Where’s My Wolf?

Ask and help answer questions about the WolfQuest game and forum. Check the Knowledge Base first! http://support.wolfquest.org

Moderators: Neamara, paperpaws

The_Wumbologist
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Bethany

Where’s My Wolf?

Post by The_Wumbologist » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:45 am

When I first got the game, something was wrong with my installation of WolfQuest. I had to reboot the installer every time I played, because for some reason it didn’t save properly on my computer. The launcher itself, however- the brown one with the idling wolf and two orange bars- never had to actually redownload the game, however I still had to use the installer to get to the launcher. All of my wolves, (well, I only ever really used one wolf,) however, stayed throughout every installation- even the throwaway ones from the free trial, which I also had to reinstall every time I played. My logged in status stayed as well.

Last night, I tried to fix this. I created a new folder on my desktop, and told the installer to install WolfQuest into said folder. The installation seemed to go well, and I went to bed. I had not played the game yet. This morning, I booted up WolfQuest, and it had to download the game on the launcher, taking about 10 minutes. When I launched the game, I had to log in again. When I went to select a wolf, I was horrified to discover that my wolf wasn’t there!

I will be very saddened if my wolf is gone forever, as he had over 30,000 EXP. Can somebody please help me find or repossess my missing wolf?
Last edited by The_Wumbologist on Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

paperpaws
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: Where’s My Wolf?

Post by paperpaws » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:07 am

Strange. Have you checked the default install directory to see if your wolf files are still there? Also, have you been prompted to sync your local files with those of the WolfQuest server? If so, select the "pull" option and see if that recovers your wolf. More info on that in the FAQ here: http://wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f ... 1#p2422838

Good luck and keep us updated in case there are other things we can try.
wyrd bið ful aræd
traveling 03.08 - 18.08 - limited availability.
for questions and concerns, please reach out to another moderator.

The_Wumbologist
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by The_Wumbologist » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:12 am

paperpaws wrote:Strange. Have you checked the default install directory to see if your wolf files are still there? Also, have you been prompted to sync your local files with those of the WolfQuest server? If so, select the "pull" option and see if that recovers your wolf. More info on that in the FAQ here: http://wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f ... 1#p2422838

Good luck and keep us updated in case there are other things we can try.
I had to go to the doctor for an appointment soon after this unpleasant discovery, so I will look into these as soon as I get back. Thank you so much for your assistance! :D
Last edited by The_Wumbologist on Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:15 am

So you have to use the installer each time is very odd. Does that mean there is no WolfQuest game in the installed location (by default that is Documents\My Games)? The installer is certainly installing the game somewhere, so the first thing is to figure out where exactly it's doing that, and then try to run the game that way instead of via the installer. It HAS to be installed somewhere, it isn't running purely in RAM from the installer.

For the lost wolf: I don't know how that could happen...but it does seem like something is screwed up on the computer so hard to say what's going in.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

The_Wumbologist
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by The_Wumbologist » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:31 am

loboLoco wrote:So you have to use the installer each time is very odd. Does that mean there is no WolfQuest game in the installed location (by default that is Documents\My Games)? The installer is certainly installing the game somewhere, so the first thing is to figure out where exactly it's doing that, and then try to run the game that way instead of via the installer. It HAS to be installed somewhere, it isn't running purely in RAM from the installer.

For the lost wolf: I don't know how that could happen...but it does seem like something is screwed up on the computer so hard to say what's going in.
I do remember looking in Documents > My Games several times. and not seeing WolfQuest there with all of my other games. I always told the installer to make a shortcut on the desktop, but it did this weird thing instead where it almost made a shortcut, but not quite. It was one of those icons that showed up as a white and turqoise window (this is Windows 10 if it matters,) and it was called “WolfQuest”. Whenever you went to click it like a normal shortcut, it would always say something like “The file that this shortcut leads to (WolfQuest somethingsomething) is no longer available. Would you like to delete this shortcut?”

I run the installer in administrator mode, if it matters. Otherwise an error occurs (something about lacking permission) and it cancels the installation. it was an Itch.io installation, not Steam.

Just trying to give as much information as I can while I’m at the doctor’s office and I can’t get to my desktop.

