Ideas for New Episodes/Future Updates

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, paperpaws, Frodo1

DawnWings
Pup
Pup

Re: Ideas for New Episodes V2

Post by DawnWings » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:16 am

I think we should be able to eat coyotes, foxes and fish. I know the team has explained before that they don't want to add this feature because real wolves in Yellowstone don't do this very often, but the real wolves - would - freely do this if they were starving, so I think we should be able to do the same. Maybe the option should only be available if our wolf is really, really hungry and on the verge of dying, if the team feels that would better preserve the realism. It this does get added, adding the option of picking them up and carrying them would be neat.

For fishing, I could see this being implemented by having your wolf stand in the water, and pressing a button for a small chance of catching a fish. It would only add a little bit to your hunger meter, and could only be done so many times until a certain amount of time has passed to prevent players from taking advantage of it by spamming the command endlessly, but it would be helpful if your near water and your wolf is close to empty.

I just, it sounds like the game is going to be hard because of us only being able to kill young and small animals until we get a mate, so by adding the option of eating coyotes, foxes and fish it would make the game a little bit easier.

Pepper
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by Pepper » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:59 pm

Well, we are adding more prey (mule deer, beavers, bighorn...) and, as mentioned, baby ungulates. We will be sure the gameplay provides enough food so starvation isn't the norm. Wolves just don't eat other predators according to our experts who say they must not taste good compared to ungulates. Yellowstone wolves haven't adapted to fish, unlike wolves of, say, the Pacific Northwest so fish are lower on our wish list than, say, bison.
Pepper
WolfQuest Team Member

Shake your glitter.

AmberZeWolf
Yearling
Yearling

Post by AmberZeWolf » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:45 pm

I am pretty sure this has been suggested before, but I think having the ability to switch between walking and trotting would be nice. It would be like how you go from trotting to running in the current version, and running would be holding or simply pressing shift. If stalking ends up staying, then it can just be moved to a different key.
Taking your time when you can is key to a healthy lifestyle. You may have a set lifespan, but you don't have to rush yourself every second of it.

bostonlobstah
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by bostonlobstah » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:56 pm

hey there I don't have WQ but I have an Idea, take it with a grain of salt though as you can tell I'm a total noob :wink:

What if in multiplayer mode you could be a mother wolf or even a pup and eventually grow up...? As part of the raise pups game mode?

And how about newborn puppy models? :)

roguemoon
Yearling
Yearling

Post by roguemoon » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:44 pm

bostonlobstah wrote:hey there I don't have WQ but I have an Idea, take it with a grain of salt though as you can tell I'm a total noob :wink:

What if in multiplayer mode you could be a mother wolf or even a pup and eventually grow up...? As part of the raise pups game mode?

And how about newborn puppy models? :)

Playing as pups has been requested for years. The team has mentioned they're interested in adding it to the game someday, but it's pretty low priority.
I also recall them saying that having models for the newborns or a level where you can interact with newborn pups likely won't ever be added. Seeing as newborn pups pretty much just sleep, nurse and wiggle a bit, it would be kind of unnecessary to add in.
"No matter where they are, the restless imagine being somewhere else."

DawnWings
Pup
Pup

Post by DawnWings » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:34 am

What if in scent view the colors were based on a real wolf's partly color blind vision instead of being completely in black and white? It would be a neat little educational touch, especially since wolf vision is something people don't think about very often. I don't know what it would take to program, though.

DawnTilDusk
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by DawnTilDusk » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:21 pm

I'm not sure if this has been recommended yet (there is 50 something pages guys :,) ) but I thing quirky Elk/Mule deer! I was watching a YT video on WQ channel "You Had Me At A Play Bow" I think it was and I noticed some of the NPC wolves had their own quirks/ special traits. I was thinking maybe the same for Elk and Mule deer. Example: One Elk has a full set of antlers while the one over here, let's just call him Bob, has a partly broken set of antlers. I don't mean this for age, I think there is already obvious age differences between the elk, baby elk don't have antlers etc. etc. I mean like as from possible previous fights, scars, broken antlers etc.

rene-frankie
Pup
Pup

Post by rene-frankie » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:08 am

So i have some suggestions for the new game and it would be amazing if Dave would read these and consider it.
First suggestion: So you know how in scent mode, the camera switches to first person and the game turns black and white with the exception of scent trails? I think the scent mode should be like... basically the same but the scent trails should appear. like no black and white, no 1st person camera, everything stays the same except the colored scent trails appear. Or alternatively, since canines only have 2 color receptors, it could be like how a wolf sees the world? i'm sorry my english is so bad but what i mean is this https://mexicanwolves.org/uploads/images/dogvis.jpg so it could still turn 1st person but the colors should be the same as how a wolf sees. this video features an example of what i mean https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvkbQGOvjxo although i just read that wolves are completely colorblind in the wq wiki, im guessing that it's not scientifically proven yet?
Second suggestion: Since the new map is going to be huge, i think it would be amazing to explore it from the sky... We should also be able to play as an eagle. Yeah i know this is WolfQuest, not EagleQuest and the priority are wolves, but just think about it! Wouldnt it be incredible! I think it would be super fun. it doesn't have to be a full-fledged game about an eagle's life, it can be a like a side-game where the only features are flying, landing, walking and taking off. no health bars, no territories, just you as an eagle exploring the huge map.
anyway let me know what you think of my suggestions please!
Last edited by paperpaws on Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please don't use the text size feature for your entire post.

