opinions on realistic/unrealistic rp

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

SilkenGalaxy
Name: Alex

Re: opinions on realistic/unrealistic rp

Post by SilkenGalaxy » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:17 am

For me, well, when I first started I really only cared for realistic rps, even if I didn't really know what realistic was (I was guilty of having wolf characters with icy blue eyes). I absolutely hated the fact that people would do unrealistic rps. Nowadays, things are different. I don't really mind unrealistic rps anymore, and I'm pretty ok with people making them and participating in them, as long as they're being fair rpers and having fun, although I personally prefer to play in semi-realistic ones.

resanfray
Pup
Pup

Post by resanfray » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:35 am

I was wondering what was thought about Fantasy roleplay around the wq world. And apprently this is the topic for it.
I am very much aware of our general realistic approach to the game due to it's educational settings and very hard worked realistic atmosphere.
I've almost always felt that fantasy rps are shamed and a little forbidden, and the hosts/players in the game are told to go to another platform.
Realistic Games are fun, and I have played them to far extents and pushed for new inspirations that remained in logical lines. I have realistic characters based on physical laws.
They follow the realistic color patterns and personalities that match to actual species temperament.

I know that when I say 'Fantasy' it probably makes one think about rainbow creatures, sparkle wolves and new members pretending to be constantly invincible.
Perhaps you believe that Fantasy is always a chaotic style with obscure things flying in the air and maybe wizards roaming the vale..

My best friend and I rp fantasy all the time. We keep it toned down. Everything has its consequence. Nothing is invincible. I'd say our style is somewhat... realisism fantasy?
As if the fantasy world was real. Everything done has an effect. Nothing is as if it were out of say an old "My Little Pony" film. I try to describe this to you guys the best I can.
But it seems as if I can barely do that. I feel as if our small handful of people (fantasy rpers) are often stereotyped. And because we like 'child themes' we are thought of as new comers.
When I make my characters for Fantasy rp.. And these ones always stick with me... I make my characters have at least semi-realistic physical traits. But I do have some extra flare to my characters which is unnatural. And you have to forgive me but I feel the freedom to add obscure things to my chars. Maybe like... A wolf's tail can curl, and they can have powers. Or if the character has an absolutely obscure thing, to make him stand against the population, he has a deep rich red coat, and eyes that are solid black with a golden ring of an iris, so that it looks to be floating in the darkness.
Space (BFF) and I have been rping for a long long time. We've been through the roster of people. We've had friends that stayed with us for years and yet they had gone away. We've seen people
start from newbies, and blossom into amazing literate people, We have been those people. I feel that even though we are an obscure community comparatively, we have the same experiences as the realistic rpers.

To summarize my thoughts...
I respect both Realism and Fantasy. And I approve mixing the too.
I believe some of the community does not understand we have different levels. And we are not all the same.

A quick side note, anyone who comes into my servers are welcome to join as fantasy or realistic.

Writers Block
Name: Mika, Lynx

Post by Writers Block » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:09 am

Honestly I don't care at all what kind of RP you have as long as you're having fun? Obviously not everyone wants to do the same kind of RP (which is understandable, we all have different tastes) so it's just a matter of finding people who want to do the same thing as you. I don't care if your character would be considered a Mary Sue/Wolfy Sue/whatever, if you and your RP buddies are having a blast that's all I care about! You do you, bud.

I don't believe realistic or unrealistic RP is better than the other. It's really all a matter of preference.

Personally my RP character (off forum, I don't RP on WQ anymore) is a realistic human boy, but all of my partners' characters are magical and/or have superpowers. The power imbalance is fun to work around, and it's never been a problem. You'd never know that my character was physically weaker than any of the others with how much spunk he has, and I've never been picked on for having a "normal" character when no one else does. Over the years I've picked up a few other partners with normal human characters (due to my character's request, as he sometimes feels a bit lonely being the only human). I've had meaningful and funny and amazing RPs of both the magical and realistic calibur, and replies that were 200 words each or 10 words each. Those aren't the things that matter: whether it was realistic or not didn't affect how much fun I had, but what did make a difference was the dynamics between the characters and me and my partners.

RP doesn't have to be 100% srsbsns all the time, imo, and as long as you and your partners are enjoying it do whatever the heck you want.
we are not history yet.
we are happening now.
how miraculous is that?
avvie©mute
quote©wtnv

alethe
Name: [REDACTED]

Post by alethe » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:45 am

agreed with above. I actually enjoy playing the normal character in the mix. As long as everyone is having fun, I don't see the big deal.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
ARE YOU A JEDI ?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

av/sig : fidd/lupe

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:55 pm

If all the WolfQuest multiplayer roleplays were judged by my understanding of "realistic," 99% of them would fail to fit in that category. It really depends on what you believe to be realistic roleplay, and if you have a loose definition of what's realistic, then many of the roleplays occuring in multiplayer could be categorized as such. As a consequence, I actually don't think the "fantasy" roleplays would be too far-fetched by comparison, or cause any stigma.

