WQ Game and Forum Activity - Why The Recent Drop? (GD)

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, paperpaws, Frodo1

Do you notice a difference in WQ's activity level? - Do you think it will improve in the future?

No, its the same.
No votes
Yes, its lower.
37%
Yes, its higher!
3%
-
3%
Yes, things will get better.
12%
No, WQ will die eventually.
9%
It will fluctuate; sometimes go up and sometimes down.
35%

Total votes: 99

Sintact

Re: WQ Game and Forum Activity - Why The Recent Drop? (GD)

Post by Sintact » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:33 pm

Everytime I go to multiplayer I suggest players to logn in into the community. It seems it works and they come, but asking them to stay longer is something I can't (we can't) control.

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Post by BlackWarrior » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:15 pm

I agree that the forums should be more introduced to the game. And the game to the forums. We need a balance of active members and mature members in both places. It seems the community is more of a hang out area for all the active members, because they don't have to worry about glitches, lags and connection failures. This makes sense. But perhaps it is a nice way to tie the community and game together by introducing more frequent members of both places, to the opposite.

When you count the number of guests that view the forum all day, and refer to them as registered users, there is actually quite a bit if activity around the forums. It is good to know that at least guests are viewing the forums. And also the fact that many users are joining each day, shows us that WolfQuest is still bringing in new users to possibly pick up future generations activity.

It would be quite cool and interesting to see just how many downloads the game gets on "average" per year, and better yet, per day.
Not all who w a n d e r are l o s t

Community Moderator ( April 2012 – July 2015 )
WQ Report Team ( 2012 – 2013 )
User of the Month ( December 2011 )

Sintact

Post by Sintact » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:23 pm

I think the team should manage those numbers since it's important to them as well know how many people are downloading the game (as they need funding, what one should do is introduce the project to an institute, show figures and facts that can tell that the game is effectively being played and it has an impact in the people that play).

We could do a small campaign around multiplayer; perhaps 10 members go online and every one starts a game with the name “WQ Community”, “WolfQuest Forum” and so on. People will start wondering what that means and join the chat, and then we explain and invite them to join the community actively.

I agree, even though there are not too many registered users online daily, there are always 20-30 guests online at the time; which is good. Maybe they already created an account and are waiting for activation, or they will create an account, etc.

Khia 112
Pup
Pup

Post by Khia 112 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:15 pm

Sintact wrote:We could do a small campaign around multiplayer; perhaps 10 members go online and every one starts a game with the name “WQ Community”, “WolfQuest Forum” and so on. People will start wondering what that means and join the chat, and then we explain and invite them to join the community actively.
That sounds like it could work. I'd be willing to start a chat if it's actually done.
......................'..Rain, rain, go away
.....................Come again another day
...............All the world is waiting for the sun
.......................To lie here under you
.......................Is all I could ever do ♥

Av/Sig: LupinzPack/Emberflare

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Post by BlackWarrior » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:31 pm

That's an interesting idea, and unique way to encourage users to visit the forums and community. I think the problem is, most people are not actually aware that the forums are even here. And especially that they are able to actually log in and post.

I know that from experience, it took me almost a year to even find the forums, let alone get up the nerve to post here. I think it was because you really dont know what to say, or where to start.

I really think there are more users stalking the forums than what we see. I used to be one of the many guests who just watched the activity by the sidelines. But I was greatly rewarded once I decided to post here. And now enjoy the community like no other.
Users that are guests or not registered yet/waiting activation, just need to take part in the discussion without hesitation, which would greatly improve the activity on the forums.

Sintact

Post by Sintact » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:37 pm

I’m also willing to start a chat with the characteristics I suggested.

Black, I also took at least three months to realize there was a community. That’s why, by making this chats what active community members would have to do is explain and encourage what the community is and what can you do there.

I suggested an idea for the episode that was added, this is, rules were added as well as the link to the community for multiplayer. Most people, as they also do with “accept terms and license” they just press “accept” and start playing without even reading.

