[P.C.D.]How do you think a Pack Leader should be and act?

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

1BitJay
Name: Jay

Re: [P.C.D.]How do you think a Pack Leader should be and act

Post by 1BitJay » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:51 am

Seranda7, you do make a valuable point. I completely understand your point. But, in a pack leader, I dont look at the reputation at all. Period.
I ᗯOᑌᒪᗪ ᔕᗩY TᕼᗩT ᗰᑌᔕIᑕ Iᔕ TᕼE EᗩᔕIEᔕT ᗰEᗩᑎᔕ
Iᑎ ᗯᕼIᑕᕼ TO E᙭ᑭᖇEᔕᔕ, ᗷᑌT ᔕIᑎᑕE ᗯOᖇᗪᔕ ᗩᖇE ᗰY
TᗩᒪEᑎT,
I ᗰᑌᔕT TᖇY TO E᙭ᑭᖇEᔕᔕ ᑕᒪᑌᗰᔕIᒪY Iᑎ
ᗯOᖇᗪᔕ
ᗯᕼᗩT TᕼE ᑭᑌᖇE ᗰᑌᔕIᑕ ᗯOᑌᒪᗪ ᕼᗩᐯE ᗪOᑎE ᗷETTEᖇ.

αν;; i forgot </3 ѕιg;; мє
1BitJay

Sintact

Post by Sintact » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:36 pm

All points of view are accepted, none of them will be incorrect since it's every user's personal view.

About reputation:

I would never join someone’s pack knowing that him or her used to troll everyone around the forum (maybe I will think it twice if that person changes), also would never join a pack if I ask a Mod about their official warnings and they actually have one or two warnings besides having their account banned once. Why? Because as I said before, I’m searching for a role model that will teach members how to behave around, how to make the community better, etc. I’m not saying the pack leader is a bad person if they have a bad reputation, but I will know that him/her doesn’t acquire the 100% of my requirements.

If there was a misunderstanding between packs and one of the leader’s reputation is “damaged”, well then that leader should clarify what happened and after that there should be no problems. It would be quite different if that pack leader after damaging his/her reputation disappears and never comes back for clarifying things.

pengo123
Pup
Pup

Post by pengo123 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:54 am

sintact wrote:

I would never join someone’s pack knowing that him or her used to troll everyone around the forum (maybe I will think it twice if that person changes), also would never join a pack if I ask a Mod about their official warnings and they actually have one or two warnings besides having their account banned once. Why? Because as I said before, I’m searching for a role model that will teach members how to behave around, how to make the community better, etc. I’m not saying the pack leader is a bad person if they have a bad reputation, but I will know that him/her doesn’t acquire the 100% of my requirements.

If there was a misunderstanding between packs and one of the leader’s reputation is “damaged”, well then that leader should clarify what happened and after that there should be no problems. It would be quite different if that pack leader after damaging his/her reputation disappears and never comes back for clarifying things.

I totally agree with you there .
Wolflove

Silver_Stream00
Pup
Pup

Post by Silver_Stream00 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:43 am

I think a wolf pack needs to have a good theme, as that always attracts people, and that the leader should be in control, but still allow the group to have fun and do the stuff they want to do. My pack, WindSpirit Pack, is still new but I have found on other packs' threads that rules also help settle it down a bit so members can be sure that they won't meet anyone nasty in their chosen pack. The leader is a figurehead in a wolf pack so they also need to set a good example.
.//...'.'.'.'..(¨*.¸(¨*.¸´.¸ тђє คfricคɲ Stคrs Pคςƙ ¸.´¸.*¨) ¸.*¨)
.//...'.///////////.//////////'.'.'..Celebrating 2 years
...........Orbit, proud to be a Zaka of the African Stars Pack!
.//.......'.'.'.'..Come join the largest pack on WolfQuest today!:
..../....//.http://wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45816

Signature/Avatar by the African Stars Pack.

1BitJay
Name: Jay

Post by 1BitJay » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:30 pm

Sintact wrote:All points of view are accepted, none of them will be incorrect since it's every user's personal view.

About reputation:

Indeed I slightly agree. It does matter. But does it really? Only a status symbol. It can go from 100% down to 0% in a instant all because of gossip, misjudgement. It takes some people long to learn from their mistakes. In result; they get a warning. Does it matter? As long as the person is trying to change, shows respect, determination and confidence, they will make a great pack leader. Reputation is only a symbol. To all the pack leaders out there or soon to be pack leaders, dont give up based on your rep.

