Chat box, good or bad?

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

What do you want to do with the multiplayer chatbox?

Get rid of the chatbox.
5%
Change to phrased chat (preset sentences and phrases)
10%
Think of a way to make chat box safer instead of doing either of the above.
51%
I do not care.
5%
Leave it as it is.
30%

Total votes: 104

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Chat box, good or bad?

Post by SolitaryHowl » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:06 pm

Owner of Thread Changed to SolitaryHowl on Jan 14/11

Okay people. Let's make a new discussion about this.

How can the chatbox be improved? And don't say 'get rid of the filters' as that is not an option.

Original post is quoted below....

Original Post by Asheek:
So, I've noticed a high rise in abuse and mate chats on mp. I find it discraseful to the WQ community and writes us all off as sick people and could possibly ruin what W is trying to achieve in the ebd: to edcuate people about wolves and be used as a tool in the class room.

For a moment, get over the fact that 'you dont like it' or other unreal assumptions. Think about the issue and many CHILDREN and classrooms that witness this abuse on a daily baisis, the angry parents that are appuled that this 'family firends' site allows this to go on. We need to get this issue solved before it blows up and WQ get blamed and written off as a site unsuiteable for classrooms or even family use.

EDIT: Post by Cana (WQ Coordinator) 12/10/10 -
I just posted some comments about this in the Chat Lexicon thread, but would like to add something new here. What do other games do? What are the strategies used by other games to keep things kid-friendly? Phrased chat, parent approval, what? I know this particular question strays away a bit from the original topic of this thread, but I think it will help and will eventually come full circle, back to the original discussion. If nothing else, it'll help us (the WolfQuest Development Team) figure out how we can best implement some of these ideas and what really should be expected of us when we're advertising this as a family-friendly game. So, if any of you play other kid-friendly multiplayer games, please let us know how other people have managed to avoid or deal with these problems. Thanks! (And this may have been discussed earlier, but I'd really like a concrete list of game name, what it offers, and what it's doing to prevent inappropriate behavior. Moderators, feel free to compile summaries into a single list in one post, though I do plan on reading all the responses.)
List of Games:

Game Name: Allantnevelde
What it has to offer:
  • Chats are completely free, no restrictions.
  • A Moderator is always present overseeing the chat.
  • System can automatically save the chat if a moderator isn't present - it is sorted within the site and system of the game owners.
  • Getting a ban can depend on which rule is broken.
Full post regarding it: http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.p ... 5#p1553978

Game Name: BiteFight
What is has to offer:
  • Inappropriate Behaviour is dealt within a matter of seconds.
  • If banned, your username is recorded onto the website, as an example to other users not to break the rules.
  • If users are warned/banned, there is a thread with the information of why you were warned/banned.
  • Being banned depends on which rule is broken.
  • Warns and Bans each has it's own thread, if something is updated, its posted as a reply.

Game Name: Club Penguin
What it has to offer:
  • Has both as phrased chat and a "safe open chat" which is similar to the WolfQuest chat filter.
  • Users have both chat options open at all times.
Full post regarding it: http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.p ... 5#p1553985

Game Name: Ether Saga
What is has to offer:
  • On the starting screem there are various options (e.g. lastest news, account details, settings, ect.)
  • Warns players if the version of the game they have isn't updated.
  • Has a support feature - Directs users to a page where they may open a ticket (e.g. asking a question, don't agree with something, ect.), then send it to the support team.
  • Chats are recorded and stored under control, plus moderators oversee the chats.
  • Inappropriate words are deleted upon posting - words may show up as "*"
  • Strong banning system - Users can get banned if they break the rules.

Game Name: FusionFall
What it has to offer:
  • Uses a phrased chat.
  • Has a similar filtering process as Webkins (e.g. "Boy" and "Friend", allowed seperately but not alowed if typed in a combination).
  • When an account is being opened, a parent's email is needed.
  • Parents get and email to activate thier childs account and set it's details (e.g. chat setting)

Game Name: Horse Isle
What is has to offer:
  • Able to detect misspellings, certain combination of words (e.g. CATe, C)oat A)ll T)hat).
  • If you do try to bypass the filter or use inappropriate words, the word you typed would go through the filter and in a matter of minutes, you'll recieve a message in your chat saying the message which they typed broke the rules, what happens if you get 10 violations points and the reason the message broke the rules such as adult content.
  • Inappropriate chats are collected by the server around midnight when the site shuts down. Then an email is recieved by the administrator with that days worth of report, which are then looked over, who blocked the chat and decided where to give violation points.
  • Reporting system is fast, easy, and affective.
  • A button under each players tab, named "submit abuse report", and then users would enter the username of the user who broke and rule, and which rule they broke.
Full posting regarding it: http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.p ... 5#p1554295

Game Name: Runescape
What it has to offer:
  • Has a similar sort of chat system to WolfQuest.
  • Provides an In-game report button which allows inappropriate behaviour to be report almost instantly.
  • Has the ablility for players to turn off the chat or ignore certain players.
  • Has a quick chat with pre-set phrases.
  • Users under 13 are only able to use the quick chat unless granted permission off parents.
  • Players who are reported are muted within the game.
  • Moderators are within every channel/chat.

