All the WQ Players Summed Up

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

Celestial-Howl
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Alicia

Re: All the WQ Players Summed Up

Post by Celestial-Howl » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:26 pm

SilkenGalaxy wrote:
Kamaal wrote:
Ever-green wrote:
  • This would be fun to draw as a scene, some of these personalities. Like draw it, and then impose the game's controls over top of it.

Like a wolf with a metal detector, looking for led, and another asking about being their meat, and who knows what else... but someone do this! Maybe me, in the future. I am not claiming it or anything!
Amazing idea! I'll start working on it and if it turns out worthy, I will post it on here so you guys can see it! Thanks for bringing this up Ever!
Yes, that's a great idea! Do it Kam!

That would be GREAT. It could be a whole entire topic shown to new players about "How not to act" or something. I'm down with that.
~ σиℓу тωσ кιи∂ѕ σf ρєσρℓє єχιѕт ιи тнιѕ ωσяℓ∂, тнσѕє ωнσ ѕтєαℓ, αи∂ тнσѕє ωнσ αяє ѕтσℓєи fяσм. ~

Sintact

Post by Sintact » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:21 pm

Haahaha, I laughed at this so much. I haven't played the game for a long time since the chat lexicon started to be limited, but I do remember most of the prototypes listed in the first post. The most annoying ones are power players and people pretending to be pups in the worst conditions and situations.
Former WolfQuest Moderator
May '09 User of the Month

Kyrozide
Pup
Pup

Post by Kyrozide » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:53 pm

The one I see the most is..

Mate Beggers: These people drive me crazy, whether they are constantly trying to surround all the males in the pack, or giving off the 'in season' scent, they are super annoying, and don't allow any other wolves to interact with the male wolves.

The 'pro' or 'advanced role players': These people give descriptions of SOME words I don't even know. I'm not going to say much about these people, but it's hard for me sometimes to understand.

That's all. :wolf:

AmberZeWolf
Yearling
Yearling

Post by AmberZeWolf » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:49 pm

I'll be honest, I've fallen into the more Quiet Ones category because within the most recent version of WQ, I decided since disabled chat doesn't exist anymore why not just be quiet unless someone asks me something?
Taking your time when you can is key to a healthy lifestyle. You may have a set lifespan, but you don't have to rush yourself every second of it.

Kamaal
Name: Kam

Post by Kamaal » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:58 am

I seriously hate mate beggars, to be particular, yesterday I decided to RP as one of my male charries Desoto... Every female in the RP started to hit on him and begging him non stop. But one of them took it too long, she claimed that she was the queen spirit of Slough and that if Desoto chose her as a mate he'd become the king. I just couldn't stop laughing, now seriously what are your mamas givin' ya to act that way? X3
I ran out of snarky remarks, unfortunately.

Arcturus221B
Pup
Pup
Name: Arcturus

Post by Arcturus221B » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:17 am

I don't really role play in-game anymore, so I'm not bothered by most of these things, but there's one thing I find very irritating. It's basically what I call the 'one pup mentality'. Okay, I get it. There's five people on the server and four or less pups, so everyone can just take care of a pup and bring it to the summer den. Not much of a problem in itself, but as a result there's always one person miles in front of the others and as soon as they get to the summer den they start to howl, making it a lot harder for everybody else to get the pups there. And that's just when the level is on easy or something simple like that and all five people have this mentality. For me, it becomes especially annoying when there's just four or less people and four pups and/or the difficulty level is high, because they only care about that little pup and the rest can basically die of starvation or be eaten by an eagle for all they care. But no! They expect you to take care of the rest and get mad at you if you let a pup die (on purpose or not). I usually just grab their pup and take it back to the rest because it's the only way I can keep them a bit closer to the others. It's a co-op mission, so try to work together. And if that doesn't work I just go and wander about and watch them struggle :'D

Something else that's rather annoying is people joining a pup raising server and then proceed to just wander about and hunt a bit and otherwise not being very helpful.

