Describing. Good or Bad?

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, paperpaws, Frodo1

What do you think?

Yes, it's good to know who's who.
46%
No, it's really annoying
18%
I'm not sure
36%

Total votes: 28

silvywolfy
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Location: At the Slendy donation center. WHY YOU PEOPLE STEAL HIS PAPERS. WHY.

Describing. Good or Bad?

Post by silvywolfy » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:55 pm

Hey, I just thought of a weird question. Is describing good or bad? Because it is really annoying having to say about 20 words and then the person your describing to leaves. And you have to wait until everyone finishes until you can RP again. And feel you have to remember everything they say- when all you have to remember is their name.
- MOVING ACCOUNTS IN A DAY OR TWO -

New account will be: Silvy_Courage

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: Describing. Good or Bad?

Post by Koa » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:00 pm

Most people from what I've witnessed tend to include their gender + that they are looking for a mate with whatever replacement word is avaliable at the time. That's when it is bad. Otherwise, it can probably be annoying but isn't too big of a deal until people start abusing it. ^_-
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

silvywolfy
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Location: At the Slendy donation center. WHY YOU PEOPLE STEAL HIS PAPERS. WHY.

Post by silvywolfy » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:02 pm

Koa wrote:Most people from what I've witnessed tend to include their gender + that they are looking for a mate with whatever replacement word is avaliable at the time. That's when it is bad. Otherwise, it can probably be annoying but isn't too big of a deal until people start abusing it. ^_-
My thoughts exactly! Good way to explain what i think for me Koa! XD
- MOVING ACCOUNTS IN A DAY OR TWO -

New account will be: Silvy_Courage

Fern7
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Name: Matthew

Post by Fern7 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:13 pm

I'm on the fence. If I'm asked to describe, I'll do it, include name and sometimes appearance and a few character traits. Gender was also something I did, but usually at this point I don't include gender. If I'm not asked to describe, I'm fine with that because sometimes I change my character while roleplaying. When people go on describing powers and unrealistic appearances and their mate status, that just annoys me. Like I said, on the fence. It can be helpful to know names instead of calling everyone by their username, but when people go silly with it I don't like it.
⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱
Didn't you notice?

Undecided. Uninvited.
Screwing. Misbehaving.
Unacceptable, yet so right.
It's for the best.

Driving straight through America.
Let's watch the sun come up.
Somewhere over the rainbow

Siggie by FERN7

WolvesOfTheSeas
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by WolvesOfTheSeas » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:50 pm

I think describing is kinda bad because people be telling genders for looking for a mate and stuff. But when they are role playing i understand. So i'm really not sure.
Thanks Wolf Thief for the avvie! I love it! Ill be stalking you c:

STAY OUT MY MIRROR, STAY OUT OF MY WAY

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:59 pm

I'm not a fan of the idea, and I'd rather keep it at arm's length if possible and stay out of the loop; I've seen plenty of chats where describing goes beyond that pretty MP rules popup, which makes Koaness's points highly valid and agreeable. ^^
lol

[
XBL] • [PSN]
[
Switch SW-7220-7090-5161]

FireEyes65
Pup
Pup

Post by FireEyes65 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:25 pm

I think it's a good thing to do I mean if you don't want describe you don't have to but I think it's a good thing to tell every body about your wolf,personality,how your wolf looks,age,ect.So then if you do describe you have a better understanding on what and who you are Roll Playing with,and how to Roll Play with them. :)
...(¨*.¸´.¸Soul Mountain Clan¸.´¸.*¨)ϟFireEyes
.....Soul Mountain Pack:SilverSky,BlackFur
............Frozen Lake Pack:IceBlade
........Lightning Fire Field Pack:FireEyes
.....Dark Shadow Forest Pack:NightHunter
...Great Northern Winds Pack:HawkFeathers
.Avatars DO NOTbelong to me!We did edit them to look like our wolves though.

Edme1
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Edme1 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:20 pm

I'm 50-50 here. Yes, it is good to know who's who, but all I need is the name. Sometimes, people go overboard with descriptions like 'beautiful, shimmering sun-like golden fur' or 'black of the darkest shadows' and fill up the chatbox. Also, it is annoying when people list their mate status, and gender is not allowed and is only signified by the new words like led and alas.
Bustin' makes me feel good~

"Advance or a8scond!"

