[2.7] Lost River Discussion [Spoilers]

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, paperpaws, Frodo1

alethe
Name: [REDACTED]

Re: [2.7] Lost River Discussion [Spoilers]

Post by alethe » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:40 pm

Wow! Love it so much. The city is great, eerie and wonderfully done. It just begs to have a story written about it.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I eat danger for breakfast!
Actually, I don’t. I prefer cereal.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

av/sig : lupe

duskypack
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Dusk

Post by duskypack » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:46 pm

Lost River seems to be a cross between Fallout and Wolfquest, and it's kind of freaky. I can see all the time you put into it!
¯~_°. .°_~¯
Night is now falling, so ends this day.
The road is now calling, and I must away.
Over hill and under tree, through lands where never light has shone.
By silver streams that run down to the sea.
¯~_°. .°_~¯

Lyrics - The Last Goodbye by Billy Boyd
(from the third Hobbit movie)
Av/Sig - Koa/Raven

altias
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Name: Rowan

Post by altias » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:53 pm

So excited about LR! I've explored maybed 60% of the map already. My only speculations about the lack of humans.... would probably have to do with flooding, or flooding caused by some sort of apocalypse? At last, WQ lore!!!

I've been playing LR on Bring it on! for about half an hour or more - I wanna stick around long enough to get 15k xp, if I can be that patient!

✦ ✧ follow the stars ✧ ✦
they / them or ae/aer pronouns | nonbinary | 23 years old
previously cosla27 | my deviantart | my wolfquest blog

Rifka
Pup
Pup

Post by Rifka » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:55 pm

I opened the map when I got into the Lost River, expecting it to be the size of AM. I was pleasantly surprised with how HUGE this place is.
Also, amazing views from the hills. I love how uneven the terrain is.
Hopefully I can get a group together this weekend to go explore.

Altias, I just saw that the beaver dam was built in Allison and thought "Hm... was it them that caused this apocalypse?" :P
Beautiful avatar was drawn by Okami Shiranui/WolFanny!

altias
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Name: Rowan

Post by altias » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:04 pm

Rifka wrote:I opened the map when I got into the Lost River, expecting it to be the size of AM. I was pleasantly surprised with how HUGE this place is.
Also, amazing views from the hills. I love how uneven the terrain is.
Hopefully I can get a group together this weekend to go explore.

Altias, I just saw that the beaver dam was built in Allison and thought "Hm... was it them that caused this apocalypse?" :P
Apocabeav? Beavocalypse?? Either way... I like it, haha. I think they just moved in after the humans 'moved out', so to speak. The intro text to LR says something about there not being any human scent left... so I'm definitely curious as to what would cause them to stay away, if not an apocalypse O:

✦ ✧ follow the stars ✧ ✦
they / them or ae/aer pronouns | nonbinary | 23 years old
previously cosla27 | my deviantart | my wolfquest blog

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:14 pm

altias wrote:Beavocalypse
Ahahaha, I like it. ;)
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

roguemoon
Yearling
Yearling

Post by roguemoon » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:40 am

(spoilers, be warned!)

Oh wow, managed to go explore a bit more. Climbed to the hilltop and followed the creek all the way up to the falls and it's so beautiful, those views are amazing. And I love the remnants of the human walking paths, the staircases and the waterfall-viewing decks. The terrain of LR is nice too, I like all the hills and deeps and steep slopes. Also, I noticed in Two-Step that the invisible wall is sort of 'hidden' in that instead of just running into a invisible wall and not being able to continue, instead it seems as if the hills are rocks are too steep to climb. It feels more natural. Not sure if it was intentional or not but I liked it a lot. The flooded homes were cool too, and I loved the beaver dams!

Now onto the town, just wow! I can't believe they made a while entire town to explore! I loved all the little details- store names, billboards, road signs, abandoned cars, trash blowing around, little run-down abandoned houses (and the little dog houses lol), the slightly creepy abandoned carnival, just everything. So incredible, just an amazing amount of detail. I was so busy exploring I didn't even realize there was a hunting ground right in the middle of it until I turned the corner and saw a whole herd standing in the middle of the road! Hunting downtown was definitely fun. And I definitely agree it has a bit of a post-apocalyptic atmosphere lol, just that creepy abandoned small town vibe. Especially with all the nature and wildlife taking over. I for one support the zombeaver apocalypse theory (or perhaps this means that WQ takes place after the apocalypse?? O.o *X-Files theme plays* would explain the lack of humans.) :mrgreen: oh, and I managed to find a small house (well, shack more of) that I could actually go inside! One of the yellow ones.

