Ideas for New Episodes/Future Updates

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, paperpaws, Frodo1

DinoDogDude209
Pup
Pup

Re: Ideas for New Episodes/Future Updates

Post by DinoDogDude209 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:30 am

More wolf coats with scars and mange. Currently, only a few of the wolf coats have versions with scars or mange, and I'd like to see a few more of the base coats be given these customized versions. More wolves based off of real Yellowstone wolves would be great too!

Concord Dawn
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Concord Dawn » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:42 am

Heya not sure if anything has been already mentioned or already implemented (tried to not be repetitive) but here are a few ideas I thought worth mentioning. Kinda a long post haha but I am really excited for the possibilities of WQ3 :D

To start off I think it would be a great implementation if we had a greater diversity of animal life, consisting of bigger and smaller animals. A few such as bobcats, lynx, badgers, or beavers, otters, black bears, wolverines, bighorn sheep, mountain goats, bison, caribou or pronghorns etc. (Depending the location) A few of these would really add to the immersion of a living habitat and ecosystem.

Also introducing smaller meals such as mice, rodents, voles, gophers, ground squirrels, snakes, nests, roots or shrubs that you can sniff out and dig up would add to the immersion as well. These spots can have a scent indicator and via the interact button your wolf can dig up and a notification will say something like you found a __nest or mouse burrow. Or even snatch a fish such as salmon out of a shallow river. These can be a quick and easy snack to help you get by just a lil bit longer.

Also when journeying I found it difficult to find food for my pups and myself when we were all traveling together back to our summer spot, and the pups were following my every move. I think it would be helpful to have the ability to command pups to hide in brush, under a log, near rocks or some other suitable spot to hide while you go hunt. The spot you choose to hide them while you are away can have diff levels of how well hidden they are from danger, and you must decide to find a better spot or have them stay there and wait for your return. And you can choose to either go get them or howl for them to come to you.

Another idea would be to have your mate also bring you food if you are taking care of the pups and have to stay put, as wolves rely on their mate to provide food during this period as well.
Also when prey is small enough to transport, if we can have the ability to bring it to the pups location to eat and or bring meat to a custom location and bury it for later use, known as “food caching”

A couple other ideas are the wolfs coat changes with the seasons, such as color and density. When winter comes wolves get their winter coat and shed the fur as winter ends and the new season begins, all the way through to summer.

Also beside the in game ability to sleep and fast forward to a time of day also have a real time day/night cycle and more weather occurrences such as rain, thunderstorms, cloudy days or fog. These can influence the success of hunts. Aiding or hindering, finding prey or prey smelling or seeing you. Also weather effects on the terrain during hunts. Such as packed snow can aid your wolf as its feet are webbed and better designed for running on snow, basically your paws will perform like snowshoes and carry you effortlessly over the surface. While the hooves of the prey will make them break through the crust and become bogged down in deep snow. Or soft or melting snow will be like slush and make you slower running through it etc. Or a wide-open plain favors the hoofed prey, who, if full-grown and healthy, can outrun the fastest wolf. This element will make you observe, take into consideration and think of strategy. As you play you will get a feel of the situation, learn, grow and adapt better tactics as the seasons change or wait for a better opportunity if the weather or terrain isn’t in your favor. Just like wolves in real life must strategize and adapt.

And if possible, during hunts be able to issue commands to your mate or pack for better hunting tactics and co-operation. For example, your mate or pack can help you cut off escape and begin herding the prey. Or even automatically select the slowest and weakest animal of the herd for you and separate it from the rest. Or you can use your scent to determine the best choice when scoping the herd because apparently wolves can sense or smell the sick, dying and wounded. As you make your choice your pack can follow your lead. Something like that would make the hunt more engaging because if you make the wrong choice then the hunt can have consequences (if you chose to go after a healthy adult you can die, get injured or lose the hunt and go hungry)

Another idea would be a once you have one, you can howl or order your mate/pack to surround or harass the prey such as darting back and forth in front of prey, causing distraction, confusion and preventing escape, and let it tire out before moving in close and tackling. Perhaps this can be an unlocked skill as you and your pack learn more tactics or become more experienced at hunting and teamwork and the closer you bond the better chance at a successful hunt as you pass down skills/train the younger generation, establish pack culture and grow together as a unit and family.

Maybe include more social bonding sessions with your pack, such as taking your pups out on their first hunt when they come of age, letting them observe or participate. Or as your pups grow into young adults and begin to assert themselves, basically teenagers your job as the parent is maintain order and cohesion. Other bonding elements can include nurturing the packs sick and caring for injured companions. Teaching your pack new and unique techniques that you and your mate learned before. And establishing a unique pack culture on your own. Conquering and defending territory from other packs. Your pack helping you patrol, guard your territory. Celebration or victory howls after a major battle that maybe will boost affinity or give a type of buff. Like confidence or something. Or even comforting your pack or mate to re establish bonds and security. Just be more in tune with your packs social well being.

After a long and exhausting hunt or run maybe have your wolf pant when tired.

All in all this is a amazing game, and I am so happy to have found a game that shares my interest in the dynamics of nature surrounding the wolf. I just recently joined the Wolf Quest community and am glad to be here. Really excited to see where the game goes from here :D

elkhunter123456
Yearling
Yearling

Post by elkhunter123456 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:34 am

here are a couple of my idea's. *(although wolfquest is great and 3.0 will be even better!)
Bears could fish for salmon

golden eagles would also eat the carcasses

In episode 4 (i imagine that would be set in slough creek and would be when bison are added) maybe the yearlings from last year could help take care of pups.

