So many Carcasses!

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, paperpaws, Frodo1

Are there too many elk carcasses in the game?

Yes
66%
No
21%
I'm not sure
13%

Total votes: 100

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: So many Carcasses!

Post by Koa » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:38 pm

Shadziulec wrote: To the end: I think the hunting system should be revamped,we should be able to make a true PACK,not a wolf and their mate + pups.
I think that there should be differences in missions for female and male.
I think the night/day cycles should be done automatically.Elks should change behavour at night/day.Sometimes,they should sleep *rarely*

Thank you xD
When Slough Creek was announced, it was asked in the live Q&A with WQ Coordinator (Cana) if there would be any differences in the gameplay between the two genders.
WQ Coordinator wrote:There will only be a slight difference in missions between males and females. In real life, both wolves would help hunt and protect, etc., though at this age, the female would typically stay with the pups more and the male would hunt more. But both genders do both things, and there's not a big difference in the way we'll program that.
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.p ... 45#p943956

So, in this new version, I expect that will remain the same. Dave did mention some AI (artificial intelligence) improvements (http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=75088), so perhaps that will solve some of the issues you have with the gameplay. Regardless, if you would like to suggest improvements or bug fixes, please do so here on the appropriate threads:
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewforum.php?f=31

This topic for discussing the amount of carcasses -- not other various issues you may have with the game. :)
Scarlet Kilometers wrote:I've personally never had any problems with too many carcasses, and I honestly like that it's set up so that hunting and scavenging are equally viable options, especially during the Slough Creek segment. However, given that some people here have mentioned that processing all the carcasses is making their computers to crash, I think that implementing some means of controlling how many can spawn would be a good Idea.
Good point. Mentioning that on this thread would be wise if it hasn't been mentioned already:
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=74870
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

duskypack
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Dusk

Post by duskypack » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:34 am

With hundreds of carcasses everywhere, why are your small, measly pups preyed on of all things? :lol:

Hooray! 1000th post! ^O^
¯~_°. .°_~¯
Night is now falling, so ends this day.
The road is now calling, and I must away.
Over hill and under tree, through lands where never light has shone.
By silver streams that run down to the sea.
¯~_°. .°_~¯

Lyrics - The Last Goodbye by Billy Boyd
(from the third Hobbit movie)
Av/Sig - Koa/Raven

SilkenGalaxy
Name: Alex

Post by SilkenGalaxy » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:15 pm

That's true Dusky, and also, I noticed that whenever you eat from a carcass, shortly after a coyote appears that's after your pups....hmmmm.

Celestial-Howl
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Alicia

Post by Celestial-Howl » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:27 pm

Does anyone here think that maybe carcasses should spawn decomposed, not a fresh elk? Either that or maybe you can see bears or coyotes often at the kills.
~ σиℓу тωσ кιи∂ѕ σf ρєσρℓє єχιѕт ιи тнιѕ ωσяℓ∂, тнσѕє ωнσ ѕтєαℓ, αи∂ тнσѕє ωнσ αяє ѕтσℓєи fяσм. ~

Flamesky
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Flamesky » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:40 pm

Having multiple carcasses around the den becomes useful once your wolves have pups, especially when you need to chase off a hostile wolf. The downside is that it attracts a lot of coyotes and bears to your den. Bison Peak seems to have more carcasses around it than any other den, maybe because of its close location to the hunting ground.
<<<<<>>>>>
The wolf pack runs as one and together we are stronger
<<<<<>>>>>

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:40 am

WolfBlood02 wrote:Does anyone here think that maybe carcasses should spawn decomposed, not a fresh elk? Either that or maybe you can see bears or coyotes often at the kills.
That's a good point. I feel as if that I've encountered a decomposed elk that spawned before, but perhaps the bear or coyote at the time failed to spawn. Perhaps moee of the decomposed elk carcasses should be frequent.
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

Noctis_
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Noctis_ » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:44 am

Shadziulec wrote:About the hard thing...How could possibly anyone hunt down a bull elk in single player? Well,without dying-nobody.That's all i can say about that
I've taken down bulls in Single player. Well, okay- it wasn't really me, I mostly just made my mate do it, because whenever my mate dies, he/she just respawns a few seconds later. But I helped, sort of!
ŊØͻϯϋɇ

DensetsuBattouga
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by DensetsuBattouga » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:50 pm

