Sharing WQ with Friends & Family: Your Experiences

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

Nordue

Sharing WQ with Friends & Family: Your Experiences

Post by Nordue » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:12 am

• This topic is about sharing the WQ experience with the people you know! I'll start us off. Warning, it's kind of long!

Last week, while my boyfriend and I were looking for something to do, I convinced him to download the WQ game. He had known about my involvement with the community beforehand, but I think he did it for my benefit more so than actual interest. He plays PC video games like Starcraft, WoW, and Kerbal Space Program daily, so I was excited to see his reaction to playing something...a little out of his realm.

Anyway, after booting it up on his awesome big monitor, the fun began. He tried so hard to get all the stat bars to 1 for his white wolf before I broke and told him that wasn't possible with the balancing system. I think he realized after that it should have been obvious :P. He ended up making a speedy wolf with almost no stamina. He was determined to beat the game very quickly in a 'speed run'. Ooookaaaay, I thought to myself, wondering how this would go, considering he had never played or seen the game before. Oh well!

The next funny moment was when after the little AM into blurb (which he didn't read), the keyboard with all the many controls for the game appeared. He was like "WHAAAT, HOW"! He probably wasn't expecting a children-oriented game to have so many controls! Anyhow, I think his impression of the game was not improving, but he already had a big bias against it anyway, comparing it to his regular games, along with the fact that it was kiddy in nature. I expected this sort of thing though, and was getting good entertainment out of the whole thing.

After figuring out how to socialize in the arena, he demanded to know why he couldn't make any of the females his mate. I then told him he had to visit all three territories and socialize with a wolf in each. His reaction was basically 'that is too much work whyyy'. So impatient! And he almost lost his first dispersal, because he kept choosing the "let's play!" instead of moving on to "let's start a pack!". I had to intervene there.

He commented that when his mate wolf would run ahead and start swerving (you all must know what I mean), he laughed and said she must have popped a tire. I thought that was funny.

Slough Creek got him very frustrated, as you could probably imagine :P . He couldn't accept how you had to get a wolf head symbol in order to bite/pick up puppy/feed/eat. Much key jabbing occurred.

He also had trouble defending his pups. He decided to ignore a coyote once he had chased it some ways, and it ended up killing one of his pups. I explained you had to kill them essentially, which lead to many long pursuits of waiting for the red bite head to appear, and for his -ve stamina wolf to catch his breath.

Bears were a whole other ordeal. The new AI of the bears make them hard to actually chase away, since they will now turn and defend themselves instead of zooming away. We were lucky not to lose any more pups before the mission finally ended. Luckily, the feeding mission did not take long to do. His patience was thinning with the fiddly controls :roll: .

He never finished the Rendezvous mission. He accidentally walked into another wolf's territory, which teleported the 2/3 pups he did manage to get to the site back to the crossing. From there, he put his hands in the air and said "Nope, I'm done." As he closed the game, I then proceeded to tease him about how he couldn't even complete a simple children's game. He was quite cross for some time after playing the game, poor guy. It was fun for me though, hehe!

That was quite long! Have you guys had any memorable experiences playing WQ with your friends or family members?

alethe
Name: [REDACTED]

Re: Sharing WQ with Friends & Family: Your Experiences

Post by alethe » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:19 am

My brother plays the single player game sometimes, and my parents don't know I'm still on the forums.
My dad probably wouldn't like the fact I'm on the forums.
So I don't tell them.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
ARE YOU A JEDI ?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

av/sig : fidd/lupe

psy
Former WQ Moderator
Name: Jay

Post by psy » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:12 am

One time, while I was playing WolfQuest, my friend came over. He said that I played WolfQuest a lot and then he asked if he could start a new game and play. Being the sucker I've always been, I've loaded up a new game for him. He said he wanted a hat for his wolf. I told him that he couldn't get a hat for his character. After 15 minutes of questions, he finally made his wolf. He was chasing hares like an insane person. Then, he walked away. He said that WolfQuest was fun, but he needed to be better. Welp, I tried.

SOMETIMES YOU GOTTA CLOSE THE DOOR
TO OPEN A WINDOW

Keytone
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Keytone » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:25 am

I don't play the game, but both my parents know I'm on the forums basically all day. I trust them not to look at my posts or anything, though you never know with my mom.
-
Icon - Riceboy

duskypack
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: “Dusk”

Post by duskypack » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:09 pm

I show all my friends Wolfquest, i'm not sure they stay on it or not, but i enjoy seeing my best friend be a noob :P I showed her my boredom guide on the forums and i think she enjoyed it a bit more.

