Trouble hunting a cow elk

Ask and help answer questions about the WolfQuest game and forum. Check the Knowledge Base first! http://support.wolfquest.org

Moderators: Neamara, paperpaws

srich96
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Trouble hunting a cow elk

Post by srich96 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:35 am

I have tried almost everything and I cant hunt a cow elk to gain experience so I can find a mate. If you guys have strategies or hints that would be greatly appreciated. I have stalked them, made sure Im downwind of them, eveything and I either die, or they run off and then I can never catch them. please help.

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: Trouble hunting a cow elk

Post by Neamara » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:55 am

I had approved your other topic and moved it here, but seeing as this one looks a little more detailed I went ahead and trashed the other thread you had originally posted in User Guides. Please only create one topic when possible. Since you are a new member, please be patient; every member's first post (since 2012) is now queued for moderator review to help reduce SPAM/spambot posts.

Elk will tire gradually while you chase them. On lower, easier difficulty settings, they will become exhausted pretty quickly, while on higher, harder difficulty settings, you will have to chase them for some time before they slow down enough for you to catch up. It helps to have a wolf statted with better speed and stamina to help you keep up with your prey.

Patience and perseverance is key. I find it easier to locate and shepherd the weakest elk away from the herd to give your target plenty of time to wear itself out so that you can catch up and get in close enough to inflict damage. You could also chase your target directly into an obstacle it can't easily avoid ─ the elk hunting grounds in downtown Lost River is perfect for this practice. Another alternative would be to chase your target into a barrier or a tight corner, such as map boundaries.

[spoiler]Experience is saved per wolf, so you could load up Lost River, go to the Downtown hunting grounds, effortlessly kill a handful of elk until you have the required experience total, then reload Amethyst Mountain and your experience gain will have been preserved. ;) [/spoiler]
*yawn*
[
XBL] • [PSN]
[
Switch SW-7220-7090-5161]

TimberRaven
Name: Kjados dont eat that

Re: Trouble hunting a cow elk

Post by TimberRaven » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:38 am

Uh... I didn't know that, Nightra! It takes like a half hour before they start slowing down. And by slow down, they slow down by 99% their normal speed. It sucks. :|
I have a strategy. Approach the herd however you approach it --don't even bother with stalking. just RUNNNNN! for the herd and choose an elk that won't run away. Bite the elk, and before it kicks, go backwards. Then run forwards to bite it again. This could help you not get as hurt, (it helps me!) o it could make it worse. When the elk turns and runs, do not latch on to it. Just bite it until your stamina is low, then grab and hold on when you can barely catch up. When far away enough, the elk will turn and go back to its herd. When it walks, run towards it. You'll catch up faster than it can run, (usually!) and just do it over and over until the elk tries to fight. Then do the steps in the beginning, and it will die.
From white to red, from red to green;
From green to yellow, from yellow to black.

And then a mighty wave
Of every pleasant color.

Return to “Tips, Hints, and Help”