Apparently, whenever I do hunt an elk, I bring one down, and another carcass appears... 4 or 5 feet away! :?:
It confuses me because in SC, there are carcasses behind the den when I start marking my territory, and a few more appear while I'm racing back to the den. They would literally appear as I get closer, so it annoys me when I traveled far to find a carcass close to the den. :x
"AlphaBeta, where will you go now?"
Home, my child. Home.
Excuse my absence... I'm beginning to work on "CodeOfTheCanidae", a comic series based off DD. Although it's time to come back now..
Avvie: Randov

Celestial-Howl
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Alicia

Post by Celestial-Howl » Sun May 03, 2015 5:46 am

To me the amount of carcasses is insane! Sometimes I wondered if this was a learning game then why is my wolf living in a buffet? Well anyway, at least this will be fixed in the new version.
~ σиℓу тωσ кιи∂ѕ σf ρєσρℓє єχιѕт ιи тнιѕ ωσяℓ∂, тнσѕє ωнσ ѕтєαℓ, αи∂ тнσѕє ωнσ αяє ѕтσℓєи fяσм. ~

Flamesky
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Flamesky » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:07 pm

There are so many carcasses around each den site (Bison Peak seems to have the most). It's as if Slough Creek had a huge elk die-off in the winter.
<<<<<>>>>>
The wolf pack runs as one and together we are stronger
<<<<<>>>>>

WQlf
Pup
Pup

Post by WQlf » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:37 pm

Yes, yes, and yes! Elk carcasses are everywhere, the amount of them makes the game way too easy. I feel that Elk carcasses should be rare, and they'd almost all be nearly stripped of all meat. For some reason Slough Creek seems to have a lack of Hares compared to Amethyst. I think there should be more hares in Slough and way less carcasses for both maps. Then it would be less easy but not too difficult to those who have trouble hunting elk with their fast/stamina wolves. Also I think that there should be more species of prey to hunt in the game as well.

Edit: I have an idea! What if, the lighter color of pink the scent of the carcass is, the less meat it has left on it? But if the scent is a really vibrant color then the carcass is very fresh.

Nere
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Nere » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:04 pm

WQlf wrote:

Yes, yes, and yes! Elk carcasses are everywhere, the amount of them makes the game way too easy. I feel that Elk carcasses should be rare, and they'd almost all be nearly stripped of all meat. For some reason Slough Creek seems to have a lack of Hares compared to Amethyst. I think there should be more hares in Slough and way less carcasses for both maps. Then it would be less easy but not too difficult to those who have trouble hunting elk with their fast/stamina wolves. Also I think that there should be more species of prey to hunt in the game as well.

Edit: I have an idea! What if, the lighter color of pink the scent of the carcass is, the less meat it has left on it? But if the scent is a really vibrant color then the carcass is very fresh.
I actually like the idea of the lighter the scent the less meat. It could solve the problem of too many carcasses and too less.
Будь бесстрашным храбрым и хитрым

Granger
Former WQ Moderator
Name: Shelby

Post by Granger » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:42 pm

The amount of carcasses is definitely somewhat ridiculous at times, but it depends, sometimes it is worse and sometimes it is better. If you were an actual wolf you would definitely have to take much more time scavenging, if that were your eating style. Thus, having it be more realistic would mean far more time that you spend just running around scavenging for food. Your wolf also gets hungry quicker than it would in the wild, so I guess the abundance of carcasses is just to balance that out. Running all the way to the other side of a map for a carcass with hardly any meat would be frustrating and make the game worse to play, so having more carcasses spread around to make the game time you spend on certain things reasonable makes sense to me.
Whatever HTML you'd like to see here.. Envision it. Flowery quote and hex codes and all.

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:59 pm

There are many fewer carcasses in 2.7. The question is: Should carcasses be so few and far between that you actually have to go hunting more? I would like the answer to be "yes'" but I suspect that, to keep the difficulty within reasons, the answer is "no."

This issue actually stems from a fundamental inaccuracy in the gameplay. Wolves can go days without eating, if necessary, and can then summon enough energy to take down an elk. That's not how the game's model of wolf stamina and health works though--we used a more common game-y model instead. I occasionally wonder how we might switch to a more accurate model...but it won't happen in 2.7, that's for sure.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

D0m
Name: Dominik

Post by D0m » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:18 am

Glad go hear there will be less carcasses.
In some areas of both maps there are no carcasses for miles but in others there can be may more than should really be there. At the secret den that you unlock St 50,000xp there is a pile of carcasses that spawns there, I think I found it was about 3-5 generally but I have had 6 once.
⋄╢ Ṩin Ịncarnate ╟⋄
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
There's so much punishment, so little time.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
◈⑄⑀⑄◈
Av / Sig - Beachbody Humperdinck
〘 Skadoosh 〙

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”