Slight lagging for WQ 3?

Ask and help answer questions about the WolfQuest game and forum. Check the Knowledge Base first! http://support.wolfquest.org

Moderator: Neamara

TheOnlyTherian
Pup
Pup
Name: Rimah

Slight lagging for WQ 3?

Post by TheOnlyTherian » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:54 pm

I recently brought a new PC, designed for gaming. When I first downloaded WQ, it ran perfectly fine at the highest settings, running at 60+ fps but when hunting/running it lags for a few seconds and drops suddenly at fps. It doesn't really bother me but I'd like to know why this is happening? I was aware of the temperature of the card, the game was running at 70c+ in temp. I'm not comparing games but my pc runs "The Isle" perfectly fine, so why WQ? My GPU is an RX 5700 XT and is up to date. Maybe the game isn't very well optimized just yet?
*~Wolf-Dog Therian~*
*~Myers Weapon~*
*~*
Playing WolfQuest since 2010 or 2011

Zawki

Re: Slight lagging for WQ 3?

Post by Zawki » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:19 am

I would assume the lag is a result of the game loading new chunks of the world map, as it sounds like the issue only occurs when you are moving around. Because WolfQuest's game world can be so detailed and full of life, it likely takes a lot more computer power to load the terrain, foliage, shadows etc. than it would for a lot of other games, which may be one of the reasons why WolfQuest is the only game you're experiencing this with. As the game is still in early access, the team will likely continue to make optimisations here and there, but at the moment I think their focus is mostly on Slough Creek, multiplayer and fixing bugs which are potentially game breaking or affect the immersive feel of the game.
┌────────────────┤├────────────────┐
When the sky is clear and day has turned to night,
the land is touched by a beautiful moonlight.
└────────────────────────────────────┘

Arcturus221B
Pup
Pup
Name: Arcturus

Post by Arcturus221B » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:40 pm

I'm pretty sure the new pathfinding system has introduced more lag and needs some optimization. Since the patch, I experience FPS drops every time herds are in the area or when I'm hunting, while I had barely any lag (save for loading map chunks) while hunting or having elk near by with the old, less accurate system.
☀ "Beттer тo Lιɢнт oɴe cαɴdle, тнαɴ Cυrѕe тнe Dαrĸɴeѕѕ" ★

TheOnlyTherian
Pup
Pup
Name: Rimah

Post by TheOnlyTherian » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:06 pm

Zawki wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:19 am
I would assume the lag is a result of the game loading new chunks of the world map, as it sounds like the issue only occurs when you are moving around. Because WolfQuest's game world can be so detailed and full of life, it likely takes a lot more computer power to load the terrain, foliage, shadows etc. than it would for a lot of other games, which may be one of the reasons why WolfQuest is the only game you're experiencing this with. As the game is still in early access, the team will likely continue to make optimisations here and there, but at the moment I think their focus is mostly on Slough Creek, multiplayer and fixing bugs which are potentially game breaking or affect the immersive feel of the game.
The "recommended" system requirements for this game meets up with my PC, actually way more than the recommended req, WQ stated a Radeon 580 Graphics card, which I have a RX 5700 XT, it's a 2019 card and the 580 is 2 years older than mine. So, I believe it's the optimization for the game since it is in beta. I've played the game again, seems to lag less now and I think it's just the devs trying to improve it more, I think?

(I'm not sure how to upload pictures but I provided a link)
https://imgur.com/a/cjEtMfb
*~Wolf-Dog Therian~*
*~Myers Weapon~*
*~*
Playing WolfQuest since 2010 or 2011