Ōkami

Discuss other games. (Video games, tabletop games, etc.)

Moderator: Neamara

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Re: Okami, for the PS2, and Wii

Post by SolitaryHowl » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:17 pm

I wonder why its not going to be released on the Switch. Maybe Nintendo just didn't approve of it & think its a threat to their Zelda series: it was supposed to be the 'Zelda-killer' back in its PS2 days.
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

Shiranuiii
Name: Shiranui

Post by Shiranuiii » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:34 pm

Ahh okami, possibly one of my favourite games, as you can probably tell by my name haha. Finished it on wii about 5 or 6 times though it was years ago, currently working on beating it on my ps3 though cx

@Anduril I hope it comes to steam too, that'd be rad honestly.
𝟣𝟥/𝟣𝟢/𝟢𝟪 | 𝟣𝟧 𝗒𝖾𝖺𝗋𝗌 𝗈𝖿 𝖶𝗈𝗅𝖿𝗊𝗎𝖾𝗌𝗍
𝖣𝖾𝖼𝖾𝗆𝖻𝖾𝗋 𝟤𝟢𝟣𝟩 | 𝖴𝖮𝖳𝖬
𝖠𝗏𝖺𝗍𝖺𝗋 | Lupe

Writers Block
Name: Mika, Lynx

Post by Writers Block » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:47 am

Oh gosh, I love this game so much! I already have a copy for the PS2 but I might buy the PC version depending on how the controls are. I've played it through a few times, though I believe the last time I played was like a year ago because I couldn't get past one of the blockheads. (Honestly the hardest part of the entire game... I can never get past them and I have yet to figure out how to remember their combinations. When I do beat them it's mostly through luck more than memorization or skill.)
we are not history yet.
we are happening now.
how miraculous is that?
avvie©mute
quote©wtnv

Shiranuiii
Name: Shiranui

Post by Shiranuiii » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:28 am

• I feel your pain honestly, the blockheads annoyed me too, I particularly disliked the boat part where you have to attach the vines to the log on time.
𝟣𝟥/𝟣𝟢/𝟢𝟪 | 𝟣𝟧 𝗒𝖾𝖺𝗋𝗌 𝗈𝖿 𝖶𝗈𝗅𝖿𝗊𝗎𝖾𝗌𝗍
𝖣𝖾𝖼𝖾𝗆𝖻𝖾𝗋 𝟤𝟢𝟣𝟩 | 𝖴𝖮𝖳𝖬
𝖠𝗏𝖺𝗍𝖺𝗋 | Lupe

Writers Block

Post by Writers Block » Tue May 01, 2018 7:39 am

One of my very dear friends bought me Okami for the PC! I started playing it last night. The controls are a little janky (F1 is the skip button which feels SO unintuitive to me; I had to look it up to figure it out) and I'm struggling a bit with the fight scenes because it's clearly designed so that you used your left hand to move Ammy with the WASD keys and your right hand on the mouse to attack. However I don't have a mouse and using a trackpad is a little hard :') I'm fiddling with the control options to see what works better for me. Also I'm a little upset because even though I have a touch screen I can't seem to use it with the brush tool since the ink always comes up above or below my finger (even though I don't have this problem when I use my mouse with the brush) so that's a little disappointing since again, track pads are hard to use, but I'll live.

Has anyone who has the PC game noticed a difference in the dialogue at all? I haven't gotten far enough to notice anything super concrete but I noticed that at one point Sakuya refers to Ammy as a god, which I thought was interesting because I only ever remember her being called a goddess in my PS2 version. It was in the opening sequence though so it's possible she was referring to Ammy as Shiranui and I just missed it. (I admittedly wasn't paying super close attention since I've seen that opening sequence so many times before.)
we are not history yet.
we are happening now.
how miraculous is that?
avvie©mute
quote©wtnv

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Re: Ōkami

Post by paperpaws » Tue May 01, 2018 7:51 am

The PC version does have controller support if you or anyone you know has an xbox controller lying around; I haven't tried playing with keyboard and mouse but controller works nicely enough. That's disappointing about the touch screen, though. Do the resolution settings affect that in any way?

