishes me.

Eagerly waiting for the vlog where you sample an old elk carcass and the one where you nearly give your life fighting off a bear with only your teeth. Great sacrifices must be taken for the realism of the game!

thirteen889184
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by thirteen889184 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:20 pm

I would love to go to Slough Creek. I don't live too terribly far from the park, and I usually make at least one or two trips there during the summer but I've never been to any of the Wolfquest areas. Maybe this summer I'll have to go. It's really cool to see a place I've explored so much of on the game in real life. I'm very excited for the bigger maps!

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:11 pm

I forgot whatever substantial I had to say the moment that river crossing with pups sequence with the game edits came on. Cracked me up. I love it.

Beautiful footage all around, though! I appreciate these videos a ton.

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:21 pm

Wow. I can't believe how similar the in-game environment & the IRL Slough Creek looks! It just shows how much work is being put into the game. :)

DragonSoul720
Pup
Pup
Name: Soul

Post by DragonSoul720 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:46 pm

I am shocked at how closely the game represents the real place, you guys have done some fantastic work and I cannot wait to see the larger map in the new release :)

sophiaww
Pup
Pup

Post by sophiaww » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:09 am

I am amazed on how similar slough creek is to the game you guys did a great job for that. :) And I am so excited for the new expansion to the map!! Keep up the good work WolfQuest :wolf: p.s that was really funny at the last minute r.i.p blue blanket/pup :lol:
loboLoco wrote:It was really strange, actually, to visit a place that I know so well, and yet had never been to before.
Yeah that must be really strange but cool too!
Last edited by Isela on Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged posts. Please refrain from double posting. Edit your first post if no one has posted after you :]