WQ Game and Forum Activity - Why The Recent Drop? (GD)

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, paperpaws, Frodo1

Do you notice a difference in WQ's activity level? - Do you think it will improve in the future?

No, its the same.
No votes
Yes, its lower.
37%
Yes, its higher!
3%
-
3%
Yes, things will get better.
12%
No, WQ will die eventually.
9%
It will fluctuate; sometimes go up and sometimes down.
35%

Total votes: 99

Quivira
Former WQ Moderator

Re: WQ Game and Forum Activity - Why The Recent Drop? (GD)

Post by Quivira » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:16 pm

Miku Hatsune wrote:I agree with Failwolf about the issue on funding. But some other issues tend to drive members away too, as Sintact mentioned. I left the WolfQuest community about a year ago, actually, and only recently returned. Why, I don't know, but it was mostly to create a pack topic for a pack that I own offsite. Actually, due to some recent events I'm tempted to leave again (;
If you are having trouble with your site, be sure to check out this thread: http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=57144

Make sure your permissions are secure and if you are opening your pack site to guests, you also could be opening it up to trouble. ;D

Snakes

knives
-- Butch  Deloria

avatar/sig © Lupinzpack/twinlinskis

_Denali_
Yearling
Yearling

Post by _Denali_ » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:26 pm

I think it will fluctuate and go up and down, judging by the fact that, along with inactivity increase, more new users are joining and WolfQuest activity is becoming a bit higher. Right now, it seems to be the game that's more inactive. Multiplayer is a wreck due to all these mate-related issues, and single player is probably inactive too because nothing new is happening. But I'm relatively "newer" here, being as I joined around when 2.5 was released and available for download. So I'm not as experienced as some.

ZippyWizard
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by ZippyWizard » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:32 pm

Just like any business, game, website, etc. WQ's activity will go down depending on the surrounding attractions in online RPGs. It's like at a theme park: Everyone loves the rickety old ride because it's so much fun and there's no other ride like it, but when the Turbo Fast Ride comes in, everyone rides that ride-until it gets boring, then they go back to the basic old rickety ride. People aren't as active here right now because, let's face it, there are more entertaining and mind-boggling games in the RPG world. Skyrim, FeralHeart, etc. There are a lot of options that simply beat WolfQuest at their own game. Once these games fade out (when they will, no one knows) people will hopefully come back to the basics because they're feeling a little nostalgic. Get my drift?
You walk like a storm, and I will follow.

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Rowan

Post by valkea » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:35 pm

WolfQuest isn't exactly an RPG, though. It's a simulation game with focus on education. Games like Skyrim and Feralheart, though, are definitely not simulators, and it's a bit unfair to WQ to compare it to Skyrim.
má shínim seal uaire faoi chrann a dhéanamh só
o cad é sin don te sin nach mbaineann sin dó?

ZippyWizard
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by ZippyWizard » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:40 pm

It's not, but a lot of people use it that way. And I'm not really being unfair-Skyrim is just an example of what a lot of WolfQuest players might be turning to as an alternative to this game. It's not because it's better, it's because this game is just at a dead spot right now and Skyrim's improving basically by the second. If there's one thing I'm learning in my Journalism class, it's that if people find something boring, they will turn away from that and to an alternative that seems newer and more exciting to them. Does that mean that Skyrim is better than WQ? Well, in some circumstances, yes. But they're completely different genres and types of computer games that are out there for the public at this point.
You walk like a storm, and I will follow.

alethe
Name: [REDACTED]

Decline in Activity- Your thoughts?

Post by alethe » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:30 pm

What are your thoughts in the decline in activity on WQ?

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I eat danger for breakfast!
Actually, I don’t. I prefer cereal.

av/sig : lupe

Floofysaur
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: Fwoof

Re: Decline in Activity- Your thoughts?

Post by Floofysaur » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:05 pm

It's been a long-run as far as I could say. Joining here back in '09, the game and the forums were active. The game had the best qualities, not much lag, bugs, etc. Now with the economy is taking effect greatly, that the activeness of this community drops as we speak. Not just by that though, kids are getting older and we can't all depend on staying her any longer. So it's definitely a big change right now.
Roses are gray,
Violets are blue,
I am a dog

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:18 pm

The project has been running for a very long time; I'd argue its not necessarily the economy as a whole but simply a re-allocation of focus and funds for the zoo itself as its interests stray elsewhere and move on to "bigger and better" things -- that's my impression. Anyway, it's been going on for a very long time, there is no new content, and thus the dedicate fanbase is deteriorating. Certainly not the first and won't be the last site that will end like this.
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

Edme1
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Edme1 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:49 am

WolfQuest has been running for quite a while, so its end was always inevitable, as is pretty much every project like this. It was great, but all good things have to come to an end. It's also doubtful that the fanbase will stay or continue growing; if I stumbled upon WQ but found out it was closing down, I doubt I'd join. All in all, WQ was great while it lasted. c:
Bustin' makes me feel good~

"Advance or a8scond!"