I did notice the client itself is a bit of a mess. It gave me more issues than I'd like to admit. When you finally manage to work around that, though, it's the good old Okami experience as remembered. I can't say anything about the dialogue as I definitely do and did not remember specifics.

As an aside, I changed the topic title as the original title referred to the PS2 and Wii. Figured to take it out as there are plenty of other platforms the series are available on now. Which reminds me, I kind of regret getting it on Steam before the Switch announcement - had I known for sure it'd be released on the Switch, I'd have probably picked it up on there (although I do love my Steam achievements).

Writers Block

Post by Writers Block » Tue May 01, 2018 9:52 am

I don't have an XBox controller unfortunately, nor do I know of anyone who has one. My brother always seems to have miscellaneous video game parts lying around though so maybe once I get home I'll ask if he has one. I do think playing with the resolution settings might help, I didn't bother testing them out last night since I wasn't prompted to choose my display options when booting up the game but I'm sure there are settings in Steam I can change.

I didn't know that Okami was coming out on Switch! I don't have a switch so I guess I don't have much use for that information, but that's pretty cocol to know o: I'm glad that it's a popular enough game that they think it's worth adapting it to all of these different platforms; I don't actually know of anyone off of niche threads like this that have played the game, and the few that have heard of it barely know what it's about. I did see a whole lot of Okami art when I went to a convention the other day though, which surprised me. Maybe it's a very popular game and I'm just in the wrong social circles. :P I think the fact that fans tend to like the game to buy it on more than one platform helps, haha.

Speaking of other platforms -- I still have yet to finish Okamiden rip in pieces. I'll probably get to it one day, but for whatever reason I just keep forgetting that I have a DS to remember I have unfinished games I need to complete on it. I always enjoy the game when I do play it, but it's so far and inbetween that at this rate I'll probably never finish, lol.
we are not history yet.
we are happening now.
how miraculous is that?
avvie©mute
quote©wtnv

Noxeon
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Name: Eon

Post by Noxeon » Tue May 01, 2018 10:27 am

They are making this for Nintendo switch? I was really hoping they would but I didn't think they actually would! I so want to get this for the switch, I loved playing Okami but unfortunately my cat broke my Wii before I was able to finish the game xD

˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙
˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙⚫˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙
❖❖❖ ―――――――――― ❖❖❖
The ɗɑʀkɳɛรร falls around
me at night

αиd cαяvєร мє
wiтн รilєиcє รσ
bяigнт
❖❖❖ ―――――――――― ❖❖❖
˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Tue May 01, 2018 10:41 am

Noxeon wrote:They are making this for Nintendo switch? I was really hoping they would but I didn't think they actually would! I so want to get this for the switch, I loved playing Okami but unfortunately my cat broke my Wii before I was able to finish the game xD
Yep! It was originally announced in one of the Nintendo Directs. Seems like a fantastic addition to the Switch library if you have one.

That's a hilariously specific reason for not being able to finish a game, by the way.

Noxeon
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Name: Eon

Post by Noxeon » Tue May 01, 2018 12:10 pm

paperpaws wrote:
Noxeon wrote:They are making this for Nintendo switch? I was really hoping they would but I didn't think they actually would! I so want to get this for the switch, I loved playing Okami but unfortunately my cat broke my Wii before I was able to finish the game xD
Yep! It was originally announced in one of the Nintendo Directs. Seems like a fantastic addition to the Switch library if you have one.

That's a hilariously specific reason for not being able to finish a game, by the way.
Ooh sweet! and yeah my cat ripped a chord from my Wii U in half about two years ago. Turns out that specific chord couldn't be replaced without buying a whole new system, so I haven't been able to play it. I am so happy to hear it is coming to switch because I have been dying to play Okami since!

˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙
˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙⚫˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙
❖❖❖ ―――――――――― ❖❖❖
The ɗɑʀkɳɛรร falls around
me at night

αиd cαяvєร мє
wiтн รilєиcє รσ
bяigнт
❖❖❖ ―――――――――― ❖❖❖
˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙

Writers Block

Post by Writers Block » Fri May 04, 2018 6:24 pm

Alright, I've got a question about the PC version/computer games in general. So, I love playing it, and it works fine... for the most part. After a few minutes my laptop heats up until it's burning hot, and my game starts lagging (not like it can't load, but like everything's moving in slow motion -- the loading screens actually still tend to work faster than they ever did on my PS2, funnily enough) I'm not a huge gamer so I don't play a ridiculous amount of games on my laptop, but I've never felt it heat up like this while watching movies or playing other steam games. Should I be worried, is there a point where the heat could melt something?? Is there anything I can do to keep it from heating up so much? I tried holding my laptop so the bottom doesn't touch anything so it has more room to "breathe"/circulate which seemed to help, but I'm worried about whether or not that would help over the long term. This isn't a gaming laptop so I'm a bit concerned that it might just not be strong enough to deal with a game as big as Okami, but I'm trying to find out if there are solutions since I'd really hate to stop playing this game. ): I'm much more inclined to play on my laptop than my PS2, since it's such a hassle for me to set everything up and put everything away every time I want to play (not to mention that I a) don't live at home for more of the year now, and b) my basement no longer has a couch so I'd just be slumping all over that cold tile floor, aha)

This game absolutely eats up my battery too (I haven't had too many chances to play it yet since I'm in the middle of finals, but the one time I sat down and played for an extended period of time I went from almost full charged to 5% in about 45 minutes) so I'm really not sure if this just isn't the correct game and laptop match, which makes me so sad ):

EDIT -- Forgot to mention, according to Steam my laptop has all of the requirements needed to run the game. Except that my processor is a Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz, and they recommend a Intel® Core™ i7 3770 3.4GHz (and a minimum of Intel® Core™ i5-2500,3.3GHz) Is this where my issue lies? I can see the numbers aren't the same, but I don't know enough about computers to tell if mine is better or worse than the recommended. (shrug emoji)
Last edited by Writers Block on Fri May 04, 2018 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
we are not history yet.
we are happening now.
how miraculous is that?
avvie©mute
quote©wtnv

DaniBeez

Post by DaniBeez » Fri May 04, 2018 6:27 pm

Sounds like you're putting your machine to work! My laptop can barely run WQ :lol:.

I can't comment on if your hardware is up to the task, but I can recommend that you always use your laptop on a hard surface, be it a table to a laptop-specific board. Gives your fans both a place to pull air in and push it out!
DaniBeez
___Community member since 2010
___Avatar by Sambhur

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Wed May 09, 2018 1:28 am

I wouldn't be surprised if the Okami client is optimised poorly. That's a real shame.
Writers Block wrote:Should I be worried, is there a point where the heat could melt something??
As far as I am aware, there is a genuine risk of frying the connection to your GPU.

I don't think your processor should be the issue here as I have a worse processor than you do and my game runs fine. I also only have 4GB RAM as opposed to the recommended 8GB, which is no problem. I'm going to guess it is likely to be your graphics card as laptop/"mobile" graphics cards tend to be relatively bad in comparison to regular, desktop GPUs.

You could try running the game at a lower/non-HD resolution to see if it makes any difference, or tuning down the graphical settings. I'd definitely be careful with heating up your laptop all too much.

Writers Block

Post by Writers Block » Wed May 09, 2018 7:48 am

Thanks Anduril, that's good to know. In case it's not obvious, I have very little gaming experience; I think I've only ever completed, like, 5 video games over the course of my life? Even as a kid I was notoriously bad at figuring out how to finish really easy games like Pajama Sam or Freddy Fish. xP You're probably right that it's the graphics card though; since this isn't a gaming laptop it's not too hard to imagine that my graphics card just isn't strong enough. Thanks for the tips though, I'll turn down the graphics settings and see if that helps (which seems to destroy the point of buying the game in HD, but... what can you do).
we are not history yet.
we are happening now.
how miraculous is that?
avvie©mute
quote©wtnv

Masika
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Masika » Wed May 16, 2018 6:50 am

I'm really pleased that they are releasing this for the switch; this game is a personal favourite of mine and is super nostalgic for me. I'm definitely going to be getting it! I have not played Okami since it was released for the PS3, so a long time. Although, part of me wishes they would create a new game rather than constantly recycling the current game for different platforms.
« A PRIVATE LIFE IS A HAPPY LIFE.»
•••
Icon (c) coyoteflu