Nintendo Switch

Discuss other video games.

Moderators: Neamara, paperpaws

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Nintendo Switch

Post by Neamara » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:00 am

I think a thread for this console is long overdue. ;)
Nintendo Switch is designed to go wherever you do, transforming from home console to portable system in a snap. So you get more time to play the games you love, however you like.
Wikipedia wrote:The Nintendo Switch is the seventh major video game console developed by Nintendo. Known in development by its codename NX, it was unveiled in October 2016 and was released worldwide on March 3, 2017. Nintendo considers the Switch a "hybrid" console: it is designed primarily as a home console, with the main unit inserted onto a docking station to connect to a television. Alternatively, it can be removed from the dock and used similarly to a tablet computer through its LCD touchscreen, or placed in a standalone tabletop mode visible to several players.
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Switch
Page on Nintendo's website: https://www.nintendo.com/switch/

Feel free to discuss the Switch, its future, your likes and dislikes about it, etc. You may share Switch friend codes here.

I'm pleasantly surprised to see some good games available for it so far, both available now and coming soon. I must say I'm impressed that Nintendo is finally branching out to other audiences with this console. I bought my Switch in May 2017 back when there was a major shortage of stock. :') So far I'm enjoying this console more than I had originally thought I would, though I mostly play mine in portable mode around the house, though i don't dare take it out and about with me - my 3DS is more than enough for out-of-house portable gaming needs.

I've got a very small library at the moment. Even so, if anyone wants to add me, here's my friend code: SW-7220-7090-5161
(I'll add people from this thread when I next pick up my Switch!)
I don't fear death -- I fear people.

[
XBL] • [PSN]
[
Switch SW-7220-7090-5161]

alethe
Name: [REDACTED]

Re: Nintendo Switch

Post by alethe » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:02 am

I would love love love a Switch, but sadly my father has formed a personal vendetta against any and all video games (my brother has an addiction, to say the least), and I've asked for one for me but 100%, each time, shot down. Its annoying, but that's how it is. I don't have the money myself to buy one on my own.

So I will sit with my wii u and watch, longingly.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I eat danger for breakfast!
Actually, I don’t. I prefer cereal.

av/sig : lupe

paperpaws
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:07 pm

I impulse-bought mine, the Super Mario Odyssey red one, whilst lying on my bed with a raging, infernal headache and a crippling desire to play Mario Kart. Had it the next day, which I believe was Super Mario Odyssey's release date, much to the chagrin of my friend who had been waiting on Odyssey ever since it was announced, since I ended up getting it before him. Ha ha ha.

I really love the Switch as a concept and I'm in love with the handful of games I have, but I have to say I'm also a bit sad it appears to be a more-sensible-to-buy-these-games-on-Steam machine so far. I'm hoping for a virtual console similar to what they had on the WiiU, since I never actually owned a WiiU, if nothing else for the sake of having some more Nintendo-exclusive titles. I'm hoping for an excuse to buy Kirby sometime, but for a single-player experience I find it a bit too expensive and I don't really have anyone I could play it with right now.

I also mainly use mine in portable/handheld mode around the house. I've used it out of the house a couple of times, though, one time for a local Mario Kart match with my friend whilst we were waiting to board our plane in London Gatwick. It's perfect for times like those.

My friend code is SW-2203-6362-1346, in case anyone would like to add me!

Nayoxii
Name: C0rgi/Shiranui

Post by Nayoxii » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:37 pm

• aaa, I too, would love a switch, I've been a fan of Nintendo for so long and I used to buy a new one whenever it would come out, but sadly I am broke too. It's on my list to get one day, when I magically become rich, haha. cx
    I hear Okami is coming out on it, so I'm super upset that I don't have one yet ):
𝟣𝟥/𝟣𝟢/𝟢𝟪 | 𝟣𝟢 𝗒𝖾𝖺𝗋𝗌 𝗈𝖿 𝖶𝗈𝗅𝖿𝗊𝗎𝖾𝗌𝗍
𝖣𝖾𝖼𝖾𝗆𝖻𝖾𝗋 𝟤𝟢𝟣𝟩 | 𝖴𝖮𝖳𝖬
𝖠𝗏𝖺𝗍𝖺𝗋 | 𝖫𝗎𝗉𝖾