I have two older brothers one is 3 years older then me and they love to poke fun at it. My parents are out of the question.

I introduce many people to Wolfquest, i recently went to a Wolf Reserve a couple weeks ago (and saw my first wolf!!) and i told a boy there about it.

So, yeah, trying to show the world my game. I think i might be succeeding mwahahaha.

-Dusk
¯~_°. .°_~¯
Night is now falling, so ends this day.
The road is now calling, and I must away.
Over hill and under tree, through lands where never light has shone.
By silver streams that run down to the sea.
¯~_°. .°_~¯

Lyrics - The Last Goodbye by Billy Boyd
Av/Sig - Koa/Raven

howl-ite
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by howl-ite » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:48 pm

I remember telling a couple of my friends about it when I was younger. My parents know that I'm on the forums, however, they don't take any note of it.
͙ ͓ ̡ ʼ ̂ ̽ ˟ ʼ ʼ ˟ ̽ ̂ ʼ ̢ ͓ ͙
valar morghulis

yes. all
men must die,
but we are not men ﴿

̂ ̽ ˟ ʼ ʼ ˟ ̽ ̂

av- Lupe
sig- lupe

banned by neam on Wednesday the 9th of May 2k18 <3
:*´¨`*:.(¯`*

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:00 am

I've only ever really mentioned WolfQuest to my cousins and my mum... >.>" Through them, my auntie and dad know about it, respectively.

My cousins enjoyed it and did play it with me (via multiplayer) for a while, and my mum has only ever played through episode 1. She thought it was alright for (and I quote her exact words) "a budget game". Welp, I tried.
Nothing interesting happens.
[XBL] • [Switch SW-7220-7090-5161]

WQ Wiki WQ Discord WQ Reddit

Captain Rora
Name: Anda, Rora/Roars, Lawrence
Location: The Point of N̨̗̠̲͔͍̘͜o̫̟͍͉͔̲̠ͅ ̢͈͎̝͎͍̳̥R̨̧̜̣̰̣̟͙e̘̗̣͓̝͓̺̹t̨͈̠̯̙̤͚̭ų͎̖̞̦̲̬ͅr̡̙̥̹̩͓̣̣n̖̠̪͚̩̞͈͙

Post by Captain Rora » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:45 pm

I've shown my best friend and two cousins to the game. My sister also knows of it, as do my mother. c':

Sister: I didn't get my sister to actually play but when she first saw it she was all "oOo, that looks cool." I also got her to create a random wolf for me to play SP on. xD

Cousins: Well, I was playing MP when they arrived for a visit, so I offered that they give it a try. First thing one of them did was try to write swear words into the chat and I was just giggling because the filter foiled them every time. Long story short, after hunting and trying to write stuff into the chat cousin number 1 gave up and decided just to play on the Kinect. Cousin number 2 was a little better at hunting, but the people in the chat were getting angry because I wasn't RP'ing and so shut down the server. So I just opened up a SP game and sent Cousin 1 on her way. She submitted to every wolf she came across and it took a little help from me to find her a mate. She found a den in Slough before deciding that she had had enough and quitting as well. c':

Bestie: First off, I got her to download the game. We were talking to each other via phone when I asked if she wanted to play WQ. So we both started a SP game with our respectable wolves when she asked "where are you?" I answered something like, "near Butte Vista. The Druid territory." So she ran around a few minutes before I decided to explain that we weren't on MP. xD
So I booted up a server for just us two and we started romping around. I taught her to use the chat, to RP, to hunt, and what glitches are awesome and how to avoid the ones that aren't. After all that we played hide and seek. We played together for a few months but I have no idea if she still plays the game.

In the words of the posters before me: "Welp, I tried."
- A U R O R A -
).........(\_
((.____/{ "-;
)).-' {{ ;'`
( (.;._ \\
DISTANT BLOODS PACK
- HEY AH HEY AH ♥︎
The Box of S̱̪̘̖̙͇̱̜͚̝͜ͅh̢̡̳̬̗̖͎̞̠͖̱ͅa̫̹͉̫̗͉̞̰̖̣͇̗m̤͖̖͎̖̼͔̯̤̩̪̫ḛ̡̠̗͉̰̳̰̞̫ͅͅ

SilkenGalaxy
Name: Alex

Post by SilkenGalaxy » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:46 am

I have never gotten any of my family to play the game, but I got a friend of mine to play the game and she loved it! She loved the part where she got a mate for her wolf in SP. My parents are annoyed by the fact I love the game and play it so much. My sisters don't play the game and never have, but they watch me play and my oldest sister laughs whenever I experience a glitch, especially with floating bears and always says: "Record it or something, but capture it, it's funny!" And I once shown my BFF the game and I got to even the part with the pups and she thought they were adorable.