Not meant as an arguement but a discussion/opinion.
I ᗯOᑌᒪᗪ ᔕᗩY TᕼᗩT ᗰᑌᔕIᑕ Iᔕ TᕼE EᗩᔕIEᔕT ᗰEᗩᑎᔕ
Iᑎ ᗯᕼIᑕᕼ TO E᙭ᑭᖇEᔕᔕ, ᗷᑌT ᔕIᑎᑕE ᗯOᖇᗪᔕ ᗩᖇE ᗰY
TᗩᒪEᑎT,
I ᗰᑌᔕT TᖇY TO E᙭ᑭᖇEᔕᔕ ᑕᒪᑌᗰᔕIᒪY Iᑎ
ᗯOᖇᗪᔕ
ᗯᕼᗩT TᕼE ᑭᑌᖇE ᗰᑌᔕIᑕ ᗯOᑌᒪᗪ ᕼᗩᐯE ᗪOᑎE ᗷETTEᖇ.

αν;; i forgot </3 ѕιg;; мє
1BitJay

Thandi
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by Thandi » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:40 pm

I see what you are saying Jaymist. But... I would prefer someone who has a clean reputation than a tainted one to choose to be a leader or [my] leader. As Sintact said, the person who's reputation isn't the best should try to explain themselves. Then maybe I'd understand.

But still, I know that if a 'leader' gets in trouble, they still have great leadership qualities. But I probably wouldn't be able to trust them in the same way.
everything out of the ordinary is considered weird, i try to stay clear of the eathlings and their fears

Rikkuzilla
Name: Rikku

Post by Rikkuzilla » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:31 am

One the biggest challenges as a pack leader is to remain neutral and fair. I've had to make tough decisions while I was running Undine Falls, and had to struggle with being a "friend" vs. what was best for the entire pack if/when drama broke out. Sadly, it caused some burdens, and I am still probably looked at as a "bad guy" -- but it was something I had to do. When others start feeling uncomfortable, then it's time to take action. It's a pack after all...people should enjoy being together and working together.

In the early days of the pack, I actually had parents monitoring their children's activity on the chat and such. I'm very proud of these parents mind you, and kind of wish some of them had been more involved in sharing things with me, so I could continue to work on ways to keep the pack safe, fun, educational and suitable for anyone and everyone. I like getting opinions and ideas from both sides -- adults and the kids.

Internet safety and ocassional monitoring has always been very important to me -- especially when running a pack or guild with minors. I think some pack leaders (especially the young ones) should always take this into consideration. You are leading a pack and should be seen as a role model. You are playing a game that also attracts children. So, keep that in mind. (unless your pack has an age restriction...which people will probably lie to get in anyway).

There has to be a level of restraint when leading or managing as well. I have to act differently here, or when I was running my pack, or even at work, than I would if I was talking one on one to a friend at home.

Finally, you should simply treat your pack members as you would like to be treated.
:pawprint: WolfQuest: Undine Falls Pack Discord :pawprint:
**You must know a current member that uses the server to join.**

Thandi
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by Thandi » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:30 pm

Rikkuzilla wrote:I am still probably looked at as a "bad guy"
But hey, sometimes you have to be the bad guy. It all helps in the end result. :wink:
everything out of the ordinary is considered weird, i try to stay clear of the eathlings and their fears

Steeps

Post by Steeps » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:00 pm

Thandi wrote:
Rikkuzilla wrote:I am still probably looked at as a "bad guy"
But hey, sometimes you have to be the bad guy. It all helps in the end result. :wink:
And what one person deems as 'the bad guy' may be seen as 'the good guy' by others. So really, is there a such thing as bad guys and good guys at all, or just a bunch of 'guys' with varying degrees of desicion-making skills?

(Deep post is deep :P )

Granger
Former WQ Moderator
Name: Shelby

Post by Granger » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:05 pm

Rikkuzilla wrote:In the early days of the pack, I actually had parents monitoring their children's activity on the chat and such. I'm very proud of these parents mind you, and kind of wish some of them had been more involved in sharing things with me, so I could continue to work on ways to keep the pack safe, fun, educational and suitable for anyone and everyone. I like getting opinions and ideas from both sides -- adults and the kids.
Funny enough, I was on WolfQuest and hiding it from my parents for about a year and a half until I finally got caught by my mom. Becuase of the website I was on, and it being a very good one with low amounts of drama and stuff, she really doesn't care. She even jumped on the chat one time from the laptop. I had remained logged in, and she just started chatting stuff about me loving my mommy and stuff... I thought it was pretty funny, even if she was trying to humiliate me. The even funnier thing was she liked the pack layout and commented on my post count being ridiculously high.

The thing is though, on another pack her popping in might have been met with less open results. But Crimes was all good with it. Whoo!

There is this one thing I like that applies to many things. Like, with horses and riding in general. You can't always be your horse's best friend, some times you have to be a bit stern or short with them. If you don't set boundaries or rules and enforce them, they'll stomp you into the dirt and munch on your hair. Same thing goes with members of packs. Your best friend might be a pack leader. You might cuss or do something that is against the rules. Option A is to enforce the rules, and give the member a warning whether friend or not. Option B is to ignore it and I'm sure we all know what happens then! Yikes!

