Mates - Your opinion?

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

Mates - Your opinion?

Bad
21%
OK
25%
Good
13%
Great
17%
TERRIBLE
24%

Total votes: 119

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: Mates - Your opinion?

Post by Koa » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:17 pm

Miku Hatsune wrote:I don't see the huge problem with game-related mates. I mean, really, is having a mate for a roleplay really that bad?I mean, I understand if they start behaving inappropriately, but really, guys. Most of these players are around 11 and they're gonna do stuff like that. It's their nature. I mean, if they're all over each other and giving out personal info, then it becomes a problem, but a dialogue like "licks muzzle' or something really isn't that bad :/
_Denali_ wrote:I agree that unless it's innapropriate, or the person should know better, then it's OK I guess... but a reason I disagree with it, especially on my pack thread, is because if anyone is behaving innapropriately and/or rudely, then if somebody gets the wrong idea, misunderstands, or doesn't see that it's only one person (and that we're contacting mods or admins to help) anyone and everyone in the pack could be at risk of being warned or banned. This has never happened, but it's against the WQ rules anyway, so people should avoid it when possible. But if it's just for roleplay and in a private game or whatever, it's OK, but not good. To me, it's pretty bad if it is in posts or public games because there are others there who get annoyed or just plain don't like it or don't want to get involved in the situation/behavior.
@ Denali - I'd rather have any mate-related stuff, regardless of severity, condemned to private games if it must happen.

@ Miku - I understand your point, and I used to share similar views when I first joined WolfQuest, but I've moved away from said views. The problem is that something "innocent," like "licks muzzle" as you mentioned, has the potential to provoke more not-so-innocent roleplay posts coming from the other user and that's where it can get bad. You may know yourself, but you truly don't know what the other person is more "comfortable" with unless you address them about the problem, and sadly most users fail to communicate in that regard. Of course, there's all the potential drama that can come from the overall process as well, but the scenario I mentioned above is the more problematic issue when it comes to the "innocent roleplay" that you mentioned.

_Denali_
Yearling
Yearling

Post by _Denali_ » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:34 pm

Yeah; that's why I mention it at least three times or so in my pack rules...

Why can't people just follow the rules?! :x

ZippyWizard
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by ZippyWizard » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:21 pm

I honestly think that the reason so many players get mates in MP is because they are taught that it is okay to have one. As Miku has stated, a majority of players on this game are young-so really, they're going to do what they're taught in SP and get a mate in MP. My policy when I'm in a situation where people are getting mates is that as long as it's not inappropriate or uncomfortable, doing mild things like nuzzling and lying down together are not really that punishable. Wolves have mates in real life, and because some roleplayers strive for realistic roleplaying, they are going to get mates in MP.
You walk like a storm, and I will follow.

_Denali_
Yearling
Yearling

Post by _Denali_ » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:09 pm

I agree; I myself enjoy realistic wolf roleplay, although I can roleplay just fine without any mate-related stuff involved. But just regular, non-mate wolves greet each other via nuzzles, tail wags, play-bows, ear flicks, and so on withing a wolf pack. But I guess it's true that people simply do whatever they learned is "ok". So I guess they think it's just plain realistic that because that happens in real life, it's realistic wolf roleplay and is "allowed", which I don't disagree that it isn't realistic, because it is. But in things like WQ, where there are members of many ages, rules become more important that being realistic I guess. But I still perfer lifelike wolf RP games, just without any gender-related behavior.
:arrow: In all, my basic opinion on this subject is between bad and OK.

:idea: An idea I have is that there could be a thread in which people post suggestions to other wolf-related sites/games that allow behavior like this; that way, WQ is free of it and people still can do whatever they want, just not on a family-friendly thing like WQ. :) Before creating this topic, I wouldn't mind a moderator or somebody a bit more experienced approving this idea. Also, in this thread, it could be a good idea that me, and anyone else wishing to contribute, could run a PM-"system" with a moderator titled something like "Site Ideas".
Last edited by _Denali_ on Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:04 pm

_Denali_ wrote: :idea: AAn idea I have is that there could be a thread in which people post suggestions to other wolf-related sites/games that allow behavior like this; that way, WQ is free of it and people still can do whatever they want, just not on a family-friendly thing like WQ. :) Before creating this topic, I wouldn't mind a moderator or somebody a bit more experienced approving this idea. Also, in this thread, it could be a good idea that me, and anyone else wishing to contribute, could run a PM-"system" with a moderator titled something like "Site Ideas".

