WQ Game and Forum Activity - Why The Recent Drop? (GD)

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, paperpaws, Frodo1

Do you notice a difference in WQ's activity level? - Do you think it will improve in the future?

No, its the same.
No votes
Yes, its lower.
37%
Yes, its higher!
3%
-
3%
Yes, things will get better.
12%
No, WQ will die eventually.
9%
It will fluctuate; sometimes go up and sometimes down.
35%

Total votes: 99

Katherine Vampire
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Re: SQ Game and Forum Activity - Why The Recent Drop? (GD)

Post by Katherine Vampire » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:57 am

lucarioheart200 wrote:Yea. It's really annoying when we are roleplaying realistically and then someone says, "hunter chases. Gets shot." That just ruins everyone's time. All the roleplayers who want to be all-powerfull also want the roleplay to circle around only them. Then they make their wolf kill everyone in one bite or so.... just.... no. This is the reason I haven't even been on MP since... like... last year. The drama is just too much.
That's exactly the reason why I don't Roleplay as a wolf anymore. If I see your chat or any other person's chat who is on forum too, and it's a good friend, I am entering just to tell hello and probably after it leave. I haven't RP as a wolf since last year, and I can't even remember ^^;

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: WQ Game and Forum Activity - Why The Recent Drop? (GD)

Post by Neamara » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:13 pm

Katherine Vampire wrote:
lucarioheart200 wrote:Yea. It's really annoying when we are roleplaying realistically and then someone says, "hunter chases. Gets shot." That just ruins everyone's time. All the roleplayers who want to be all-powerfull also want the roleplay to circle around only them. Then they make their wolf kill everyone in one bite or so.... just.... no. This is the reason I haven't even been on MP since... like... last year. The drama is just too much.
That's exactly the reason why I don't Roleplay as a wolf anymore. If I see your chat or any other person's chat who is on forum too, and it's a good friend, I am entering just to tell hello and probably after it leave. I haven't RP as a wolf since last year, and I can't even remember ^^;
Please try to remain on-topic and keep your posts relevant to the subject. Thanks! :)

I agree that the forum and game activity has indeed declined from what it used to be; I have noticed at around 6-7 am in my timezone (GMT) there are fewer than five users online exempting guests... how things have changed. I agree entirely with Sintact on the basis that WolfQuest teaches about wolves and is meant to be educational, not fantasy or in any way unrealistic, and that can make people disinterested in the game after a while. That or the lack of updates which most do not understand how the process of funding goes/affects the game and community.
It is really such a shame that such an active game and forum would simply die off in terms of activity as it has over the past few months. Hopefully things will pick up again.
lol

[
XBL] • [PSN]
[
Switch SW-7220-7090-5161]

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Post by BlackWarrior » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:10 pm

I'm not sure about you guys, but this has got to be the most dead weekend ever. It's about 1 post an hour and no more than 20 users on at a time, sometimes less. I am truly hoping we will see a change in that for Sunday, but it seems that recently there is no telling.

I believe that what we are lacking is entertainment. Members are growing bored. And as I have said in recent posts, losing interest. Its a fact of funding and new episodes. The forum's activity seems to have dropped due to the fact that, because there aren't many new releases, we are losing the amount of users interested in joining.. So once some of the older and more active users fall inactive, we seem to be lacking the number of new users to replace them.
All we can do is do what we can to help with funding, activity ideas, stay active ourselves, and hope for a change in the near future.
Not all who w a n d e r are l o s t

Community Moderator ( April 2012 – July 2015 )
WQ Report Team ( 2012 – 2013 )
User of the Month ( December 2011 )

Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator
Name: Kali

Post by Alpha Female » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:19 pm

Don't forget that this weekend is a holiday for most people, so they may be spending more time with their families than on here. ;3
I'm sure activity will pick up next weekend/this coming week. ^^
SOMETIMES
A KING
HAS TO REMIND
FOOLS WHY HE'S
K I N G

~WolfQuest member since 1969~

failwolf56
Yearling
Yearling

Post by failwolf56 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:26 pm

I agree with you Night, it's like a ghost town. o-o Easter/Passover probably have something to do with it. I know everyone is hoping activity will pick-up, but I think we should be a little more realistic. Although there's bound to be a rise in activity during April Vacation, the general forum activity has gone drastically done. I think the best, and most effective way to bring activity up is to make the game more interesting. There are millions of forums out there, where anyone can go and feel welcome; as well as participate in activities. We want WQ members to feel loyalty towards the Community. If you really enjoy the game, you'll stick with the Community/Forums. I think we really should start planning ways to get funding. Either organizing letters to possible funders, or having our own fundraiser. Anything to bring the Community together and keep Wolfquest going! I love this place, and I know many others do. I don't want to see it slowly die off like this.
Nov. 2011 UotM

