Ideas for New Episodes/Future Updates

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, paperpaws, Frodo1

Selvin novaraptor
Pup
Pup

Re: Ideas for New Episodes V2

Post by Selvin novaraptor » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:05 am

Quikke wrote:Field Guide / Nature Log
  • A naturalist/field guide sort of function that lets you flip through it and view profiles of all the endemic wildlife in Yellowstone that's been included in the game.
  • Either an artist depiction (like an illustration) or a close up of the game model of the animal (useful for those we don't get to see up close).
  • Serves as an educative guide for the player as a person, to further expand their knowledge on the ecosystem wolves live in.
  • It can include hints and tips related to gameplay elements attributed to those animals (i.e. ravens and their proximity to carcasses, etc).
  • Can serve as a 'completionist' / 'collectible' sort of sidequest for the player, as they would have to identify and encounter every animal in order to fill it up.
  • Scent, sight, and hunting/catching animals (that can be hunted at least) add them to the log.
  • Ability to play the sound of animals while viewing them in the log, for easier identification (the birds are pretty hard to observe within gameplay, haha).
  • Accessible from the Title Screen and maybe Pause Menu.
  • Function is to give player more knowledge about Yellowstone wildlife in the game, to help them understand just what kind of world wolves live in.
  • Achievement trophy potential.
Animal Presence
  • Like the human item aesthetics, but more functional.
  • Things beyond scent puffs that give presence of other animals.
  • They can be identified in scent view and be markers of how close by that animal is, like a second tracking identifier the player can use in case scent is somewhat muddied.
  • Foot tracks, scratch marks on tree, etc.
Minor Aesthetic Things
  • Ability to investigate and identify things other than animals and carcasses with the scent view.
  • Something more related to enriching the world a bit by making it have more subtle substance, but can have gameplay use.
  • Options for the radio collar's state of rotation on the player wolf's neck. It looks a bit too perfect hanging down the center of the neck the way it does.
  • Animals other than wolves wearing radio collars.
I totally love this. Maybe a sort of dossier and hopefully observation mode when we're a flying camera invisible for animals as well?

Wolvesarelife994
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

New Tricks for the Pack: Improving MP functionality

Post by Wolvesarelife994 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:18 pm

I Have a GREAT idea!
Maybe you should add this:

Pack and loners, meaning you have to earn the right to be in the pack,
The person who makes the server will automatically be the alpha//leader.
The more people play, there can be juveniles, subordinates and stuff like that. The person who is alpha//leader can also be defeated and then another person can take over leadership. You should add this in towerfall with pack vs pack. RECAP:
Both packs can have and alpha.
Betas,
and more!
And the loners can also just be alone, but they are able to join a pack only on a leaders permission.
@LoboLoco

Windstrider
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Erick, Zhenya, Wind

Post by Windstrider » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:00 pm

Selvin novaraptor wrote:
Quikke wrote:Field Guide / Nature Log
  • A naturalist/field guide sort of function that lets you flip through it and view profiles of all the endemic wildlife in Yellowstone that's been included in the game.
  • Either an artist depiction (like an illustration) or a close up of the game model of the animal (useful for those we don't get to see up close).
  • Serves as an educative guide for the player as a person, to further expand their knowledge on the ecosystem wolves live in.
  • It can include hints and tips related to gameplay elements attributed to those animals (i.e. ravens and their proximity to carcasses, etc).
  • Can serve as a 'completionist' / 'collectible' sort of sidequest for the player, as they would have to identify and encounter every animal in order to fill it up.
  • Scent, sight, and hunting/catching animals (that can be hunted at least) add them to the log.
  • Ability to play the sound of animals while viewing them in the log, for easier identification (the birds are pretty hard to observe within gameplay, haha).
  • Accessible from the Title Screen and maybe Pause Menu.
  • Function is to give player more knowledge about Yellowstone wildlife in the game, to help them understand just what kind of world wolves live in.
  • Achievement trophy potential.
Animal Presence
  • Like the human item aesthetics, but more functional.
  • Things beyond scent puffs that give presence of other animals.
  • They can be identified in scent view and be markers of how close by that animal is, like a second tracking identifier the player can use in case scent is somewhat muddied.
  • Foot tracks, scratch marks on tree, etc.
Minor Aesthetic Things
  • Ability to investigate and identify things other than animals and carcasses with the scent view.
  • Something more related to enriching the world a bit by making it have more subtle substance, but can have gameplay use.
  • Options for the radio collar's state of rotation on the player wolf's neck. It looks a bit too perfect hanging down the center of the neck the way it does.
  • Animals other than wolves wearing radio collars.
I totally love this. Maybe a sort of dossier and hopefully observation mode when we're a flying camera invisible for animals as well?
Seconding both of these ideas! Adding on to the camera idea, maybe there could be an option to take pictures or videos of the animals and landscapes in the game, and in one of the menus (near the achievements or something) there could be a 'scrapbook' of the photos and videos the player has taken, with videos having a little play/pause/stop button. There could also be missions and achievements for taking pictures or videos of certain animals/things/etc, i.e. of things the birds are doing, or of herds' migrations and behavior during certain seasons.