Sambhur
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Sambhur » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:27 pm

I want a switch but I always absolutely neglect my consoles and play PC games instead so I'm not sure if I should get one haha. It has games I want to play though so who knows, if I somehow have enough spare cash I might end up with one. I generally play my nintendo consoles way more than my other ones so I prooobably wouldn't regret buying one.
freelance artist/illustrator // biology student and wildlife enthusiast // sometimes i draw things for WQ

[instagram] [facebook] [twitter] [prints]
[click here to tell me what to draw]

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:43 pm

I am wary of buying another Nintendo console: I regret buying my Wii U because there are only 3 games that I enjoy playing on it.
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

Tistrunk
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Tistrunk » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:32 am

I was so hesitant to buy a Switch as well, but I've grown to love it. The games so far have been really solid. Sure, there aren't a ton of them still, but I'm hoping the year 2 of the console will be even better than the release year. Probably not for the Nintendo games, but a lot of other developers are converting their games to Switch.

ForeverEverest
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Everest/Evie

Post by ForeverEverest » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:54 am

I like the idea of a switch, but the price puts me off a lot. The console itself is expensive compared to consoles from the 3DS family. Although it is more capable, I wonder if it's worth the money when I already own a 3DS and 2DS XL. Then once you've purchased the console, the games are really expensive. There are some things about it that make me want to go for one, but it's a lot of money. I don't want to just charge in and regret it. My brother's friend has one, and I watched him playing a Sonic game on it. The screen looked pretty small to me, and the writing on the screen was also small, and difficult to read because of it. Though if the next pokémon games are coming out on the switch only, then I'll probably want to follow. I think the size of the device means you'd have to hold it further away from your face that the typical 3DS console. This could make it hard to see the very small details.
I think I would be okay with this, but my question is:

Is the Nintendo Switch worth the money?

I would love to know a little bit more about it, and whether you guys think it's worth going for or not. I am certainly interested, but I'm just wondering how much it can do that a 3DS or Wii U can't.
╔════--══--══--════╗
The howling cold wind,
the soft summer breeze.
They remind me a little,
of chalk and cheese.

╚════--══--══--════╝
Amazing avatar by: LupinzPack

paperpaws
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:01 pm

I think the answer to that question really depends on whether the pros outweigh the cons for you. The Switch is a pretty powerful and versatile console with a great offer of games, but as you mentioned also pretty pricey, not to mention the games themselves are pricey as well. A lot of third-party games that are released on Switch are available on Steam as well, usually for cheaper and with Steam achievements (if you care about those - I do, haha).
ForeverEverest wrote:My brother's friend has one, and I watched him playing a Sonic game on it. The screen looked pretty small to me, and the writing on the screen was also small, and difficult to read because of it.
The screen is something you get used to, and there's always the option of hooking it up to a television. I was more hesitant about the tiny controllers, but they're less inconvenient than they look as well.
ForeverEverest wrote:I would love to know a little bit more about it, and whether you guys think it's worth going for or not. I am certainly interested, but I'm just wondering how much it can do that a 3DS or Wii U can't.
The Switch is definitely a more powerful console than the 3DS, which allows for more demanding games. I'd say it is more versatile than the WiiU, as the Switch is portable and a lot easier to turn into a multiplayer device. You're not confined to a television if you don't want to, and you can basically play wherever there is some table space.

I do not regret buying mine, but I do have a monthly income. I think it would be best if you started from an angle of which games you would like to play on the Switch. If they are not exclusive to the Switch, you might find it would be more sensible to buy them for the WiiU or on Steam (or wherever else).

For what it's worth, the Switch allows you to make multiple player profiles, each with their respective save files. Maybe you could split and share with your brother?

ForeverEverest
Yearling
Yearling

Post by ForeverEverest » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:15 pm

Anduril wrote:For what it's worth, the Switch allows you to make multiple player profiles, each with their respective save files. Maybe you could split and share with your brother?
This sounds like a good idea, but then when we first got it I'm sure we'd be squabbling over who plays first. My brother owns a Wii U, so I often play a few games on there with him, but I don't have my own personal non-portable console. To me, the switch feels a bit like a Wii U that you can take out and about with you. I like the idea of looking at games to help decide whether I think it's worth it or not, and I'll be sure to have a look later.

