Ideas for New Episodes/Future Updates

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, paperpaws, Frodo1

paperpaws
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: Ideas for New Episodes/Future Updates

Post by paperpaws » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:04 am

Due to both the content and the formatting of the first post being outdated, and to reflect many of the suggestions placed here, I have updated the first post and changed the title of this topic. Aside from those minor changes, business as usual in here! :)

AmberZeWolf
Yearling
Yearling

Post by AmberZeWolf » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:00 pm

I had an idea for Multiplayer. Since people love to roleplay in WolfQuest, I had the idea that maybe there can be a game mode for Multiplayer specifically for roleplaying so the other game functions would not intercept your game. The hunger and rest bar (as most recently told of in an update video) will be disabled, though health and energy will still stay for the sake of hunting or fighting other animals. While an idea like this can be exploited quite easily without precautions, my suggestion for this idea to counter exploiting the game mode would be to make it so you cannot gain experience while in this mode since it would be tweaked specifically for roleplaying, and not for grinding experience points.
Taking your time when you can is key to a healthy lifestyle. You may have a set lifespan, but you don't have to rush yourself every second of it.

Koycey
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Delia

Post by Koycey » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:28 am

I believe it should be possible to mod wolfquest single player, Imagine having mods!!?! There could be new wolf skins,dens and pups, sooo cool, i know it won't happen but it's a nice idea. ^-^
~BREATHE~

Rustic
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Rustic » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:35 pm

Posting a quoted suggestion I saw on the Beta Testing Thread as I thought it was an excellent idea!!
Lebron BMT wrote:the developers should consider floating scents to be present in 'normal' mode, and only animal tracks and ground scents to be viewable in scent mode when the player wolf is getting closer to another animal.
I used to play the old dos game Wolf and that game had a feature where you could get occasional whiffs of scent from nearby animals, as well as actively using the wolf's sense of smell to track and locate animals.

I always thought it would be great if wolfquest could somehow incorporate this and Lebron's idea is an excellent way of doing that! The floating scents in the air would alert your wolf in the same as the old dos wolf game would and then you can enter scent mode to more accurately track them if so desired.

mistya7
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Mist

Post by mistya7 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:51 pm

Hi, I hope you get this,

I think that your account and friend menu are amazing but could you maybe make the menu show the name and the wolf of the username you friended? I do not know which friends were who because their username is not the same as their wolf

x1103
Pup
Pup

Post by x1103 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:25 am

mistya7 wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:51 pm
Hi, I hope you get this,

I think that your account and friend menu are amazing but could you maybe make the menu show the name and the wolf of the username you friended? I do not know which friends were who because their username is not the same as their wolf
I could not agree more. It is hard to remember everyone anyway (sorry!) and well almost impossible if the name is different in the list from the name you used to call those people with.

But imo, as I said on the previous page, I do find the chat weird and awkward to use so yeah when one does not even remember who is who either, well, it's just terrible.... XD
Nevermind me I just like to blah blah.

Zawki
Pup
Pup

Post by Zawki » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:54 am

Rustic wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:35 pm
Posting a quoted suggestion I saw on the Beta Testing Thread as I thought it was an excellent idea!!
Lebron BMT wrote:the developers should consider floating scents to be present in 'normal' mode, and only animal tracks and ground scents to be viewable in scent mode when the player wolf is getting closer to another animal.
I used to play the old dos game Wolf and that game had a feature where you could get occasional whiffs of scent from nearby animals, as well as actively using the wolf's sense of smell to track and locate animals.

I always thought it would be great if wolfquest could somehow incorporate this and Lebron's idea is an excellent way of doing that! The floating scents in the air would alert your wolf in the same as the old dos wolf game would and then you can enter scent mode to more accurately track them if so desired.
This is an interesting idea. Maybe it could be something you can turn on and off in the settings or with the press of a button? I can imagine some people would rather not see scents floating around all the time, but I think it could help enhance the realism of the game. I'm sure real wolves would notice the occasional scent of another animal all the time, whether looking for it or not.
mistya7 wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:51 pm
That could be useful. I'd love it if it showed the last time someone logged on. This would help people sort through the friend list to prevent it from becoming cluttered with inactive people. There could also be a setting to stop that information from being shared, a lot like how the "hide online status" feature works on the forum.
┌────────────────┤├────────────────┐
When the sky is clear and day has turned to night,
the land is touched by a beautiful moonlight.
└────────────────────────────────────┘

Lebron BMT
Pup
Pup

Post by Lebron BMT » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:13 am

I suggest having floating scents in normal mode since wolves do view the world through their sense of smell as much as sight. Graphically I think it would look pretty to have lots of floating colors and give more life to the world so I don't think the floating scents would be obtrusive. Or perhaps activating scent mode just displays all those scents in normal view (in color), and turning it off just gives us the normal view with no scents.