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Rowan

Post by valkea » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:45 pm

I agree with the viewpoint that as long as everyone involved is having fun, it's not a big deal. That's one of the points of roleplay, after all. I can, however, understand why people can be against unrealistic roleplay in WolfQuest, as it is meant to be a realistic and educational game. I totally get how it can be frustrating for some people to have others completely go against that goal in their roleplay. However, it is also important to consider that what one person considers to be "realistic" could be considered "unrealistic" by another. One person might think that to be realistic, it'd have to be on the same level as the level of realism required by User Writings. Another person might be much more lenient about it.

Of course, that doesn't quite apply the same way to instances where wings, powers, etc. are brought into the situation, however as long as it's an enjoyable roleplay, I say let them have fun and if you're not a fan of that particular roleplay, it's time to move on and find a different one that has realism standards you agree with more. I think that if given the choice, I'd actually pick the unrealistic/fantasy wolf based roleplay over the realistic wolf one, simply because I feel like there'd be more to do with the unrealistic one than with the realistic one and that it could be more interesting.
má shínim seal uaire faoi chrann a dhéanamh só
o cad é sin don te sin nach mbaineann sin dó?

SamueWolfSword
Pup
Pup
Name: Samue

Post by SamueWolfSword » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:39 pm

I don`t really join realistic rps and I don`t entirely know why. I think it`s difficult for me to rp in a realistic atmosphere, or perhaps in general because it takes me a while to think of what to do and my mind is incoherent and clouded. I also might worry about doing something wrong to the point I might not get to rp much with others. I mean, I don`t want to barge into someone`s rp.

I don`t like having other players be in a romantic relationship with my characters. However, I think that realistic wolves tend to find a partner and raise pups with them. Raising pups might be ok if my character stays spouseless.
I kinda do want to try a realistic rp, though. I`ll just avoid that part I don`t want to do... I could probably avoid it by creating some sort of other goal for my wolf (maybe make them sick or injured so they can`t hunt well (but wait they can just eat a carcass)).

I usually don`t make characters for roleplays, I make them for books (I`m creating books). So I pick a character and then make a variation of them specifically adapted to a roleplay.
My characters are typically magic, technologically advanced alien wolves. The magic isn`t always beneficial, either. One of my characters has powers but they also have a condition that makes it so their powers have a chance to malfunction.
Ooo- Signature!
Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show
:butterfly:
This is hard for me to read.

DinoDogDude209
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by DinoDogDude209 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:39 am

Back when I still was an avid roleplayer on the game, I preferred semi-realistic wolf RPs, with some occasional dog RPs in the Lost River map (which was actually really fun). However, roleplaying got boring for me after a while and now I rarely ever take part in RP servers.

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: EMK

Post by Phasoli » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:00 pm

Back in the day when I first started playing, I was an avid stick-to-the-facts type of roleplayer, but then, my idea of what "realistic" wolf behaviour was at the time was very skewed. I personally wouldn't mind roleplaying realistically, but unfortunately, what's considered realistic versus unrealistic would probably be heavily disputed in a lot of the WolfQuest servers that are up currently. (For example, many claiming that wolves have ranks/a rigid social structure)
||,.°`°.,,.°`°.,||ЖЖЖ||,.°`°.,,.°`°.,||
Writing is a job, a talent,
but it's also the place to go inside your head.
It's the imaginary friend you drink tea
with in the afternoon.
||,.°`°.,||Ж||,.°`°.,||
sig/quote © Kamaal/Ann Patchett

DinoDogDude209
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by DinoDogDude209 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:44 pm

Phasoli wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:00 pm
Back in the day when I first started playing, I was an avid stick-to-the-facts type of roleplayer, but then, my idea of what "realistic" wolf behaviour was at the time was very skewed. I personally wouldn't mind roleplaying realistically, but unfortunately, what's considered realistic versus unrealistic would probably be heavily disputed in a lot of the WolfQuest servers that are up currently. (For example, many claiming that wolves have ranks/a rigid social structure)
This is a problem I've seen too. It's part of why I rarely ever roleplay on the game anymore, because it's just people helping to spread myths and misconceptions about wolves.

xc92u3

Post by xc92u3 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:35 am

In the beginning, I was that way, too. And yet wolfdogs that came from labs with green eyes and two tails join and it's just... I told you what the game was. Come on!
So I gave up. I'm horrible at being alpha. All my characters are.
Today, I stumbled into a dragon RP... Two people were locked behind the Floppy enclosure (the "breeding room", but I called it the "egg room" XD), and the BCE itself (the Floppy place) was a lab. It was actually really fun! A few people who didn't want to be dragons joined as wolves. Or wolffoxes, or coyotewolves. One could float through walls, but they wanted the game to be realistic! It was so hilarious!
I've given up on realism..........
Until WQ3

elkhunter123456
Yearling
Yearling

Post by elkhunter123456 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:16 pm

i never really thought of unrealistic rp but that might change in wolfquest 3 thanks to the calves and new predator AI. :o :D
prey:
hare
beaver
mule deer
elk
moose
competitors:
raven
eagle
fox
coyote
wolf