Playful Pups

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Playful Pups

Post by loboLoco » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:29 pm

[youtube]eBpLVAHvxHI[/youtube]
Video link:

Raising pups is the core mission of Slough Creek: choosing a den, keeping pups fed, defending against predators, building pack affinity, and getting them safely to the summer rendezvous! In WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition, we will be updating and improving the pups. Here is a sneak peak of some new animations that we know you will love!

FAQs

Will there be more dens?
Yes, with the bigger maps, there will be more dens to choose from.

Can we dig? Can we make our own den?
No, not for this update. Digging wherever you want is more complicated technically than you might imagine! As is choosing your own den locations.

Can we go inside the den?
We know this would be a very popular feature, but remember that dens are small, dark, and crowded — not much you can do in there except curl up and sleep. So that makes it tricky in various ways, but we understand it would be a popular addition.

Can the pups be newborn?
As in earlier versions of WolfQuest, the pups will a appear when they are six weeks old and big enough to live outside the den. It would be fun to have them when they are newborns but they don’t do much except sleep and whine. Maybe someday.

Will there be variable litter sizes?
Yes. Litter size in WQ3 will vary (probably between 4 and 7, but we’ll tune that during beta testing).

Will pups have personalities?
Yes, they will — just like your mate!

Will pups have different coat colors?
Yes, if you missed the pup genetics video, go check it out! Genes Behind the Scenes at Read the blog post/description for FAQs about coats colors.

Will our pups get ill?
Yes, there will be a chance your pups might get sick and they also might or might not recover.

Are all the predator improvements going to make it impossible to defend our pups?
No, you will be able to choose the difficulty level, as in the current game. We will calibrate the gameplay so you can successfully raise your pups even with wilier coyotes and more dynamic stranger wolf packs.

Can we play as pups?
We know lots of players would love to play as pups! Maybe someday!

Can we continue with our pups after getting to the summer rendezvous site?
Yes, the upcoming episode Tower Fall will continue your life with pups. In the first weeks of June, the pups frolic at the rendezvous site in Slough Creek while their parents bring them their first meals of fresh elk meat. When the elk herds move down into the Lamar Valley, the pack follows — only to find other packs have already established territories in the valley. So they journey further south, up and over Specimen Ridge, then down into the valley of the Yellowstone River. There, on the banks of the Yellowstone, with Tower Fall thundering nearby, the pack makes a new home amidst fellow predators and plentiful prey. Here the pack will stake out a new territory, protect their family from danger, and raise a new generation of skilled hunters. The Tower Fall expansion will be an in-game purchase that we think will be about $6-8. It will be released later in 2018 (after WQ 3).

Can our pups grow up and help raise the next generation of pups? Can they stay with our pack or disperse?
Keep in mind, even at the end of Tower Fall, your pups will still be only eight months old. Someday we hope to add a winter episode that would last through spring, when the next litter is born. Wolves generally disperse at about two years old.

When will WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition be released?
We are still hoping to release the game later this year but do not have a release date yet. Why so long? We started out making a new episode (Tower Fall) but soon realized it would be better to update the whole game first. If you have been following our progress, you know that we keep thinking of awesome new improvements and WQ3 will be a whole new game from the ground up. We know it is hard to wait and we appreciate everyone’s patience. We think it will be worth it!

How can I support WolfQuest game development?
• Buy the game!
• Tell your friends that WolfQuest is a great game! Games sales are why a little game about wolf ecology is still going strong after more than ten years.
• Give WolfQuest as a gift to a friend! Steam and itch.io make it easy to gift games.
• Buy the music extras and consider leaving a tip.
Donate to game development
• Follow, subscribe, and support WolfQuest on social media and Steam. Good buzz keeps WolfQuest alive.
• Write reviews. Great ratings and positive reviews from our fabulous players make a huge difference. Take the time to give WQ some love wherever you are online.

