Forum Suggestions V2

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

User avatar
alethe
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2813
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:39 pm
Name: [REDACTED]
Gender: Female
Location: scadrial
Contact:

Re: Forum Suggestions V2

Post by alethe » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:10 pm

JayMist wrote: EDIT EDIT:
And maybe unsticky the Chat Lexicon or lock it?

EDIT EDIT EDIT:
Also, is it necessary to list the moderators for each forum if you all are global moderators?
I agree with both of these. The chat lexicon thread is doing nothing, as the lexicon is most likely not going to be updated any time soon, and there is already a thread for people to report inappropriate sayings.

And because all the mods (I believe) can moderate all the threads, it seems kind of pointless to write individual names out.


_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I eat danger for breakfast!
Actually, I don’t. I prefer cereal.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _


av/sig : lupe

User avatar
Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Posts: 12965
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:53 pm
Gender: Female
Location: washington, d.c.
Contact:

Re: Forum Suggestions V2

Post by Koa » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:14 pm

Not sure on the status of the lexicon, but in regards to the moderator thing and moderation of forums --

Individual names are listed by the forums because moderators choose specific forums to moderate. They can moderate all boards in the normal circumstance; however, the boards in which they have chosen to moderate are the ones they are encouraged to focus on. Does that make sense? It is more or less to help things run more smoothly.
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

User avatar
1BitJay
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 741
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:06 pm
Name: Jay
Gender: Female
Location: #2498D8 my color<3
Contact:

Re: Forum Suggestions V2

Post by 1BitJay » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:15 pm

Koa wrote:Not sure on the status of the lexicon, but in regards to the moderator thing and moderation of forums --

Individual names are listed by the forums because moderators choose specific forums to moderate. They can moderate all boards in the normal circumstance; however, the boards in which they have chosen to moderate are the ones they are encouraged to focus on. Does that make sense? It is more or less to help things run more smoothly.
Its just rather weird seeing it since moderators actually do all forums... Its just me.. I presume..
I ᗯOᑌᒪᗪ ᔕᗩY TᕼᗩT ᗰᑌᔕIᑕ Iᔕ TᕼE EᗩᔕIEᔕT ᗰEᗩᑎᔕ
Iᑎ ᗯᕼIᑕᕼ TO E᙭ᑭᖇEᔕᔕ, ᗷᑌT ᔕIᑎᑕE ᗯOᖇᗪᔕ ᗩᖇE ᗰY
TᗩᒪEᑎT,
I ᗰᑌᔕT TᖇY TO E᙭ᑭᖇEᔕᔕ ᑕᒪᑌᗰᔕIᒪY Iᑎ
ᗯOᖇᗪᔕ
ᗯᕼᗩT TᕼE ᑭᑌᖇE ᗰᑌᔕIᑕ ᗯOᑌᒪᗪ ᕼᗩᐯE ᗪOᑎE ᗷETTEᖇ.

αν;; i forgot </3 ѕιg;; мє
1BitJay
#8137

User avatar
alethe
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2813
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:39 pm
Name: [REDACTED]
Gender: Female
Location: scadrial
Contact:

Re: Forum Suggestions V2

Post by alethe » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:16 pm

Koa wrote: Individual names are listed by the forums because moderators choose specific forums to moderate. They can moderate all boards in the normal circumstance; however, the boards in which they have chosen to moderate are the ones they are encouraged to focus on. Does that make sense? It is more or less to help things run more smoothly.
Ah, okay. That makes more sense.


_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I eat danger for breakfast!
Actually, I don’t. I prefer cereal.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _


av/sig : lupe

User avatar
Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Posts: 12965
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:53 pm
Gender: Female
Location: washington, d.c.
Contact:

Re: Forum Suggestions V2

Post by Koa » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:19 pm

JayMist wrote:
Koa wrote:Not sure on the status of the lexicon, but in regards to the moderator thing and moderation of forums --

Individual names are listed by the forums because moderators choose specific forums to moderate. They can moderate all boards in the normal circumstance; however, the boards in which they have chosen to moderate are the ones they are encouraged to focus on. Does that make sense? It is more or less to help things run more smoothly.
Its just rather weird seeing it since moderators actually do all forums... Its just me.. I presume..
Not necessarily... I mean, moderators will handled something outside of their forum if it really needs to be handled. But generally, the forums that moderators sign up for are the ones that they are (generally) the most comfortable with moderating. For example, someone moderating Get to Know Each Other or General Other Topic Discussion is more likely to stay within their forum versus handling something in User Writings or General Wolf Discussion, unless it is an emergency or something basic.

I don't know how the current moderators feel exactly about forum assignments now, but that's something that has been around for a long time and generally ensures that everyone has enough to moderate, per say. I don't think that's something that will change, but I could be wrong.
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

User avatar
Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Posts: 5687
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:57 am
Gender: Female
Location: England, United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: Forum Suggestions V2

Post by Neamara » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:26 pm

JayMist wrote:@NAW: Is there any other way for it to work in this style?
It would need looking into at the very least; there's no way of using a direct link since it always uses a unique hash key. I did look at the page source and can see the overall footer -- a bar shown at the bottom of the page similar to the one shown at the top, present in almost all prosilver styles -- does still exist but has been commented out of its template file. Image

You can still bookmark topics without changing the style by viewing the page source while viewing a topic, opening the search bar (Ctrl+F) and typing in 'bookmark' to see the bookmark hash for your current session.
<li class="icon-bookmark"><a href="./viewtopic.php?f=3&t=75064&bookmark=1&hash=8361ae47" title="Bookmark topic">Bookmark topic</a></li>
You do need to clean up the URL a bit (replace & with &) for it to work properly, since you're viewing raw(?) html in the page source. Just managed to bookmark this topic without switching style so it does work, though the method may differ per browser.
Update

I did find this thread on the phpBB support forum while browsing Google and it does look to have been a known problem in the past.

