WolfQuest Trends

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator

Re: WolfQuest Trends

Post by Alpha Female » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:28 pm

Haha, love the text-wolf. xD
I've noticed quite a lot of these trends. Another one I've noticed are that packs aren't as "wolf" based as they use to be. Most packs now have a theme or are based off a book/novel/game, and very few are just general wolf packs based in North America. I remember those use to be pretty popular, but they kind of died.
SOMETIMES
A KING
HAS TO REMIND
FOOLS WHY HE'S
K I N G

~WolfQuest member since 1969~

Edme1
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Edme1 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:44 pm

Alpha Female wrote:Haha, love the text-wolf. xD
I've noticed quite a lot of these trends. Another one I've noticed are that packs aren't as "wolf" based as they use to be. Most packs now have a theme or are based off a book/novel/game, and very few are just general wolf packs based in North America. I remember those use to be pretty popular, but they kind of died.
Ah, yes. Now, most games are teen, werewolf, vampire, etc. Either that, or wolves with wings and powers, or other animals such as horses, dogs, cats, etc.
Bustin' makes me feel good~

"Advance or a8scond!"

♋ ♈ ♉ ♊ ♌ ♍ ♎ ♏ ♐ ♑ ♒ ♓

http://blueranyk.deviantart.com/
Av from Homestuck

Nordue

Post by Nordue » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:05 pm

BlackWarrior wrote:A trend I have noticed for a while now, is people bolding or italicizing the name or username of people in their post.
  • Hehe, I love doing that! I used to italicize a lot of things: the titles of media, pack names, pack ranks and even topic titles on the forum, but that took so long to type! Now I just bold usernames and italicize media :P .

And I love the smilies! I personally am not a fan of typing out smilies with keys; the only ones I use are 'XD' and '^^'.

Hmm, another trend... a lot of PC pack roleplays are underdeveloped; they have no pre-planned plots beyond meeting each others characters. But thats not a very good trend, I'll try to think of a better one!

Oh! For a time, it was trendy to say in your location space "In yo x, ying yo z" or something along those lines.

Edme1
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Edme1 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:10 pm

Tonbei wrote:
BlackWarrior wrote:A trend I have noticed for a while now, is people bolding or italicizing the name or username of people in their post.
  • Hehe, I love doing that! I used to italicize a lot of things: the titles of media, pack names, pack ranks and even topic titles on the forum, but that took so long to type! Now I just bold usernames and italicize media :P .

And I love the smilies! I personally am not a fan of typing out smilies with keys; the only ones I use are 'XD' and '^^'.

Hmm, another trend... a lot of PC pack roleplays are underdeveloped; they have no pre-planned plots beyond meeting each others characters. But thats not a very good trend, I'll try to think of a better one!

Oh! For a time, it was trendy to say in your location space "In yo x, ying yo z" or something along those lines.

I have fallen victim to the 'in yo, -ing yo' location thing. ;-; I have noticed that lots of people don't use proper grammar these days. Makes me sad.

"Advance or a8scond!"

♋ ♈ ♉ ♊ ♌ ♍ ♎ ♏ ♐ ♑ ♒ ♓

Av from Homestuck

Nordue

Post by Nordue » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:08 pm

• Some people would do that with proper grammar, I'd assume. Besides, bad grammar is fun in some cases. I only get truly particular about grammar in UW and in roleplay, when a reader's experience can be jeopardized. I'm more tolerant in normal posts, but overall I do appreciate solid grammar and decent spelling. WQ really needs a spell checker!

A more recent trend would be to put which country you are supporting in the 2012 Olympics in your signature! I may come across as a bit bold for saying this, but I think I was the first to do so on WQ. Maybe.

Other sig trends I noticed were whether or not one supports 'the Alliance', and text gradients. By the way, what even is the Alliance people speak of? I never understood :P.

Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Alpha Female » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:23 pm

The alliance is the alliance. That is all. ;3

I've noticed the alliance is coming back a bit, but it was more common a while ago. xD
SOMETIMES
A KING
HAS TO REMIND
FOOLS WHY HE'S
K I N G

~WolfQuest member since 1969~

Edme1
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Edme1 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:44 pm

Alpha Female wrote:The alliance is the alliance. That is all. ;3

I've noticed the alliance is coming back a bit, but it was more common a while ago. xD
xD The alliance. I never have enough sig characters for it. Also, I have recently seen people in UW posting more stories than poems. It's always nice to see a good poem once in a while. Maybe I should sometime. :p

"Advance or a8scond!"

♋ ♈ ♉ ♊ ♌ ♍ ♎ ♏ ♐ ♑ ♒ ♓

Av from Homestuck

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Rowan

Post by valkea » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:58 pm

Oh the alliance. Never really cared about that.. thing. Still don't understand how it came about, or why it's coming back.

I haven't really noticed many trends on WQ, really. I've definitely noticed signatures getting fancier and fancier - back in 2008/early 2009 maybe signatures were really simple, with maybe one or two colours and no special characters. Now, almost everyone's signature has a gradient(not that I'm complaining, I love gradients) and 6,475 special characters. The special characters are really the only problem with signatures now - not everyone can see them, and when people actually write with them, the signature is very hard to read unless it's done really well.

And of course, there's the whole thing of putting usernames and such in bold or italics, and sometimes green for moderators. Honestly not a huge fan of it, it seems a bit pointless to me and it doesn't even look good with some people's posting colours. I suppose some people may like that it makes the names stand out, but in many cases it just looks, well, bad in my opinion.
má shínim seal uaire faoi chrann a dhéanamh só
o cad é sin don te sin nach mbaineann sin dó?

