Ideas for Future Updates

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

ChaseThePoochyena
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Location: Being the best person I can be and spreading my teachings to others.

Re: Ideas for New Episodes/Future Updates

Post by ChaseThePoochyena » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:56 pm

I haven't played the new game yet but I am very excited to get it as soon as I can!
"I travel the world and beyond with my trainer but I stop by to message anyone! I'd love to chat with more humans!"

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Wolf

Post by -Wolfdog- » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:41 pm

Animalxpert20 wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:42 pm
I've played the new game and absolutely love it. So looking forward to the Slough Creek update, and I hope it comes soon (though I understand and respect the time it takes to make such a remarkable game).

Here are my hopes for Towerfall and the new Slough Creek level:

-Actually getting thirsty. I'm not sure if this has already been discussed, but so far in Amethyst Mountain you can drink, but you don't get thirsty and as such don't HAVE to drink. I think there should be a thirst bar (that either exists and/or depletes quickly only on challenging/accurate or possibly only on accurate) that can be refilled a little bit by eating elk, since what the wolf is consuming is at least some percentage consisting of liquid, and refilled a lot by drinking water. This would be cool but I'm not overly concerned with it. Just a neat touch.
-Another note on water, wouldn't it be cool if the wolves (including mate and pups), prey and competition predators' fur gotta darker and dripped after it got wet from rain or from swimming? It would be a nice graphic touch that I'd enjoy.
-Bigger dens. It looks like a lot of people want this lol, and I do too - probably just in a different way. The dens don't need to be decoratable or dug by paw, but if you could at least climb down into the den that'd be nice for sure. Once again, not crucial, but it would be so fun and cute. Maybe your mate could climb in with the pups too and if they were inhabiting it, you couldn't fit lol. In 2.7 I found it frustrating that the dens were so small a wolf condo realistically never fit when in real life they would be big enough.
-Some changes on bird mechanics. I have no issue with how persistent ravens are to peck around a carcass, but maybe they'd actually act a little nervous when you growl and snap at them. Foxes and coyotes, too. They hardly run; it's irritating.
-When pups get older, it would be amazing for them to chase each other and play even when they're around six to eight months old. Animations and emotes where you could pin them or nip at them if they get out of hand would be incredible.

I also hope in the far future that someday you're pack could get a bit bigger. I imagine at least half of your pups would disperse to find a mate, but as in reality, maybe some would stay to be aunts and uncles to the new litter. I'm not sure, I just think it would be cool.

I've donated nearly a hundred dollars to this game. The devs are working hard! ❤️

1.) A thirst bar was discussed, and it was decided against because it would damper the enjoyment of the game. That's why we can drink water but there's no thirst bar. Imagine having to run all the way from point A to point B just to gulp down water for a few seconds? I've played games that had a thirst meter and it wasn't fun running around the entire map trying to find a river. In addition to that, a thirst bar would prevent the user from exploring the map (always sticking near rivers).

2.) Wet fur was mentioned somewhere, all I know is Dave said "maybe someday" or something similar to that due to the coding issues.

3.) From my experience, ravens, foxes, and coyotes did respond when I growled at them. Coyotes aren't particularly skittish, and they can be persistent. Foxes ran away but still watched from afar. Ravens fluttered from the carcass but overall growling didn't do much to spook them.

4.) I agree with the pup interactions! Currently pups do interact with each other (jumping on top, play bowing etc), but they don't run. I think a little running animation would definitely add to the game experience. Also, wolves rarely pin other wolves. Mother wolves do nip, however. I'm not sure how having a "nip" emote would work, since the innocent Wolfquest pups probably won't be tugging at your ear. :wolf:

[edit] Here's the link where Dave says no thirst meter and wet fur effects won't be added currently.
https://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic. ... t#p2556547