Abandoned Corpse wrote:The 'pro' or 'advanced role players': These people give descriptions of SOME words I don't even know. I'm not going to say much about these people, but it's hard for me sometimes to understand.
This is basically why I don't RP in games anymore. After 7 years or so of writing and RP I think I can calmly call myself an advanced role player, but all those difficult words? Why are they even using them? When it comes to writing, it's more about the way you formulate the sentences and the content of the text, not all the pretty and difficult words you can stuff in there. It's distracting and interups the flow if you have to take a second to remember what the word means or don't know their meaning to begin with. To add to that, in games you can actually just do some of the actions and don't really need to describe them in detail. Just mention it, add an emotion and/or reason for it and done xD
☀ "Beттer тo Lιɢнт oɴe cαɴdle, тнαɴ Cυrѕe тнe Dαrĸɴeѕѕ" ★

Kamaal

Post by Kamaal » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:32 am

Lakagigar wrote:
Abandoned Corpse wrote:The 'pro' or 'advanced role players': These people give descriptions of SOME words I don't even know. I'm not going to say much about these people, but it's hard for me sometimes to understand.
This is basically why I don't RP in games anymore. After 7 years or so of writing and RP I think I can calmly call myself an advanced role player, but all those difficult words? Why are they even using them? When it comes to writing, it's more about the way you formulate the sentences and the content of the text, not all the pretty and difficult words you can stuff in there. It's distracting and interups the flow if you have to take a second to remember what the word means or don't know their meaning to begin with. To add to that, in games you can actually just do some of the actions and don't really need to describe them in detail. Just mention it, add an emotion and/or reason for it and done xD
I wouldn't agree with you a 100% on this, yes sometimes it get frustrating, but if it weren't for those people I wouldn't be able to enhance my vocabulary, nor my RPing skills (I wouldn't even know what RP meant). This doesn't necessarily mean that by using difficult words the RP "messes up". It's the exact opposite (at least in my opinion), it makes you curious of the word's meaning and so on. So if you really do care to learn something, you can look it up. Plus having proper grammar and a flourishing vocabulary makes everyone's experience much better instead of just using this for instance: "Howl's claiming den/territory" or "growls at the other wolf".

SilkenGalaxy
Name: Alex

Post by SilkenGalaxy » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:12 pm

Kamaal wrote:
Lakagigar wrote:
I wouldn't agree with you a 100% on this, yes sometimes it get frustrating, but if it weren't for those people I wouldn't be able to enhance my vocabulary, nor my RPing skills (I wouldn't even know what RP meant). This doesn't necessarily mean that by using difficult words the RP "messes up". It's the exact opposite (at least in my opinion), it makes you curious of the word's meaning and so on. So if you really do care to learn something, you can look it up. Plus having proper grammar and a flourishing vocabulary makes everyone's experience much better instead of just using this for instance: "Howl's claiming den/territory" or "growls at the other wolf".
I have to agree with Kamaal here, I love learning new and more difficult words, so I personally don't think it's a problem to put in fancier words. In fact, I think it shows that you are an educated person and that you can go beyond the "howls to claim den" thing. Honestly, it get's boring when people use the same basic vocabulary over and over, so I personally think that it's perfectly fine for the "pro RPers" can use their advanced vocabulary. But then again, it's my opinion, everyone is entitled to their opinion. But my point is that IMO, advanced roleplayers make the RP more interesting and can teach you a few things and expand your vocabulary.

Xela Winchester
Pup
Pup
Name: Nova

Post by Xela Winchester » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:57 pm

Kamaal wrote:
Lakagigar wrote:
It's not so much their advanced vocabulary as it is the "holier than thou" attitude that sometimes comes along with it. As long as they're not trying to seem "better than everyone else" I see no problem with these advanced words (plus it gives the opportunity to learn something new. :) )
"Are you chasing something, or running away?"
-The Outsider, Dishonored

RoyalNarcissist

Post by RoyalNarcissist » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:42 pm

Lakagigar wrote:
I have to say, I do agree with part of what you posted. I know English well enough to read some of the more complex works by some authors and by consequence, to spout back lines similar in their tone and verbosity. However, this does not mean I should.

