Humans in RP

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

Seewah
Yearling
Yearling

Humans in RP

Post by Seewah » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:13 pm

(I could not find anything about this, but if there's a link, please give me the link!)

It seems that every wolf RP I go to ends up at some point having humans in it who cause trouble (or are just there) and get attacked and fought back by the wolves. It's in every single RP I've been too pretty much.

Is this against the rules? Should it be stopped? What's your opinion? This is a game that's supposed to be realistic, so the way humans are in these RPs is very unrealistic.

If there are hunters, they have guns, therefor can't be fought or killed by a wolf easily at all. If there are campers, they won't harm the wolves, so probably wouldn't be attacked. Most unrealistic of all is that RP wolves openly and fearlessly attack humans immediately, and they know exactly where they are very easily. Hunters are pretty stealthy, and a lot of wolves are afraid of humans. They would run before attacking, and if they did attack, it would be a last resort to save themselves, not to bravely save and protect the other animals. Wolves also try to avoid fighting because an injury in the wild could be fatal. Remember, wolves are carnivores, so they kill other animals. Wolves don't know that humans would kill them for fur, not meat. They would not call it pointless killing or think hunting is wrong, as I've seen happen in a lot of RPs.

I think this nonsense of humans as the bad guys in RP needs to stop. I'm not sure it's even allowed. We are supposed to play wolf RP realistically, and this humans are bad madness is actually very unrealistic.

What do you think about RP humans?
Last edited by Seewah on Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I support hunting.

Insults do not make for a valid argument.
-Seewah

Atropine
Former WQ Moderator

Re: Humans in RP

Post by Atropine » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:59 pm

Personally, I'm strongly against the implementation of humans into RPs; it gives false interpretations of humans and wolves. As you've said, wolves are not killing machines and naturally they are fearful of humans - often you have wolves attacking people left right and centre. ;I Often, this behaviour is really graphic and inappropriate for younger users... a lot of roleplays with humans tend to be gorily explicit. I agree with all the points you have stated. =3

shewolf51
Pup
Pup

Post by shewolf51 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:37 pm

While I've never been in an rp server as of yet, I do agree. I can imagine if humans play a very minor role in the rp, if just to cause the characters some stress. But to roleplay it so inaccurately would really bug me. As you said, wolves don't just go fearlessly attacking people, they prefer to shy away and avoid human contact altogether. And they certainly wouldn't go attacking campers for the simple fact that they're there.

And if, as Atropine said, that these attacks are often gory and explicit. Then it has no place on a game that's aimed towards young children.

Like I said, while it may add 'excitement' to the rp, it should also be realistic. Sometimes, I get the feeling that a lot of people really just don't do their research on wolf behaviour. I'm not saying that they should be an expert, but even just researching the basics would be nice.
Last edited by shewolf51 on Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Looking into the eyes of the wolf is like looking into your own soul. Do you like what you see?"

Fenrir- Hunter of Midnight Moon Pack
Raziel- Hunter of Shadow Seekers Pack

RoarOriole

Post by RoarOriole » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:30 pm

Every RP I have been in always had humans in this unrealistic way. Personally it makes me sick, and I give it two thumbs down. This is one of the factors that steered me away from MP here.

People who RP like that are thinking in something that I call WOLF & LION Logic, because those two games have hunters and poachers that you always know their location of, and in one of them you can kill people if you're sneaky enough, even if they have guns.

Those sorts of things should stay on those old games, and not come to WQ, but we can't really do much about it, and so it's only spreading the reputation that WolfQuest is so obviously trying to get rid of. in my opinion people just learn the reason why wolves were nearly killed off all those years ago. it was believed that wolves did those things.

But they don't.

I agree with everything you say here, and it honestly doesn't belong here. Wolves naturally avoid humans by instinct, and would only attack if really sick or caught in a situation that coaxed it to do so.
I like discussing deep things, playing video games, and mentally torturing myself by studying C# even though I'm not a math person.

SunTheCoyote
Pup
Pup
Location: Sitting in school, dreaming of a place far,far away. Wishing SC 2.5 would come out sooner.

Post by SunTheCoyote » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:34 pm

Seewah wrote:(I could not find anything about this, but if there's a link, please give me the link!)

It seems that every wolf RP I go to ends up at some point having humans in it who cause trouble (or are just there) and get attacked and fought back by the wolves. It's in every single RP I've been too pretty much.

Is this against the rules? Should it be stopped? What's your opinion? This is a game that's supposed to be realistic, so the way humans are in these RPs is very unrealistic.

