What's Your Favorite Howl?

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

Choose Your Favorite Howl

Howl 1
21%
Howl 2
4%
Howl 3
4%
Howl 4
7%
Howl 5
21%
Howl 6
11%
Howl 7
25%
Howl 8
5%

Total votes: 135

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

What's Your Favorite Howl?

Post by loboLoco » Thu May 03, 2018 1:13 pm

[youtube]FGwUwoWTLxk[/youtube]
Video link:

Howls are iconic aspects of wolves — nothing says “wolf” like that long mournful howl in the distance. We know that players would like more howls to choose from when customizing their wolf. That’s in the works, along with some other improvements (including basic stuff like syncing the howl audio and animation better). As we work on new howls for WolfQuest 3, it would be very helpful to know which WQ 2.7 howls players most prefer. Hence this week’s poll: What’s your favorite howl? Please use the poll system to answer, unless you can’t, in which case you can give your answer in the comments below.

Hence this week’s poll: What’s your favorite howl? Please use the poll system to answer, unless you can’t, in which case you can give your answer in the comments below.

We’d also like to know a few other things:

* If you have more than one wolf, do you generally choose the same howl for all of them, or different howls?
* Do you feel strongly attached to your current howl(s), or would it be okay to have a different set in WolfQuest 3?

Thanks!
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

PearlyReborn
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Meg

Re: What's Your Favorite Howl?

Post by PearlyReborn » Thu May 03, 2018 1:15 pm

Usually when I make new wolves I try to keep their howls different, to make the experience a little more diverse. I try to choose howls that suit them, like for example a strong, powerful wolf having a deeper, more powerful howl.

I like the current howls but I'm totally open to adding new ones.

wolf_whisperer98
Pup
Pup
Name: Silver

Post by wolf_whisperer98 » Thu May 03, 2018 1:29 pm

:wolf: It was a tough poll considering how I have 3 favorites. I think players typically go for the deeper and more intimidating howls because it better suites their wolf's size and/or personality.
Glad to hear that more howls are being incorporated into the game! Keep up the good work! :)
:wolf:

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Thu May 03, 2018 1:31 pm

Voted #7 without hesitation in the forum poll, but I do also like howls #1 (for nostalgia!), #2 and #5.
loboLoco wrote:* If you have more than one wolf, do you generally choose the same howl for all of them, or different howls?
I prefer to assign different howls for each wolf if I can help it.
loboLoco wrote:* Do you feel strongly attached to your current howl(s)
Fairly attached, yes.
loboLoco wrote:would it be okay to have a different set in WolfQuest 3?
I wouldn't be opposed to new howl samples being added. It's nice having some variety, so anything new would probably benefit from being added in separately instead of replacing existing howl samples (forgive me if I am reading this question wrong); I would be a tad upset if howls #7 and #1 were removed and none of their replacements suited my preferences for the wolves I have that have those particular howls assigned to them. They wouldn't be the same.

Allikat10011
Pup
Pup
Name: Allikat

Post by Allikat10011 » Thu May 03, 2018 1:33 pm

I wouldn't mind a new howl system, as long as they keep number 5 howl (which is my fav) and maybe keep the 1st howl (I believe that is the original howl). I don't know that much about wolf wolves nor have I heard any in real life, so I trust your judgement on which howls to keep and which to delete. I was hoping for more (not sure how to describe it) fuller howls, like the 5th howl. The other howls especially number 8 are kinda less than pretty, no offence to anyone who likes those howls, I those just arn't exactly my cup of tea. Again, i'm not an expert on wolf howls or vocalization nor have i experienced any howls in my life, so maybe the howls such as the 8th howl are totally common in the wild. Personally, whatever makes the game more realistic is what I vote for.
To answer the questions, I normally find myself gravitating to the 5th and 1st howl for all my wolves, unless i'm feeling adventurous. And I wouldn't mind a change to some of the howls, as long as we keep it realistic. Oh, and a bonus note, we could add a small info sheet in the game that explains why wolves howl and maybe we can hear howls from other wolf packs.

