Gaming Computer

Ask and help answer questions about the WolfQuest game and forum. Check the Knowledge Base first! http://support.wolfquest.org

Moderator: Neamara

TheOnlyTherian
Pup
Pup
Name: Rimah

Gaming Computer

Post by TheOnlyTherian » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:33 pm

I'm thinking of selling this all-in-one built in, Lenovo ThinkCentre pc for a cheap budget gaming pc.
I'm new to all this gaming fandom and pcs, I do of course know how to use a pc but just meant in that way for gaming use only. I get confused with all those upgrade parts. I wish not to become a serious gamer but just to play my simple games like WQ, Champions Online and so on.

My budget is £200-300 at max. With selling this PC, it might help a bit too. I just need a good PC with a lot of space, the one I have now is 465 GB. 4 GB of Ram. So of course, need something around about that or the ram a bit higher. Need good graphics, not the one like I have, which is Intel HD Graphics. I prefer Windows 7. My pc uses an Intel Pentium and the CPU isn't that good too. I'm not sure about FPS but guess a gaming pc would have to run that high for certain games.

It would help a bunch if someone can teach me about getting my first gaming pc. I can not afford to waste money on a mistake when buying, so it has to be right to at least to WQ's standards or other games that run at the years of 2011 or latest if possible. I don't play many games anyways. At the moment, WQ runs low settings for this pc just pretty fine.
*~Wolf-Dog Therian~*
*~Myers Weapon~*
*~*
Playing WolfQuest since 2010 or 2011

Kereudio
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Maya

Re: Gaming Computer

Post by Kereudio » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:56 pm

Your budget is a bit small and difficult to work with, however I found this if you're willing to bump it up by about $100 bucks. Amazon can be a bit hard to gather specs from so I compiled it into a list for you:

Code: Select all

CPU: Intel Quad Core i5 3.6GHz
RAM: 8GB
HDD: 1TB
GPU: Nvidia GT710 2GB
Wi-Fi: Yes
Condition: Certified Refurbished
This PC will more than allow you to play WQ 3 and Tower Fall with no problems as they come out. Per the FAQ:
For the PC/Mac version, our goal is any computer that can run the current game can run WQ 3. We are adding more quality levels so we can boost the visual quality much further than it is now, but we will do our very best to make the game run decently on older computers. However, since we are adding so much to the game (bigger maps, better graphics, more animals), we can’t yet say how well we can attain this goal. We don’t know exactly how much storage WQ 3 will require, but certainly more than 2 GB.
The PC I linked is probably the best bang for your buck. Not only does it come with some pretty incredible features for the price, like 4K support, but it's also very upgrade-able, so when you can afford parts, you'll most likely be able to install them without problems. This one has a dedicated GPU and utilizes both Intel HD Graphics and Nvidia Geforce. Also, I'll tell you now, since Windows 7 will have it's support by Microsoft dropped in 2020, you won't be able to find a Windows 7 computer within your price range anytime soon, apologies. But that's okay, because Windows 10 Pro is great for gaming.

ETA: If you're willing to learn how to build a PC, you can build what I linked above for about $270
I was writing in order to live.
osamu dazai

av: lupinzpack

TheOnlyTherian
Pup
Pup

Post by TheOnlyTherian » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:23 am

mayaafeys wrote:Your budget is a bit small and difficult to work with, however I found this if you're willing to bump it up by about $100 bucks. Amazon can be a bit hard to gather specs from so I compiled it into a list for you:

CPU: Intel Quad Core i5 3.6GHz
HDD: 1TB
GPU: Nvidia GT710 2GB
Wi-Fi: Yes
Condition: Certified Refurbished
This PC will more than allow you to play WQ 3 and Tower Fall with no problems as they come out. Per the FAQ:
For the PC/Mac version, our goal is any computer that can run the current game can run WQ 3. We are adding more quality levels so we can boost the visual quality much further than it is now, but we will do our very best to make the game run decently on older computers. However, since we are adding so much to the game (bigger maps, better graphics, more animals), we can’t yet say how well we can attain this goal. We don’t know exactly how much storage WQ 3 will require, but certainly more than 2 GB.
The PC I linked is probably the best bang for your buck. Not only does it come with some pretty incredible features for the price, like 4K support, but it's also very upgrade-able, so when you can afford parts, you'll most likely be able to install them without problems. This one has a dedicated GPU and utilizes both Intel HD Graphics and Nvidia Geforce. Also, I'll tell you now, since Windows 7 will have it's support by Microsoft dropped in 2020, you won't be able to find a Windows 7 computer within your price range anytime soon, apologies. But that's okay, because Windows 10 Pro is great for gaming.