If there are hunters, they have guns, therefor can't be fought or killed by a wolf easily at all. If there are campers, they won't harm the wolves, so probably wouldn't be attacked. Most unrealistic of all is that RP wolves openly and fearlessly attack humans immediately, and they know exactly where they are very easily. Hunters are pretty stealthy, and a lot of wolves are afraid of humans. They would run before attacking, and if they did attack, it would be a last resort to save themselves, not to bravely save and protect the other animals. Wolves also try to avoid fighting because an injury in the wild could be fatal. Remember, wolves are carnivores, so they kill other animals. Wolves don't know that humans would kill them for fur, not meat. They would not call it pointless killing or think hunting is wrong, as I've seen happen in a lot of RPs.

I think this nonsense of humans as the bad guys in RP needs to stop. I'm not sure it's even allowed. We are supposed to play wolf RP realistically, and this humans are bad madness is actually very unrealistic.

What do you think about RP humans?
I KNOW! Its gets me so mad! Im like, "PEOPLE CALM DOWN! This is Yellowstone, people DONT HUNT WOLVES HERE!
ITS A NATIONAL PARK!" lol

Shusuke right? I heard somewhere that a couple were attacked by a timber wolf at a lake. Guess what? It was injured.
Youre absolutley right about the injury thing. Obviously it was an injured lone wolf that was desperate for food.

Im getting on right now,
Its a private game,I dont care who joins just NO HUMANS.
Title:wolf
password:redwall
(No capitals)
Anyone care to join me? Oh and its AM.
Last edited by SunTheCoyote on Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Good Better Best. Never let it rest. Until your good is better and your better is best!"
I <3 WQ!¸.•*¨*`•.¸¸.•*¨*`•.¸50% Coyote, 50% Wolf

DarkWolfGirl54
Yearling
Yearling

Post by DarkWolfGirl54 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:40 pm

I have been in many rp's that involve human contact. One minute were running and howling,and the next, someone says something along the lines of "*hears gunshot*". Then everyone starts attacking the "hunter" and getting shot and whatnot. And I just stand there,waiting for it to be over so we can go back to a real roleplay. When it's over,they drone on about their "wounds". I usally leave after that.
I guess the name Realwolfrp means absolutley nothing. :/
#SwiftAsTheCoursingRiver
--{Arise} and be
_______-all that you dreamed
_______________all that you dreamed...

RoarOriole

Post by RoarOriole » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:49 pm

DarkWolfGirl54 wrote:I have been in many rp's that involve human contact. One minute were running and howling,and the next, someone says something along the lines of "*hears gunshot*". Then everyone starts attacking the "hunter" and getting shot and whatnot. And I just stand there,waiting for it to be over so we can go back to a real roleplay. When it's over,they drone on about their "wounds". I usally leave after that.
I guess the name Realwolfrp means absolutley nothing. :/
^ This

Titles never matter in a chatroom. I've entered one called Wolfpack once and all they talked about was on how to set up a fire in a human impact. xD
I like discussing deep things, playing video games, and mentally torturing myself by studying C# even though I'm not a math person.

Gargantor
Top Elk Hunter

Post by Gargantor » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:02 am

Im always going in only one RP chat, and thats my friends.
We play as realistic as possible, people like to be there, and want to come back after.
First, in the first months of my RP experience, humans were an exciting thing to have in an RP to spice it up a bit.
But now, i have a bit of experience, and know more about wolves, and Yelowstone altogether.
I tell you: any time we want to RP only some wolf things, and then comes someone every time and says: "hears gunshot" or "gets shot" or "smells humans".
I get annoyed when they start off like that.
Yellowstone is a highly protected national park.
The most realistic thing we had with humans was when we RPd few wolf experts were watching us... or catching us for some research about wolves.
Humans dont always are bad in a RP. For example what i wrote above.
But hunters shouldnt be there.
сøυɾαģε, αвøṿε αll τhïṉģṡ, ïṡ τhε ƒïɾṡτ συαlïτÿ øƒ α ώαɾɾïøɾ.

Seewah
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Seewah » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:48 am

Gargantor wrote:Im always going in only one RP chat, and thats my friends.
We play as realistic as possible, people like to be there, and want to come back after.
First, in the first months of my RP experience, humans were an exciting thing to have in an RP to spice it up a bit.
But now, i have a bit of experience, and know more about wolves, and Yelowstone altogether.
I tell you: any time we want to RP only some wolf things, and then comes someone every time and says: "hears gunshot" or "gets shot" or "smells humans".
I get annoyed when they start off like that.
Yellowstone is a highly protected national park.
The most realistic thing we had with humans was when we RPd few wolf experts were watching us... or catching us for some research about wolves.
Humans dont always are bad in a RP. For example what i wrote above.
But hunters shouldnt be there.
I know! Hunters in a national park? I've been to Zion Canyon and it's protected there, It's pretty much the same at Yellowstone. One time I was in an RP and someone else RP'd attacking camping humans. So I decided that I should RP protecting them. Not too realistic, I know, but I wasn't going to let someone RP that way and kill humans just because they're there.