Since that system might not be working, we should do what I just suggested.

I know many Pack Central packs have only multiplayer members. This is, members from the pack went to multiplayer and started recruiting players and they actually joined the community actively for a while… the problem is that they are not constant.

I also suggested an idea for the forums a while back about the pop-up message at the index of the community. That would definitely help, but from here to when it’s actually done... well…

failwolf56
Yearling
Yearling

Post by failwolf56 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:21 pm

I'd probably be willing to help out with you guys^^

The idea you suggested sounds familiar, I feel like we might have done something similar a month or two ago. (That, or I'm going crazy) :P Nonetheless, it's a great idea and I hope it works!

When I first played the game, I had absolutely no idea there were forums and a Community. I remember wanting to join a pack, but having no idea there was a place to look for them. Seeing as a new episode is uncertain at this point, I say we follow through with your idea and inform MP players about the website.
Nov. 2011 UotM

Sintact

Post by Sintact » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:31 pm

Okay then, if we gather up a couple more people I will start a new topic in this same forum about this small project, then more users could join us and establish turns for creating chats.

Maybe there should also be a “Welcome Center” rather than using “Introduce Yourself” (perhaps using the same thread I will create. In this "Welcome Center" there will be a small guide and FAQ about WQ). Most new users don’t even know how to use the forums (how to post, reply, and less they will know how to look up for a board and a thread).

What are your suggestions?

failwolf56
Yearling
Yearling

Post by failwolf56 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:01 pm

Well, I can always help out and get on MP games, but it's going to be fairly difficult to keep such a small group constantly making these chats. I think a new topic centered around helping improve the Community activity would do it. We've already got a funding topic, and this topic. Someone ought to merge them, and make one large topic on helping the future of Wolfquest.

Anyway, I think the Introduce Yourself forum is straight-forward enough, but I don't really agree with it's placement. I suggested it be put up on the top of all the forums a while back, but I think we've had a lot going on around here, and it probably isn't easy to do those sort of things. My suggestion is for you (or myself) to make a thread (with moderator approval) in the I.Y forum with links to everything a new user might need. This would limit the amount of people posting "Forum Guidelines" or "FAQ" links in every thread they come upon. It's a simpler version of your idea^^
Nov. 2011 UotM

Thandi
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by Thandi » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:40 am

I like your idea, Sintact.

Perhaps we could expand it to other online games such as Transformice as well. But I'm sure doing it on multiplayer would be just a perfect, if not better.
everything out of the ordinary is considered weird, i try to stay clear of the eathlings and their fears

Unlucky 13
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Unlucky 13 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:29 pm

A MP room sounds like a good idea, hopefully attract more people onto the forums as well as the game.
Moved to A Jokers Curse

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Post by BlackWarrior » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:33 pm

I also think this decrease of activity is due to unawareness. WolfQuest isn't entirely a game everyone knows about, like Sims, because it is a game you download from online.
So not only should game users be more aware about the forums, so should the public. I personally would have never found the game if I hadn't been doing a wolf project and happened to accidentally find the site.

Perhaps if more people were aware of the game, more people would download it, and we would receive more registerers. There definitely has been a decrease in the activity around here, which hopefully won't last. But we can't be promised that it will pick up again, so until then, we need more users interested in taking part in the community.

Seranda7
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Seranda7 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:49 pm

I've noticed the drop too, but activity, at least for me, seems to have been declining since I joined, when I there was usually being 50+ users online. I think to figure out why this is, you have to look at the game.

It's the source of the majority of members, and what draws new ones in. I think people were a little disappointed with the new game release. Weather and time is cool, but not much more then fancy graphics. The player cannot interact with it the same way they can elk, their mate, and pups. There were other changes made to multi, but in essence the game stayed the same. Thus, once you've run around in the snow and watched a tree catch on fire from lightning, the game is just what it was before that.