I am not a fan of scent mode as it is (but maybe I'll change my mind after actually trying the new game) because it's very easy to spend extended periods of time in scent mode and I could see that being a common issue. Perhaps scent mode where everything is grayed out should exclusively highlight animal footprint tracks/blood tracks when an animal is injured.

Polynesia
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Polynesia » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:58 pm

I have a suggestion about sound tracking. The only means of finding prey is through scent, but wolves have really good hearing too, and there are so many animal sound effects in the game: elk bugle, coyote call, moose call, stranger wolf howl etc.

Instead of having a sound compass, which I think I suggested before but it would make the screen too busy, your wolf’s ears could turn to the direction of the sound, as an indicator to the player of where the sound is coming from. Like when dogs hear something (or any animal with moveable ears for that matter) their ears will rotate towards the noise to capture it better.

You would need about 4 to 8 small animations; north, west, south, east, and then it depends on whether you want the directions in between (northeast, northwest etc) for a higher precision, which makes 8 animations all together. Keeping in mind that for most of these animations only one ear will rotate, the exceptions being when the the sound is directly behind or in front of the player.

Idk, I think it would be nice to have more tracking options and make that aspect of the game more interesting, instead of always having to go into greyscale and look for coloured dots. Not that I don’t love the scent system. :)
Avatar (c) LupinzPack. Thank you. :)

Draugr
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Draugr » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:54 pm

Polynesia wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:58 pm
I have a suggestion about sound tracking. The only means of finding prey is through scent, but wolves have really good hearing too, and there are so many animal sound effects in the game: elk bugle, coyote call, moose call, stranger wolf howl etc.

Instead of having a sound compass, which I think I suggested before but it would make the screen too busy, your wolf’s ears could turn to the direction of the sound, as an indicator to the player of where the sound is coming from. Like when dogs hear something (or any animal with moveable ears for that matter) their ears will rotate towards the noise to capture it better.

You would need about 4 to 8 small animations; north, west, south, east, and then it depends on whether you want the directions in between (northeast, northwest etc) for a higher precision, which makes 8 animations all together. Keeping in mind that for most of these animations only one ear will rotate, the exceptions being when the the sound is directly behind or in front of the player.

Idk, I think it would be nice to have more tracking options and make that aspect of the game more interesting, instead of always having to go into greyscale and look for coloured dots. Not that I don’t love the scent system. :)
This is a great idea! Couldn't have said it better myself. This would enrich the game by not only adding another of the five senses, but by subtly indicating to the player that focusing on the behaviour of the wolf is vital. It may get overlooked by new players, but they would then learn to recognize and master the wolves' body language. However, I do like the separation of the scent and third-person mode. I feel like the colourful scents would detract from the natural environment too much, and potentially distract the player. A sound compass is a cool idea, which could be implemented into scent mode. However, if it were added I think there should be the option to turn it off. Just in case the player deems it unnecessary.

Zawki
Pup
Pup

Post by Zawki » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:11 am

I had never really thought about this much until now, but I think spellcheck (with the red line, like how it is on the forums) could be very useful when typing in the multiplayer chat.
┌────────────────┤├────────────────┐
When the sky is clear and day has turned to night,
the land is touched by a beautiful moonlight.
└────────────────────────────────────┘

Dinoman9877
Pup
Pup

Post by Dinoman9877 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:00 am

So I was thinking about how multiplayer in 3.0 is going to end up working out. People are going to be hunting, fighting, fleeing, and in general it's going to end up being rather insane, especially when hunting. I'm going to point out now that I haven't read through this whole thread, so if someone has suggested something like this already, I apologize.

The elk herds seem to be able to have twenty or more individuals so far, and who knows how big those herds can get? ...Well, the developers do, currently, but you get the point...well heck now I also have the idea of elk herds becoming overpopulated if they aren't being hunted enough, and it would be interesting to see if they could be driven to rarity or even total (local) extinction if they're hunted too much. Maybe in harder game modes?