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:18 am

Any chance you have an anti-virus solution installed? Anything third party or even the default Windows Defender. If you do, check its logs or quarantine to see if you can add WolfQuest (its directory under Documents > Games is more than sufficient) as an exception to your anti-virus to see if that clears the problem up, because what you've detailed does sound like a false positive detection behaviour to me, especially if the directory is being erased after use; what seems especially strange is that the application is being allowed to run at all before being forcibly removed for unknown reasons...

As an alternative suggestion, reinstall WolfQuest and this time, change the directory it installs to. For example, if by default yours is installing to a "My Documents", change it to "Documents". If it is installing to "Documents", change it to "My Documents". Windows does permit at least two Documents directories; if this works, you can add the alternate directory by going to Libraries, then right-click Documents and add it here. If it doesn't work, install the game to your Desktop then test it out again. If it is still being deleted, I'm echoing Dave: something does seem to be wrong with your Windows installation.

I should also note that if a WolfQuest directory exists under the alternate Documents directory, move it over to the default Documents directory or vice versa to see if that restores your missing wolves and saves. For the error about lacking permission, I managed to dig this up from Microsoft's support forum:
Method 1:
  1. Open the properties of the main User Profile folder where the files are located (such as Documents, Pictures, etc.). You can open the properties of a particular folder by Right-clicking on it and select Properties from context menu.
  2. Go to the Security tab and click Advanced. Check the box at the bottom of this window. It is labeled "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and then click Ok.
  3. This does a one-time action that replaces the security on all the files/subfolders. It’s one-time, so you won’t find that box checked if you peek at it later. Please let us know if it’s working

Method 2:
  • Press Windows Key + R, type netplwiz
  • Click and highlight the User profile, which you want to make administrator
  • Click on Properties, then select the Group Membership tab
  • Select the Administrator, Click apply/ok
Source: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... c44b4d6e7d
What a joke.

[
XBL] • [PSN]
[
Switch SW-7220-7090-5161]

The_Wumbologist
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by The_Wumbologist » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:28 am

My installation of the game is now fine after I installed it into a folder on my desktop. My problem is that I can’t seem to locate my wolf that I used in prior installations. If I were to find files of the game lingering somewhere in. my PC, or reinstall it with my wolf still there, what file would I need to relocate in order to get my wolf back and use it in the “permanent” installation of the game?

I’m still out, so I’ll try these suggestions when I get back.

EDIT: Just read your edit. I’ll try that.
  • Post Merge
UPDATE: I'm afraid that when selecting the "pull" option when the game asks me to sync files, my old wolf does not reappear. I have also tried yet another reinstall of the game in what should be the default location (User > Documents > My Games > WolfQuest,) still no dice. I cannot find any other evidence of WolfQuest on my computer. I am starting to panic... :(

Is it possible to restore him via other means...? Or am I just out of luck? :cry:

EDIT: Oh. I apologize for the double post. :oops:
Last edited by Neamara on Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged double post. In the future, if there are no new posts after your own, please edit your previous post if you have anything more to add. Thank you~ ♪

paperpaws
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:19 am

The_Wumbologist wrote:I do remember looking in Documents > My Games several times. and not seeing WolfQuest there with all of my other games.
I used to have this issue with WolfQuest 2.5, but for me it was caused by the fact that my system language is set to Dutch - the install directory specifically targeted "My Documents", so if your regular documents folder was named anything else than that (even if just a different language), WolfQuest would create a separate Documents/My Documents directory. No idea if this could be the case for you as I am not sure if the new installation does the same thing, but it's worth checking out, similar to what Neamara already said.
The_Wumbologist wrote:If I were to find files of the game lingering somewhere in. my PC, or reinstall it with my wolf still there, what file would I need to relocate in order to get my wolf back and use it in the “permanent” installation of the game?
That would be the wolf file. If I remember correctly, they were formatted as <wolfname>.wolf. You could try to make a new wolf in the new installation (make sure to never push to server, just to be safe) and see if you can find that new file, then try to locate the old wolf file by the same means. Hopefully, there is a trace of it left on your computer. Otherwise, I'm afraid I'm not sure if there is any way it can be recovered.
wyrd bið ful aræd
traveling 03.08 - 18.08 - limited availability.
for questions and concerns, please reach out to another moderator.

Return to “Tips, Hints, and Help”