krispycat9
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Krispy

Post by krispycat9 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:12 pm

This idea is thinking way ahead, but for a future DLC, perhaps we can follow the lives of wolves in different parts of the world. More specifically, I was thinking the wolves of British Columbia. Why the wolves of British Columbia? Well, a few reasons:
- Many people have requested "Fishing" to be in the game. Wolves in yellowstone don't catch fish, but wolves in B.C do.
- B.C shares many animal species with yellowstone. It would make devolopment easier since some assets can be reused.
- The wolves there have unique adaptations such as the previously mentioned "Fishing". They also have a unique diet consisting of everything from moose to seals.
- B.C is beautiful. It has many diverse habitats, from temperate rainforests, to tundras, to rocky coasts.

So if there ever is some sort of DLC or update that focuses on wolves outside of yellowstone, I think the wolves of British Columbia would be perfect.

Mwitu
Pup
Pup

Post by Mwitu » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:35 pm

krispycat9 wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:12 pm
This idea is thinking way ahead, but for a future DLC, perhaps we can follow the lives of wolves in different parts of the world. More specifically, I was thinking the wolves of British Columbia. Why the wolves of British Columbia? Well, a few reasons:
- Many people have requested "Fishing" to be in the game. Wolves in yellowstone don't catch fish, but wolves in B.C do.
- B.C shares many animal species with yellowstone. It would make devolopment easier since some assets can be reused.
- The wolves there have unique adaptations such as the previously mentioned "Fishing". They also have a unique diet consisting of everything from moose to seals.
- B.C is beautiful. It has many diverse habitats, from temperate rainforests, to tundras, to rocky coasts.

So if there ever is some sort of DLC or update that focuses on wolves outside of yellowstone, I think the wolves of British Columbia would be perfect.
That's a good idea! It sounds like a fun place to play as a wolf and I had never given British Columbia in particular much thought, but it sounds interesting to me. :)

Selvin novaraptor
Pup
Pup

Post by Selvin novaraptor » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:15 am

Speaking of pups, some other games have a good example of baby animal experiences. Getting lessons from those other games may be a good way of refining pup and juvenile gameplay when it comes to adding those features. And here comes my other suggestions.

Insects causing problems - If you don't leave the infested area. you'll get a minor nerf

More interactable creatures

uninteractable creatures

Wolves and other creatures getting their winter coat

various NPC animals interacting with each other

Non-interactable people

predation attempt to players and mates from bears and cougars

ability to bond multiple mates

creatures actively responding to player and other creatures' behaviour, such as snarling

Mwitu
Pup
Pup

Post by Mwitu » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:21 am

I would like to be able to use "filters" on scrolling through Multiplayer games. It would help everyone - for instance:

Check the box for Text Chat/Phrase Chat; Raise Pups/Pack Life; Number of Players, etc. On WolfQuest's busier days, it would be helpful to have this feature.

Draugr
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Draugr » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:22 am

This isn't specifically an idea for a new episode, rather a minor idea to enhance the gaming experience.
I feel like when starting the game on Amethyst Mountain, all scents should be new to that wolf. This will give the player a bit of uncertainty and thrill once they discover what animal it belongs to. Then, from that moment on, the scent is known to that wolf for the rest of the game. This function could already be in the 3.0 update, but I thought I would post this anyway. :)

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: Call me Tsuri!

Post by Phasoli » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:00 pm

Draugr wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:22 am
This isn't specifically an idea for a new episode, rather a minor idea to enhance the gaming experience.
I feel like when starting the game on Amethyst Mountain, all scents should be new to that wolf. This will give the player a bit of uncertainty and thrill once they discover what animal it belongs to. Then, from that moment on, the scent is known to that wolf for the rest of the game. This function could already be in the 3.0 update, but I thought I would post this anyway. :)
I really like this idea! It completely adds a new layer to the exploration element already present in the game. Perhaps, with it, each discovered animal scent could later be displayed in a library of facts about the specimens. For more casual players, perhaps this could be a game mode or setting that can be toggled on or off per the player's choice.
||,.°`°.,,.°`°.,||ЖЖЖ||,.°`°.,,.°`°.,||
Writing is a job, a talent,
but it's also the place to go inside your head.
It's the imaginary friend you drink tea
with in the afternoon.
||,.°`°.,||Ж||,.°`°.,||
sig/quote © Kamaal/Ann Patchett

x1103
Pup
Pup

Post by x1103 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:30 am

Tiny details... Not sure if this is even relevant as WQ3 is going to be very different it seems, but when playing the current game, these things annoy me, well, maybe even more than a little:

- Pop-ups, they really mess up herding and sometimes almost get me or a pup killed if they happen in a very bad time like fighting a bear or when a coyote spawns, which is just a stupid way to die imo.
- The server list is so full of RPs it always makes me wish they were in a seperate list for people who want to roleplay. Sometimes the server names don't really say if it is an RP or not so seperate lists would help with that too.
- Maybe no one else has this problem, but I find the private message system weird and confusing and therefore never use it. Maybe one could even access it during gameplay or see a little notification (not the kind that gets anyone killed like with pop-ups) if someone messages you?
Nevermind me I just like to blah blah.

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”