We appreciate all the ways players support WolfQuest! We truly wouldn't be here doing this without you.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

2wolf22
Pup
Pup

Re: Playful Pups

Post by 2wolf22 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:59 pm

Just watched the video on YouTube! they are so cute! :mrgreen: I can't stop thinking about how fun WQ 3 is gonna be! :D

chickiefoo
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by chickiefoo » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:10 pm

Holy guacamole, the animation is amazing! So smooth! :O

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:14 pm

I can strongly relate to the parent wolf sleeping, that’s how I felt when raising my puppy...exhausted all the time!

Beautiful animations, very smooth! My favourite is the one shaking the stick

poncho0287
Pup
Pup

Post by poncho0287 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:18 pm

I just watched the video and the pups are so cute and adorable :D keep up the great work WQ Team.

MysteryFoxSpirt
Pup
Pup
Name: Mystery

Post by MysteryFoxSpirt » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:20 pm

*Starts dying of cuteness*

And, an important question. Will you make cut scenes for the transitions between Amethyst and Slough, and Slough to Tower? If would be cool. Maybe in 3.5 hehe!

And if I get 7 pups, I better have an active mate! :wolf:

Sableback
Pup
Pup

Post by Sableback » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:54 pm

D'aww these puppies are so cute!!
And the animation is so fluid and natural. Four-legged animals are hard to animate but, man, y'all did a perfect job.

sophiaww
Pup
Pup

Post by sophiaww » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:00 pm

Oh my gosh those pups are so cute!!! I like how the pups can play with sticks. Will pups have health and hunger bars or will it be like the old game? If a pup is sick will the player be told that, and how would a sickness affect a pup? Will you be able to tell if a pup if weak? Anyway keep up the good work WolfQuest :wolf:

IceaPlayzPC
Name: Icea or Emile

Post by IceaPlayzPC » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:06 pm

My gosh they're so cute!!! I love the new puppies, they look so fluffy and huggable. I'll protect them with my life!

I love the adult wolf that's sleeping and isn't bothered by the constant noise the pups are making xD Keep up the good work! Can't wait to protect the little fluffy puppies!!

XxDestinyHeartxX
Pup
Pup
Name: Destiny/Dest

Post by XxDestinyHeartxX » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:34 pm

Oh. My. Gosh. I can barely stand the cuteness!

Are those the final models for the puppies? And also, how are the size of the litters going to be decided? Keep up the good work, as you always do!!

Sunset-Light
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Sunset-Light » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:46 pm

Ooh, this looks great and the pups are adorable! Keep up the amazing work!

Perhaps someday the infamous Zombie Pup will return?

Alakaru_1
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: Mia or Momo

Post by Alakaru_1 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:51 pm

I love the animations so much, wow <3 And the adult wolf at the end looks so nice!

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:06 pm

XxDestinyHeartxX wrote:Oh. My. Gosh. I can barely stand the cuteness!

Are those the final models for the puppies? And also, how are the size of the litters going to be decided? Keep up the good work, as you always do!!
Your litter size may be affected by your pups’ genes.
loboloco wrote:* If you have a gray coat (kk), then choosing a black wolf (which is probably Kk) gives your pups at least a 50% chance to be Kk, and thus have higher disease resistance.
* If you have a black coat (probably Kk, but small chance of KK), choosing another black wolf could give your pups higher disease resistance — but there’s a good chance (25% to 100%) that some pups will die before birth. Litter size in WQ3 will vary (probably between 4 and 7, but we’ll tune that during beta testing), and this risk of a KK pup will add another element of uncertainty to litter size.
Genes Behind the Scenes
Last edited by paperpaws on Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: fixed it for you - your quotation marks were broken/different

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: EMK

Post by Phasoli » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:36 pm

Oh, my little heart has melted at the sight of these little lovelies! I'd definitely be more willing to defend these babs with my life! Goodness, not only are the models absolutely adorable, but the animations--just wow! Look at how smooth and seamless they are! All of the new animations have come a long way from the choppy transitional animations of the old game, and witnessing these small improvements just fills me with so much satisfaction!

Gillato
Pup
Pup
Name: Vigilante'

Post by Gillato » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:12 pm

Oh my Gosh!! there soooo cute! i really like the animations and the textures of the rocks and the background
oh and im hoping to buy the pelt patterns will that help?"