Wolverines as mentioned by Concord Dawn. they would have less health then your wolf but would be very aggressive and fight till the death

These are just idea's. by no means do you have to add them. Wolfquest would still be awesome if you do not add them :P
Edit: AI predators fighting Other AI prey and predators.
Last edited by elkhunter123456 on Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Im done posting for now. there are not enough topics to post on :cry:

x1103
Pup
Pup

Post by x1103 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:14 am

I like many ideas posted here but Concord Dawn mentioned some I could not agree with more. To be able to tell the pups not to follow you everywhere would be so helpful! Pre-hunting of course solves the problem but it would be a lot more fun to just actually hunt while on the journey. Or if the mate would make itself useful and bring food.

Panting - agree with you so much on that too!

Teaching the pups things would also add a lot to the gameplay. It only makes sense that when they're older they'll start their lessons on "how to wolf".
Nevermind me I just like to blah blah.

Wolvixx
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Re: Weathering Heights

Post by Wolvixx » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:41 pm

Not really sure where to post stuff about the game and things you could add, but I'll do it here. (not sure if it will get seen though).

I love the idea of dawn rising and fog rolling in amongst the mountains. But I would really love to have something. Like as you're on a cliff side, watching the sun rise and it looks all hazy on the hills, you hear the echoing sound affects of a bull elk in the distance? Not much. But it would really add alot to the aesthetic of the game, and its just something I think would be an easy add!

Hope someone from the team sees this and takes it into consideration?
Last edited by Neamara on Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Post merged into a more appropriate topic.

katlove
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Kat

Post by katlove » Tue May 28, 2019 1:09 pm

So sorry if this has been mentioned before, but a hearing system would be really nice! It could be like scent view but with sounds. Press a key, your wolf slows down and sounds are amped up, and the music is turned way down.
An example would be, if you are looking for elk, and if they are close by, then you would hear them in "sound" view. It could be like the scents but instead of little orbs of smell, it would be sound waves.
} I had a dream... ------{
-------of the wide open prairie
I had a dream.... of the pale morning sky

-Bryan Adams

DinoDogDude209
Pup
Pup

Post by DinoDogDude209 » Wed May 29, 2019 6:03 pm

I think a better indication that a player is afk would help out with multiplayer functionality. I've noticed this problem a lot while playing WolfQuest. If a player in a server has to go afk and doesn't have time to let everyone know, it becomes more difficult for everyone else, especially if you're trying to do a pack rally. Whenever a player has been inactive for over five minutes (meaning they aren't typing in chat or pressing any buttons) an indication that the player is afk would come up, perhaps their name tag would change color, or maybe they would be listed as "Idle" in pack stats. This would help to prevent other players from getting confused about whether a player is currently active.
In addition to indications that a player is afk, I think something should be done to prevent new players from being able to join a server in which the host is currently inactive. I've noticed that this can cause problems, and here is an example:
A few months ago I opened a Roleplay server on the Lost River map, and there were five other players in the server. We had been roleplaying for about thirty minutes when I suddenly had to go afk because I had to go eat lunch. I told everyone else in the server that I would be afk for a little while. However, after I ate lunch, I forgot that I had left the server running, and I took a two hour nap. By the time I remembered that the server was still running, I had been afk for four hours. I went back to my computer to check on the server, and everyone who had been in the server before had left. Several players had joined the game during that four hour period, and they had all left not long after joining when they realized that I was afk and the server was inactive. However, after looking back through the chat log, I noticed that many of these players seemed very frustrated when they joined and tried to chat with me only to get no response. I felt pretty bad because all these players had joined the server during that time frame only to find out that they were wasting their time by doing so. When I saw this, I immediately closed the server.
So, to prevent these sorts of inactive servers being joined by new players who become frustrated when the host is unresponsive, I think that once a server host has been afk for over twenty minutes, the server should automatically close to prevent new players from joining and wasting their time like that, sort of like how players who kick excessively have their servers closed to new players in the current game.

Selvin novaraptor
Pup
Pup

Post by Selvin novaraptor » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:09 pm

Polynesia wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:58 pm
I have a suggestion about sound tracking. The only means of finding prey is through scent, but wolves have really good hearing too, and there are so many animal sound effects in the game: elk bugle, coyote call, moose call, stranger wolf howl etc.

Instead of having a sound compass, which I think I suggested before but it would make the screen too busy, your wolf’s ears could turn to the direction of the sound, as an indicator to the player of where the sound is coming from. Like when dogs hear something (or any animal with moveable ears for that matter) their ears will rotate towards the noise to capture it better.

You would need about 4 to 8 small animations; north, west, south, east, and then it depends on whether you want the directions in between (northeast, northwest etc) for a higher precision, which makes 8 animations all together. Keeping in mind that for most of these animations only one ear will rotate, the exceptions being when the the sound is directly behind or in front of the player.

Idk, I think it would be nice to have more tracking options and make that aspect of the game more interesting, instead of always having to go into greyscale and look for coloured dots. Not that I don’t love the scent system. :)
prey sound and other indicators being overly large or overt all the time will cause some frustrated players. my suggestion is that prey sound and other indicators can be more and clearly noticable when you turn the scent view mode on and be less noticable, much like when a human would be able to notice when you turn the scent view mode off.

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”