opinions on realistic/unrealistic rp

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

Pelican
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Space

Re: opinions on realistic/unrealistic rp

Post by Pelican » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:50 am

river6 wrote:That's not what I was saying but you seem to not understand my wording or something. ?

Here's a link to tell if a character is a mary sue. http://www.deviantart.com/art/Mary-Sue- ... ll-5470853
I don't feel like every character with powers is one, but if they have tons of powers then yeah, sounds like a sue to me. Maybe explain the character to me?

I was talking to Bloodstar, not you. And it's not powers that makes someone a mary-sue, it's their personality. Plus it depends on what the powers are. And I'm not gonna judge who's a mary-sue and who's not by some dA thing. A mary-sue is a character with no flaws and if they do, it doesn't affect the story at all or something like that, they often make the story predictable, boring, and cliched. Nikki from Dog with a Blog could be an example of one.

My friends character has flaws that do affect the storyline of the roleplay. I've seen the character's bio, and I've roleplayed with her a bunch of times.

Chumpkins_
Name:

Post by Chumpkins_ » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:46 pm

A mary sue is a character with no flaws, just perfect. It does matter what powers they have. I think rp should have a restriction on how much power on can have, or else mary sues are everywhere. I character with no flaws is just, boring.
_-:¡!*"*!¡:-_
_-:¡!*"Warden"*!¡:-_
. . . . . . . . . . . . .
In war, victory
In peace, vigilance
In death, sacrifice
. . . . . . . . . . . . .

av/sig: alethe

shadowmoon1234
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by shadowmoon1234 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:56 pm

yeah... i do a bit of the same thing... mine isnt really a power sort of thing its more of a decoration. like a glass clock eye and some neon colored fur... but those are in the power rps which i dont find very entertaining. But yeah i understand what your saying and i feel the same way. i was in an rp once and someone said... AND I QUOTE TO THE EXACT PRINT "UNsheaths blade claws, filled with poison. my dragon wings flash out and shine under the moon. i snarl, but it is as loud as a lions roar". my reaction when the post was sent: wait.... erm....... wait, NOOOOO! :evil:
i'm a "shut up; sit down."

Ryu The Wolf
Pup
Pup

Post by Ryu The Wolf » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:10 pm

Well.. I have a few thoughts on this.
First off, I'm guilty in partaking in the human powers rp, I can't help but enjoy them.

Anyways.
I'm not incredibly picky on realism or unrealistic characters, I usually don't mind what people are. I don't mind if people have pink fur, or red eyes, it's something that doesn't bother me.
However.
If I see someone coming in with a character that's as large as a dragon that can kill everything with its touch and be immune to all attacks.
NOPE.
That's where I draw the line.
So yeah.
"This world is cruel..
But also, very beautiful."

-Mikasa.

((Credit to SheltieWolf on DA for avatar.))

Pelican
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Pelican » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:01 pm

Ryu The Wolf wrote:
Well.. I have a few thoughts on this.
First off, I'm guilty in partaking in the human powers rp, I can't help but enjoy them.

Anyways.
I'm not incredibly picky on realism or unrealistic characters, I usually don't mind what people are. I don't mind if people have pink fur, or red eyes, it's something that doesn't bother me.
However.
If I see someone coming in with a character that's as large as a dragon that can kill everything with its touch and be immune to all attacks.
NOPE.
That's where I draw the line.
So yeah.

Oh my wolf, if that happened I would probably rage. But if someone is like (random example that I've never seen happen) a large wolf with spikes down their back, a scarf around their neck, wings, unrealistic colors, *and* powers, I wouldn't really mind if they weren't like a mary sue, one hit killer, or godmodder.

Windstrider
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Wind

Post by Windstrider » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:23 pm

I prefer mostly realistic, but maybe with some extra stuff added. But when powerplay, mini-modding, very unrealistic characters, or extreme randomness get involved, I don't do rp with things like that. So mainly realistic but with a few added twists or something is fine with me.
"The strength and the fellowship of the clan will always be with you, even when you hunt alone." - Warriors

==================================================

Good vibes

Ryu The Wolf
Pup
Pup

Post by Ryu The Wolf » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:36 pm

Honestly, stuff like that doesn't bother me, I don't mind if they look.. Odd, or have strange powers or whatever. Like, cool bro, you go do that.
Though it more bothers me when you have the people with ridiculous characters, who are like, "runs after ___ leaps on and kills with one bite since my bite is of poison and my strength is great."
I've had that happen to me by a few people, I eventually just go, "Nope, that's powerplaying, rp right, please." And I don't acknowledge their rp post that includes it.

So yeah.
I'm completely fine with unrealistic characters, but when someone starts godmodding..
Be fortunate my fist can't reach you through a computer screen.
"This world is cruel..
But also, very beautiful."

-Mikasa.

((Credit to SheltieWolf on DA for avatar.))

Pelican
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Pelican » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:40 pm

Ryu The Wolf wrote:
H

I'm completely fine with unrealistic characters, but when someone starts godmodding..

Lol I so agree with that.

psy
Former WQ Moderator
Name: Jay

Post by psy » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:37 pm

Ryu The Wolf wrote:
Godmodders ruin the roleplays, eh?