It's a good idea and sounds good, but sadly it won't rid WolfQuest of its problems completely. There are many games out there that are already very similar with the "mate" or "boyfriend/girlfriend" concept, even games like Toontown, Feral Heart, Impressive title (its remaining servers), Club Penguin, etc. It's a culture, and a culture is something very difficult to get rid of and mostly impossible, which is why the Report team is in place to lessen or control the occurrence of mates. Simply providing suggestions for users to go to sites they likely already know or where the problem also occurs won't remove WolfQuest's problems at the drop of the hat.

_Denali_
Yearling
Yearling

Post by _Denali_ » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:20 pm

I understand, and my idea was basically to suggest that people to make their own pack site and use private games, both of which they can control and do whatever they want or whatever they can do. But as Koa said, the problem has gotten too widespread or whatever to truly remove, or it would take tremendous effort to remove.

ironhide101

Post by ironhide101 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:45 pm

You all know that wolf quest is used to educate people about wolves, instead of thinking that having mates causes some negative behavior depending on how a person takes it, think of it as a way of demonstrating what life with a mate in multilayer would be like in real life. Some take it this way while others take it to their own advantage which is fine and you all should respect that.

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:26 pm

ironhide101 wrote:
You all know that wolf quest is used to educate people about wolves, instead of thinking that having mates causes some negative behavior depending on how a person takes it, think of it as a way of demonstrating what life with a mate in multilayer would be like in real life. Some take it this way while others take it to their own advantage which is fine and you all should respect that.
Yes, we all know that, but multiplayer was nor never will be "demonstrating what life with a mate in multiplayer would be like in real life." Remember you are dealing with human beings who don't know what it's truly like to be a wolf. None of us do. My point is, while you make a pretty valid point, humans will humanize things. They humanize wolves and their lives, give them human characteristics and feelings, etc. So therefore, it wouldn't entirely be demonstrating what wolf real life would be like. Of course, you can also argue that much of the game is based upon interpretation and factual information as well on the lives and behavior as wolves, but because "mates in multiplayer," with human beings, can have so many potential and probably negatives compared to its positives, it isn't worth it at the end of the day.

BlueGold22
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by BlueGold22 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:07 pm

I like having mates.They really are helpful so when your going out to remark your territory or getting more food for the pups you'll know that your mate is there watching them so nothing happens to them (such as a bear or coyotes trying to kill them). :)
...(¨*.¸´.¸Soul Mountain Clan¸.´¸.¨) Princess BlueGold
.....Soul Mountain Pack:SilverSky,BlackFur
............Frozen Lake Pack:IceBlade
........Lightning Fire Field Pack:FireEyes
.....Dark Shadow Forest Pack:NightHunter
...Great Northern Winds Pack:HawkFeathers
.Avatars DO NOTbelong to me!We did edit them to look like our wolves though.

_Denali_
Yearling
Yearling

Post by _Denali_ » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:56 pm

Do you mean in SP or MP? :?:

44wolfquest
Pup
Pup

Post by 44wolfquest » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:34 pm

I said terrible because I thought you meant single player mates. Multiplayer mating is not allowed, so I guess it is terrible as well.
(`*°•._(`°•._*+*_.•°`)_.•°*`)
For the strength of a pack
Is the wolf,
°•.• WolfQuest •.•°
But the strength of the wolf
Is the pack
(·(·(·(·•·)·)·)·)

Signature by Black Burn

xc92u3

Post by xc92u3 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:46 am

Mates glitch, slack, and sometimes walk away and do not come back until a while. Do you mean in the game or in threads and topics? Uh... well, topics and threads are protected from that nonsense. In the game, it's everything I said. Mates don't even help to catch coyotes or chase away grizzlies! If they are unable to die, why not help the pups that WILL die? Anyway, did you mean it like that? :mrgreen: I mean in singleplayer.

2wolf22
Pup
Pup

Post by 2wolf22 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:14 pm

I think ABSOLUTELY NOT in multiplayer. But in single player they are terrible. I thought the post meant that, not the multi player rule. They always take away pups and make my hunts fail. :?

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”