Ideas for Future Updates

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

DaniBeez

Re: Ideas for New Episodes/Future Updates

Post by DaniBeez » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:56 pm

I'm unsure if this is a bug or not, to be honest. But I noticed that the wolf model seems to have a stark red color behind the eyeballs, at least when the graphics are set to "Fastest":

EDIT: I just found out about the in-game reporting feature (pressing F11). I did that instead!
DaniBeez
___Community member since 2010
___Avatar by Sambhur

Rebela
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Rebela

Ideas for WQ3 PHOTOMODE

Post by Rebela » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:28 am

I actually have a suggestion or two for the photomode!

- When your wolf is sleeping, have an option to remove the vignette! I want my wolf's eyes closed AND to see the whole background, please!
- When zooming in on your wolf, if you get too close it zooms to the shoulders rather than closer to the face or body itself. Maybe have a more gradual way to zoom?
- If keybinding will be a thing in the future, I'd like that! It'd help me not lose a hunt because I'm pressing 4 keys at once like a weird game of Twister for fingers.

Have a nice day all! <3
"Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves."
SteamDeviantARTToyhou.se

sirwayl
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by sirwayl » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:31 pm

I remember seeing this idea on the WQ youtube channel, so it's probably somewhere here. I have more input and ideas for it though, so it's not just a repost. Basically, they said discovering plants for achievements.
My idea for this, is having an unlockable encyclopedia of every plant/animal/herd/pack/tree/etc. Basically anything in the game could be unlocked in this encyclopedia, there could be a section for pup genetics too for the slough creek episode.

This would encourage exploration, and giving players a separate goal/s to the main ones, and would be very educational because it would mention a lot about Yellowstone. (At least for anything in the game.)

To unlock plants, you'd pee on them, same for trees, flowers, etc. Drinking from the river could unlock a page about the Lamar River. Going to certain locations such as the Fossil Forest or the Lamar Valley could unlock pages about their history, such as the valley being where wolves were reintroduced to Yellowstone. To unlock animals, you must have a successful hunt. Same with predators. Killing a wolf from a pack would unlock a page about their pack.

I think being able to find every page in the encyclopedia would be very satisfying, players could be rewarded via achievements - Find an Encyclopedia Page / Complete the Encyclopedia / Find all Wolf Pack Encyclopedia Pages / etc

Players could also be rewarded with some EXP for finding pages.

The cons would be a lot of reading, but I think kids who genuinely want to learn about the wolves will read a lot of it. Even if no one actually reads it, it still encourages players to try to discover more of the game world.

Rebela
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Rebela » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:39 pm

sirwayl wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:31 pm
I remember seeing this idea on the WQ youtube channel, so it's probably somewhere here. I have more input and ideas for it though, so it's not just a repost. Basically, they said discovering plants for achievements.
My idea for this, is having an unlockable encyclopedia of every plant/animal/herd/pack/tree/etc. Basically anything in the game could be unlocked in this encyclopedia, there could be a section for pup genetics too for the slough creek episode.

This would encourage exploration, and giving players a separate goal/s to the main ones, and would be very educational because it would mention a lot about Yellowstone. (At least for anything in the game.)

To unlock plants, you'd pee on them, same for trees, flowers, etc. Drinking from the river could unlock a page about the Lamar River. Going to certain locations such as the Fossil Forest or the Lamar Valley could unlock pages about their history, such as the valley being where wolves were reintroduced to Yellowstone. To unlock animals, you must have a successful hunt. Same with predators. Killing a wolf from a pack would unlock a page about their pack.