Though I have suddenly realized something else... Do you know how long the battery power lasts usually?

I like devices I can use on long trips out. My 3DS and 2DS XL often seem to last between 2-3 hours of constant use, possibly a little more for the 2DS XL. Although that is good, I still have to plan charging times before going on a long trip.
╔════--══--══--════╗
The howling cold wind,
the soft summer breeze.
They remind me a little,
of chalk and cheese.

╚════--══--══--════╝

paperpaws
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:08 am

ForeverEverest wrote:This sounds like a good idea, but then when we first got it I'm sure we'd be squabbling over who plays first.
Yeahh, that could be a problem. Games like Kirby, Mario Kart, and Mario Odyssey all have some sort of local multiplayer support, but when it comes to Breath of the Wild for example, that's single-player only and also very time-consuming and addictive. So, the appeal of sharing a Switch likely also depends on what games you are interested in getting.
ForeverEverest wrote:Though I have suddenly realized something else... Do you know how long the battery power lasts usually?

I like devices I can use on long trips out. My 3DS and 2DS XL often seem to last between 2-3 hours of constant use, possibly a little more for the 2DS XL. Although that is good, I still have to plan charging times before going on a long trip.
I've never really clocked it but I'm overall pretty happy with the battery strength, given how demanding the games the Switch runs are - I largely play Breath of the Wild undocked and the battery lasts longer than what I should probably be playing for. I've never taken it on longer trips, though. Other people seem to have done some solid research: https://nintendoeverything.com/switch-b ... -fi-usage/

Looks like the shortest battery lifespan that came out of that test was about two hours, so similar to your DS devices.

ForeverEverest
Yearling
Yearling

Post by ForeverEverest » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:05 am

That's good to know, I appreciate the help. I like long-lasting batteries.

I've been thinking about getting a switch for my birthday or something. Well, getting it cheap for my birthday. At a price like that, I'll have to put some money towards it, but I'm sure I could make it work. As of now, I currently don't have anything else I'd want as much, so I think there's a high chance I'll get one. The only competitor would be a new tablet, but I think I would use the switch so much more.

Of course, I'll want to think about it a little more, but I think it would be a good device for me. As my brother owns the Wii U, I can't really play single-player games on it whenever I want. If I had a switch, I would be able to play those large single-player games on my own device, and take them with me when I go out.
╔════--══--══--════╗
The howling cold wind,
the soft summer breeze.
They remind me a little,
of chalk and cheese.

╚════--══--══--════╝

Noxeon
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Name: Eon

Post by Noxeon » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:32 pm

I just got one this morning for my birthday! though I don't have any games for it yet. I really want to get Breath of the Wild for it, I've heard that's a really good game.

˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙
˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙⚫˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙
❖❖❖ ―――――――――― ❖❖❖
The ɗɑʀkɳɛรร falls around
me at night

αиd cαяvєร мє
wiтн รilєиcє รσ
bяigнт
❖❖❖ ―――――――――― ❖❖❖
˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙

paperpaws
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:47 am

Noxeon wrote:I just got one this morning for my birthday! though I don't have any games for it yet. I really want to get Breath of the Wild for it, I've heard that's a really good game.
Time to download lots of demos!

Breath of the Wild is definitely very good. I think it's one of the most expensive games available for now, but you should get your money's worth out of it just fine. I've played it for 75 hours now apparently, and am still nowhere near finished or bored with it.

alethe
Name: [REDACTED]

Post by alethe » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:46 am

ForeverEverest wrote:I like the idea of a switch, but the price puts me off a lot. The console itself is expensive compared to consoles from the 3DS family.
keep in mind the Switch is... not really comparable to the 3DS family. The Switch is a TV console, much like the U and the early Wii consoles. It just has a screen and is more portable, but it can be hooked up to a TV (kinda like the U, except the U has a distance limit as the physical console must hook into a TV). The DSes cannot do that.

Its around the same price as the PS4 and a bit more than Xbox One, but with Xbox (idk about PS) you also have to pay a very unreasonable sum of money every month/year to actually... use the device. So. I'd say the Switch is a better deal long term.

I eat danger for breakfast!
Actually, I don’t. I prefer cereal.

av/sig : lupe

Return to “Other Video Games”