As a tangent of the scrapbook idea, there could be another section of the scrapbook where each major life milestone for your wolf (and your wolf's pack) in the game could have its own captioned pictures and videos (of your wolf in the fall, your wolf and your wolf's mate posing together, like howling, wagging their tails, or standing next to each other looking at the camera, and there could be 'photos' of your pups and your pack during their various milestones, like newborn pups, pups getting a bit bigger, older pups, then teen pups and the teens learning to hunt etc).

This might be hard to do or a little bit extra, but there could be a default pose or action for the milestone photos and vids, and the wolves would be doing that default pose/action in the pictures and videos, but their appearance (pelt, radio collar, size, etc) would vary for each player so everyone would have a similar scrapbook but made unique by their wolves. There could be both the 'preset' one and a separate section for players' pictures and videos.

At this point I'm throwing a lot of variants of this idea out there, because it can't hurt, but the scrapbook could have an in-game backup and collection of a player's screenshots (and videos, if the video function is possible) and a player could tag them with things like 'pack', 'moose', 'pups', etc as well as add a title and a date, and they'd be organized in time order, but there would be a search bar where you could search for a keyword/tag, date, or title, to find them more easily. There could also be a share function and a public gallery, and a contest for best/funniest/etc. I think this would be a really cool way for players to look back on their in-game memories and moments and to share them with each other and the community.
We knew how to hold the beauty of old things
against the beauty of the new, losing nothing from either.

==================================================

Avatar by LupinzPack, sig quote is from Carve the Mark by Veronica Roth, sig colors by me using http://patorjk.com/text-color-fader/

TimberRaven
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf
Name: Telepathic Slime

Re: New Tricks for the Pack: Improving MP functionality

Post by TimberRaven » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:40 am

Wolvesarelife994 wrote:I Have a GREAT idea!
Maybe you should add this:

Pack and loners, meaning you have to earn the right to be in the pack,
The person who makes the server will automatically be the alpha//leader.
The more people play, there can be juveniles, subordinates and stuff like that. The person who is alpha//leader can also be defeated and then another person can take over leadership. You should add this in towerfall with pack vs pack. RECAP:
Both packs can have and alpha.
Betas,
and more!
And the loners can also just be alone, but they are able to join a pack only on a leaders permission.
@LoboLoco
I kind of like it. But already in the game now you are the leader, (though some people act like they rule all) but there is no fighting, as you know. Yes, I like the ideas, and I've just got another idea! Once you've made your wolf, you can take an optional quiz to see what rank of wolf you are. Based on the strength and stamina and speed, and based off the player's score, you will have a wolf rank. However, you can only be an alpha by hosting a game. If the player does really bad, has a very weak and slow wolf, will be a very low rank such as omega. And this quiz wouldn't be in-game, there would be a button in the corner in the menu where you select like load saved game, start a MP game, or join one. :wink:

TalaKnight
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by TalaKnight » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:18 pm

I think it would be super cool to interact with the other members.
1. Play fight
2. Groom each other
are the ones I would love to see

lightsx
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by lightsx » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:48 pm

TalaKnight wrote:I think it would be super cool to interact with the other members.
1. Play fight
2. Groom each other
I really like this idea too. I wish there were more interaction with other players. These two are at the top of my list as well.

Poa
Pup
Pup
Name: Twister

Post by Poa » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:37 pm

Maybe make a wolf coat option based off this wolf?

https://misadventureswithandi.com/wp-co ... k-wolf.jpg

It's so gorgeous and beautiful! And it'd look really cool in game :D As you can see, it's also a wolf from Yellowstone xD
Hello! I am Twister, a younger gal who found a cool wolf simulator through a popular YouTuber years ago, and sense downloaded WQ 2.7

(Wolf in my avatar is Orangeslice, founder of my pack, GlacierPack)

Kitsuma
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Kitsuma » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:56 pm

I agree on the grooming each other and more interactions with other player's wolves.

I would also like to see a little bit more PvP. It doesn't have to go overboard, but if there is going to be a Pack vs. Pack, it should definitely be added. Fighting over resources is something that happens often in the wild.
Last edited by paperpaws on Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: some posts from a devblog thread have been merged here, as indicated by the posts' subjects. my apologies for any confusion caused.

Paige3138
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

New Tricks for the Pack: Improving MP functionality

Post by Paige3138 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:47 pm

Frodo1 wrote:Ooooh, all of those sound like great ideas-- I can't wait to see them in action!

