Page 218 of 218

Re: Another wolf computer game.

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:30 pm
by Koa
I tried to get WOLF running on my old desktop again (just utilizing the files that have been there since I downloaded the game) but to no avail. I'll have to look into redownloading the game once I get my laptop fixed.

Re: Another wolf computer game.

Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:20 am
by Ecliptic
Either WOLF or the similar LION gave me a virus a long time ago, when I found out about it. It probably wasn't from the right place. Maybe I'll try to get it again sometime, though.

Re: Another wolf computer game.

Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:36 am
by Koa
FYI, the oldgames.sk download seems somewhat broken, incomplete, and buggy. Wolf pictures are marred by a pink box, and what was once informative text during loading screens is gibberish.

Re: Another wolf computer game.

Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:45 pm
by paperpaws
Koa wrote:FYI, the oldgames.sk download seems somewhat broken, incomplete, and buggy. Wolf pictures are marred by a pink box, and what was once informative text during loading screens is gibberish.
Huh. Good to know. I'll add a note to the first post.

Re: Another wolf computer game.

Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:41 pm
by Koa
Anduril wrote:
Koa wrote:FYI, the oldgames.sk download seems somewhat broken, incomplete, and buggy. Wolf pictures are marred by a pink box, and what was once informative text during loading screens is gibberish.
Huh. Good to know. I'll add a note to the first post.
Thanks. I don't remember the version I originally downloaded for my desktop, but that version was definitely complete and free of glitches.

Re: Another wolf computer game.

Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:15 pm
by paperpaws
Koa wrote:
Anduril wrote:
Koa wrote:FYI, the oldgames.sk download seems somewhat broken, incomplete, and buggy. Wolf pictures are marred by a pink box, and what was once informative text during loading screens is gibberish.
Huh. Good to know. I'll add a note to the first post.
Thanks. I don't remember the version I originally downloaded for my desktop, but that version was definitely complete and free of glitches.
The originally provided one and the one I've always used without trouble is the one from Abandonia. You have to download the DOSBox client separately and get it running through there, but it's honestly not much of a hassle.

I never tried the pre-packaged client. It sounded promising; it's a shame the file integrity is lacking.

Re: Another wolf computer game.

Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:51 pm
by SkollWolf
Oof, I wish I had seen this thread when I first played WOLF! I had so much trouble with the controls and installing the game. This made me want to play it again...

Re: Another wolf computer game.

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:00 am
by TheOnlyTherian
Does anyone play this game still?
I'm quite new to the game but I have problems with it and I'm not sure if I will have to reinstall the game. The problem is, whenever I press "H" to hear, it flickers for half a second or so and does not stay on the screen for me to see where the sound is coming from. Also, sometimes the game controls it's self and it's just weird overall!

Re: Another wolf computer game.

Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:46 am
by ForeverEverest
This game sounds pretty interesting, I might have to give it a go someday.
I'm a little curious about something though. I have a few old PC games (CD-ROMs) that don't work on newer PCs, but my old computer can still run a few. Does anyone know if DOSBox would possibly allow me to run some of them on my laptop?

Re: Another wolf computer game.

Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:44 am
by paperpaws
ForeverEverest wrote:This game sounds pretty interesting, I might have to give it a go someday.
I'm a little curious about something though. I have a few old PC games (CD-ROMs) that don't work on newer PCs, but my old computer can still run a few. Does anyone know if DOSBox would possibly allow me to run some of them on my laptop?
Not likely. I'm going to assume those older CD-ROM games were developed for Windows. You'll have to see if they're MS-DOS compatible. I'm going to guess they're made for 16 bit Windows, though, which are a nightmare to get to work on newer computers.

Re: Another wolf computer game.

Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:01 am
by ForeverEverest
I just looked up one of the games I was to play most (which doesn't work on either my laptop or old computer, only the old Windows Vista laptop that takes like 10 minutes to start up) on Wikipedia, and it says it was made for MS-DOS. I'm guessing I should download DOSBox and give it a go, and I'll be sure to let you know if it works.

Edit: It's working! My brother used to love that game, so I'm sure he'll be really happy to play it again. I appreciate the help!

Re: Another wolf computer game.

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:38 pm
by noir_187
Wolf is a great game. For an MS-DOS game, the graphics are actually quite beautiful and the music is great. I'm still figuring everything out, but I have fun whenever I start it up. Scenarios in particular are fun, but man are they challenging. I remember playing the one where you play an injured wolf that has to find water. The only source of water is extremely far away, by the time you reach it you're seconds away from running out of time so you really need to be fast. And because you're injured, your movement speed is much slower... i died countless of times on that one lol

I don't mind a challenge though. What I do mind is those hunters and planes, they're a real pain

TheOnlyTherian wrote:Does anyone play this game still?
I'm quite new to the game but I have problems with it and I'm not sure if I will have to reinstall the game. The problem is, whenever I press "H" to hear, it flickers for half a second or so and does not stay on the screen for me to see where the sound is coming from. Also, sometimes the game controls it's self and it's just weird overall!
I had a similar issue with hearing until i configured my audio setting correctly. When you open dosbox and go wolf, instead of typing "wolf" or "wolf.exe" type "setup" or "setup.exe" to configure your sound. Set your sound effects to "sound source" and music to "sound blaster."

as for the game controlling itself, if you press A, that enables autoplay so the game will play itself. Pressing A again after pressing autoplay will put you back in control.