♋ ♈ ♉ ♊ ♌ ♍ ♎ ♏ ♐ ♑ ♒ ♓

http://blueranyk.deviantart.com/
Av from Homestuck

alethe
Name: [REDACTED]

Post by alethe » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:53 pm

It would be interesting to see if, by some means, activity does pick up again. I remember this place when I joined. It was so active and fun. Now its only a few people now compared to before. Sad.

I personally think they should set it up so that it costs some money to play the game. $.99 really isn't that much to a single person, but it adds up.

I eat danger for breakfast!
Actually, I don’t. I prefer cereal.

av/sig : lupe

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:39 pm

river6 wrote:It would be interesting to see if, by some means, activity does pick up again. I remember this place when I joined. It was so active and fun. Now its only a few people now compared to before. Sad.

I personally think they should set it up so that it costs some money to play the game. $.99 really isn't that much to a single person, but it adds up.
It won't pick up. So long as there is no new content to be released, the activity level will not change.

They shouldn't charge. The game was meant to be a free, educational game avaliable to everyone. Charging an amount of money, no matter how small, goes against that original purpose. Regardless, the Minnesota Zoo has made it clear they do not wish to continue the project and would rather spend their funds elsewhere.
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

Chemuhk
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Chemuhk » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:33 pm

Koa wrote:It won't pick up. So long as there is no new content to be released, the activity level will not change.
I absolutely agree that this is the case. When I first joined some 3 years ago, things were a quite a bit more active with the release of new expansions and updates, and I was all into it. Now that those expansions have stopped and most everyone knows they have, the need for new content (not for the game, just in general) falls to the community. Problem is, with the community slowly thinning out, we can't truly add that flair to the forums. When the forums were being expanded with extra sections back in the day, things were going strong and so was the use of said forums. But now that there's little to add, there isn't a significant incentive to log back in every day.

The other big piece was mentioned by SpecialK back in the thread. I can't speak for every one of us, but I know that personally when I joined in years back as a 13-14 year old this was an exceptional experience, and I loved being part of a fun community. Problem is that this is a sort of community that can't age and mature along with us. That might not be a bad thing at all; in fact, I love this community and how understandable and open it is for any age, especially young ones. All I'm trying to get at is that it's hard to keep coming back to a community that is, though this is a generality, younger, and lacks any significant evolution over time. Between today and back then, there aren't any big distinctions in how the community interacts and functions as whole. Keep in mind that these are all just my silly opinions, and could be false as a whole. I'm just saying what I feel.

However, I can still say that my time with WQ was fantastic and a great learning experience. Though it may be thinning out, I think a community this awesome will keep goin' for quite a while, and I still look forward to the future!
För allting börja nånstans när ja tappar balansen,
Woah,
Det klart det blir så när man dansar
nära kanten.

Joligra
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Joligra » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:54 pm

I sorta quit back in 2011. I wish I didn't, now that everything is slowed down now. I missed many things, but it was great the little time I spent on the game </3 (I stumbled back here and remembered my old password).. (Going through my old PM's and noticing how bad my grammar was Dx)
Stay classy

YinLynn
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by YinLynn » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:04 pm

I just came across this and found it interesting. I joined WQ four years ago next week. (I was Saphfire back then, but after going inactive for awhile I forgot my password.) I was fourteen then, and absolutely loved the idea of being a wolf. Still, four years later, I actively role play. I come on WolfQuest to skim forums and packs and play the multiplayer game to kill time. With all the lagging that my slow computer causes, I tend to become impatient and stick to my sites that I role play on.

Honestly, if I was required to pay $0.99 to play WolfQuest, I never would have started. I don't even pay that for apps for my iPhone and iPod. I only play free games, and I'm sure a lot of people are the same way. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy it, and I don't regret starting to role play, but it's not something I would pay to do. I do still love it though. (:

Windstrider
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Erick, Zhenya, Wind

Post by Windstrider » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:55 pm

I always get irritated when I see a really cool game, only to find out I have to pay for it or subscribe to do anything interesting. But if it's only like 5 bucks maximum, and there was the promise of new content, I'd be willing to do that.
"The strength and the fellowship of the clan will always be with you, even when you hunt alone." - Warriors

==================================================

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”