Anyway! Just my thoughts on this. No harm. :o
⍋ ⍋
ABNUS LUMI
🐺
🐾

Deilyn-camila
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Didi

Post by Deilyn-camila » Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:40 am

wolf parents who have had a litter of puppies recently will be able to lick (wash) them so that they can avoid future illnesses.
Like that there would be a cute little interection between wolves and puppies.
  • Post Merge
Deilyn-camila wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:40 am
wolf parents who have had a litter of puppies recently will be able to lick (wash) them so that they can avoid future illnesses.
Like that there would be a cute little interection between wolves and puppies.
and also for slough creek in winter, I would like so much that is powder snow ... I saw on UNITY the update of this snow option.
Last edited by Neamara on Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Merged double post. In the future, if there are no new posts after your own, please edit your previous post if you have anything more to add. Thank you~ ♪

roguemoon
Yearling
Yearling

Post by roguemoon » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:38 pm

One thing I've noticed makes hunting a little frustrating at times is having no indication of which elk are more weak. I actually like not having the health bars and having to test prey, but it can really whittle away your health as you lose a tick of health here and there. By the time you've tested a few elk it can make a difference! I would really like to have some sort of external sign that an elk is potentially weaker such as limping, lagging behind the rest of the herd, tiring more quickly, or even a visible wound. Perhaps this could affect their aggressiveness to you as well? I imagine an injured elk would be more reckless and try to stand it's ground or defend itself more.

As well, it would be absolutely wonderful if terrain played more of a role, particularly in hunting. In many videos of wolves pursuing prey you often see the prey stumble or trip, giving the wolves an amazing opportunity to seize it. Calves in particular are susceptible to stumbling. Adding this would be a really interesting detail. Calves could have a random chance of stumbling or tripping when being chased, and prey running through rough terrain or even on cliff edges could trip or perhaps fall down the cliffs and become injured as your wolf can. There are a few articles I've seen indicating wolves in mountainous regions use steep terrain to their advantage by driving prey over cliffs or over steep, uneven drops where they'll lose their grip.
"No matter where they are, the restless imagine being somewhere else."

Rustic
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Rustic » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:03 pm

Is it possible on a future update to allow for lying closer to your mate? I have a very social mate & would like to be able to curl up close to him but at times it's almost impossible. There's like an invisible wall that doesn't allow for actual side by side sleeping...would also be nice for sleeping close to puppies when they are implemented.

DinoDogDude209
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Re: Ideas for naming things in LR

Post by DinoDogDude209 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:29 am

So, it's been confirmed for a while that the Lost River map will be added to the added to the Anniversary Edition at some point, though whether it will be before or after Slough Creek is completed is currently unknown. So I've been thinking about what LR in WolfQuest Anniversary Edition would be like for a while, and after a while a thought came into my mind: How will the team name the elk herds and dispersal wolf packs in Lost River?

The elk herds in the Amethyst map are named after wildflowers and other plant life found in Yellowstone, and the ones in Slough Creek and Tower Fall will presumably follow a similar theme. And while this naming scheme fits in quite well in the context of the Yellowstone setting, I personally don't think it would fit in very well in a purely fictional map like Lost River which has very little connection to the Yellowstone setting. As such, I would suggest instead using made up names. Since Lost River is filled with easter eggs and is more of a just for fun map, I think some less serious names or names that reference the WolfQuest team would potentially work quite well, along with potentially some more tough or rugged sounding names for larger herds. Some examples are listed below.
"The Buck Street Boys" (one of the funnier names that was suggested a while back)
"Greenhorn Herd" (a herd with a lot of spike elk)
"Oldblood Herd" (a herd with very few calves)
"Highland Herd"
"Thunder Hooves Herd"
"Moonstone Herd"
"Razorback Herd"
"Goliath Herd"
"Leviathan Herd"
"Vanguard Herd"
"White Lightning Herd"
"Dark Thunder Herd"
"Shockhammer Herd"
"Peacekeeper Herd"
"Evergreen Herd"
"Antlerick Herd" (an elk-related pun)
"Hoofen Herd" (another elk-related pun)
"Shockwave Herd" (named after the early Shockwave 3D version of the game)
"Sentinel Herd"
"Grant Herd" (named after the Grant's Glen location in Lost River 2.7)
"Jay's Herd" (a reference to JayPlays)
"Schaller Herd" (a reference to Dave)
"Tommi's Herd" (a reference to Tommi)
"Buzza Ridge Herd" (a reference to Tim Buzza)
"Woolman Herd" (a reference to Ben Woolman)

Similarly, all of the dispersal wolves players find in the Amethyst map are from specific packs, which all seem to be named after real world wolf packs in and around Yellowstone. While this naming system helps to create worldbuilding and immersion, due to the fact that Lost River is a fictitious location whose proximity to Yellowstone is unknown, such a naming system would not exactly fit in well in the Lost River map. As such, I feel like some made up names that are still somewhat realistic sounding would be fitting. The static wolf packs in Lost River 2.7 were named somewhat similarly, so I think the following names would make decent names for them, as well as other, similar sounding names.
Revenant Peak Pack
Marshall Ridge Pack
Whitecliff Pack
Calamity Pack
Clearwater Pack
Wartooth Pack
Wormwood Pack (a reference to Lost River's similarities to Chernobyl, as Chernobyl roughly translates to Wormwood)