♋ ♈ ♉ ♊ ♌ ♍ ♎ ♏ ♐ ♑ ♒ ♓

http://blueranyk.deviantart.com/
Av from Homestuck

WolvesAndSpiders
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by WolvesAndSpiders » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:28 am

I agree with pretty much everyone on here. Describing is good when you want to know what someone's character looks like, personality, etc. Describing is annoying when people use it to say their gender, mate status, or something unrealistic. If they do say them, I usually just exit.
☽pills don't help, but it sure is funny☾
undercover-mcr-peach.tumblr.com
Icon © LupinzPack

roguemoon
Yearling
Yearling

Post by roguemoon » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:43 pm

I'm not totally against, or fully with describing. If you're role playing, I think it's good to the wolf's gender and maybe a bit of their personality and age. I don't mind if people like to include their wolfs name as well.
What I dislike is when people spend a half hour describing their wolf's appearance and every single detail, going on about their history and personality, powers, mate status, etc. Really, all you need to know is the very basic info. I hate when people go on and on.

What I really hate is when people type out long, drawn out posts to describe what their wolf is doing.
Example: 'Storm sat and wrapped her long, beautiful tail around her gray tinged haunches and raised her snow white paw then howled a beautiful song to the moon'.
That. I hate that.
In my opinion, posts like that aren't necessary. After all, you have controls and stuff. You don't need to describe what your wolf is doing because the other members can actually see what they are doing. I understand if they have to describe, say, getting injured or something. Something that they can't show themselves doing. But other than that...I really dislike long, drawn out posts.
If you want to write a novel for a post, join a pack in pack central maybe? At least, that's my opinion. I don't mean to sound rude or offensive.
"No matter where they are, the restless imagine being somewhere else."

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:28 pm

roguemoon wrote:I'm not totally against, or fully with describing. If you're role playing, I think it's good to the wolf's gender and maybe a bit of their personality and age. I don't mind if people like to include their wolfs name as well.
What I dislike is when people spend a half hour describing their wolf's appearance and every single detail, going on about their history and personality, powers, mate status, etc. Really, all you need to know is the very basic info. I hate when people go on and on.

What I really hate is when people type out long, drawn out posts to describe what their wolf is doing.
Example: 'Storm sat and wrapped her long, beautiful tail around her gray tinged haunches and raised her snow white paw then howled a beautiful song to the moon'.
That. I hate that.
In my opinion, posts like that aren't necessary. After all, you have controls and stuff. You don't need to describe what your wolf is doing because the other members can actually see what they are doing. I understand if they have to describe, say, getting injured or something. Something that they can't show themselves doing. But other than that...I really dislike long, drawn out posts.
If you want to write a novel for a post, join a pack in pack central maybe? At least, that's my opinion. I don't mean to sound rude or offensive.
Agreed, though the lexicon may not allow them to get that descriptive as it doesn't recognize all the words. (Suggest words here : http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2445 ) I can see why people would rather roleplay in-game though than just on a site, as they probably prefer being able to visually interact with their wolf rather than just write a post out-of-game and not be able to control their wolf.
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

HawkEyes22
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by HawkEyes22 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:00 am

Its ok i guess its good cause then you knows everything you need to know about the people your rping with.
...(¨*.¸´.¸Soul Mountain Clan¸.´¸.*¨)HawkEyes
.....Soul Mountain Pack:SilverSky,BlackFur
............Frozen Lake Pack:IceBlade
........Lightning Fire Field Pack:FireEyes
.....Dark Shadow Forest Pack:NightHunter
...Great Northern Winds Pack:HawkFeathers
.Avatars DO NOT belong to us!(the girls did everything.)

RabidLynx

Post by RabidLynx » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:24 am

I don't really mind it. Yes all I really need is the name, but I don't mind when someone writes out a long description of their wolf. And about genders and mates, I think it's bad when the person says "I'm dating *username* and we're gonna have pups!". But when it's in roleplay and the people don't actually love eachother, their characters do, that's fine with me. There has been times where my character has become mates with another wolf in roleplay, but I never actually loved the people I was roleplaying with.

_Denali_
Yearling
Yearling

Post by _Denali_ » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:21 pm

To be honest, I like knowing who's who to keep things organized, but being as describing has basically become a subtle way to start/participate in mate-related discussion, I say it's bad now.

Floofysaur
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: Fwoof

Post by Floofysaur » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:10 pm

I honestly don't mind repeating over and over again, especially if a user logs in and suddenly logs off. But for the most part, if others are fine with repeat(like me) I don't see it annoying or a problem during gameplay.
Besides, sometimes users take a while to 'describe' themselves in a way that is annoying and a little bit lack of memory for some.
(i.e: Fang, led, black fur, green eyes, strong, bold, wise and a fighter. strong at hunting and tends to fight.)
Anything like this is fine, but usually I see users who constantly add-on to their wolf. If someone says one thing then the other will say it to 'changing' their actual character. Now that gets annoying.
Roses are gray,
Violets are blue,
I am a dog

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”