Another thing is a pack leader needs to be unconditionally fair and just in their decisions. Say ____ has a close friend, and a person that ____ really doesn't like. Both of them accidentally cuss in the chat. The friend might get a warning and a chat clear. The person ____ doesn't like might get banned permanently. The issue here? The person ____ disliked got a harsher punishment just because you don't like them, which is maddening.

Overall, I'd say that the easiest way to be a great pack leader is to just be fair and not judge. And also, if you do something wrong, fix it! Send out an apology. Offer something for compensation. Chances are whomever you wronged will just be impressed by your apology, or they will at least dislike you less. And if not, oh well, the person likely wants to be just left alone, which is no problem.

Sintact

Post by Sintact » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:34 pm

Guys, do you think I should (or someone should) synthesize everything that has been said here in order to create a new Pack Central FA question about how a good pack leader should be?

Everyone who has posted here has a good position towards the subject and different ways of analyzing the same topic, I’m glad how everyone entered the conversation and started sharing their ideals. Hopefully the discussion will continue, but right I need to know if you think it’s a good idea or not what I asked above.

WolvesOfTheSeas
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by WolvesOfTheSeas » Wed May 02, 2012 6:55 pm

A pack leader should be a responsible leader and well take his/her pack and they should act the same-thing they act to they family member
Running With The Wolves by Wolf Information & Awareness Center:
Like a family, the Wolf pack is a social unit. The pack consists of the breeding pair, or parents, called the alphas and their daughters, sons, sisters, and brothers. The alphas are not always the biggest Wolves in the pack, but are generally the toughest and most respected. Wolf packs have from two to an undetermined number of individuals. The average Wolf pack consists of four to seven individuals, with packs having as many as thirty-six members documented, and packs having over fifty members rumored about. In Europe, Wolf packs are smaller, having just three or four Wolves each.

The pack is led by the alpha male and/or female. The term "alpha" was coined in 1974 by Rudolph Schenkel, a Swiss animal behaviorist. The alpha male usually controls the activities of the other Wolves in the pack, but occasionally a very strong female who has usurped control from him. The pack structure benefits Wolves greatly in places where they may act unrestricted by human beings. As the old saying goes, "there is power in numbers," and this especially comes into play when Wolves hunt as a group or collectively care for and teach their puppies. Hunting as a group allows the taking of larger pray; the Wolves can relay in the chase, thus conserving their strength, and bringing to bear more claws and fangs on their intended meal. Where human beings resort to shooting Wolves for depredation of livestock, or acts of artificially contrived population control, the pack structure can actually act as a disadvantage, as Wolves can be killed en masse from airplanes and helicopters.

When a pack alpha is deposed by the pack, which means forcefully removed form the pack, or becomes the victim of a fatal injury or illness, the pack may have only the remaining alpha for a time until another suitable mate is selected. Deposition may result in the death of the ousted member as a frenzy of violence, sort of like mob mentality, may lead the pack to chasing the deposed Wolf to exhaustion and then killing him or her.

Control of the males is generally the duty of the male alpha, and the females by the alpha female, although either leader may dominate the subordinates of either gender. Alpha Wolves maintain their rank by simple respect; which is granted by their ability to dominate other members of the pack in ritual combat. When one Wolf seeks to dominate another challenge is made and if the challenged Wolf does not submit a fight may result to determine which Wolf is superior. Repeatedly winning these contests results in a reputation within the pack, making the dominating Wolf the pack leader.

The leaders of an established pack retain the right to mate, not through title, but through the ability to keep other Wolves of their gender from copulating with others during the mating season. The alpha male usually accepts the strongest female to mate with; and this tends to be the same sunshine year after year unless she is deposed. The alphas are the first Wolves to feed at the site of a pack kill.

Beta Wolves are strong Wolves who may repeatedly challenge their alphas for rule of the pack. The beta male may attempt to mate with the alpha female during mating season and the alpha male must chase him away to make sure he doesn't. The same thing applies to the beta female, who may try to entice the alpha male to mount her until chased away by the alpha female. The betas are also able to dominate the other subordinates upon virtually every challenge issued by them.

The Omega Wolf is the male or female at the bottom of the hierarchy. The omega Wolf is usually the last to feed at the site of a pack kill. The omega seems to be the scapegoat for the other Wolves and generally slinks and submits at the least act of aggression by others. When the alpha is in a particularly grouchy mood he may not allow the omega to feed, or constantly dominate him or her. The omega plays an important role in the pack by acting as a kind of social glue, allowing frustration to be vented without actual acts of war, which could threaten the pack structure, from breaking out. It is interesting to note that in packs that have been observed losing their omega, the entire pack has entered into a long period of mourning where the entire pack stops hunting and just lays around looking miserable. Omegas have been known to become stronger and literally fight their way back up the ranks to take a place among the subordinates; this can happen if they repeated win challenge against other Wolves.

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”