Has WolfQuest Taught You Anything About Wolves?

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, paperpaws, Frodo1

Has WQ taught you anything about wolves?

Yes, a lot.
33%
Yes, a little bit.
41%
No, not really.
7%
No, I already knew everything the game offered to teach me.
20%
I didn't care enough to learn anything.
No votes

Total votes: 46

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Re: Has WolfQuest Taught You Anything About Wolves?

Post by SolitaryHowl » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:01 pm

loboLoco wrote:Here's my favorite anecdote from the evaluation: We had a popup survey on the forum, which (among other things) asked people if they'd be willing to talk on the phone about WolfQuest. For those that said "yes," one of the researchers then telephoned them within 15 minutes. One time, the researcher got a girl on the phone who was so excited to get a phone call from WolfQuest, she was truly speechless for a minute. Tthe researcher had to wait until she collected herself and could answer some questions.
Awh, that's adorable!
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

Rytemk Aato
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Rytemk Aato » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:13 am

WQ didn't really teach me. While new to the game there was nothing I was surprised of or didn't seem to already know when playing. On the site I didn't even look for information at all nor did I even browse the forums much. Really WQ just built on my interest and motivated me to go and find out more about canines in general.

Code Healer
T h e. G r e a t. T r a v e l e r s. P a c k
We show up, we gonna show out.
« « « Sergill Scout » » »
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
sтιραηт єlємєηтσяυм
« « « « « « « » » » » » » »
∞∞∞ тнє ραcк σғ тнє єlємєηтs ∞∞∞
« « » »
PackSignature©BySinnedAshes

RabidLynx

Post by RabidLynx » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:19 pm

Actually, until Wolfquest I thought, like most people, that wolves lived in pack structures that consisted of ranks such as the Alpha, Beta, and Omega. Through Wolfquest I learned that a pack usually consists of two mates and their offspring. I doubted that at first and just thought that Wolfquest didn't know what it was talking about, but I saw more and more sources pretty anywhere confirming that packs don't work like we used to think they did. When researchers recorded behavior that suggested that is was common for a pack to have certain ranks, it was based on wolves in captivity. That's like researching people in prison and claiming that the results are "normal human behavior".

WQlf
Pup
Pup

Post by WQlf » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:54 am

When I first played WolfQuest I knew nothing about wolves or how they worked, I didn't even know about the inaccurate ranked life of wolves that so many had believed of. Because I knew close to zero info about wolves, learning about them was unavoidable, but I got confused when we went to the Rendezvous site. At first I thought the pup's were leaving to become lone wolves at the exact moment of the end and didn't understand how that would work because they looked way too young to fend for themselves. After a few replays and some research I found out that they remain with their parents and grow, though. I first joined the game in Amethyst Mountain Deluxe but hadn't bothered to try out multiplayer until 2014.

-FireBreaker-
Name: Fire

Post by -FireBreaker- » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:55 am

Yes, a little bit
·.·´¯`·.· ·.·´¯`·.·´·.·´¯`·.· ·.·´¯`·.·´
Wh¥ §hðµlÐ ï åþðlðgïzê £ðr hê mðñ§êr ï'vê ßê¢ðmê
ñð ðñê êvêr åþðlðgïzêÐ £ðr måkïñg mê hï§ wå¥
`.¸¸.´´¯`` .¸¸.´`.¸¸.´´¯`` .¸¸.´
:: av/sig © Lupin/Samber ::

DHumphrey
Pup
Pup

Post by DHumphrey » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:12 am

It did teach my quite a few things about wolves, since it actually gave me a "tour" of the wolf's life, putting myself into his life.
“Imitation is suicide.”
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Profile picture by Kyse (TheInfinite) (Humphrey from Alpha and Omega)
If I don't post in colour, it means I'm on mobile... just sayin'

SilkenGalaxy
Name: Alex

Post by SilkenGalaxy » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:15 pm

WolfQuest taught me a ton about wolves, like everyone else, I was under the wrong impression that wolves had ranks like Alpha, Beta, etc. but when I came across WolfQuest, I learned that wolves don't really have any strict hierarchies, as well as other interesting things about wolves, ex. When offspring are old enough, the either leave to start their own pack or they stay with their parents
Last edited by SilkenGalaxy on Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Masika
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Masika » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:20 pm