Nordue

Post by Nordue » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:27 pm

• Oh wow. No wonder every time I looked up 'the Alliance' I could never find anything relevant :lol: .

As for coloring usernames with colors, I have recently strated doing that when addressing the moderators, although only to attract thier attention to something important that couuld otherwise be missed. It's almost like a command signal XD. I actually agree with you Hidden Phoenix that that paticular addition looks unattractive, but so far it has proven to get the job done for me.

As for stories vs. poems, it tends to fluctuate I think. I am noticing a lot of short stories emerging, but that could also just be a short-term observation. It's hard to say for me; I don't read a lot of topics.

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Post by BlackWarrior » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:23 am

Tonbei wrote:
  • Oh wow. No wonder every time I looked up 'the Alliance' I could never find anything relevant :lol: .

As for coloring usernames with colors, I have recently strated doing that when addressing the moderators, although only to attract thier attention to something important that couuld otherwise be missed. It's almost like a command signal XD. I actually agree with you Hidden Phoenix that that paticular addition looks unattractive, but so far it has proven to get the job done for me.

As for stories vs. poems, it tends to fluctuate I think. I am noticing a lot of short stories emerging, but that could also just be a short-term observation. It's hard to say for me; I don't read a lot of topics.
Going to be honest, I've never really understood the Alliance.. and i am still slightly unaware of the true reason for it. c;

I generally only do bold or italicized writing for names, especially seeing that white goes with pretty much any color of text. Haha, and so true Tonbei. xD As long as it gets the job done, why not?

I have posted a few stories in my day, but I try to stick to poems because you can't entirely let down the readers by not posting the next chapter. ^^" Also the fact that there really aren't many poems seen in UW, and sometimes it's good to throw in a simple poem.

Another trend I have noticed is people "list"ing their text. It was popular for a while there, and has sort of resurfaced. :P
Not all who w a n d e r are l o s t

Community Moderator ( April 2012 – July 2015 )
WQ Report Team ( 2012 – 2013 )
User of the Month ( December 2011 )

Nordue

Post by Nordue » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:33 pm

• Ha, good one BlackWarrior! As soon as I discovered the 'blockquote' feature on a Proboards roleplay site, I was hooked. The closest I can get to that here is list. Although blockquote is still the nicer looking of the two :wink: .

But thats interesting that list was commonly used before by other users on these forums. I didn't know that!

I guess you could say resizing your text for the smaller is also a popular choice.

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Post by BlackWarrior » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:20 pm

Yes, I saw many users using "list" as their common text option, and also, as you said, resizing the text to a more smaller size is a popular choice. ^^

I used to color and italicize my text, and I remember a few other users doing that in the past. Such as this sentence. Haha

Now when I do that, I just find it harder to read.. :P

Hmm, another trend I have noticed, on MP, was players always making pitch black or pure white coat colors. I especially noticed this when I first started playing Multiplayer. Yes, you would see the occasional brown or gray wolf; but generally all players in a chat would be black or white.
Not all who w a n d e r are l o s t

Community Moderator ( April 2012 – July 2015 )
WQ Report Team ( 2012 – 2013 )
User of the Month ( December 2011 )

Edme1
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Edme1 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:34 am

BlackWarrior wrote:
Hmm, another trend I have noticed, on MP, was players always making pitch black or pure white coat colors. I especially noticed this when I first started playing Multiplayer. Yes, you would see the occasional brown or gray wolf; but generally all players in a chat would be black or white.
Ah, yes. I have seen that too. It's usually pitch dark wolves or white wolves with special markings. xD Another thing I have seen is that, it seems to me, more people are using smilies rather than disabling them. I know I tried disabling smilies once, but then I figured out that you would have to do that every time you made a post, so I gave up. :p

"Advance or a8scond!"

♋ ♈ ♉ ♊ ♌ ♍ ♎ ♏ ♐ ♑ ♒ ♓

Av from Homestuck

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Rowan

Post by valkea » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:49 am

Edme1 wrote:I know I tried disabling smilies once, but then I figured out that you would have to do that every time you made a post, so I gave up. :p
There's actually an option in the User Control Panel to switch disabled smilies to default. If you go to Board Preferences, then to Edit posting defaults, you should see an option called "Enable smilies by default". Click "no", save, and enjoy never posting smilies again =D

I've noticed people using list more often too, I've actually considered doing it as I love the previously-mentioned blockquote on Proboards, and list is quite close to it(though I agree blockquote is nicer). I'd never be able to remember it though, I have enough difficulty remembering my font colour XD
má shínim seal uaire faoi chrann a dhéanamh só
o cad é sin don te sin nach mbaineann sin dó?

Miku Hatsune
Pup
Pup

Post by Miku Hatsune » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:45 am

• PONIES.

Ponies everywhere. Even I'm doing it. I honestly don't know my intentions for it (although the show is pretty cute <3) but it looks nice... and everybody likes a prancing pony named Pinkie Pie.

Besides that, most everybody else said the trends I noticed... Ninjas.
ι тσσк α киιfє αи∂ ¢υт συт нєя єує
ι тσσк ιт нσмє αи∂ ωαт¢нє∂ ιт
ωιтнєя αи∂ ∂ιє
ѕнє'ѕ ℓυ¢ку тнαт ι ∂ι∂и'т ѕℓιρ нєя α ѕмιℓє
иσw ѕнє ѕℓєєρѕ ωιтн єує σρєи
тнαтѕ тнє ρяι¢є ѕнє ραι∂...
icon by jewelz

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”