The Wolf Saving Bug (P.C.)

Ask and help answer questions about the WolfQuest game and forum. Check the Knowledge Base first! http://support.wolfquest.org

Moderators: Neamara, paperpaws

TimberRaven
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf
Name: ew ew ew ew
Location: Trying to figure out how to put Adharc and Nevelig together

The Wolf Saving Bug (P.C.)

Post by TimberRaven » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:27 pm

There is a bug in the game where you suddenly have no wolves, and you have to create a new one. Which sucks, because when this happened I was Expert Wolf! :evil:
So I made a new wolf, and after a few days it's happened again. The time between this bug frequency is getting smaller, (I am trying to say it is happening more often) and I find it very annoying.
|Note|: I am continuously modifying my wolves, but this bug hasn't been happening since the new patch. This is on P.C., so if this happens on mobile I'll be surprised. Anyway, is anyone else having the problem where you log on and on occasion you have 0 wolves? ~Thanks!
"We are different.
=○ ○ ○ ~
·~˜··°··˜~·
~ ○ ○ ○=
But we go together."
........................................................................................--Her Last Words

Avatar-BB <3 Signature-TimberRaven

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Re: The Wolf Saving Bug (P.C.)

Post by loboLoco » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:34 pm

If it happens again:

1) Look for your saved-wolf and saved-game files here, in your [username]/Documents/WolfQuest folder -- are the wolves still in there? If so, then...well, I'm not sure what that means, but it would be useful information. And if not, are there any Backup folders that would have recent versions of them?

2) Email bugs@wolfquest.org with the name of one or two of your missing wolves and we'll check for them on the server.

The last patch has a fix for a different issue with saved wolves, and I don't *think* it would help this one...but since I don't know how this could happen, I don't really know.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

TimberRaven
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by TimberRaven » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:37 pm

Game files? You mean like "Load Saved Game"? And I clicked on your link to bugs@wolfquest, it says create an account. :? Why? For what? I just want to report something, darn it! And what on earth is my "WolfQuest Folder"?? Boy, I am NOT new to the game, but I have no earthly clue what the heck you're talking about... and I forgot the names of the three wolves lost forever. :cry:
Because as I said, I'm always modifying them so it's hard to keep track of the names. I'll try to remember the names when I lose them from now on. Thanks for your advice.
"We are different.
=○ ○ ○ ~
·~˜··°··˜~·
~ ○ ○ ○=
But we go together."
........................................................................................--Her Last Words

paperpaws
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:54 am

TimberRaven wrote:Game files? You mean like "Load Saved Game"? And I clicked on your link to bugs@wolfquest, it says create an account. :? Why? For what? I just want to report something, darn it! And what on earth is my "WolfQuest Folder"?? Boy, I am NOT new to the game, but I have no earthly clue what the heck you're talking about... and I forgot the names of the three wolves lost forever. :cry:
Because as I said, I'm always modifying them so it's hard to keep track of the names. I'll try to remember the names when I lose them from now on. Thanks for your advice.
I think you're approaching it in the wrong way, which is perfectly fine - it sounds like you do not have a lot of experience with computers yet. We're here to help you, so please consider wording your posts in a more polite manner; Dave isn't the source of your frustration. I recommend asking a parent to help you out if necessary, but otherwise, this is a great opportunity for you to learn from what you have to do.

First things first, are you on a Windows computer or a Mac? I am going to assume you are on a Windows, since they're generally more common, but correct me if I am wrong so we can work from there.

