Need help with glitchy avatar

Ask and help answer questions about the WolfQuest game and forum. Check the Knowledge Base first! http://support.wolfquest.org

Moderators: Neamara, paperpaws

TimberRaven
Name: I am Hugh

Need help with glitchy avatar

Post by TimberRaven » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:29 am

Heyo, I keep ending up making these topics :/
Welp I want to change my avatar, but I'm not sure how, because whenever I shoo my avatar in there it says it can't determine the length and width of the image even though it's 100 pixels tall and wide. Pretty sure there's another way, but I guess I haven't figured it out :roll: :lol:
Any way to change it haha?
Dank u
Spoiler:
MOOO :cow:
Spoiler:
ET phone home???
Spoiler:
Shut up, Wesley!
Spoiler:
Make it so.
Spoiler:
When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade! Instead, put baking soda in it and watch it explode :twisted:
Spoiler:
Chirp's cool
Spoiler:
Owww! :wolf:
Spoiler:
It's broccoli O.O :tree:
Spoiler:
You have eyebrows
Spoiler:
You're still reading these?? *huggles*

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: Need help with glitchy avatar

Post by Koa » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:50 pm

TimberRaven wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:29 am
Heyo, I keep ending up making these topics :/
Welp I want to change my avatar, but I'm not sure how, because whenever I shoo my avatar in there it says it can't determine the length and width of the image even though it's 100 pixels tall and wide. Pretty sure there's another way, but I guess I haven't figured it out :roll: :lol:
Any way to change it haha?
Dank u
First of all, how are you uploading your avatar-- manually, through your computer, or via an off-site link?
I know sometimes when I upload an avatar, especially if its from my phone, it doesn't properly detect the size. It could be 100 x 100 but it'll read as 101 on one of the specifications when I upload it, so I'll have to crop it down to 99 for it to read.
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

TimberRaven

Post by TimberRaven » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:13 pm

I'm uploading from imgur. I'm assuming that's off-site, right?
And you say yours thinks it's 101 pixels sometimes? Mine doesn't say anything at all, it just says it can't determine the size.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
ET phone home???
Spoiler:
Shut up, Wesley!
Spoiler:
Make it so.
Spoiler:
When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade! Instead, put baking soda in it and watch it explode :twisted:
Spoiler:
Chirp's cool
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
You have eyebrows
Spoiler:

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:30 pm

TimberRaven wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:13 pm
I'm uploading from imgur. I'm assuming that's off-site, right?
And you say yours thinks it's 101 pixels sometimes? Mine doesn't say anything at all, it just says it can't determine the size.
Yes, that would be where you would need to use the off-site link box. I would say try a different site like photobucket and see if that affects anything.

TimberRaven

Post by TimberRaven » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:02 pm

I tried gifmaker.me.... it kept changing to the Remote avatar setting and whenever I used the Remote setting it kept saying it couldn't determine the size of the avatar agaiinnn
Edit: I am on to a different image now, and I am using something called tinypic.com --so easy to use!
But, still the same problem. If you go to change your avatar, does it go smoothly with you, or has the purge made all users unlucky about avatar options?

EDIT: Okay, so I actually have a legit avatar that I made myself and want to put as my avatar.
Something's a little... glitchy...
Apparently BB's avatar that I have now is deemed "invalid". So are the two Lupe avatars I got a long time ago... (so they don't work). When I try to enter in the URL to this fresh 12-frame GIF that I just made and uploaded, it says it is impossible to determine the size of the image and to try again.
Here is the avatar:
(messy, yes. supposed to be like that reehee)
How can I change my avatar to the GIF? Thank youuu :P
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
ET phone home???
Spoiler:
Shut up, Wesley!
Spoiler:
Make it so.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Chirp's cool
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
You have eyebrows
Spoiler:

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Thu May 02, 2019 10:47 pm

TimberRaven wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:02 pm
I tried gifmaker.me.... it kept changing to the Remote avatar setting and whenever I used the Remote setting it kept saying it couldn't determine the size of the avatar agaiinnn
Edit: I am on to a different image now, and I am using something called tinypic.com --so easy to use!
But, still the same problem. If you go to change your avatar, does it go smoothly with you, or has the purge made all users unlucky about avatar options?

EDIT: Okay, so I actually have a legit avatar that I made myself and want to put as my avatar.
Something's a little... glitchy...
Apparently BB's avatar that I have now is deemed "invalid". So are the two Lupe avatars I got a long time ago... (so they don't work). When I try to enter in the URL to this fresh 12-frame GIF that I just made and uploaded, it says it is impossible to determine the size of the image and to try again.
Here is the avatar:
(messy, yes. supposed to be like that reehee)
How can I change my avatar to the GIF? Thank youuu :P
FYI, I merged your new thread with this one. There's no need for separate threads.

I tried to put your new avatar as my avatar and it worked for me with no errors or anything, so I think it's an issue on your end. I pasted the link in the off-site box. I've just now deleted it. I'm not sure what you mean by "purge" (as in, what context)?

EDIT: I'm wondering if it's because your default usergroup is listed as "Image Tags?" It should be registered users (or Senior Members if you've been changing it back and forth). Try fixing that by going to >> User Control Panel >> Usergroups >> Change default group and select "Registered users" as your group.

EDIT#2: I get a gallery-only option when Image Tags is assigned as my default usergroup, so it might have something to do with that. Let me know if you are unable to change your default usergroup.

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Rowan

Post by valkea » Fri May 03, 2019 2:53 am

To add on, though this isn't your question necessarily, I would strongly recommend not using tinypic to host images. On top of just barely working to begin with, they are known for recycling links... which means what is now your avatar may be changed to something different in the future because they used the same link. I have seen this happen to several people on various sites, and in some cases the images are changed to extremely inappropriate images that no one needs to see, especially not on WQ.

It'd be best to just stick with imgur for hosting, since I don't think using imgur was causing the problems.
má shínim seal uaire faoi chrann a dhéanamh só
o cad é sin don te sin nach mbaineann sin dó?

TimberRaven

Post by TimberRaven » Sat May 04, 2019 12:13 pm

valkea wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 2:53 am
To add on, though this isn't your question necessarily, I would strongly recommend not using tinypic to host images. On top of just barely working to begin with, they are known for recycling links... which means what is now your avatar may be changed to something different in the future because they used the same link. I have seen this happen to several people on various sites, and in some cases the images are changed to extremely inappropriate images that no one needs to see, especially not on WQ.

It'd be best to just stick with imgur for hosting, since I don't think using imgur was causing the problems.
Imgur doesn't do very well when trying to host GIFs, but thanks a lot for letting us know x.x
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
ET phone home???
Spoiler:
Shut up, Wesley!
Spoiler:
Make it so.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Chirp's cool
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
You have eyebrows
Spoiler:

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sat May 04, 2019 5:42 pm

It seems like you've got your avatar changed now that your default usergroup has also changed, so I will lock this topic now.
Topic locked.

Return to “Tips, Hints, and Help”