So many Carcasses!

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, paperpaws, Frodo1

Are there too many elk carcasses in the game?

Yes
66%
No
21%
I'm not sure
13%

Total votes: 100

Nor-easter Forecast

Re: So many Carcasses!

Post by Nor-easter Forecast » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:30 pm

loboLoco wrote:There are many fewer carcasses in 2.7. The question is: Should carcasses be so few and far between that you actually have to go hunting more? I would like the answer to be "yes'" but I suspect that, to keep the difficulty within reasons, the answer is "no."

This issue actually stems from a fundamental inaccuracy in the gameplay. Wolves can go days without eating, if necessary, and can then summon enough energy to take down an elk. That's not how the game's model of wolf stamina and health works though--we used a more common game-y model instead. I occasionally wonder how we might switch to a more accurate model...but it won't happen in 2.7, that's for sure.
My answer to that would definitely be yes. I think too many people free ride on the carcasses, finish the game quickly and easily, then complain that there isn't a third mission. Reducing carcasses would make the game take longer to complete and provide more action; two things players want. Besides, hunting is not very difficult (particularly when compared to the real world). Making carcasses rare will make the game so much more realistic and entertaining. How are people supposed to learn about the lifestyle of a wolf when they (literally) don't have to hunt once to stay at full health. I'd be happy to have the maximum number of carcasses be 4.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ˢ ʳ ˢ
ˢ ʳʸʰ ˢ ʰ
ˣ ˢ ʰˢ,
ʰ ʳʸʰ
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

av/sig/quote © coyoteflu/LupinzPack/patty griffin

Wolvencall
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: Maddie

Post by Wolvencall » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:00 pm

This makes me so happy that there are fewer carcasses! Too often i'd see a carcass and be deterred from hunting so i could just get pups food but in the real world there aren't that many carcasses, it would make it more of a challenge and people would have a better incentive to hunt and actually be a 'wolf'. I would ask if the elk are slowed down but as i continued my game-play i realized that wolves have to live with that they have and when you're slower you have to be smarter about bringing down elk so now i get in front of them and use that to my knowledge of how the AI elk move to my advantage. In its own way it makes it a lot more fun and educational.
Go your own way

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:21 am

ICYMI: Our new solution to the Too Many Carcasses problem:
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=77064

This has been on my mind for awhile, but thanks to this thread, I finally buckled down and thought it through to a much better solution.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

Dragonbot
Pup
Pup

Post by Dragonbot » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:41 pm

A Needlepoint Dreary wrote:I've had an elk with nine heads before. That's DEFINITELY way too many <3

If they'd decrease the number a leeeetle bit i'd be fine :3
Lol. I've only found a carcass with up to 3 heads. Even though there is an unrealistic amount of carcasses, they really come in handy when you need to feed FOUR HUNGRY PUPS :wolf: :wolf: :wolf: :wolf: . I always have a backup carcass nearby in case of emergencies. And if a bear eats it :bear: ..... Well, time to find a new backup carcass!
What has roots as nobody sees,
Is taller than trees,
Up, up it goes,
And yet never grows?

NeonWoodRose123
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by NeonWoodRose123 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:32 pm

This is so interesting, because, interestingly, my game NEVER offers me carcasses. I always have to survive on the ones I kill, so before my pups are born, I kill a few in advance. perhaps the levels DO have something to do with it? I am always on the Bring It On, but if I remember correctly, even on the easiest level, I have little carcasses that the game offers me. I remember in 2.5 there were too many carcasses, but on this updated one, I was sure they edited it alittle!

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Rowan

Post by valkea » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:45 pm

NeonWoodRose123 wrote:This is so interesting, because, interestingly, my game NEVER offers me carcasses. I always have to survive on the ones I kill, so before my pups are born, I kill a few in advance. perhaps the levels DO have something to do with it? I am always on the Bring It On, but if I remember correctly, even on the easiest level, I have little carcasses that the game offers me. I remember in 2.5 there were too many carcasses, but on this updated one, I was sure they edited it alittle!
In 2.7, yes, the difficulty level does affect how many carcasses are laying around in the world. Bring It On, being the hardest difficulty, has the lowest amount of carcasses you don't have to work for. The amount of carcasses even on the easiest level was still decreased for 2.7 though since there was an excessive amount of them in 2.5. This thread was created long before 2.7's release so it is largely based around 2.5 still since the majority of posts were made while only 2.5 was available, which would be why you see so many people saying carcasses are everywhere even though you don't see them much in 2.7. Just a difference in the versions being played/commented on for the majority of the thread!
má shínim seal uaire faoi chrann a dhéanamh só
o cad é sin don te sin nach mbaineann sin dó?

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:32 pm

Also, carcasses are more likely to appear when you're hungry.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”