Maybe there could be a way to hide chat completely? That'd be nice for screencaps/whatever without turning off the HUD entirely...

Personally, I think it'd be fun to have minigames of some sort
[spoiler], though I'm not sure how possible it'd be to keep them within the bounds of realism. But if you're open to having some stuff "just for funsies" (maybe it could be clearly stated as such prior to playing), it could be kind of cool. Maybe there could be something like...

Some sort of tag game? You could do predators vs. prey or something-- possibly people could choose to be different types of prey animals or something (i.e. elk have a lot of health and can fight back, hares can't fight back but they're quick and hard to spot, etc.) and the goal is to hunt all the prey before time runs out. When all the prey have been caught, the game ends and predators win, but if the predators can't catch them in time then the prey win. Of course, this would involve people playing as animals other than wolves, but it's still a decently realistic option in many respects.

A scavenger hunt of some kind? Some sort of object could drop and you'd have to compete to see who could get there and find it first (drop locations could be randomized for each region so people couldn't predict it too easily), and players could accumulate points for each successful find. That's a bit more on the unrealistic side, but I think it'd be pretty fun, heh.

A pup-based minigame similar to the "grow your pups" mission where the goal is to feed your puppy to x weight before everyone else (but you also have to defend it from predators!)? Again, not the most realistic, but still kind of in the realm of possibility...

One time I tried coming up with a more complicated minigame called Infection that I aired a few episodes of on my YouTube channel... that was definitely more on the unrealistic side, but it was a ton of fun. It was extremely difficult to run without it being actually integrated into the game, though, but if a mode like this was ever added I bet it could be a blast. [link]

So yeah, minigames could be fun, but they might veer a bit away from the realistic side of things in some respects.

This is an excellent question, and I think I'll have to brainstorm a bit more... I may be back with more ideas later :P[/spoiler]
In the wild I think there have been times were wolf packs have played tag! For example chasing each other, steeling toys from each other (like bones and antlers and such) of course, these have been recorded in more younger wolves rather than wolves over the age of five or six, but I think that it would be a fun minigame while still resembling real wolf behavior.
Last edited by paperpaws on Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: not related to functionality. split and moved to Ideas for New Episodes.

Windstrider
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Windstrider » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:22 pm

TalaKnight wrote:I think it would be super cool to interact with the other members.
1. Play fight
2. Groom each other
And being able to groom your pups and play with your pups would be cool, and your pups could climb on you and your mate (or in MP, fellow pack members) and if you sit or lay down and are still for a while, they could pounce on you, mess with your tail, climb on you, or stalk/play-hunt you. That would be so cute. xD
Tonadoesstorm wrote:Maybe make a wolf coat option based off this wolf?

https://misadventureswithandi.com/wp-co ... k-wolf.jpg

It's so gorgeous and beautiful! And it'd look really cool in game :D As you can see, it's also a wolf from Yellowstone xD

Avatar by LupinzPack, sig quote is from Carve the Mark by Veronica Roth, sig colors by me using http://patorjk.com/text-color-fader/

synk
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by synk » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:20 pm

Have Canadian geese been suggested as a new prey animal? I think they would be interesting to see in the game and fun to hunt.

Selvin novaraptor
Pup
Pup

Post by Selvin novaraptor » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:34 am

1. Play fight
2. Groom each other
Maybe a play-fight duel that will let you earn EXP?

Windstrider
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Windstrider » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:39 pm

Selvin novaraptor wrote:
1. Play fight
2. Groom each other
Maybe a play-fight duel that will let you earn EXP?
Yass! And the wolves' stats could affect their fighting/sparring style (speed=agile, strength=hard-hitting, stamina=takes a long time to tire out, and can take harder or more hits)
synk wrote:Have Canadian geese been suggested as a new prey animal? I think they would be interesting to see in the game and fun to hunt.
And if wolves actually eat eggs, maybe the eggs could be sort of like the calf: extra food for your pups, but they'd be difficult to obtain.

Poa
Pup
Pup
Name: Twister

Post by Poa » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:04 am

For multiplayer, it'd be wonderful if people got a notifacations when someone on their friends list come online. I've only been a member for a couple of weeks, but I've already missed this function several times.
Hello! I am Twister, a younger gal who found a cool wolf simulator through a popular YouTuber years ago, and sense downloaded WQ 2.7

(Wolf in my avatar is Orangeslice, founder of my pack, GlacierPack)

ashenpines
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Kit

Post by ashenpines » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:12 pm

I suggest adding a new sound 'emote' to our wolves. Something that wont start a rally, like howling, but not as spamable as the whine and growl. I'd think a lot of us would appreciate it if we could bark. An alarm bark would come in handy in multiplayer when we're raising pups, since if you're too far away from the den you wont get a notification for say... a bear. It'd also save us time if we can't type what's happening.

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”