There's people out there, who take pleasure in looking up new words and expanding their vocabulary. I know I do, whether it's archaic words, long words, short ones, etc. I love getting to know the definition of it. But we also have to acknowledge that not everyone is majoring in English Literature, has a dictionary beside them at all times or finds it fun to look up words at every interval.

Think about it, you're reading a book and you come across a word that you don't understand. In that case, you can underline it and look it up later, since you can comprehend the basic meaning of the sentence in context anyway, or, you can look it up immediately and I suppose reap the benefit of understanding the exact meaning.

Now here's the problem: this is a game, not a book. You're not writing the next Shakespeare or Ulysses. You can't underline words in a game. Sure you can write them down, but even then, you'd need the context in which they're in; the sentence or even the paragraph. It does indeed disrupt the flow of the roleplay when someone takes ages to answer because they're looking up all of those flowery words in your sentence, or they simply cannot understand and reply back with either nonsense or ask out-of-character what you meant.

I don't mean to force yourself to write in a lower level, but merely to take into consideration who you're roleplaying with. If you join into a roleplay where everyone is writing simplistic one liners, then how do you think they would feel when you slap down a huge chunk that sounds like it came right out of The Canterbury Tales? Now let's turn it the other way around. You shouldn't join a roleplay where everyone's writing in a very verbose style and simply mark down a meek sentence that stands out like ink on blank parchment.

The key is to know who you're writing for. You don't always have to "knock down" your language if you're with people who don't understand you. Sometimes all you have to do is follow George Orwell's advice and “[don't] use a long word where a short will do”. Don't over-complicate things and do take a more common approach. Most people don't talk to their friends in a very high standard of language, so take that level when roleplaying with people who have a lower level than you and be considerate of others. Something I would like is for people to mention their aptitude in roleplay before the actual act begins, then you know who you're dealing with and how to adapt.

A final thing I might add is that sometimes common words are simply better to use than to pull up a thesaurus for every single sentence. Not all of the words have to be different or shouldn't repeat. I think writers and roleplayers demonize simple words a bit too much. If you're more advanced than your audience, then you should try to engage them in a positive experience; show them that learning new words is fun. Do this by being legible and precise as long as they aren't afraid to think a little. You have to make sense to them in order to avoid losing the audience completely and appearing as pompous and a show-off.

Kamaal

Post by Kamaal » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:21 am

I think I found another player category.

The Braggers: Those people keep bragging about themselves, their accomplishments, the achievements they've earned, the points the have and so on. They always wish to be the center of attention when it comes to those things. I myself have met a few of them periodically throughout the game.

SilkenGalaxy

Post by SilkenGalaxy » Tue May 03, 2016 9:33 am

Kamaal wrote:I think I found another player category.

The Braggers: Those people keep bragging about themselves, their accomplishments, the achievements they've earned, the points the have and so on. They always wish to be the center of attention when it comes to those things. I myself have met a few of them periodically throughout the game.
Oh gosh, I didn't even know there were people like that in WQ! D:

Kamaal

Post by Kamaal » Tue May 03, 2016 9:35 am

Yes... sadly there are such people here as well... But the good thing is that you can mock them endlessly, it's quite fun to be honest, ahaha.

SilkenGalaxy

Post by SilkenGalaxy » Tue May 03, 2016 9:36 am

Kamaal wrote:Yes... sadly there are such people here as well... But the good thing is that you can mock them endlessly, it's quite fun to be honest, ahaha.
Haha! At least you can do that! xD

Nere
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Nere » Tue May 03, 2016 9:37 am

Kamaal wrote:I think I found another player category.

I've met a few of those... I dislike them entirely. Or people that are extremely rude to you in gameplay.
Будь бесстрашным храбрым и хитрым

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”