Game Name: Webkinz
What it has to offer:
  • Game has a phrased chat, though you are able to type in your own phrases and combination of words (Sort of Like WolfQuest).
  • Parents may choose either a phrased chat or a system where users are able to type their own phrases (more information: http://mci2.webkinz.com/parentarea/)
  • Chat doesn't allow certain words, yet doesn't monitor a combination of words. (e.g. "Boy" and "Friend", allowed seperately but not alowed if typed in a combination)
Last edited by SolitaryHowl on Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:43 pm, edited 16 times in total.
Reason: Changing ownership of post to SH
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

Griffinsong
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Re: Chat box, good or bad?

Post by Griffinsong » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:14 pm

I think that the safe chat idea sounds better, because it would help for planning out hunts amongst packmates. Removing it completely would probably help with inappropriate talk in games, but it might also be difficult for those users who are mature enough to behave appropriately. Maybe a combination of movements and safe chat would be best.

Assuming that by 'safe chat' you mean, for example, the preset phrases on games like Club Penguin.

Zelma
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Name: mims

Post by Zelma » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:28 pm

I too am an RP fan, but I can't do ANY mating things.

Songdog
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Songdog » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:28 pm

As a mod, I've seen many of the reports. I've filed many of the reports. And I only hope that the people here are lucky enough to have never experienced those chats. They are unimaginably horrible, and I cannot share their details.

I'm all for canned chats. It would make the game so much safer. It's such a shame, but there are little kids playing this game. I don't want them expose to that stuff.

Zelma
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Name: mims

Post by Zelma » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:31 pm

I agree with SongDog, I am waaay young and I've seen many chats like 'MaatePSme' or something like that. I went into one once, and you know the rest...

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:03 pm

Songdog wrote:As a mod, I've seen many of the reports. I've filed many of the reports. And I only hope that the people here are lucky enough to have never experienced those chats. They are unimaginably horrible, and I cannot share their details.

I'm all for canned chats. It would make the game so much safer. It's such a shame, but there are little kids playing this game. I don't want them expose to that stuff.
Songdog, I wholeheartedly agree.

Can the chat box - we don't need it.

Asheek
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Asheek » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:14 pm

Griffinsong wrote:I think that the safe chat idea sounds better, because it would help for planning out hunts amongst packmates. Removing it completely would probably help with inappropriate talk in games, but it might also be difficult for those users who are mature enough to behave appropriately. Maybe a combination of movements and safe chat would be best.

Assuming that by 'safe chat' you mean, for example, the preset phrases on games like Club Penguin.
Thats exactly what I mean, on Horseland if your under 10, I think, you a JR.player and can only go in certain servers with a 'safe chat'. But I find it very annoying, and I truly think they should kick the hchat box to the curb, look at Endless Forest, it has no chat and only actions and it's quite pouplar. People there hardly ever fight too, and I like that about it.
hear is a quick questian for Solitary Howl, I was wondering if simply going into 'bad' chats simply to report people is bad, like go in stay for like 5min and once you have the evidance against them go and report them, not to be annoying or anything but to clean up WQ.
................................α s h є є k
.................קг๏ย๔ ๒єtค Ŧє๓คlє ๏Ŧ tђє รtคг lเﻮђt קคςк

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:49 pm

Nelile Tu wrote:
Griffinsong wrote:I think that the safe chat idea sounds better, because it would help for planning out hunts amongst packmates. Removing it completely would probably help with inappropriate talk in games, but it might also be difficult for those users who are mature enough to behave appropriately. Maybe a combination of movements and safe chat would be best.

Thats exactly what I mean, on Horseland if your under 10, I think, you a JR.player and can only go in certain servers with a 'safe chat'. But I find it very annoying, and I truly think they should kick the hchat box to the curb, look at Endless Forest, it has no chat and only actions and it's quite pouplar. People there hardly ever fight too, and I like that about it.
hear is a quick questian for Solitary Howl, I was wondering if simply going into 'bad' chats simply to report people is bad, like go in stay for like 5min and once you have the evidance against them go and report them, not to be annoying or anything but to clean up WQ.
No, going into a 'bad' game to report people is perfectly okay. And we encourage it, as us moderators need help because we can't be on the game 24/7.

Asheek
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Asheek » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:17 pm

SolitaryHowl wrote:
Nelile Tu wrote:

No, going into a 'bad' game to report people is perfectly okay. And we encourage it, as us moderators need help because we can't be on the game 24/7.
... I think I saw that guy Redmoon..... REALLY was just there I saw the wolf name through it could simply be hoax. Anywho thanks I will be a loyal WQ player and help u guys clean up the Multi. player. Also theout put log, is it only for the people who start the chat or can any of the people in it look at it.

