Is Anyone Else Having Trouble Sending Private Messages on the Forums?

Ask and help answer questions about the WolfQuest game and forum. Check the Knowledge Base first! http://support.wolfquest.org

Moderator: Neamara

Ratlover4194
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Location: *Everyone collectively groans at Spot's pile of 6.5 billion characters*

Is Anyone Else Having Trouble Sending Private Messages on the Forums?

Post by Ratlover4194 » Wed May 06, 2020 3:03 am

I frequently talk to a good friend via PM on this site, but the last few days, it has been giving me a strange error that I've never seen before when I try to send a message. Image First, I tried editing the last message I'd sent, about a half-hour or so after I sent it (I had something to add), and that screen appeared. Thinking perhaps my friend had read the message already, and it wasn't fully registering, I then tried to send it via a new message in our message thread, and encountered the same problem. As a last resort, I tried sending it as a brand new message, starting a new thread, and that didn't work, either. This was early the morning of May 2 (about 2:00 am PST), and I've been trying a couple times a day since then, but no luck. My friend sent me a message early yesterday morning (the 5th) and another about an hour and a half ago (12:23 am on the 6th), so I know she can at least send things to me.

I was just wondering if anyone else was having this problem, or had any suggestions on what to do about it. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give!
There's a lot of things you need to get across this universe. Warp drive, wormhole refractors... You know the thing you need most of all? You need a hand to hold. - Tenth Doctor
http://trekwolf4194.deviantart.com/

Admiral Moonfire
Pup
Pup

Re: Is Anyone Else Having Trouble Sending Private Messages on the Forums?

Post by Admiral Moonfire » Wed May 06, 2020 5:04 pm

(I'm the friend in question.)

I haven't had any problems on my end—sending messages is normal and I received one from a different friend last night.

I do see that the last message you sent on May 2nd (1:36am PST) has the 'Last edited' thing on it—says it was edited 1 time at 3:11 am on May 2nd. So it looks like that went through, but I haven't gotten anything else from you.

Have you tried clearing your cookies and whatnot?

I do use the mobile version of the site; maybe the problem is with the desktop site? You could try accessing that and see if it makes a difference.
~•° °•~
"The future doesn't change. You change the future!" -Playmaker
°• . •°
Character and avatar © Me.

Ratlover4194
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Location: *Everyone collectively groans at Spot's pile of 6.5 billion characters*

Post by Ratlover4194 » Wed May 06, 2020 10:17 pm

(I was wondering if you might find this. x'D)

Huh... interesting. When I review the message history, it isn't showing my edit, so I'm not sure if you actually got said edit, or if it's just saying it was edited because it went through partially and then I broke everything, so it didn't actually send. x'D

I cleared the cookies (though it's done this on two different computers, and I think cookies are exclusive to one computer? Not 100% on that) so I'll try sending my message again and see if that works... Let's hope. It's... a very long message. :'D I don't really have a mobile device that would be capable of going online - my phone is ancient, and the only other thing I have is a fairly crummy tablet - but if all else fails, I'll try to send something via my tablet, but I wouldn't be able to send the full message - the thought of having to type it again is bad enough (I have it saved in a Word doc), but having to type it on a tablet? This is an unspeakable horror. x'D

EDIT: It... did not work. T_T I'll try the tablet in just a mo.

EDIT: Well... It seemed to work. o_o What the actual heck. Really curious to know if I'm the only one having this problem. In any case, my dad heard my frustrated cursing and offered to let me email the message to myself and I can try to send it with his phone, so I think maybe I'll do that. ^^'
There's a lot of things you need to get across this universe. Warp drive, wormhole refractors... You know the thing you need most of all? You need a hand to hold. - Tenth Doctor

Admiral Moonfire
Pup
Pup

Post by Admiral Moonfire » Wed May 06, 2020 11:19 pm

Since you're receiving messages, I'll send you a copy of it. I got the message sent from your tablet, so that definitely worked.

Maybe there's a way to use the mobile site on a PC? I can use either the mobile or the desktop site from my tablet. In fact, I'll switch over and see if I have problems sending a PM with the desktop version... Hang on.

EDIT: No problems sending from desktop site on my tablet, at least not that I see.
~•° °•~
"The future doesn't change. You change the future!" -Playmaker
°• . •°
Character and avatar © Me.

Ratlover4194
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Ratlover4194 » Thu May 07, 2020 2:46 am

Just a note to anyone else - we finally managed to figure out the problem, after a whole lot of trial and error. I'm not sure why it was a problem, but I guess technology just glitches sometimes. ^^' It would seem that the first part of my message - the portion I'd tried to edit into my last message on the 2nd - contained something that was confusing the system. There wasn't any coding in the message, apart from a url tag, which I removed to no avail - and nothing I could see would have been causing the issue, but, for whatever reason, it was. Happily, though, things seem to be working now, so as long as whatever-it-was doesn't happen again, we're good to go. n_n'' Apologies for causing any disruption - I was hoping I wouldn't have to ask for help, but alas. :'D

Also, thanks for your help with the troubleshooting, Moon. <3 And apologies again for the half-dozen-or-so new messages clogging your inbox. x'D

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Tue May 12, 2020 11:18 am

Sounds familiar but for posting; I know certain special characters/codes have rendered me unable to post a message in the past. I'm glad you were able to fix it.

Topic locked.