Because of a lack of funding, this was all that could be added. Perhaps, if instead calves, or cougars had been added - objects you can interact with - there might have been a peak, rather then a fall.

I'm not exactly an excellent role model as far as activity goes, but even my leave can be explained by the game. I was coming on WQ just to check the packs I was in, and was expecting an increase of applications for those packs, in particular SRP. There's was only a few active members in the pack from after my joining time - a year ago now. I was hoping we'd get some more newbies, but the peak from the game was short lived, and none came in. The motivation and incentive to post was gone, so I didn't, and for months. I've focused instead on promoting the pack however I can elsewhere. We need members, and we're just not getting them on WQ, so I've tried to find other reliable sources.

I left because of a decline in new members, there were no new members because the game didn't live up to the expectations, the game didn't live up to expectations because of a lack of funding. It's not hard for me to see why even those who have been active members for years would stop visiting the forums. If your posts get no replies, and there's less people to interact with, then you lose the whole point of having a forum.

So, it seems to me this whole activity drop goes straight to funding. Hopefully this post has helped people see why funding is important, and why it relates directly to the activity of the forums.

~ Sera
Hey there!

You! Yes, you! You attractive person you!

Wanna know a secret?

http://www.serenityriverpack.com
(At 140+ members, we're the largest pack on WQ.)

Adalae
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Adalae » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:27 pm

I have definitely been seeing a drop in forum activity. I think everyone can agree they also have, too. For me, my schedule is just getting so busy. I am normally able to sneak on at least once a day, though other people may not be so lucky. I feel like we should try and organize more events to make more people interested in WolfQuest. i know the the mods are planning things like these already. Let's take the suggestions and make them a reality! Sintact, I think your idea could work. I didn't know of the game until a couple months after I began playing it. When I joined the forums the main thing that interested me was pack central, and I stayed there for a long time after joining the forums instead of widening my perspective to other areas. I think we should organize some Pack central event as well, somehow. I think it would be great to have packs thriving again since it was a big part of the community previously.

of course funding is always an issue to keep refreshing game content, but while we cannot get funding I think there are other things we can do to help forum activity.
"Its not one of those things you can fix like you fix your bow tie.
.......... Dont give me those big wet eyes, Raggedy Man."

http://tinyurl.com/thefourclans

Griffinsong
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Griffinsong » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:42 pm

Hmm, just now found this topic.

I agree with what has been said up to an extent, but I think Tita said it best on the first page--it doesn't seem to be due as much to the game itself as it is to the fact that many people will not join or stay in a community where they feel they cannot speak freely. I'm not talking about inappropriate behavior, either. When there's so much that you can't talk about it starts to make you feel like there is nothing you /can/ discuss outside of the game. Which is boring at this point if you've played it through several times. The plotline is always predetermined and so, so short--I know people who can finish the whole game in a day if they don't run into glitches. And it's fun to be able to stretch your imagination beyond the boundaries of real life, which is what fiction is.

Personally, the reason why I've almost completely poofed from these forums is that I would rather spend my time in places where I can talk freely and meet people who may not necessarily be one hundred percent G-rated and/or have no interest in wolves. Agreeing with Silvermoonlight. Humans are humans first and wolf fans second. Also I'm tired of elitism.

As to suggestions on bringing forum activity up? The only one I could think of would never be implemented. Drop every rule for a month. Double posting, bumping, discussion rules, all of it; let the community moderate itself. People who are outright hostile will leave of their own volition because other users would shun them due to their attitude. People who value the community but feel like they can't talk will come back or stay. xP Again, this is just an idea. I apologize of any of this comes of as hostile; that's not my intention but I know it can sometimes read like that. =D

edit: I know the chances of anyone reading this post are infinitesimal but wow dang I was a pretentious jerk in 2012 and I would like to apologize from current me to everyone who had to deal with the pile of All-Around Terrible Words I wrote up there.
Last edited by Griffinsong on Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”