opinions on realistic/unrealistic rp

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

Pelican
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Space

Re: opinions on realistic/unrealistic rp

Post by Pelican » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:42 pm

Derp-Bacon wrote:
Pelican wrote:
Derp-Bacon wrote:Killing a thousand bobs? That happened. I was like, "Um, what?"

Yeah and sometimes I rp fantasy but in a realistic way, dunno how to explain it.

And, Some words that describe my rp (and my friends' rp)

- Complex (VERY complex. If me and my friends rp was all packed into one book or show or something it would be so complex that it would be harder to keep track of it.)
- Dramatic
- Action packed
- Random
- Epic (this ones more of an opinion but whatever)
- Fantasy overload, but it can still be slightly realistic sometimes
I keep my RPs both realistic and unrealistic. Like, say, 50% realistic, 50% unrealistic, whatever. That way, people that like both kinds can play on my RPs with whatever they want. It's their decision.
eh... Im fine with someone rping realistically but not when it forces the others rp to be realistic or when theyre all, "You gotta be realistic even though this is a fantasy rp!" that really gets on my nerves. But I prefer fantasy

alethe
Name: [REDACTED]

Post by alethe » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:27 pm

You must have some realism in fantasy though. Without it your rp will be full of mary sues. Honestly, having a fantasy wolf character with wings and horns and fire breathing and shapeshifting AND incredible strength and speed is so far fetched it isn't fantasy anymore, its crossed to looney-ville. So I honestly think there should be more realistic limits to fantasy rp. Take our wof mary sue for instance. You could boil it down to a winged wolf and still have a fantasy character without making it over powered. Its more realistic than having some big powerful whatever that was, but still fantasy.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
ARE YOU A JEDI ?

av/sig : fidd/lupe

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:33 pm

river6, I think you mean what is more practical/balanced as opposed to the term "realistic." Something with wings that is not supposed to have wings is not realistic in no way, shape, or form; the practicality of it or its balance depends upon the nature of the character itself and its traits. (-:

Pelican
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Pelican » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:58 am

To river6: Not all characters with powers are overpowered, and not all fantasy characters are mary sues.

alethe

Post by alethe » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:16 pm

You missed the point of my post. If you don't set limits, you will get mary sues.

ARE YOU A JEDI ?

Pelican
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Pelican » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:23 pm

I didn't "miss the point" of your post. And my rp does have limits. I also think that the characters personality is way more important than what it looks like, what powers it has etc. Because the personality is a more major part of determining whether its perfect or imperfect. And take my friends character for example, she has many powers and is very unrealistic, but she's not a mary sue and is a good character.

alethe

Post by alethe » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:30 pm

I believe you did. In any case, its my opinion. You posted a thread. I gave an opinion. Its that simple. I don't care about your character. I'm relating from my experiences with this and other sites. My description of a "mary sue" is also different from your definition. That's fine. I didn't want to start an argument with you about this.

ARE YOU A JEDI ?

Pelican
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Pelican » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:35 pm

river6 wrote:I believe you did. In any case, its my opinion. You posted a thread. I gave an opinion. Its that simple. I don't care about your character. I'm relating from my experiences with this and other sites. My description of a "mary sue" is also different from your definition. That's fine. I didn't want to start an argument with you about this.

I said it was my friends character not mine :/ but whatever

And I get that you gave an opinion but I was trying to make a point.

1BitJay
Name: Jay

Post by 1BitJay » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:48 am

In terms of rping, it depends on the situation or the plot. I prefer boundaries on realistic roleplay, such as no neon coloring for a coat excessive accessories. It makes it seem more fun, but also gives room for someone to express themselves in their character. But, for fantasy roleplay, the sky is the limit.
I ᗯOᑌᒪᗪ ᔕᗩY TᕼᗩT ᗰᑌᔕIᑕ Iᔕ TᕼE EᗩᔕIEᔕT ᗰEᗩᑎᔕ
Iᑎ ᗯᕼIᑕᕼ TO E᙭ᑭᖇEᔕᔕ, ᗷᑌT ᔕIᑎᑕE ᗯOᖇᗪᔕ ᗩᖇE ᗰY
TᗩᒪEᑎT,
I ᗰᑌᔕT TᖇY TO E᙭ᑭᖇEᔕᔕ ᑕᒪᑌᗰᔕIᒪY Iᑎ
ᗯOᖇᗪᔕ
ᗯᕼᗩT TᕼE ᑭᑌᖇE ᗰᑌᔕIᑕ ᗯOᑌᒪᗪ ᕼᗩᐯE ᗪOᑎE ᗷETTEᖇ.

αν;; i forgot </3 ѕιg;; мє
1BitJay

Pelican
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Pelican » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:17 pm

the sky is the limit

but there are footprints on the moon

i'm sorry, i couldn't resist

psy
Former WQ Moderator
Name: Jay

Post by psy » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:37 pm

JayMist wrote:In terms of rping, it depends on the situation or the plot. I prefer boundaries on realistic roleplay, such as no neon coloring for a coat excessive accessories. It makes it seem more fun, but also gives room for someone to express themselves in their character. But, for fantasy roleplay, the sky is the limit.
Yeah, that is 100% true!

SOMETIMES YOU GOTTA CLOSE THE DOOR
TO OPEN A WINDOW

Pelican
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Pelican » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:20 am

Derp-Bacon wrote:
JayMist wrote:In terms of rping, it depends on the situation or the plot. I prefer boundaries on realistic roleplay, such as no neon coloring for a coat excessive accessories. It makes it seem more fun, but also gives room for someone to express themselves in their character. But, for fantasy roleplay, the sky is the limit.
Yeah, that is 100% true!

I say the moon is the limit. (see my last post on this thread)

Bloodstar
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Bloodstar » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:43 am

From past experience, I prefer realism over fantasy when it comes to roleplaying. Aside from WQ being game that is supposed to realistically portray wolves in their natural habitat, enabling unrealistic components could spawn Mary Sues. It also opens doors to powerplaying/godmoding. I've seen it happen a million times.
river6 wrote:You must have some realism in fantasy though. Without it your rp will be full of mary sues. Honestly, having a fantasy wolf character with wings and horns and fire breathing and shapeshifting AND incredible strength and speed is so far fetched it isn't fantasy anymore, its crossed to looney-ville. So I honestly think there should be more realistic limits to fantasy rp. Take our wof mary sue for instance. You could boil it down to a winged wolf and still have a fantasy character without making it over powered. Its more realistic than having some big powerful whatever that was, but still fantasy.
I agree with this post. I'm okay with fantasy RP if there is moderation in how powerful each person's characters are. I guess you could say I prefer strict realism, and if not, then a balanced fantasy (as long as it doesn't get out of hand.)

Pelican
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Pelican » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:54 am

[quote="Bloodstar"] enabling unrealistic components could spawn Mary Sues.[ /quote]

that's like saying just because a book's genre is fantasy means everyone in the book will always be a mary sue or gary stu. and if youre really careful you can have not so strict limits on powerfulness and still not be a mary sue. (my friends character has lots of powers and stuff and isn't a mary sue at all so yes i speak from personal experience)

alethe

Post by alethe » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:51 am

That's not what I was saying but you seem to not understand my wording or something. ?

Here's a link to tell if a character is a mary sue. http://www.deviantart.com/art/Mary-Sue- ... ll-5470853
I don't feel like every character with powers is one, but if they have tons of powers then yeah, sounds like a sue to me. Maybe explain the character to me?

ARE YOU A JEDI ?

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”