And gaaaah still so much to explore! I have barely touched the other half of the map. I'll definitely be spending a LOT of time doing that!

My only complaint about Lost River is that I can't jump onto the cars. My irresistible urge to jump onto cars will never be satisfied. I spent a good 5 minutes trying to glitch myself on top of the vehicle but...alas...no success.

TLDR: Lost River is super cool and a lot of fun to explore. And the zombeaver apocalypse is upon us.
"No matter where they are, the restless imagine being somewhere else."

paperpaws
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:56 am

Hahaha, pleeaase... I knew LR was going to cause some fun and interesting speculation, but zombeaver apocalypse? That is beyond my wildest dreams. You're heroes. :')

So glad to see people loving the map, and I guess it's nice in context with the Fallout hype as well (upside to all the delay we've had!)
wyrd bið ful aræd
* inactive until further notice due to time and hardware limitations

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:07 am

Thank you - I knew people would love LR! We've spent so much time testing it, tweaking it, the terrain has even been redone a few times. It even has its own separate skyboxes for all times of day!

But I gotta say, my favourite part of LR is my building. Just sayin'. ;)
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

roguemoon
Yearling
Yearling

Post by roguemoon » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:39 am

Found a nice, comfy couch to nap on lol: https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/540x3 ... ih4i6h.png

That sketchy writing on the garage doors is only feeding my apocalypse theory!

And whaat there's a building for you, Solitary? I must search for it!

EDIT:Found it! Also I just noticed the movie posters for the cinema and they gave me quite a laugh. I'm glad others remember the Moon Tree! (Moon Moon Tree killed me)

Kairah
Pup
Pup

Post by Kairah » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:52 am

Hahaha that movie building is fantastic! Please, don't feed the beavers... Global warning!!
And they shouldn't have! Those beavers in the middle of Allison Acres almost scared the life out of me!

Never expected Moon Tree to become an influence to the new game, haha, this is just too great.

Oh and
Roguemoon , I did manage to jump through cars :p
﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋
I dreamed I lived slowly...
...Slower than the oldest stone

﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋

SilkenGalaxy
Name: Alex

Post by SilkenGalaxy » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:03 am

SolitaryHowl wrote:
roguemoon wrote:I'm honestly blown away by LR. I can't even imagine how much effort went into designing the whole map. At first I thought there would just be the trailer and cabin and the little road lol. I'm amazed.

Also I love that you can search for a mate in LR! I've only had time to explore for about 10 minutes but I can't wait to see more. The map is beautiful and I'll be exploring for hours.

(Also, I love the addition of the swimming animation aaaaah so cool)
From the bugs I've seen, LR needed TONS of little tweaks (sometimes big tweaks), and sometimes had big problems. The terrain has been overhauled a few times as well, it used to be browner and steeper hills. I like it better this way.

Really glad you're enjoying it!

There are lots of easter eggs, see if you can find them. Hint: Look everywhere. ;)
Wow, must've been tough work overhauling and all that stuff.

Can't wait to get the game and sniff out the Easter Eggs!

Dorken
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Dorken » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:27 pm

roguemoon wrote:Found a nice, comfy couch to nap on lol: https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/540x3 ... ih4i6h.png

That sketchy writing on the garage doors is only feeding my apocalypse theory!
Oh man, now I gotta find that couch. Iloveit.

The writing on the houses honestly freaked me out a little bit haha. Was not expecting something like that, all mysterious and eerie. As soon as I read the first one, I was all, "Wait a minute..."
Kairah wrote:
And they shouldn't have! Those beavers in the middle of Allison Acres almost scared the life out of me!
Ooooh I've seen the beaver dams in the middle of the Acres, but are there actually beavers moving around? Or are they just implied to be living there after having taken over the puny mortal humans' neighborhood?
deviantArt | Wolf Comic Reviews | WolfQuest Blog
The Beaver Theory
Lost River will never be the same.

Kipcha28

Post by Kipcha28 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:39 pm

Dorken wrote:
Kairah wrote:
Ooooh I've seen the beaver dams in the middle of the Acres, but are there actually beavers moving around? Or are they just implied to be living there after having taken over the puny mortal humans' neighborhood?
They don't actually appear, but you can hear them inside the dam, and hear a tail slapping the water.
██████████████

roguemoon
Yearling
Yearling

Post by roguemoon » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:02 pm

Ok soo I found that sketchy BCE facility... That biohazard warning sign and the fact that they're doing some kind of crazy science in there (and that the whole thing is barricades) is definitely sketchy. I feel like it's a hint as to what happened in LR.

(So then this means instead of zombeavers it was genetically mutated beavers that destroyed the town and forced humans to flee? xD)

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”