So many Carcasses!

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, paperpaws, Frodo1

Are there too many elk carcasses in the game?

Yes
66%
No
21%
I'm not sure
13%

Total votes: 100

ruby67
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Re: So many Carcasses!

Post by ruby67 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:51 pm

100% true. Way too many carcasses. I was walking in a direct line when suddenly about 2-3 carcasses popped up one after the other, and were not located in scent vision from a distance before I discovered them. I was like woaaa :?

Also, what Ninnu said: they attract a lot of predators. Then those predators all of a sudden pose a threat to my pups.

It annoys me when I kill an elk, and then another appears not far away, and after seeing some other posts on this thread, I figured i'm not the only one whose having this problem.
"How lonely is the night without the howl of a wolf."

"Appreciate what you have, before it becomes what you had."

FANG - THE MYSTERIOUS WHITE WOLF

Floofysaur
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: Fwoof

Post by Floofysaur » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:50 am

Mhmm, when I host a game, I always wander throughout the Douglas slopes. Well when I RP and stay there for a while i get hungry and I see around 7 scents...it's crazy to see many random carcasses scattered all over XD
~Like it's as if, many elks are dying in the game, and hunting isn't allowed in my chats, since I crash sio darn easily, it's critical for my computer considering that NATTaregetNotConnected error occurs for those who like my games. Well I know one thing, I feel comfortable with many carcasses around me, since I basically stay in the forest or near the river XD
Roses are gray,
Violets are blue,
I am a dog

Glacia2008
Pup
Pup
Name: Glacia

Post by Glacia2008 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:23 am

The amount of elk carcasses, and the fact that they're everywhere, is kind of unrealistic. But I like it because it make eating and not dying so much easier.

"You are not your own," says the Bear King, "you were bought at a price."
-Darkwoods by Marta Stahlfeld

Noctis_
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Noctis_ » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:38 pm

Yup... There are a few too many carcasses everywhere (okay, maybe more than a few). But I sort of get why there's so many after you have pups. When your mate's out hunting and you're left to care for your puppies, what if you run out of food for them? Depending on which den you're at, your mate could take forever to come back. It helps to have extra food laying around ;)
Last edited by Noctis_ on Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
ŊØͻϯϋɇ

iIida

Post by iIida » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:55 am

Rain wrote:I agree there is many carcasses, but sometimes it's handy if you don't want to go hunt (lazy like me), you can just go to a carcass and take food to puppies. In an earlier version of AM there was much, much more carcasses almost everywhere
The same thing here.

duskypack
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Dusk

Post by duskypack » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:12 pm

My mate always makes like five carcasses pop up around the den, hares aren't exactly gone and it takes a while to starve to death unless you have an encounter with either a bear or a stranger wolf, you would only really fight bears next to carcasses and defending pups, both have a food source nearby and it makes sense for carcasses to be in wolf territories. They can be reduced, especially in Amethyst Mountain.
¯~_°. .°_~¯
Night is now falling, so ends this day.
The road is now calling, and I must away.
Over hill and under tree, through lands where never light has shone.
By silver streams that run down to the sea.
¯~_°. .°_~¯

Lyrics - The Last Goodbye by Billy Boyd
(from the third Hobbit movie)
Av/Sig - Koa/Raven

amethystrose
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Name: Hypnotic

Post by amethystrose » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:31 am

That only happens to me in Slough Creek when the WQ game seems continuous. The game never seems to end, and many carcasses suddenly appear randomly near my den, and it's really hard to make yourself starve, without hundreds of carcasses popping up out of nowhere.
[Hypnotic Phrases]:
~The deeper you go, the better you feel. And the better you feel, the deeper you go~.
~Relax Deeper~

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:30 pm

There's certainly a disparity between the amount of carcasses in Amethyst Mountain versus Slough Creek in terms of spawning in the general environment (not the den). Either that, or I have bad luck and can't find any. I was testing something out the other day, and I could barely find any in Slough Creek's environment. I didn't get to the den mission, but I definitely remember there being an abundance as soon as you start those missions.
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

Glacia2008
Pup
Pup
Name: Glacia

Post by Glacia2008 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:03 am

Koa wrote:There's certainly a disparity between the amount of carcasses in Amethyst Mountain versus Slough Creek in terms of spawning in the general environment (not the den). Either that, or I have bad luck and can't find any. I was testing something out the other day, and I could barely find any in Slough Creek's environment. I didn't get to the den mission, but I definitely remember there being an abundance as soon as you start those missions.
Yeah, I agree. That's one of the reasons I like Amethyst Mountain. Food is just a pawstep away. *eats elk carcass that spawned right in front of me*
At one point in my game, I turned on scent vision and there were several scent plumes of elk carcasses clustered together. Nice.

