Syncing Issues?

Ask and help answer questions about the WolfQuest game and forum. Check the Knowledge Base first! http://support.wolfquest.org

Moderator: Neamara

ViperBrains

Syncing Issues?

Post by ViperBrains » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:08 am

(Whoop. First time making a topic in here.)

Okay, hi there. There's not a lot to this really. Just need some thoughts and answers.
I'll get onto steam and open up WQ. The theme music will play and everything will run how it should do with no problems. The 'syncing data' thing comes up(the pop-up asking which syncing action you'd like to perform doesn't appear) then everything on the window/tab will just stop. The music will keep playing but the wolves on the title screen will freeze, and my mouse pointer will turn into the thing it does when mac laptops are trying to load something. It lets me move the mouse around, but won't let me click anything.
I've tried multiple times re-opening the application, sometimes it won't let the zoom in happen at all, or it will stop half way. It just stops before I can do anything.
At one point I sat away from the laptop to let it do it's thinking, about 15 minutes later I came back and it was still how I left it. I've tried re-installing WQ and shutting down my laptop but it's still continuing to do the same thing when i open wq back up. I've never had issues like this on this device before, then again it's quite old and just might be on it's last few legs. I really don't know. It's getting kind of frustrating.
If there's something someone can suggest that might get it to work that'd be great.~

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Re: Syncing Issues?

Post by paperpaws » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:14 am

Hello hello,

This does not sound like an issue I remember encountering on here before, nor is there any article in the support base that specifically targets your problem. For that reason, we're going to have to be a bit of speculating. You say your laptop simply might be too old: do you have specifications for it (whether it's the actual hardware or simply a model and release year)?

Also, since you do occasionally run into the syncing data screen before it crashes, have you tried launching the game whilst not connecting to the internet to see what it does? If it runs fine offline, it might be the data syncing causing the crash.

ViperBrains

Post by ViperBrains » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:15 pm

I'm not sure of release dates of this particular device or better to say, when it was started being used, but the model(macbook, mid 2010, 13inch) was released in 2010. Which means there's a possibility this one could have been running for 8 or-so years.

To a certain extent, the game worked pretty well when run without internet. The title screen loads up how it should. It'll allow you to click on single-player, but it crashes when I click on any of the options in the game set up. I re-opened it a few times to be sure it wasn't a one-time-thing, like I did before, but nope. Just doesn't want to work for me.

-I hopped onto the trusty ol' ipad to see if it were having issues also. Interestingly enough, the game loaded up just fine, but the pop-up with syncing options doesn't appear at all. It allowed me to proceed with playing anyway but, thought I'd mention this as well.

Edit:
Aha, the issue has been solved!
I went rummaging around some the WolfQuest's files and found some dodgy looking wolf files I weren't familiar with. I deleted them and now the game is running perfectly.
Thank you for your services, paperpaws. Feel free to lock.

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:44 pm

Oh, I'm glad it ended up working out! Happy to at least try and help - the solution was an interesting one in this case, but I'm happy to hear you managed to end up resolving the issue. Enjoy playing!