Back to the original point: There's gonna be a lot of elk to sort through for a target when going hunting. Some may simply go for the one that falls in the back, others will be trophy hunters and look for a huge bull, and yet others may look for cues of illness or injury and want to go for the ones that won't put up that much of a fight. In all these cases...that's gonna be a lot of elk to sift through, and it might be hard to home in on a target effectively with no quick way of communicating.

It would be interesting if the player in single player, or the host in multiplayer, could put a 'target' on a specific prey animal that shows up for all pack members, basically saying: "This is the one we want, go for it!"

As far as multiplayer goes, this obviously won't force people to target that elk, that will be a matter of desire to cooperate, but it WILL help a pack in knowing which elk to go for in the heat of the chase, something that may be a bit more difficult to convey otherwise and could end in a lot of confusion with people all trying to bring down their own elk.

But in single player, this could actually tie in to affinity with your mate. Your mate could be less inclined to listen to you, depending on their personality and the affinity gained, and may instead target the prey animal they think is best to hunt, giving another window into their personality and another point of reference for if that wolf would be one the player would want to have as a mate.

*Popping in an edit here because I don't want to double post!*

So I just had another idea pop into my head. What if the game would have a random chance to spawn in the wolves you create as part of one of the existing packs or as wanderers, alone or with the mate you'd have picked up playing as that wolf? Obviously your wolves had to come from somewhere, and it would add a little bit of an unexpected joy to be able to run into them either before or during their journeys to find their own mate and found their own packs, and even moreso to compete with them.

The idea came to me when I made two male wolves, Bruiser and Hulk, who I think would be bitter rivals should they ever meet. It would be amazing if, playing as one or the other, I could meet that wolf I imagined as a rival in the game, knowing they'd be there constantly as the other wolves are, and see how the relationship evolves over time and ultimately ends if one ends up passing away, or finally being dispatched in a fight to the death.

I can't imagine it would be too hard to implement, as, if I'm not mistaken, there's already a 'wolf generator' for dispersal mates. By virtue of creating the wolf, you've already outlined basically everything the game needs. The game knows what it looks like, what it sounds like, and because you can edit the personality, what it acts like. All it has to do is take that, make it an NPC, and put it in the game.

Windburn
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Elk vs wolves multiplayer

Post by Windburn » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:53 pm

Was wondering if anyone may have brought this up. I would like to see the option as playing as a elk. Basically you interact with the npc's and other players in the herd. You cannot talk to the wolves. You cannot talk to other elk players. You graze, have a energy bar and thirst bar. Your job is to stay in the herd, stay alive, dodge the wolves and defend your calf perhaps. It would give a interesting view of the predator / pray role in the wild... just a idea for a multiplayer option.
:mrgreen: :moose:

DinoDogDude209
Pup
Pup

Post by DinoDogDude209 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:55 pm

I believe I posted some suggestions like these on the steam page a while back, but they got buried in all the other ideas posted there, so I figured I'd post some on here as well. I think the Lost River map could use some upgrades. The current map does have some weird graphical glitches and frequent lag spikes because of the complexity and unstable terrain. I'm hoping that such problems will be mostly fixed in WolfQuest 3 with the newer, improved rendering techniques being used. While I know that the Yellowstone maps that are part of the main campaign are getting most of the attention right now, I think the fictional Lost River map deserves some love too, especially with how much potential Lost River has. So, these are my suggestions and ideas for the map.

Map exclusive animals: Considering that the Lost River map takes place outside Yellowstone, I think some new animals that would only be found in Lost River could help to differentiate it well. Brown rats would be good for this, as rats fit the abandoned city theme very well. They would be seen roaming the alleyways and streets of the downtown area, scavenging from the player's kills. Feral cats would also work in this regard. A black cat can be found perched outside the police station in the current map, implying that there is probably a population of feral cats in the abandoned town. These cats would hunt the rats roaming the streets, their owners now long gone. In the same sense, feral dogs would also fit the theme of the map, roaming around the abandoned town and scavenging like the coyotes do.

More Easter eggs: Lost River has many easter eggs, from references to the development team to community jokes, these are always fun to find. More easter eggs like those would be good to see in the new map. Perhaps some references to other games could be added too, or some references to rumors about the game.