Tita
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Tita » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:30 pm

I agree, Night. Usually the forum is crawling with activity on weekends. Now it seems the server is deserted, regardless of the current holiday. I believe there was even more productivity around Christmas.
While I do think users are growing bored of the game and forum due to lack of entertainment and new episodes, there has got to be a way to keep the forum going without funding. Something new, exciting to make it attract more users. In my honest opinion, I think the majority of WQ users - I hate saying this - don't care to talk about nature and such. It isn't an interesting aspect in their eyes. So, while I think activity there needs to be improved and could be increased, the part of the forum that users enjoy the most could be changed a bit to make it a bit more fun, I guess you could say. I'm not sure how you'd go about this, however...
xD I've been ninja'd so many times now.
Go away, evil Mr. Scissors!

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Post by BlackWarrior » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:38 pm

I suppose the Holiday would have an effect in activity. ^^" (We are celebrating tomorrow)
I like the idea of pulling the community together and figuring out a way to get funding. I also agree that things need to lighten up, and perhaps be changed to give off a bit more fun. I'm really low on ideas at the moment. But it seems that (even after the weekend passes) the forum will continue to decrease in activity, because I have noticed it dropping for several weeks now. Not just this weekend. I'm hoping flower, that you are right about it picking up next weekend. Lets hope, wait, and see. c:
Not all who w a n d e r are l o s t

Community Moderator ( April 2012 – July 2015 )
WQ Report Team ( 2012 – 2013 )
User of the Month ( December 2011 )

Sintact

Post by Sintact » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:03 pm

One of the factors that also influence in this subject is the speed of the forums. Not everyone has all day long for waiting until one single page loads, then wait for it to load again for replying, and then once again for posting it. This problem has been on since I returned to the Community and for what they told me has been on much before that.

WolfQuest and the team are also not giving any new signal for getting enthusiast about the project and the Community. It’s just reading the last Newsletter (http://www.wolfquest.org/wq_newsletters ... etter.html) for thinking it twice about returning to the community.

“The Future...
With the launch of WolfQuest: Survival of the Pack Deluxe the WolfQuest team is now on a development hiatus. While we continue to discuss possible options for expansion of the game and WolfQuest community, we currently have no new releases planned or in development. Any changes to this will be announced on the WolfQuest website, forum and through our email newsletter. Thank you for playing!

(Also it has been announced here: http://wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=60545 → in that thread the amount of replies from different users was bigger than in any other new announcement up to the date. This tells us that after November there was a drop that has been increasing until now and will probably continue to do so if we don't do a thing about it.)

Of course if they aren’t really planning a new episode or any new update you have to say the truth about it, but also saying the truth in this case plays a role with a double face.

1) You are telling the truth about it, making everyone know that the game and Community will have no new things to do or to see.

2) You tell the truth about it, but also could say -besides saying we will have no new things in the game- that we will have new things in the Community and actually have something new.

In this second point, at least you are leaving a step in blank, a surprise no one will know what it is. Members will have at least something to think about and get eager with.

There hasn’t been a new Newsletter since November; no new updates, not a single signal of life from WQ. I believe that if the Team, registered users or the WQ Coordinator plans out a couple contests and send a Newsletter about it, the Community will increase it’s activity almost instantly.

Even though they already said they are not working in a new release (and knowing the project is based on funding), they should do something (a thread, an announcement, etc) about what’s going on in the team’s mind…

Tita
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Tita » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:36 am

Sintact, you have a point. With development slowing down, users are bound to grow tired of WQ, and with that message, it seems as if the game is dying. This turns new users away and the ones that do decide to join usually forsake the game very soon due to its repetivenes. And when the game stops bring in users, the forum tends to die. This is something that definitely could be solved, and I agree that a new annoucment, etc. could help this situation.
As for the forum lagging, that is a major issue as well. I was actually thinking about this this morning. It often makes me frustrated and I don't like waiting as much as the next guy, but there's nothing that can be done to resolve the problem currently. Patience ia a virtue, I guess. :3
I often see users that appear(via "Who is Online?" xD) to only check WQ for PM's. I'd just like to mention that. c: Those are users that could probably be reeled in and promote to the forum's activity.
Go away, evil Mr. Scissors!