I think being able to find every page in the encyclopedia would be very satisfying, players could be rewarded via achievements - Find an Encyclopedia Page / Complete the Encyclopedia / Find all Wolf Pack Encyclopedia Pages / etc

The cons would be a lot of reading, but I think kids who genuinely want to learn about the wolves will read a lot of it. Even if no one actually reads it, it still encourages players to try to discover more of the game world.
Oh yeah, that sounds epic!
That really gives people a drive to interact with all the different animals and nature!
But, what about animals you can't attack, such as eagles, crows, etc.? How would you get their pages?
"Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves."
SteamDeviantARTToyhou.se

sirwayl
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by sirwayl » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:26 pm

Rebela wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:39 pm
sirwayl wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:31 pm

Oh yeah, that sounds epic!
That really gives people a drive to interact with all the different animals and nature!
But, what about animals you can't attack, such as eagles, crows, etc.? How would you get their pages?

I think maybe being within a certain proximity to them could unlock it. Since Eagles and Ravens will land near carcasses and don’t always fly off, being very close to them would make sense to unlock their pages, or chasing them off could unlock it.

OhOslo
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by OhOslo » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:59 pm

Rare Albino/Piebald Achievement:
I've spoken to a few people who agreed on the idea that it could be worth considering including Albinism as a very rare possible trait for prey to spawn with and could serve as an exciting moment (or achievement) for players upon locating the 'Moby Deer' of sorts. Of course, I'd only imagine there's a minuscule chance of it spawning (0.5-to-5%) admits an already existing herd, making it unlikely that players would see one on their first or second playthrough, but not entirely impossible.

This is nothing more than a small, neat little idea that I'd imagine to be rather easy to implement when achievements are considered given that it would only really need a reskin rather than a unique model!

Rebela
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Rebela » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:09 am

OhOslo wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:59 pm
Rare Albino/Piebald Achievement:
I've spoken to a few people who agreed on the idea that it could be worth considering including Albinism as a very rare possible trait for prey to spawn with and could serve as an exciting moment (or achievement) for players upon locating the 'Moby Deer' of sorts. Of course, I'd only imagine there's a minuscule chance of it spawning (0.5-to-5%) admits an already existing herd, making it unlikely that players would see one on their first or second playthrough, but not entirely impossible.

This is nothing more than a small, neat little idea that I'd imagine to be rather easy to implement when achievements are considered given that it would only really need a reskin rather than a unique model!
I'm up for this!
It'd be something exciting to politely brag about C:
SteamDeviantARTToyhou.se

Gargantor
Top Elk Hunter

Post by Gargantor » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:01 am

Custom Marker on the Screen
It would be nice if we placed a custom marker it would also appear on the screen itself for a moment when we look in that direction, so we don't have to check it on the map every second and we actually find what we marked.
Eg.: I use the custom markers to mark the carcasses I defend (when they don't freeze my game), so when I run around to fight I don't lose it. But even if I have a custom marker... I might still not find the carcass because the marker doesn't tell the exact location. Would be nice if the marker would flash on our screen or persist there so we find what we market easier.
сøυɾαģε, αвøṿε αll τhïṉģṡ, ïṡ τhε ƒïɾṡτ συαlïτÿ øƒ α ώαɾɾïøɾ.

PearlyReborn
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Meg

Post by PearlyReborn » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:04 pm

Markers showing up on the compass (like the hunting grounds and territories of the old game) would be REALLY helpful, I often find myself checking my map to find I'm going in the wrong direction.
To a new world of gods and monsters!

Sinfulcliche
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Sinfulcliche » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:52 pm

I really like the photo mode! There's great potential for some beautiful screenshots, but I think some more improvements can be made to make it even better. When photo mode is in use it just locks onto your wolf. You can rotate it and zoom in and out, but the fact that it's locked onto your wolf can be limiting sometimes. For example, I wanted to take a close up screenshot of me sniffing noses with my mate. The screenshot always ends up looking weirdly off center or my mate is cut off. I was thinking you can still rotate the camera with right click, but use the arrow keys to adjust the angle to get close up shots. Or maybe have it lock onto another subject and use the regular controls. Or possibly have a completely free camera mode, where you detach from your wolf and fly around freely. I could see some amazing screenshots being taken that way. Just a suggestion! Photo mode is great as it is. :wolf:

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: EMK

Post by Phasoli » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:31 pm

PearlyReborn wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:04 pm
Markers showing up on the compass (like the hunting grounds and territories of the old game) would be REALLY helpful, I often find myself checking my map to find I'm going in the wrong direction.
I completely agree. Being able to see the wind direction on the compass like the old game would be helpful as well. I find myself getting confused as to why there are no scents showing up in a particular area, only to find that the wind isn't in my favour.