An expansion of the map entirely: The new Amethyst and Slough Creek maps in WolfQuest 3 will be several times bigger. As such, I think that at some point the Lost River map should be expanded as well. This would probably have to be in an update after WolfQuest 3 and Tower Fall are released, but I think it should be done nonetheless. Any landscapes beyond the current map should probably be based on the background scenery visible in the current map unless those background landscapes are going to be changed entirely. I've also already posted some of my suggestions for expanding the Lost River map over on the steam page, but I'll share them here as well.
1. A valley beyond the Back Forty area of the map, which would have some abandoned settlements and human detritus similar to those in the town in the current version of the map. This area would be much more rural though. Wheat fields and pastures would cover much of the valley, with farmhouses, grain silos, barns, and old tractors dotting the landscape. There could also possibly be some oil fields, as many oil wells can be found in the current map, implying that the entire area could have been located on a large oil deposit. This valley would have been abandoned around the same time that the town was abandoned. The old wheat fields and pastures would now be overgrown with weeds, wildflowers, and young conifers, while all the buildings would now be covered in vines and moss as nature reclaims the landscape.
2. The Green Hills, an area similar to The Burn in the Amethyst Mountain map. Once a lush forest, this area would have been ravaged by a horrific wildfire, leaving many dead trees and fallen logs throughout the area. However, life would have returned at some point. Mosses and grass would cover the once scorched hillsides, and a super bloom would have occurred not long after the wrath of the fire, leaving the landscape covered in beautiful wildflowers. Streams would run through the area, where young saplings would have taken root not long after the area was burned. This area would be home to herds of elk that would be attracted by all the new plant life in the area. It would be similar to the landscape surrounding Mount St. Helens after the volcano there erupted, with nature slowly returning to the area.
3. An abandoned trailer park, secluded somewhere in the forest. Once home to many people, the forest would have engulfed the area as nature, as usual, reclaims what once belonged to man. The trailer park would be trashed, indicating that whoever lived here left in a hurry. The reason for the abandonment of this location would be unknown.
4. An abandoned prison, which was once the home of the criminals of Lost River. This prison would have been flooded at some point, as standing water would now be found in parts of the prison, similar to the flooding seen in the Allison Acres location in Lost River. The prison would have been abandoned a long time ago, and it would now be overgrown and the walls of the prison would be crumbling. This could be a very atmospheric and creepy place for players to explore.
5. Open up an area above the waterfall at the Two Step location in the current map. A mountainous area would be found there, perhaps with some abandoned mines in the mountains. Maybe players could find the source of the river that feeds into the waterfalls at The Two Step here. Some old wilderness cabins could be found in the area, and maybe some old campsites as well. There could also possibly be a raised set of railroad tracks running through this mountainous area, which would now be crumbling due to the railway not being used or repaired in years due to Lost River being abandoned.
6. Similar to the idea of opening up an area above the Two Step, maybe the map could be expanded below the large manmade dam near the bottom right edge of the map. Players could possibly go out onto the dam itself and explore an abandoned hydroelectric power plant. There would also be a gorge below the dam that the river would continue through, and some surrounding wilderness as well, maybe with a forested area where some abandoned logging camps and lumber mills could be found.
7. Expand the map beyond Baer Bluffs in the current map. The road that goes through the tunnel in the current map could
be continued into this area. The road would cross a bridge that would extend across a river here, sort of like the bridge near downtown in the current map. However, this bridge would have collapsed, meaning that players could not use it to easily cross the river.
I have many more ideas for what could be added to Lost River if the map were expanded. However, I don't want this post to be too long, and some of my other ideas are pretty complicated, so I won't post them here. I just feel like the Lost River map has a lot of potential to be expanded, especially because it is a fictional map, so the team wouldn't have to base everything off of a real location like the Amethyst Mountain and Slough Creek maps. Of course, as I have stated before, this sort of update or expansion would probably have to come in the future, after WolfQuest 3 and Tower Fall are released.
Last edited by DinoDogDude209 on Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Loach
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Jess

Post by Loach » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:16 pm

- Ability to toggle grid marks on the map. On the new map they're very large but completely obscure the actual landscape present in those portions of the map. It'd be nice to be able the view the whole geography to look for landmarks.

- The map view in the Stranger Danger video had custom marker symbols. If it's not currently possible, it'd be nice to be able to name them!

- Eagle presence in the sky and at carcasses in Amethyst Mountain. Maybe hunting hare. Likely mentioned before but it'd still be nice.

- Some animals taking more damage from a bite than usual. Could be further emulation on illness or age in the animal, where they are weaker and easier to wear down, instead of just their hp just being slightly less than the rest.
DeviantArt
returning member from ancient times

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”