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:35 pm

You can find your output log in your wolfquest folder. Each person can see their output log - however most don't know where it is.

Now, back on topic.

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:00 am

Both.

It's an effective and easy way to use communication and keep in touch with other players on a frequent basis, but it is unrealistic (wolves cannot talk to each other - humans do) and it also causes many disturbing problems within multi-player, such as improper behavior, abuse, harrassment and unrealistic roleplaying. By removing the chat box it could help make WQ a safer and more comfortable place for the younger users (and the older ones, since I highly doubt none of us likes to get confronted by "pup killers" and other lunatics - not to be offensive, of course).
AUGUST 2009 USER OF THE MONTH

Aurora Storm
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Aurora Storm » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:36 am

I'm not sure. I like having the chat box there but it is not nice at all when others roleplay inappropriately. I wish there was something else we could do besides canning the chat -- something that would stop inappropriate behavior and make WQ fans happy.
.------° § Aurora § °
..--Pack Leader Council
.---Undine Falls Pack
.------------Zeta

The Hardest Thing in Life
is Living it.
Death is Peaceful... Easy.
Life is Harder.

Avatar: "Aurora" avatar by Runningshadow75.

Proud Undine Falls Pack Member for Forever and Beyond
http://www.undinefallspack.com
PMotM September 2009

Asheek
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Asheek » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:42 am

Embry wrote:Both.

It's an effective and easy way to use communication and keep in touch with other players on a frequent basis, but it is unrealistic (wolves cannot talk to each other - humans do) and it also causes many disturbing problems within multi-player, such as improper behavior, abuse, harrassment and unrealistic roleplaying. By removing the chat box it could help make WQ a safer and more comfortable place for the younger users (and the older ones, since I highly doubt none of us likes to get confronted by "pup killers" and other lunatics - not to be offensive, of course).
I think it would also be harder for people to harass others too. If they fill it up with actions sure some person is gonna go around snarling or growling at people but it really wont be that annoying, I mean you can walk away and contuine playing and I bet they would simply get bored. Another thing this would get rid of is the whole,

"leave now

PLEASE LEAVE NOW"

people can no longer hold spots, and people can look in the output log for the usernames and set up private ganes over the PM system.

Asheek
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Asheek » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:48 am

Aurora Storm wrote:I'm not sure. I like having the chat box there but it is not nice at all when others roleplay inappropriately. I wish there was something else we could do besides canning the chat -- something that would stop inappropriate behavior and make WQ fans happy.
There is, reporting can solve the problem but most people I know decided to 'look the other way' and not report their friends. I makes me mad, espicaly when they complain about all this 'bad' stuff happening on WQ. Do what I am gonna do, go into those 'bad' chats and report those people, dont forget the output log to, if you need help with that ask a Mod :wink: .

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:10 am

Nelile Tu wrote:
Aurora Storm wrote:I'm not sure. I like having the chat box there but it is not nice at all when others roleplay inappropriately. I wish there was something else we could do besides canning the chat -- something that would stop inappropriate behavior and make WQ fans happy.
There is, reporting can solve the problem but most people I know decided to 'look the other way' and not report their friends. I makes me mad, espicaly when they complain about all this 'bad' stuff happening on WQ. Do what I am gonna do, go into those 'bad' chats and report those people, dont forget the output log to, if you need help with that ask a Mod :wink: .
Reporting has helped, but the bad behaviour will not stop unless something drastic is done. The chatbox has to be removed.

As for the communication problem? You can easily get their username over the game, go onto the forums, and PM them. You could even use another messaging program like MSN.
support Embry's idea when she said;
Embry wrote:In my personal opinion, WolfQuest could easily manage without the presence of a chat box. I agree that the option of turning the c-box on and off sounds good as well, but it would exactly remove the problem itself (of certain users being harrassed and confronted by improper acting). Yeah, we need ways to communicate, but the ways should be realistic. Supporting my idea of removing the c-box altogether, I created an example of a simple action that you could communicate throughout without having to use the chat:

i. you're in multi-player. You feel like you'd want to ask some people to hunt with you. Since there'd be no chat-box, the option of asking someone to hunt without typing has been replaced by a special button (that resembles an elk's head, or something else related to hunting; the pictogram should be distinguishable, that you know the button is used to gather up a "hunting group"). You walk up to a player you'd like to ask to hunt and then press the elk head button - by pressing the button, the player you have requested to join the hunt with you receives the following message on their screen: "Player 1 asks you to hunt with him/her. Accept or decline?". Then, the other players chooses either accept/decline. And to get more wolves involved, you could maybe have to ask two or three more wolves to join you be repeating the previous stage of pressing the elk head button. When your little pack of wolves is done, you can go hunting with them.

Something along with those lines - that concept could be embedded on the other actions as well ("Player 1 challenges you to play with him/her. Accept or Decline?" - and then the two wolves could just go jumping around and wagging their tails and whatnot).

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”