When mulitplayer launches, it would be neat to have some miscellaneous emotes that we can trigger at our disposal, such as a head-tilt, scratching an ear, sniffing the ground, etc. I absolutely love that we can howl sitting down at last, but it would be amazing if we could perform certain emotes in some of the sitting and resting positions as well.
||,.°`°.,,.°`°.,||ЖЖЖ||,.°`°.,,.°`°.,||
Writing is a job, a talent,
but it's also the place to go inside your head.
It's the imaginary friend you drink tea
with in the afternoon.
||,.°`°.,||Ж||,.°`°.,||
sig/quote © Kamaal/Ann Patchett

Rikkuzilla
Name: Rikku

Post by Rikkuzilla » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:57 pm

I definitely agree with some of the most recent posts regarding customer markers and showing up on the compass. I really like marking my favorite spots for photos or exploring, but have a quicker way to get to them, besides pulling up the map all the time. Maybe it's being lazy, but I always loved the feature in other games. It's very helpful. So, definitely a vote from me!

And I'm sure it's been said before (it's been a long time since I've been on the forums or involved in beta testing), but I still hope there will be more terrain we can interact with in the future. I really would like to jump up on logs, rocks or be able to lay down on them.
:pawprint: WolfQuest: Undine Falls Pack Discord :pawprint:
**You must know a current member that uses the server to join.**

Gargantor
Top Elk Hunter

Post by Gargantor » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:19 am

No Knockback pls
I don't know about you guys but my wolf makes the knockback animation even when it just lets go of its prey before it can shake him off. This is especially problematic because it takes precious seconds out of a hunt until my wolf can move again and continue. So I guess my suggestion would be to take out knockback animation when you just let go of your prey.

I would like to also suggest to take out knockback animation entirely when fighting a calf/fawn. They don't exactly hit hard, so when they shake you off you should be able to keep running after it without taking seconds to recover and giving the mom enough time to land a hit because you can't move. This would make hunting fawns/calves a little easier than hunting adults because the mom can't get free hits in without you making a mistake. Because right now it almost looks like -animationwise- that fawns/calves hit just as strong as adults, which they don't.
сøυɾαģε, αвøṿε αll τhïṉģṡ, ïṡ τhε ƒïɾṡτ συαlïτÿ øƒ α ώαɾɾïøɾ.

DinoDogDude209
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by DinoDogDude209 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:09 am

Please allow us to set hotkeys for the emotes, it gets frustrating when you're trying to pull up a certain emote to intimidate an opponent and have to fumble around with the emotes panel, and by the time you can pull up the emote you want, the rival wolf is already attacking you. Players don't ever use the number keys during gameplay for really anything, so they would be just about perfect for this. This would also make the courtship interactions a lot easier. If that isn't possible, then maybe have time temporarily slow down while selecting an emote. It would just be much more convenient.

In addition, as others have said, I'd like to see a sort of field guide or encyclopedia added to the game with information about all the different locations, plants, wildlife and wolf packs in the game world. Now we already have the new Wolfopedia over on the new WolfQuest website (which has a lot of interesting info on it, if you haven't already, go check it out) but having something in-game would be pretty nice too. In fact, I'd be okay with the same information on the Wolfopedia being added directly into the game, though having more info on specific real-world locations within the maps (examples: Lamar Valley, Lamar River, Amethyst Mountain, Specimen Ridge, The cliffs overlooking Lamar Valley, The Burn area, Fossil Forest, etc.) which players would unlock by visiting those locations in the game.

