WolfQuest Trends

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Re: WolfQuest Trends

Post by paperpaws » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:45 am

Ah, the alliance... That was pretty much an inside joke between a group of older members. I'll never understand how it's finding their way back because most of the original people that shared the joke left the forums... That, and our Alliance Skype chat is long gone. ;p

One of the more recent trends I've noticed is people using more fancy characters and gradients in their signatures, or using the list function in their post (as Hidden stated).

Haha Sintact, the whole H.O.W.L thing sure brings back memories!

alethe
Name: [REDACTED]

Post by alethe » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:46 am

I remember the H.O.W.L thing and the little text sig wolves. I also remember the "alliance." Could anyone tell me what that was about?

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
ARE YOU A JEDI ?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

av/sig : fidd/lupe

Nordue

Post by Nordue » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:34 am

BlackWarrior wrote:I used to color and italicize my text, and I remember a few other users doing that in the past. Such as this sentence. Haha

Now when I do that, I just find it harder to read.. :P
  • ...I'd have to agree with you there BlackWarrior ^^'!

From what I have gleaned from this topic river6, the Alliance was simply an inside group made by certain users on this forum. That's all it is; it's mysteriousness to outside users is what makes it so intriguing to you and I :wink: .

Le gasp... why would anyone ever wish to disable smilies :o :shock: ! But I joke; I understand everyone has different prefrences for how the forum should look.

Haha, Help Our Wolves Live. Not sure how a signature actively helps, but I suppose it's the thought/intention that counts. What was the H.O.W.L thing really about here on WQ anyway?

Umm, trends... having your avatar represent either your character as an animal (usually a wolf) or your current favourite pack character. Was that already said XD?

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Rowan

Post by valkea » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:43 pm

I personally hate the smilies here, as I hate smilies on nearly every site(DA is the only one with good smilies that comes to mind). Plus, they get annoying if you type :P or something and it turns into a smilie. I actually don't use any of the text "faces" that turn into smilies on WQ, but I have them disabled so if I quote someone who also doesn't like them, they don't have to look at them if they happen to use :P or something.

The H.O.W.L. thing was about people being obsessed with wolves and wanting to show it, I guess. It was pretty useless, but, as you said, it's the thought that counts. WQ is a forum/game about wolves so I'm not surprised that a lot of people had it in their signatures.

I've also seen a lot of avatars of people's favourite movie or TV characters(all the MLP avatars come to mind, as well as Adalae's avatar of the Doctor which is amazing <3). Bit of a nice change from all the wolves. It actually kind of annoys me to see everyone with a wolf avatar. Wolves aren't the only animals in the world. I suppose there's no helping it though.
má shínim seal uaire faoi chrann a dhéanamh só
o cad é sin don te sin nach mbaineann sin dó?

Nordue

Post by Nordue » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:57 pm

• Yeah, WQ without any wolf avvies would be wierd for sure!

A trend I wish existed for users was keeping thier avatars the same, and never changing them. Not really counting inactive users though :P . A hard one to keep for sure, but I think it's really cool when someone does that.

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by valkea » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:03 pm

I usually keep mine for a long time. I actually only have two that I wear, I usually switch between them every so often. I don't even know how long I've been wearing my current one, must be a few months or something like that. I'm not an artist so I can quite speak for them, but I'm sure people would love it if their avatars were used for longer than the required amount of time. I see so many people that switch avatars at least once a week, it's a good thing I can usually tell who the message is from by the font colour or style instead of avatars.

Speaking of font colours, people seem to change those around quite a bit as well. I don't know how they do that, honestly. It took me forever to memorise the code for this one, since it's not one of the choices on WQ
unlike my old one, which isn't too far off from my current XD Blueee

Nordue

Post by Nordue » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:13 pm

• Same. And I've noticed that about you^^! As an artist, it also pains me to see people quickly changing from avatar to avatar, leaving beautifal creations to essentially rot. People with avatar shops should allow users to recycle thier avatars if both conesnt to it!
    ...I should look into that.