Those are my experiences.

iIida

Post by iIida » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:37 am

Sometimes i read and post some for forums.
A few my friends play single game. I'm not ever hear they plays multiplayer..

Floofysaur
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: Fwoof

Post by Floofysaur » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:18 pm

I've always tried to involve my real life friends to play with me. Their effort wasn't beneficial to even try out the game, nonetheless, the forum itself. My parents on the other hand, never really cared for what I was doing on the computer, though some sites they were always, very curious. They wouldn't read my posts, unless they were a fast navigator.
Roses are gray,
Violets are blue,
I am a dog

Celestial-Howl
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Alicia

Post by Celestial-Howl » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:36 am

When I convinced my cousin to play WQ, it was hilarious.

She started out with a wolf named Kiara, she colored her white, gave her stats, and began. She had no idea how to play so I spent 15 minutes "mentoring" her on the tedious (not for me) controls. She went hunting but broke down and couldn't kill the elk (wimp!) so she practically survived the whole entire first episode eating hares because she hated the blood. Every time she ran into a wolf submitted and left, I saw the first episode was not funny but the second one was the best part. When my cousin got her mate she named him Night, so Kiara and Night went into Slough Creek to find a den and pups and blah blah blah. But when she got her pups Lola, Moss, Winston, and Jayde, this is where the fun begins. She was screaming at the screen "OMG you pups just stay near the den you little brats!" For an entire 5 minutes before I told her you had to train them. But when a Bear came after Moss, she freaked out, froze, and the bear killed Moss. Then she cried over a lost digital puppy, only to be greeted by a coyote who feasted on Jayde and Winston, leaving only Lola. Then she pretty much had a mental breakdown, right after killing the coyote. On the journey Lola almost drowned, got taken by a hawk, and starved, but when she finally got there she sat staring at the screen. She still plays now, and is pretty good at WQ. But then was just a nightmare.
~ σиℓу тωσ кιи∂ѕ σf ρєσρℓє єχιѕт ιи тнιѕ ωσяℓ∂, тнσѕє ωнσ ѕтєαℓ, αи∂ тнσѕє ωнσ αяє ѕтσℓєи fяσм. ~

Keyyva
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Keyyva » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:28 am

I always describe what WQ is like to my friends before I show them since I don't want to show them a game they have no interest in.

My sister loves wolves like myself. All I did with that was download ad install the game for her and off she goes.
My parents understand slightly what WQ is, but they never played it or have an interest in learning.
And finally, 4 of my friends were interested in WQ and played through the single player and maybe a bit of multiplayer as well, but soon they lost interest.

In conclusion, I think parents are not interested simply because they are parents :p and only the right friends will play Wolf Quest long term.
Character © Keyyva
Avatar © Vexi - http://vexiwolf.deviantart.com [Used with permission]

1BitJay
Name: Jay

Post by 1BitJay » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:40 pm

My parents found it rather weird. They never liked the idea of chatting with anyone online. But, I am eighteen and don't really care anymore what they think since I know it is fine. I mean, come on, it is educational!
My current boyfriend finds it rather weird too. He does not understand why I like the game and gets annoyed when I play and give him no attention.
A few of my exs actually constantly played with me and enjoyed the game. But, thats only when we dated.

Other than that, nobody else really knows.
I ᗯOᑌᒪᗪ ᔕᗩY TᕼᗩT ᗰᑌᔕIᑕ Iᔕ TᕼE EᗩᔕIEᔕT ᗰEᗩᑎᔕ
Iᑎ ᗯᕼIᑕᕼ TO E᙭ᑭᖇEᔕᔕ, ᗷᑌT ᔕIᑎᑕE ᗯOᖇᗪᔕ ᗩᖇE ᗰY
TᗩᒪEᑎT,
I ᗰᑌᔕT TᖇY TO E᙭ᑭᖇEᔕᔕ ᑕᒪᑌᗰᔕIᒪY Iᑎ
ᗯOᖇᗪᔕ
ᗯᕼᗩT TᕼE ᑭᑌᖇE ᗰᑌᔕIᑕ ᗯOᑌᒪᗪ ᕼᗩᐯE ᗪOᑎE ᗷETTEᖇ.

αν;; i forgot </3 ѕιg;; мє
1BitJay

PeltOfAsh
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Ash

Post by PeltOfAsh » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:01 pm

I've only shared WQ with one person in real life.

He made an account and stalked around a little bit, but he disappeared after that.

My parents already think I am odd enough, and my brother would give me grief about it, and most other people just don't understand.

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”