Paige3138
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Paige3138 » Thu May 03, 2018 1:49 pm

If anything my favorite howl is definantly number 4, it is used for my favorite wolf. However I have to many wolves to count and I have used each howl at least once, I've heard that wolves howls change based on emotion. That would be very difficult to add in wolfquest 3, but I would like to keep all the howls, instead of them being replaced by a newer set that way there is some memory of the old game and if any the howls now are adorable and very realistic. But if I had to choose one to keep it would be #4. :wolf:

Arcturus221B
Pup
Pup
Name: Arcturus

Post by Arcturus221B » Thu May 03, 2018 1:50 pm

My main wolf uses Howl 5, because I think it quite fits him and it's one of the howls I like the most (the other being Howl 1). If I create other wolves they use either Howl 5 or 1.

I'm not a big fan of the other howls. Some like Howl 7 sound like they can be found somewhere on the internet or over on youtube; they don't sound really unique or life-like to me. As for the others, I once read that wolves in North-America (specifically wolves in Yellowstone) have a constant, lower pitch and 'flat' howl and most of the howls in WQ don't seem to reflect that because they go up and down in pitch or just have a high pitch (Howl 3, 4, 6 and 8 ). So I don't like to use those.

I wouldn't mind seeing a completely different, new set of howls to replace these, but for the sake of nostaglia, Howl 1 should always be a part of the game.

Brinnadaze
Pup
Pup
Name: Brianna

Post by Brinnadaze » Thu May 03, 2018 1:56 pm

I usually pick different howls to match the personalities of my wolves. Some of my more eccentric wolves might have a more 'wimpy' howl, or one of the funny-sounding ones. And I'm attached to the 2.7 howls, so I'd like them to still be an option in WQ 3 -- along with some new ones, of course! Variety is never a bad thing in my opinion! :wink:

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Thu May 03, 2018 1:58 pm

Howl #5 is so dull, though; I'm surprised so many use it and decided to vote for it in the poll!

I prefer howl #6 but I voted for howl #1-- it has the cleanest sound of the bunch, with howl #6 being the second cleanest, I think.

Polynesia
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Polynesia » Thu May 03, 2018 2:08 pm

Number 1 is the most beautiful in my opinion. It is long and mournful (the others are really short in comparison) and sounds like it would travel a very long distance, which makes it more haunting. The other howls don’t sound like they would carry very far. I think it’s because number 1 sounds more echo-y?

Number 1 sounds to me like a classic wolf howl (I think I have heard the exact same howl audio in movies before) and that is why I love it so much, and hope there will be more like it. :)
Last edited by Polynesia on Thu May 03, 2018 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paradiigm
Name: Atlas

Post by Paradiigm » Thu May 03, 2018 2:08 pm

I'm 50/50 on 4 and 8. I love them, and since they sound eerie, and since a lot of my OC wolves have "haunted" pasts, they are my go to howls. I also LOVE #1 for nostalgic reasons. 7, i have no idea lol

Echodextrous
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Echo

Post by Echodextrous » Thu May 03, 2018 2:10 pm

This is tough, I kind of have some "top 3 howls" that I alternate using depending on the wolf, in order they would be 6, 7, and 1, but I also love howl 5 and 2 depending on the size of my wolf. I am pretty attached to the howls my wolves have at the moment, however I think adding new howls; as well as having the the existing howls available, would be amazing! Sorry I hope that helped :D

DawnWings
Pup
Pup

Post by DawnWings » Thu May 03, 2018 2:15 pm

Howl #1 is what I prefer for similar reasons as Polynesia. It's the most beautiful sounding howl, and that sound is what comes to mind when I think classic/typical wolf howl.

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Thu May 03, 2018 2:20 pm

Glad to hear more howls will be added! I like #1 the best (the classic!), but # 5, and 7 sound really nice to me as well.

C00NH0UND
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by C00NH0UND » Thu May 03, 2018 2:32 pm

I chose #8, but I also love #7, and of course #1 because I always think of 'simpler' times when I hear it.

I personally use different howls for different wolves, just to go with size and personality.

I would personally prefer the current howls are kept, but I'm always open for new howls!