I almost missed the change there Hidden Phoenix! I too enjoyed using hex codes that aren't from the default selection. That is, until people started using similar colors to me and whatnot. So I chose to stick to white for normal posting :| . It's almost subconsciously done in protest to the potential unoriginality that colors hold, as paradoxial as that sounds. But hey, I shouldn't talk; no one can own a hex color in the first place! /rant

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:14 pm

I change my avatar to a Kelly Clarkson one every now and then... itching to change it but my sister is (still) in possession of the camera and won't let me borrow it to upload all of the amazing pictures onto my computer. x:

I used to use a font color but I don't anymore. I may pick up that trend and return to my former color, if I can find it that is.

Nevermind, found it. :mrgreen:

Nordue

Post by Nordue » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:33 pm

• Ha, that Kelly Clarkson thing is practically a one-man WQ trend for you Koa!

It would be crazy if you started to use a color again... I have only ever seen you use no color!

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by valkea » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:37 pm

Not a fan of the WQ colour choices nowadays - they just aren't unique since so many people use them. Most of them aren't that pretty in my opinion anyway.. XD

Lets see, what other trends have there been? Mm, anyone remember EVERY DISCUSSION THREAD being called <insert thing here> - General Discussion? I don't see it much any more, thankfully. Seemed a bit pointless since these threads would be in the discussion areas of the forum, not sure why people had to "label" them as General Discussion, or Discussion.

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:42 pm

Tonbei wrote:
  • Ha, that Kelly Clarkson thing is practically a one-man WQ trend for you Koa!

It would be crazy if you started to use a color again... I have only ever seen you use no color!
If only you knew. ;p

I'd use color only if I made the font size/it's general format to my liking. Don't feel like wasting my time to deal with it at the moment.
Hidden Phoenix wrote:Not a fan of the WQ colour choices nowadays - they just aren't unique since so many people use them. Most of them aren't that pretty in my opinion anyway.. XD

Lets see, what other trends have there been? Mm, anyone remember EVERY DISCUSSION THREAD being called <insert thing here> - General Discussion? I don't see it much any more, thankfully. Seemed a bit pointless since these threads would be in the discussion areas of the forum, not sure why people had to "label" them as General Discussion, or Discussion.

Ooooh, or what about the "Rate the _____" that were so popular years ago and kept popping up? :mrgreen:

Nordue

Post by Nordue » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:46 pm

• Oh yeah, GDs! I think people like myself used them to try and promote healthy paragraph responses. For some, its not a natural thing XD.

I tend to stay away from Rate the ___'s now, only because the amount of personal bias in them is overwhelming sometimes. And you are tempted to keep posting there over and over :P .

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by valkea » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:48 pm

So many Rate the Whatever threads~ Also can't forget the "How to Get Kicked Out of ____" threads. Was a very short-lived trend, but there were still quite a few of those.
Back to the Rate the Whatever threads, those seem so pointless. No one seems to give ratings above like, six.

Nordue

Post by Nordue » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:01 pm

• But they will give a ten on Rate the Avatar Above You! if they think it's a perfect representation of a wolf with lots of colors and shading. No one has the gall to give a real rating, and at the same time a lot of people can become offended, so it's not worth it.

On that note, giving real crituque on UA & UW is something that has definitely fallen out of favour here, for the reasons stated above. It's hard to know what people really want to hear, and if they are mature enough to hear what they don't want to hear.
Last edited by Nordue on Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Alpha Female » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:47 pm

Tonbei wrote:
  • But they will give a ten on Rate the Avatar Above You! if they think it's a perfect representation of a wolf with lots of colors and shading. No one has the balls to give a real rating, and at the same time a lot of people can become offended, so it's not worth it.

On that note, giving real crituque on UA & UW is something that has definitely fallen out of favour here, for the reasons stated above. It's hard to know what people really want to hear, and if they are mature enough to hear what they don't want to hear.
Please remember that this is a family-friendly forum Tonbei, so please be careful with using references like the one you used above. Thanks!
SOMETIMES
A KING
HAS TO REMIND
FOOLS WHY HE'S
K I N G

~WolfQuest member since 1969~

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”