"You are not your own," says the Bear King, "you were bought at a price."
-Darkwoods by Marta Stahlfeld

Howl all wolfs
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Howl all wolfs » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:49 am

Yes, I think so. One time, there was tons of food for pups! If the elk carrcasses were like grass, the poor wolves wouldn't walk! That would be a nightmare, now, wouldn't it? :wink:
Howl

Davidlc
Pup
Pup

Post by Davidlc » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:41 am

I dont think so. At times, there is only 2 elk carcasses on the map, and it drives me nuts when i hunt and barely live to fight off the bears. :shock: then, bears go to my carcass and well, theres another problem, i have to drive it away. After that, i only find 1 near my den, and after all my hard work, it tires me out. How about that
DLCboy

duskypack
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Dusk

Post by duskypack » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:01 am

The den alone gets a lot of mate-generated carcasses, getting more predators. Dead elk are strewn across the land, probably dying from a horrible sickness...
¯~_°. .°_~¯
Night is now falling, so ends this day.
The road is now calling, and I must away.
Over hill and under tree, through lands where never light has shone.
By silver streams that run down to the sea.
¯~_°. .°_~¯

Lyrics - The Last Goodbye by Billy Boyd
(from the third Hobbit movie)
Av/Sig - Koa/Raven

Keyyva
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Keyyva » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:12 pm

wolfloversk wrote:It's made worse by the fact that I have the glitch where if I kill an elk two carcasses appear instead of just one. Also I've seen glitched spawns where there are three carcasses all in the same place at the same time. This has happened twice to me in AM. Here's a screenshot of one right outside the Slough Pack territory http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz24 ... glitch.png
Your screenshot reminded me of one that I took a long time ago; http://i38.servimg.com/u/f38/17/76/73/34/elk_he10.jpg

I think the game does not have a very good "stable" idea on how many carcasses there should be. Sometimes there is too many and sometimes there is too little (especially in the multiplayer games) But all in total, when I first played the game, I thought there was way too many carcasses then what real life would have. But then it is very hard to hunt elk without other carcasses around...
Character © Keyyva
Avatar © Vexi - http://vexiwolf.deviantart.com [Used with permission]

Shadziulec
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Shadziulec » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:18 am

Personally,i think that the hunting system should be changed.Why? Because it's too easy and yet too hard.How could that be?
Well,the elk's inteligence in game is a flop.They are runnin just when ya arrive,so stalking is useless in game.In night,darker wolves should have a "bonus",the lighter wolves in day.I think it's pretty fair.About the easy=hard thing.
Well,surviving in WQ is too easy,i mean,you can sit and wait for carcasses to spawn by themselves and not hunt troughtout the whole game.I think we should have to hunt when we are the males (in slough creek with pups).Because well,it doesn't make any difference in playing as male or female.
About the hard thing...How could possibly anyone hunt down a bull elk in single player? Well,without dying-nobody.That's all i can say about that.

To the end: I think the hunting system should be revamped,we should be able to make a true PACK,not a wolf and their mate + pups.
I think that there should be differences in missions for female and male.
I think the night/day cycles should be done automatically.Elks should change behavour at night/day.Sometimes,they should sleep *rarely*

Thank you xD
~Please,don't copy or use anywhere my profile avatar,it's done fully by myself.It has a little "SHAD" somewhere on it,so it's credited~

Scarlet Kilometers
Pup
Pup

Post by Scarlet Kilometers » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:11 am

I've personally never had any problems with too many carcasses, and I honestly like that it's set up so that hunting and scavenging are equally viable options, especially during the Slough Creek segment. However, given that some people here have mentioned that processing all the carcasses is making their computers to crash, I think that implementing some means of controlling how many can spawn would be a good Idea.
you can see me, right. tell me what is wrong with this picture.
--John Egbert

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”