ETA: If you're willing to learn how to build a PC, you can build what I linked above for about $270
Like this one?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ULTRA-FAST-i ... rmvSB=true

or this one?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ULTRA-FAST-i ... 100623.m-1

And what about 2GB GT 730? It's a bit more but less than £300.
The 2GB GT 730 is £298.72
And the one you have mention, 2GB GT 710 is £279.72

It's like only £15 or so more which isn't too bad. I just need a basic gaming computer for my simple games like Wolf Quest and other games. I don't want to be a serious gamer because I don't have the time for that. Also, will this options make WolfQuest run on good or beautiful? I won't mind it if it's at beautiful at least. Maybe fantastic would be nice too!

And not sure about FPS too, I know that if it's below 20, it's not good but higher is better and faster?
*~Wolf-Dog Therian~*
*~Myers Weapon~*
*~*

Kereudio
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Maya

Post by Kereudio » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:50 pm

Both of those are good options, yes!

A 2GB GT730 and 710 are good options. I have a GT 755M (the M is for laptop models, which is what I have) and I can run Wolfquest on the highest graphics settings. I get some frame stuttering here and there but its nothing too noticeable or game breaking. I'm not sure how to clock in my actual FPS on Wolfquest but I know I certainly get more than 20, so there's that :P

However... The i3 is not good for processing, at all. I would not spend even a fraction of that kind of price for a PC with an i3. I'd highly recommend you find a way to shell out an additional £20 for an i5. I know you only want to play low end games but even as far as processing anything goes the i3 was probably the worst of the i-series. Anyway, those two PCs you linked ask you to choose your own specs, so here's the highest you can get without being tempted to settle for the i3.

PC 1:

Processor: i5-2400
Drive Capacity: 1TB
Graphics: 2GB GT710

Total: £317.00
PC 2:

Graphics Card: 2GB GT 730

Total: £298.72
Computer two wins!
I was writing in order to live.
osamu dazai

av: lupinzpack

TheOnlyTherian
Pup
Pup

Post by TheOnlyTherian » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:57 am

mayaafeys wrote:Both of those are good options, yes!

A 2GB GT730 and 710 are good options. I have a GT 755M (the M is for laptop models, which is what I have) and I can run Wolfquest on the highest graphics settings. I get some frame stuttering here and there but its nothing too noticeable or game breaking. I'm not sure how to clock in my actual FPS on Wolfquest but I know I certainly get more than 20, so there's that :P

However... The i3 is not good for processing, at all. I would not spend even a fraction of that kind of price for a PC with an i3. I'd highly recommend you find a way to shell out an additional £20 for an i5. I know you only want to play low end games but even as far as processing anything goes the i3 was probably the worst of the i-series. Anyway, those two PCs you linked ask you to choose your own specs, so here's the highest you can get without being tempted to settle for the i3.

PC 1:

Graphics: 2GB GT710

Total: £317.00
PC 2:

Graphics Card: 2GB GT 730

Total: £298.72
Computer two wins!
Thanks! I asked my father if he can help me since I do not work and he said no, the computer I have is recent and not old. He blames me for knowing it wasn't a gaming pc. Which is my fault but I thought I could tweak little things to make the game run on this pc, which isn't "very" bad but now I have made a mistake on purchasing this PC, I wish I was aware that it would not run any better anyhow. I'm not sure who will buy this PC anyway but I will probably have to go down the hard route of saving if I want to get the gaming pc. I know it doesn't seem a lot but for me, it will be now because I save up money very slowly. Probably will get the money by next year? Not sure. But I will try to find a way. Thanks again, I will contact again if I'm confused on anything pc related.
*~Wolf-Dog Therian~*
*~Myers Weapon~*
*~*