- When Dave is referring to the game files, he means the files stored on your computer that you are able to access without having to start up and launch the game. Instead, you have to use your computer's file explorer. Do you have a little folder icon anywhere on your desktop you can click to access this one? Alternatively, you can right-click the bottom left Windows logo and click "Explorer".
- When you are there, you can start to navigate towards the file path Dave mentioned. You can either type out the file path in the explorer's address bar similar to how you would type in a web address, or you can click the respective icons within the explorer to navigate to the end goal, which is easier. You have to end up at [X]:\users\[name]\Documents\WolfQuest. [X] here is whatever disk the game is on, most likely C, and [name] should be replaced with the account name you are using with your computer. So, it'd look something like C:\Users\Timber\Documents\WolfQuest\. Your save files should be somewhere there, so try to find out if any of the file names look familiar to you.
TimberRaven wrote:And I clicked on your link to bugs@wolfquest, it says create an account. :? Why? For what? I just want to report something, darn it!
The bugs@wolfquest.org is an email address and clicking it should open an email client on your computer. Normally, this would instantly allow you to write an email to the address you clicked, but I am assuming you do not have your own email address set up on your computer's client. If you have an email address on a webmail client, such as Gmail, you can use that. Otherwise, please ask a parent if you can use theirs to send a more thorough bug report.

Please let me know if this helps you at all. I'm currently on my phone, but if it is still unclear, I will try and take some screenshots to hopefully make it easier to understand.

TimberRaven
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by TimberRaven » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:22 pm

I really don't want to get on your nerves, but I wasn't trying to be rude... and yes, I am on Windows. I have plenty of experience with computers, just that ONE thing wasn't ever shown to me yet... I'm ten, why would I need to know that? Well, now I need to, I guess. So I'll look into it and try it. I think I have my email address memorized, yay, but I'm nervous heading this deep into mom's computer without her permission. But I want to do it myself and not bother her. Her nerves are frayed from her sister's first child's arrival. She wouldn't want to deal with this right now. Thanks for your help, anyway! :D
"We are different.
=○ ○ ○ ~
·~˜··°··˜~·
~ ○ ○ ○=
But we go together."

paperpaws
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:34 am

TimberRaven wrote:I really don't want to get on your nerves, but I wasn't trying to be rude...
I understand that and no offense taken on my part, just wanted to make sure you were aware of your tone and how it might come across for future reference.
TimberRaven wrote: have plenty of experience with computers, just that ONE thing wasn't ever shown to me yet... I'm ten, why would I need to know that? Well, now I need to, I guess. So I'll look into it and try it.
Ha, I think you'll find the more you learn about computers, the more you realise you might not have as much experience as you think you do. Either that, or I'm getting old. Using the file explorer is more or less a basic skill in my eyes. In any case, the offer still stands if you're in need of a visual guide (with screenshots) of how to find your files. I'm also happy to be available over private message if we find ourselves online at the same time, but time zone differences could cause some problems with that. Let me know, either way.
TimberRaven wrote:I think I have my email address memorized, yay, but I'm nervous heading this deep into mom's computer without her permission. But I want to do it myself and not bother her.
I'd recommend against using your mother's computer in a way she did not give you permission for. If you want, you can PM me with your wolf names and 2.7 usernames and I'll send the email for you. (If you were referring to the file explorer as well, then I'd encourage you to ask her to just be present/watch what you're doing and supposed to do when she's in a better mood for it.)

TimberRaven
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by TimberRaven » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:18 pm

Oh boy, I just found the trigger to the bug!! I got really confused in File Explorer, but the glitch happened again in the game and I know exactly what happened! It happens when I go to modify my wolf, then I hit continue and I look for a game in the multiplayer lobby. But if I go back to modify my wolf again, it's gone! The wolf name was Tianna of something like that...
(So in short, I left a game, modified my wolf, went to join another game, went back to modify my wolf again, and it was gone).
I sent a report to the bugs@wolfquest thingymajig. :D Hopefully I won't see the bug again in a while!
Edit: Also, there's another thing. I left a game because the host ended it, checked my messages, sent maybe two or three, and went back to look for another game. The wolf was gone when I clicked "I Agree" on the WQ rules thingy. Stinky!

MUCH LATER EDIT It's been happening sooo often now. I've lost SHADOW|SPY and Penelope. There are so many things! I sometimes join a game then I leave again, because I wanted to join a game but all of them were Pack Life and I didn't want to make the game because the specific user is bound to join. So I zoom into a game, then I zoom out for the sake of my wolf. If I just went back in the MP lobby, my wolf would have disappeared.
"We are different.
=○ ○ ○ ~
·~˜··°··˜~·
~ ○ ○ ○=
But we go together."

Return to “Tips, Hints, and Help”