For Better or For Worse

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

For Better or For Worse

Post by loboLoco » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:43 am

[youtube]bRQsAh1ENKc[/youtube]
Video link:

In WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition, mates will not only have improved AI (using the new Utility AI method that offers more naturalistic behaviors), but each mate will have certain personality traits that make it unique. We’ve created a three-axis personality matrix that will affect how mates act and react throughout the game:

Cautious <> Bold
Social <> Loner
Energetic <> Lazy

There are upsides and downsides to every personality trait. For example, a more social mate will initiate playbows and other social, affinity-boosting actions more often than a loner mate. However, a highly social mate might prioritize hanging around the den rather than hunting alone. A bold mate will be quicker to attack coyotes, cougars, and grizzlies — thus more likely to be hurt or possibly even killed. A cautious mate might be more anxious about predators, and thus more vigilant — but more hesitant to engage in a fight. An energetic mate may be enthusiastic about carrying pups to the rendezvous site but require more food to keep health up. How else do you think these traits might affect their behavior?

Where it will get interesting is seeing how the traits combine for unique mate personalities. Is a social-lazy-bold wolf a good partner for you? What are the strengths and weaknesses of a cautious-energetic-loner? Of course, you won’t know the underlying “scores” of potential mates, but you will get some strong clues about a prospective mate’s personality, as well as their speed, strength and stamina, during courtship and in the new trial period (more about this later!). An ideal mate is the perfect complement to your own strengths and weaknesses so you two make a good team.

Our guess is that there will be some really amazing mates and a few that make you roll your eyes or even feel a bit relieved if you have to choose a new mate due to unfortunate circumstances. Yes, that will eventually be a thing...thanks for all the votes and comments on Fate of the Mate.*

What would you like to see in your mate? What’s the best mate you’ve had in WolfQuest? And the worst? Tell us your stories!

*Last November ago we posted a poll about the Fate of the Mate, and the majority liked the idea that the mate could be killed, but as an optional feature that players could enable or disable. We are definitely planning to add this feature, though it may come after the initlal game release.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: For Better or For Worse

Post by Koa » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:46 am

Our guess is that there will be some really amazing mates and a few that make you roll your eyes or even feel a bit relieved if you have to choose a new mate due to unfortunate circumstances. Yes, that will eventually be a thing...thanks for all the votes and comments on Fate of the Mate.*
Haha, this is great. I can't wait to experience all the different personalities! This definitely boosts the replay value of the game.

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:49 am

I love this. Mates dying will add so much more to the game! And now there is a lot to consider when choosing a mate, so more replayability!

I think my worst mate was in one of the 2.7 betas...where the mate just took a pup and ran away with it to the edge of the map somewhere. Pup eventually starved (it was the last pup alive, too!)
Last edited by SolitaryHowl on Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

AmberZeWolf
Yearling
Yearling

Post by AmberZeWolf » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:52 am

I love this! Oooh I'm gonna have so much fun when this update is finally done, no matter how long I have to wait, it's going to be so worth it with all of this effort to make the mate actually have a personality!

Black Burn
Name: BB for short

Post by Black Burn » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:58 am

Oh I love this! Hmm.. I think the best mate for my main wolf who is strong/bold/social, would be cautious or energetic.

I like to look for a mate who can hunt with good teamwork, take care of the pups, and will take the pups across the creek. I've come across some who are lazy with pups and terrible hunters..

Thanks for the update! Keep up the amazing work WolfQuest Team!

alethe
Name: [REDACTED]

Post by alethe » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:03 am

i love this! it adds more realism, and requires more thought of the player.

one question -- if your mate dies in game, even after pups, would you be given the option to go search for a new one?

PearlyReborn
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Meg

Post by PearlyReborn » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:06 am

This is awesome! I think I'd want a social-bold-energetic one myself.

As for the worst and best mates? The mates in 2.5 were always annoying, and the whole pup drowning issue was pretty bad, too. But I think the 2.7 mates are wonderful, because they make the river crossing significantly safer.

Paradiigm
Name: Atlas

Post by Paradiigm » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:07 am

I am SO stoked for all the changes in WQ3! Correct me if I am wrong, but this is a FREE update to 2.7, yes?

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:12 am

alethe wrote:if your mate dies in game, even after pups, would you be given the option to go search for a new one?
Yes, you'll have that option.
Paradiigm wrote:[ I am SO stoked for all the changes in WQ3! Correct me if I am wrong, but this is a FREE update to 2.7, yes?
That's right -- WQ3 is a free update to 2.7 (but Tower Fall will cost more).
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

Paradiigm
Name: Atlas

Post by Paradiigm » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:19 am

Alright, thanks Dave!

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:31 am

I feel like this bigger variety in mate personality will really add to the single player experience, so I'm definitely looking forward to finding out more about these personalities first-hand.

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: EMK

Post by Phasoli » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:15 pm

Wow! What a dream come true! Looking for a mate will definitely be far more complex and engaging. I love it so much!

I can imagine that the mates from this version will be far superior to that of the previous versions. I can't wait to hear more about the new courtship gameplay. I'm so stoked for this game!

airbones
Name: Razza

Post by airbones » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:46 pm

Between the personality of your mate and all your pups, I have a feeling day-to-day life in this game is going to be a lot more... interesting. :') Love the video by the way. Darn Luna.

MysteryFoxSpirt
Pup
Pup
Name: Mystery

Post by MysteryFoxSpirt » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:00 pm

You guys are so awsome! I love how your making the game so realistic. (Obviously, this game was a wolf life simulator, so if course you guys would make it more real!) Can wait to play the real game. Some day, I hope to be one of your game testers, so I can help test for bugs. And hopefully smash those bugs! Keep up the good work! :wolf:

Paige3138
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Paige3138 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:12 pm

Well I certainly am glad that the death of your mate can be toggled. And I sure do hope I get a good mate, >-< my hope is to get a semi social wolf but not to social. And. a semi bold wolf but not too bold. You guys are doing an amzimg job at this keep up the good work and I can't wait for the release :). I will most certainly make purchases once it comes out. Thank you guys for working so hard to make game experience better for players.