Thandi
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by Thandi » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:29 am

Well I don't really think that the drop in activeness is because of lack of creativity or interest.

People do have outside lives and sometimes they just can't really access WolfQuest. Plus, school is at it's peak at the moment, all these mid terms and tests and exams, [that's a lot of studying! And not very much time to jump into the internet and play.], can be very overwhelming.

Also, it's spring! I'm not sure where any of you guys live, but when you live on the Pacific it's really warm and nice. The waves are great to surf on, and it's time to tan! A lot of people also go on vacation over spring break, that could be a factor too.

Personally, I'm very satisfied with the latest version. I don't think any changes should be made, it's already very big! Some computers are old and can't handle so much.

As for forum speed, yeah, it could be better. But I can live with some lag.
everything out of the ordinary is considered weird, i try to stay clear of the eathlings and their fears

Angelion Blackfire
Name: V.

Post by Angelion Blackfire » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:03 pm

I'm one of those member's that has become inactive... Most of the reasons were already stated...
Personally I think WQ Forum should change somehow... Don't know how, but somehow...
There's one thing I've been always wondering: how comes no one makes game mods for WQ? I mean, k, I have no clue how that stuff works buuut... It should be possible?
However, just got a writing block so ya, can't say more than this... xD Just hope it gets better...I used to log in every day for about 3 years...but now there's no point to do so since most of my friends left...

P.S. - took me 1h to reply to the topic because of the lag...awesomeness...

Steeps

Post by Steeps » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:44 pm

All good things come to an end, I suppose. When that is exactly, I cannot say.

But I wonder... could this drop in activity (for whatever combination of reasons) be the start of a downward spiral that we can never recover from?

I hate to sound like a doomsdayer though :| . If only we had access to visuals, like graphs and such, that could project the activity levels of WQ since its creation. Then we could compare how it was between past episodes. Perhaps, then we would see that we are possibly overreacting? All we have right now is the recollections of the senior members. Which isn't bad, but solid data is quite good.

Speaking of passing generations... perhaps farther than we can foresee, an episode will come out that brings with it a new generation of users to support the community as we do now. Users come and go all the time, in mini-generations, but perhaps what we are experiencing right now is the 'end' of the 'beginning', and someday there could be a second beginning, a new community/big generation for WQ.

Thandi
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by Thandi » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:01 pm

Steeps wrote:Speaking of passing generations... perhaps farther than we can foresee, an episode will come out that brings with it a new generation of users to support the community as we do now. Users come and go all the time, in mini-generations, but perhaps what we are experiencing right now is the 'end' of the 'beginning', and someday there could be a second beginning, a new community/big generation for WQ.
Maybe. But I think the WolfQuest team should spend more time improving forum speed than a new episode. Personally, I think the current episode is just fine.
everything out of the ordinary is considered weird, i try to stay clear of the eathlings and their fears

Khia 112
Pup
Pup

Post by Khia 112 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:29 pm

I think as for the game, people are beginning to not play the game as much because of all the new glitches, or because of the new version they're too busy playing the game to use the forums as much.
......................'..Rain, rain, go away
.....................Come again another day
...............All the world is waiting for the sun
.......................To lie here under you
.......................Is all I could ever do ♥

Av/Sig: LupinzPack/Emberflare

Croix
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Croix » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:44 am

I do agree that activity has declined quite a bit around here, sadly.

In my opinion, the best thing we can do is get the people from the game to visit the forums more and vice versa. That way the forums would regain more activity, as well as getting more mature players into the game - it's been evident that people are now leaving the game because of the demeanor of the "normal" person playing, which tends to be a bad roleplaying, unrealistic, drama-causing, overreacting child who doesn't know proper grammar. If there were more people on the game like there were on the forums, I admit I would even go on more.
Regarding the forums, I believe more contests/events should be brought back and made better! Things like the Elk Kill Challenge (http://wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=46133), WolfQuest Olympics (http://wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=56490), and Countdown to Christmas / Holidays Competition (http://wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=60643) were great things to have, and there is no doubt that they weren't fun for the community and boosted activity.

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”