I support hunting.

Insults do not make for a valid argument.
-Seewah

Zethra

Post by Zethra » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:29 am

I've seen this happen a lot.
You've got stories where humans randomly come into roleplay and cause major trouble, try to kill all the wolves or trying to torture them.
I personally don't like this, I think it's okay for an antagonist as long as the human isn't being exaggerated into an evil being. Since, like some people think wolves are being seen, it brings on the "all humans are bad/want to kill" which, is both inappropriate and also very unrealistic and offensive.

Actually, there are a lot of things regarding it that could be classified as the above. But the most common antagonist in roleplays should be a bear if it's wolf roleplay atleast, especially if it's in an area where the wolves are protected by the government, or if there isn't a reason for the human antagonist to come in.
............'..........Avatar by Zethra

-Magpie-
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by -Magpie- » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:21 am

I agree with mostly everyone here. I do indeed hate the bad 'human roleplay'. Yes I do sometimes bring a human into the roleplay, but mostly its mostly a park ranger/guests/ect but it always ends up into a fight. I have gone off going into roleplays, as it always ends up in hunters being there. I remember ages ago, a friend of mind, she thought it would be nice to bring park rangers in. Me and my friend didn't call them 'hunters' we said 'park rangers' and all the others, started going 'HUNTERS!' Me and the girl attemped to tell everyone, they were rangers but instead then blocked us out and 'attacked' the ranger.

I also find, they use dogs. They seem to have 'wolf-killing' dogs, and I find that very mean. I remember when younger, I used to think wolves were bad creatures. I found Wolfquest, and it opened my eyes. Now I think there equal, but others don't. It really annoys me, but it's the truth. No matter what in MP, humans are labled with a bad name
Eeeeyup. I'm Magpie, but I like to be called Feather. I just got my lazy rump back on here,
so if I had any troubles with y'll back in the day, I apologize!
So, I am a Whovian and I am a avid rager.

Asheek
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Asheek » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:59 pm

When I used to play WQ MP, I never allowed humans in my rp's, they caused nothing but bad tempers, powerplaying, and anoying drama.
................................α s h є є k
.................קг๏ย๔ ๒єtค Ŧє๓คlє ๏Ŧ tђє รtคг lเﻮђt קคςк

Griffinsong
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Griffinsong » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:07 pm

Atropine wrote:Personally, I'm strongly against the implementation of humans into RPs; it gives false interpretations of humans and wolves. As you've said, wolves are not killing machines and naturally they are fearful of humans - often you have wolves attacking people left right and centre. ;I Often, this behaviour is really graphic and inappropriate for younger users... a lot of roleplays with humans tend to be gorily explicit. I agree with all the points you have stated. =3
Atropine practically took the words out of my mouth.

-x- Silvie -x-
Former WQ Moderator

Post by -x- Silvie -x- » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:30 pm

I agree. In most of the "RealWolfRP"s I find these days, humans almost always seem to show up at some time in the RP.
And it's never realistic.
I've discovered that most of the time these types of humans seem to be "tribal", with bows and arrows, often with children; and in the roleplay, the humans almost always seem to try to shoot the wolves. And the wolves often try to kill the humans, take care of the children, or some other silly thing. Unfortunately, most people just don't do their wolf research, not knowing that wolves don't kill people or that Yellowstone is protected; and the RP gets out of hand. Then I usually leave. This is often why I enjoy being the host of MP games; that way if unrealistic or inappropiate roleplay begins, I can simply disconnect and find something else to do. This way, those playing in my games titled "RealWolfRP" or something similar, they will have to learn to roleplay realistically as the name implies, or it's party over for everyone.
_______________Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ S I L V I E Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
___________-___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
_______________--BladeTheWolf00's Sister
______________________-_~-*-~
__________________"Patience is a virtue,
_________________-_love is a value."
___________-___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
_____________sig © me /\ av © Koa (Thanks!)
___________________-_previously BooboosPiggy

Spirit900
Pup
Pup

Post by Spirit900 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:10 pm

I usually find that they do that when the RP begins to get boring.
And yes, it is unrealistic.
It's YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK.
I don't think hunting is allowed there...
Any act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”