SOMETIMES YOU GOTTA CLOSE THE DOOR
TO OPEN A WINDOW

Windstrider
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Wind

Post by Windstrider » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:15 pm

SilverFang2014 wrote:A mary sue is a character with no flaws, just perfect. It does matter what powers they have. I think rp should have a restriction on how much power on can have, or else mary sues are everywhere. I character with no flaws is just, boring.
Agreed. No one is perfect.
"The strength and the fellowship of the clan will always be with you, even when you hunt alone." - Warriors

==================================================

Good vibes

The Traveler -
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by The Traveler - » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:22 am

I care more about the skill and maturity of people in a roleplay. I don't want to roleplay with immature or rude people, or people who don't add anything interesting to the roleplay.

That said, I do prefer realistic roleplaying. I love it when users only use description and body language; it's so much more challenging, in a good way, and there are fewer Mary Sues.

Most people prefer talking wolves though, so if that's what they want to do I go along with it.

Occasionally, I'll enjoy a fantasy roleplay, but rarely.

Wake me up when it's all over
When I'm wiser and I'm older

Glacia2008
Pup
Pup
Name: Glacia

Post by Glacia2008 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:35 am

In realistic rp, I'm fine with the wolves talking. Just as long as there's no unrealistic things like picking a flower to put on your head (since when do wolves pick a flower and wear it?). And of course, there's the people who wine non-stop about "I'm so lonely, I need a meat, I have no meat, blah blah blah".
Or when the rp becomes boring and undescriptive, or no one is making much effort to roleplay.

"You are not your own," says the Bear King, "you were bought at a price."
-Darkwoods by Marta Stahlfeld

Scarlet Kilometers
Pup
Pup

Post by Scarlet Kilometers » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:01 pm

My preference would be mostly-realistic, adjacent to Watership Down on the scale of animal anthropomorphism (The animals have language, complex emotions, and oral tradition, but ultimately behave as real wild animals would)

That said, I don't mind more outrageous fantasy rps, so long as no power-playing or godmodding occurs. Also as long as the fantasy crowd doesn't enter clearly-labeled realistic rps and then whine about their shapeshifting, purple-eyed dragonsona got banned, and the Hyper-realistic rpers don't crash in on somebody's magic/human/werewoof au just to grump about it being unrealistic.

Basically, you do you. Just don't make your personal pet peeves about other people's scenarios become everyone else's problem, and try not to make the preferences of other people become your problem either.
you can see me, right. tell me what is wrong with this picture.
--John Egbert

Celestial-Howl
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Alicia

Post by Celestial-Howl » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:29 am

I don't usually RP much, most of my time spent on WolfQuest 2.7 now is mostly pup raising, hunting, catching troublemakers, and just chatting it up with other players. I like meeting new people on there and I love finding others with similar interests. I used to RP more often back in 2.5, and I join those games on occasion. I am familiar with all the RP terms, even the outdated filter ones.

I usually stick to realistic roleplays though, but when I catch people using Greek rank terms I usually cut them some slack. But I will sometimes call them out on it only to be "proven wrong" by a bunch of "wolf scientists" who say "They actually do have ranks" and a bunch of other things I've heard before. Most of them have never even observed a wild wolf pack in real life.

But the roleplays I actually DESPISE are the over the top RPs or the non-wolf RPs. I cannot stand them, things like super-wolves, unrealistic pelts and markings, jewelry and shaman-like rituals, those elements make me cringe when I see them. I don't even bother with them, as soon as I catch a whiff of that kind of roleplay I skedaddle on out of there.

I'm mostly siding with the realistic roleplays on this, unrealistic ones can be fun, but there are many other places besides WolfQuest where that can be done.
~ σиℓу тωσ кιи∂ѕ σf ρєσρℓє єχιѕт ιи тнιѕ ωσяℓ∂, тнσѕє ωнσ ѕтєαℓ, αи∂ тнσѕє ωнσ αяє ѕтσℓєи fяσм. ~

SamueWolfSword
Pup
Pup
Name: Samue

Post by SamueWolfSword » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:39 am

(Sorry if I: Get a bit off-topic, this is too long, or this is hard to read)

I am fine with realistic and unrealistic roleplays, yet I only remember roleplaying in a realistic roleplay once.
I tend to not like being bossed around and like to be alone sometimes, so certain pack roleplays might not be so great with me.
WolfQuest is the only thing I use to roleplay.

My thoughts on human roleplays: Sometimes when I see a roleplay that says it`s a human roleplay a voice in my mind thinks, "Eww, I don`t want to be a human!" But I have hosted werewolf roleplays, school roleplays, and even chose to be a human in a roleplay that I hosted.

My thoughts on unrealistic roleplays: I usually roleplay unrealistically. I have hosted roleplays where you have powers- "PowerRp".
I have characters that have: Neon/pastel colors, sheathable blades on their body, powers, come from another planet (although I don`t say so or vaguely say so in the description), flaws/qualities, stories/backstories, friends/family etc..

Tips for roleplaying: To avoid over-powered attacks/defends, try using a randomizer (like the one on random.org) to randomize how good the attack/defend is and take turns attacking/defending.

This is my first post on the WolfQuest forums!

Edit: I think I have gotten over thinking "Eww..." about the human rps right after I posted this.
Last edited by SamueWolfSword on Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ooo- Signature!
Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show
Spoiler