I have a suggestion- revive the magic word game (if Dave is willing?)
*pokes the forum with a 10ft pole*
it's (still) dead jim

[
XBL] • [PSN]
[
Switch SW-7220-7090-5161]
Avatar © LupinzPack

User avatar
Nor-easter Forecast
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 9:16 am
Gender: Female
Location: Southwestern USA

Re: Forum Suggestions V2

Post by Nor-easter Forecast » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:54 pm

The mobile version looks great Dave, thank you! I'm posting with it right now. However, I agree with river6: a darker background would be easier use. Anyway, I'm thrilled to have it.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ˢ ʳ ˢ
ˢ ʳʸʰ ˢ ʰ
ˣ ˢ ʰˢ,
ʰ ʳʸʰ
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

av/sig/quote © coyoteflu/LupinzPack/patty griffin

Nordue
Guest
Guest

Re: Forum Suggestions V2

Post by Nordue » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:00 pm


User avatar
alethe
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2813
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:39 pm
Name: [REDACTED]
Gender: Female
Location: scadrial
Contact:

Re: Forum Suggestions V2

Post by alethe » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:04 am

That's really great! I'll make one for sure. Thanks Tonbei!


_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I eat danger for breakfast!
Actually, I don’t. I prefer cereal.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _


av/sig : lupe

User avatar
duskypack
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Posts: 1353
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:49 pm
Name: Dusk
Gender: Female

Re: Forum Suggestions V2

Post by duskypack » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:40 pm

I think there should be like a 'Most Helpful User Guide' award, a rank really made by voting.
¯~_°. .°_~¯
Night is now falling, so ends this day.
The road is now calling, and I must away.
Over hill and under tree, through lands where never light has shone.
By silver streams that run down to the sea.
¯~_°. .°_~¯

Lyrics - The Last Goodbye by Billy Boyd
(from the third Hobbit movie)
Av/Sig - Koa/Raven

User avatar
Chumpkins_
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 425
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:59 pm
Name:
Gender: Male
Location: ‍ ‍ ‍

Re: Forum Suggestions V2

Post by Chumpkins_ » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:15 pm

I do like the mobile version except I agree with river6 and Hoover that it needs a darker backround.
i'm glad to see the forum is coming back to life!
_-:¡!*"*!¡:-_
_-:¡!*"Warden"*!¡:-_
. . . . . . . . . . . . .
In war, victory
In peace, vigilance
In death, sacrifice
. . . . . . . . . . . . .

av/sig: alethe

Nordue
Guest
Guest

Re: Forum Suggestions V2

Post by Nordue » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:12 pm


calxmity
WQ Report Team Retiree
WQ Report Team Retiree
Posts: 198
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:10 am

Re: Forum Suggestions V2

Post by calxmity » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:28 am

What about a forum just for original artwork? It doesn't have to canines it can be anything kid-appropriate. I realize only administrators can add boards but just a suggestion. ^^
green - cavetown

Nordue
Guest
Guest

Re: Forum Suggestions V2

Post by Nordue » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:49 pm

Lit wrote:What about a forum just for original artwork? It doesn't have to canines it can be anything kid-appropriate. I realize only administrators can add boards but just a suggestion. ^^
  • That sounded familiar, and I looked at the old Forum suggestion topic/ and I found an applicable response:
WQ Coordinator wrote:A non-wolf related User Writings board. Sorry, but since the focus for these forums is supposed to be on wolves and WolfQuest, I won't be starting or approving any major non-wolf topics like this other than the 'other canids' user writings board we started. User writings is already a very moderator-intensive board, so adding to it in a manner that doesn't help us accomplish any of WolfQuest's goals doesn't seem worth it to me.
A General User Writings/Art forum, where you can post any general literature/artwork. See answer above.
  • Is that a satisfactory response Lit? I also like to think that many active members of the community boast their own Deviantart accounts, which provides a network for sharing all manners of artwork on that site. Perhaps a new WQ group on DA can be created for sharing general art there?

User avatar
Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Posts: 5687
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:57 am
Gender: Female
Location: England, United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: Forum Suggestions V2

Post by Neamara » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:08 pm

-- Capitalize "moderators" in "Global moderators"

It's a nice idea, but there are technical restrictions to what you can do with a manual install of phpBB software. At least not with a "vanilla"/unmodified installation. One of those limits applies to default/pre-defined forum usergroups due to the way they're integrated. Renaming them wouldn't be possible in the ACP nor by the webmaster in phpmyadmin. I did some experimentation on my independent forum to confirm.

There is a modification that can be applied to make this possible provided in phpBB's knowledge base which only Dave would be able to implement via FTP, but I don't believe it's really necessary.
Koa wrote:Since it's "Global moderators" and more or less a generalized term, "moderators" does not need to be capitalized. ^^
*pokes the forum with a 10ft pole*
it's (still) dead jim

[
XBL] • [PSN]
[
Switch SW-7220-7090-5161]
Avatar © LupinzPack

Post Reply

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”