This is a good question. I believe I have learnt quite a significant amount about wolves from the project. Prior to encountering the project, I did have an interest in wolves and canines in general, although I did not know a great deal about them. With regards to how much I have exactly learned from WolfQuest, I would say that I have learnt about general concepts from the game (especially from the Slough Creek episode), but the vast majority of the knowledge I have obtained has come from the forums. When you take the time to read the topics around here, this website really is a great source of wolf knowledge and the fact that there are areas which give people the opportunity to ask questions about wolves (which they may have not been able to do so on other websites otherwise) really adds to that.
« A PRIVATE LIFE IS A HAPPY LIFE.»
•••
Icon (c) coyoteflu

AmberZeWolf
Yearling
Yearling

Post by AmberZeWolf » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:31 pm

I mainly learnt about hunting styles for wolf packs in multiplayer, and the rendezvous site, for the hunting styles it was pretty cool, some wolf packs I see in the game decide just go for the throat. But when I made disabled chat games, I normally go into orbit camera mode and watch how we hunt. It's usually look for the one who's falling behind, then go for it. Sometimes in some packs I manage to get we'd even go through all the phases of the hunt. It was pretty fun learning the possible tactics in this game since the hunting seems realistic aside from being able to just trap your elk in an obstacle, but I don't do it because I know wolves only attack by chasing. We even sometimes abandoned the hunt either one by one or all together and look for other options like bears. And due to the fact that wolves wouldn't actually kill grizzlies (I thought they did) they just tried to tempt the bear to run off. Ingame me and some other wolves in my server would do that. So I actually learnt a bit, but not a lot.
Taking your time when you can is key to a healthy lifestyle. You may have a set lifespan, but you don't have to rush yourself every second of it.

Pale

Post by Pale » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:29 pm

I learned quite a bit since I was young. I learn about wolf dens (Funny thing is when I first played WQ I made a pillow fort with some canine plushies and pretended to have a den and pack), how they hunt, how they care for pups and a lot about Yellowstone that I didn't know before. I also learn quite a bit from some documentaries I watched at the time so I can't say all the information was new, but it was more in depths since I actually got to control the wolf.

It's a pretty educational game I must say :D because of course that's what it's supposed to be.

ItsLiminal
Pup
Pup

Post by ItsLiminal » Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:21 pm

Nothing beyond the ranking habits of a wolf pack, or, that is, a lack thereof. However, the community taught me TONS more than the game itself did, especially when it came to wolf conservation issues. :-) I've always been kept very up-to-date because of the articles on the forums.

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: Call me Tsuri!

Post by Phasoli » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:33 pm

I had a bit of prior knowledge about wolves before I played Wolfquest, but through the experience of getting to play a simulation of realistic wolf life expanded my horizon beyond comprehension! Wolfquest was not what I had expected-I thought I would be introduced into a pack where I would have to earn leadership somehow. I never knew about the great journey wolves have to take to find mates and the great lengths they took to protect their pups. In my learning, one would say it was more hands on, and through this experience, I've learned that wolves to not form the commercial ranked packs, but a closely knit family unit.
||,.°`°.,,.°`°.,||ЖЖЖ||,.°`°.,,.°`°.,||
Writing is a job, a talent,
but it's also the place to go inside your head.
It's the imaginary friend you drink tea
with in the afternoon.
||,.°`°.,||Ж||,.°`°.,||
sig/quote © Kamaal/Ann Patchett

Flamesky
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Flamesky » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:12 am

One thing I learned from the game is that hunting elk is challenging and risky for wolves. Stronger elk will face wolves and attack them with their hooves, and a healthy elk can easily injure or kill a wolf.
<<<<<>>>>>
The wolf pack runs as one and together we are stronger
<<<<<>>>>>

Kitsuma
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Kitsuma » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:47 pm

No. When I played WQ regularly, I was in a big wolf phase and read a lot about them. Everything WQ teaches in game, I had already learned.
Avvie by me
Only those willing to listen may hold that passionate flame to lead others
Siggie by me
Like Warrior Cats? Come check out my RP Forum at: http://thelandofwarmmists.proboards.com/

Maddoka
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Maddoka » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:16 pm

Actually, I am not so sure. I was about 11 when I started, and I didn't know that much about wolves so I think the game taught me pretty much about wolves. But just without me really realizing it. :3
I did not know about the redevouz point though! I had no idea.
But I know multiplayer taught me stuff about wolves hunting in packs!
(Honestly, the mulitplayer taught me more about spelling English words correctly though. XD)
I WANTED TO CLICK PREVIEW!

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”