I'm not sure if this is already planned for the new version of the game, but to go along with the field guide idea above, I'd also like to see collectible items added to the maps. These would be small natural items or manmade trinkets scattered across the map that players could find and see in the field guide/encyclopedia for the game after finding them. Each one players find would unlock some information about said item that the player discovered. Some examples are listed below.
Manmade items:
Old jewelry left behind by tourists
The old boots that were in 2.7
Lost letters or journal entries written by former visitors of Yellowstone or soldiers who patrolled the region back when Yellowstone was controlled by the U.S. Army
Artifacts from the native American tribes of the region (like arrowheads)
Other small items left behind by humans (a pair of sunglasses, old backpacks or maybe even a can of bear spray)
Natural items:
Actual pieces of Amethyst rock around the namesake mountain
Raven feathers
Elk, moose, or deer antlers
Animal skulls
Eagle talons
Other, similar natural objects

Each map would have about 10-20 collectible items scattered across the maps. Players could earn achievements for finding every one on the map. These collectibles could be branded as "Hidden items" considering that real wolves don't actually collect such items, but they'd function like collectibles in any other Role-Playing-Game. This would give players a reason to actively explore the maps to find such items and would also add a lot of worldbuilding to the game. This idea might seem a little tacky to some, and I can see why. It's not at all something that is necessary to add to the game, but it would add a lot more replay value to the game.

BlueBellTigger
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by BlueBellTigger » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:39 pm

DinoDogDude209 wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:09 am
Please allow us to set hotkeys for the emotes, it gets frustrating when you're trying to pull up a certain emote to intimidate an opponent and have to fumble around with the emotes panel, and by the time you can pull up the emote you want, the rival wolf is already attacking you. Players don't ever use the number keys during gameplay for really anything, so they would be just about perfect for this. This would also make the courtship interactions a lot easier. If that isn't possible, then maybe have time temporarily slow down while selecting an emote. It would just be much more convenient.

In addition, as others have said, I'd like to see a sort of field guide or encyclopedia added to the game with information about all the different locations, plants, wildlife and wolf packs in the game world. Now we already have the new Wolfopedia over on the new WolfQuest website (which has a lot of interesting info on it, if you haven't already, go check it out) but having something in-game would be pretty nice too. In fact, I'd be okay with the same information on the Wolfopedia being added directly into the game, though having more info on specific real-world locations within the maps (examples: Lamar Valley, Lamar River, Amethyst Mountain, Specimen Ridge, The cliffs overlooking Lamar Valley, The Burn area, Fossil Forest, etc.) which players would unlock by visiting those locations in the game.

I'm not sure if this is already planned for the new version of the game, but to go along with the field guide idea above, I'd also like to see collectible items added to the maps. These would be small natural items or manmade trinkets scattered across the map that players could find and see in the field guide/encyclopedia for the game after finding them. Each one players find would unlock some information about said item that the player discovered. Some examples are listed below.
Manmade items:
Old jewelry left behind by tourists
The old boots that were in 2.7
Lost letters or journal entries written by former visitors of Yellowstone or soldiers who patrolled the region back when Yellowstone was controlled by the U.S. Army
Artifacts from the native American tribes of the region (like arrowheads)
Other small items left behind by humans (a pair of sunglasses, old backpacks or maybe even a can of bear spray)
Natural items:
Actual pieces of Amethyst rock around the namesake mountain
Raven feathers
Elk, moose, or deer antlers
Animal skulls
Eagle talons
Other, similar natural objects

Each map would have about 10-20 collectible items scattered across the maps. Players could earn achievements for finding every one on the map. These collectibles could be branded as "Hidden items" considering that real wolves don't actually collect such items, but they'd function like collectibles in any other Role-Playing-Game. This would give players a reason to actively explore the maps to find such items and would also add a lot of worldbuilding to the game. This idea might seem a little tacky to some, and I can see why. It's not at all something that is necessary to add to the game, but it would add a lot more replay value to the game.

LOVE These Ideas! Maybe have mini games too, like races, or playful games.
ITS GOING TO BE OKAY!!!!!

There is always a Light in the world...

Link
https://www.youtube.com/user/ThePianoGuys

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”