Quick question

Ask and help answer questions about the WolfQuest game and forum. Check the Knowledge Base first! http://support.wolfquest.org

Moderator: Neamara

xc92u3

Quick question

Post by xc92u3 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:52 pm

Just a quick question: How do you know if a topic/thread is dead? Also, let me know if it would've been easier to just PM a moderator. Thanks! :D

Isela
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: Quick question

Post by Isela » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:38 pm

Hi TimberRaven,

Dead topics are defined as topics which no longer hold relevance on the forum.

Quote from WQ forum guidelines on what is not allowed:
Posting in topics that are no longer relevant, helpful, or accurate (please use the report feature to request these topics to be locked by a moderator)

What are the rules/guidelines for this forum?

Generally, these are topics that are several months to a year or more old. Topics in the Forum Games board or Get to Know Each Other are exceptions, because they are not a generalized topic like in the discussion boards.

And the tempest is raging,

it's caving-in the sky

couldn't tame it if she tried

---Cora Rose - The Tempest
Avie © howl-ite

xc92u3

Re: Quick question(s)

Post by xc92u3 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:55 am

Ok. How do you know how old a thread/topic is? How do you know if it's dead?

Kereudio
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Maya

Post by Kereudio » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:11 am

There is a time stamp at the top of each post, it looks like this. (I've highlighted it in yellow for you.) For forums with "no bumping dead topics" rules, I've always found that ~3 months since the most recent post is a good indicator that a thread is dead, but if you're ever unsure I'm more than positive this forum's lovely mods would be more than willing to answer a PM if you ask what their opinion is on the topic's relevance or age.
I was writing in order to live.
osamu dazai

av: lupinzpack

alethe
Name: [REDACTED]

Post by alethe » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:18 am

I also use the three months plus rule, unless the topic has discussion potential. Like, for example, a movie/book thread in one of the discussion forums. If you have something you want to post, but the topic is kind of old, I see that as being okay to post in since you are adding to discussion.

However, for stuff like packs and avatar shops, if the topic is over three months old with no posts, its safe to say its dead and its best not to bump it up.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
ARE YOU A JEDI ?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

av/sig : fidd/lupe

xc92u3

Post by xc92u3 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:13 pm

mayaafeys wrote:There is a time stamp at the top of each post, it looks like this. (I've highlighted it in yellow for you.) For forums with "no bumping dead topics" rules, I've always found that ~3 months since the most recent post is a good indicator that a thread is dead, but if you're ever unsure I'm more than positive this forum's lovely mods would be more than willing to answer a PM if you ask what their opinion is on the topic's relevance or age.
It says "This site cannot be reached" and that "i.imgur.com unexpectedly closed the connection." Uh... stinky. >.<

Isela
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Isela » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:35 pm

TimberRaven wrote:
mayaafeys wrote:There is a time stamp at the top of each post, it looks like this. (I've highlighted it in yellow for you.) For forums with "no bumping dead topics" rules, I've always found that ~3 months since the most recent post is a good indicator that a thread is dead, but if you're ever unsure I'm more than positive this forum's lovely mods would be more than willing to answer a PM if you ask what their opinion is on the topic's relevance or age.
It says "This site cannot be reached" and that "i.imgur.com unexpectedly closed the connection." Uh... stinky. >.<
It worked for me. Try again and see if it works. Sometimes websites have hiccups when trying to connect.

it's caving-in the sky

Avie © howl-ite

xc92u3

Post by xc92u3 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:18 am

I hit reload and tried it a bunch of times; didn't work. I think Canine is blocking it, actually. Canine is a thing mom put on my laptop so it would block bad websites. HOW IS THIS ONE BAD??

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:41 am

TimberRaven wrote:I hit reload and tried it a bunch of times; didn't work. I think Canine is blocking it, actually. Canine is a thing mom put on my laptop so it would block bad websites. HOW IS THIS ONE BAD??
Imgur is an image sharing website, so I can imagine that a program like that would block it - mayaafeys's image is obviously perfectly innocent, but there is no controlling what other people choose to share on such a website.

The image just shows the timestamp on posts, though, which is pretty easy to find. It's on the line under the subject line, next to the "by <username>". Of course what exactly it says depends on your time formatting settings and time zone, but for me, your post says "Post by TimberRaven » 20 Mar 2018, 15:18".

When it comes to judging whether a topic is okay to bump or not, consider if there is still any relevancy to the topic and/or your post. Topics that are likely to be no longer relevant (that I can name off the cuff) are older pack threads, avatar threads, introduction threads, and announcement threads. Things like discussions that simply have not been posted in for a while, but could easily be brought back to life, are perfectly fine to bump up. Examples of these are still-existent games that have been posted about in Other Video Games and casual discussion in Get To Know Each Other, General WolfQuest Discussion, and General Other Topic Discussion.

All in all, try to use your own best judgment. If you do end up accidentally bumping up a topic considered dead, there is no harm done either - the moderators will let you know about it and deal with it accordingly.

xc92u3

Post by xc92u3 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:20 am

I've found it! At the top of a post, it will who what date it was posted! Yay!

Isela
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Isela » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:09 pm

I'm glad this was helpful to you, TimberRaven c:

As the question has been answered, I will go ahead and lock this topic.

- Topic Locked -

it's caving-in the sky

Avie © howl-ite