More creative names for things in Lost River and possibly more references to the team would make Lost River even more unique and seem even more special than it already was in WolfQuest 2.7.
Last edited by DinoDogDude209 on Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Selvin novaraptor
Pup
Pup
Name: Nova

Post by Selvin novaraptor » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:08 am

roguemoon wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:38 pm
One thing I've noticed makes hunting a little frustrating at times is having no indication of which elk are more weak. I actually like not having the health bars and having to test prey, but it can really whittle away your health as you lose a tick of health here and there. By the time you've tested a few elk it can make a difference! I would really like to have some sort of external sign that an elk is potentially weaker such as limping, lagging behind the rest of the herd, tiring more quickly, or even a visible wound. Perhaps this could affect their aggressiveness to you as well? I imagine an injured elk would be more reckless and try to stand it's ground or defend itself more.

As well, it would be absolutely wonderful if terrain played more of a role, particularly in hunting. In many videos of wolves pursuing prey you often see the prey stumble or trip, giving the wolves an amazing opportunity to seize it. Calves in particular are susceptible to stumbling. Adding this would be a really interesting detail. Calves could have a random chance of stumbling or tripping when being chased, and prey running through rough terrain or even on cliff edges could trip or perhaps fall down the cliffs and become injured as your wolf can. There are a few articles I've seen indicating wolves in mountainous regions use steep terrain to their advantage by driving prey over cliffs or over steep, uneven drops where they'll lose their grip.
totally agree. something like slowing down will be nice.

moonwolff2O
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Moon

Post by moonwolff2O » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:13 pm

• Bigfoot/Sasquatch easter egg:

I had a small easter egg idea pop into my head. With a small few of people claiming there to be "Sasquatch" sightings in Yellowstone, I figured it would make a fun easter egg for players.
1. What if there were Bigfoot footprints placed randomly through the maps, especially near hiking trails? It could be up to the player to decide if it was made by hikers as a prank for others or if it was actually a Sasquatch.
2. Maybe also one or two "Bigfoot tree structures" place around the map. The tree structures would be trees placed in a tent/tipi like way.
3. There could be a rare chance that players could hear a strange Bigfoot like call in the distance at night.
Like I said, all of these could be up to the player if it was made by prankster hikers or a real Bigfoot.
If this was deemed too unrealistic for the game, maybe it could be an April Fools event? Just a thought!

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Wolf

Post by -Wolfdog- » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:44 pm

I think it would be fairly easy to implement mates having different sleeping posing! It would make the game more dynamic. Perhaps the sleeping poses could be randomized or be based on the weather (curled up during snowstorms). However, I think the first idea is easier.
⍋ ⍋
ABNUS LUMI
🐺
🐾

Kayeotic
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Kayeotic » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:00 pm

When it comes to multiplayer in WQ 3, which I know is still in development right now, but I was thinking maybe a system where people create groups or packs, kinda like guilds in mmo games, and there's a leaderboard of some sorts, say for instance it keeps count of certain things like XP earned by each player in the group/pack, amount of prey killed, amount of wolf fights won, and the ones with the most of each are on the top of the leaderboard, as for reward IDK what they'd get, maybe a title of some sort? Kind of like the rankings in WQ 2.7 where its "Pack Leader" above the username.

I know this would possibly be difficult to implement, but just an idea I've been bursting to get out! I have all these scenarios of things that could go down in MP in my head and a few involved almost a competitive edge to the game, and I know with the new systems it COULD be possible, it'd give players more incentive to be active and work as a team, too. But then there's the risk of toxicity, but I'm sure something could be figured out.

PearlyReborn
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Meg

Post by PearlyReborn » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:53 pm

A few small things I'd enjoy:
-Since we have Lost River (Classic), I'd love to have Classic versions of Amethyst and Slough Creek, perhaps unlocked after you beat the main campaign (so people don't go into the game blind by playing the old maps from a decade ago). Would be a neat little nostalgia trip.
-A randomize button on the customization screen! I love randomly generated characters.

-EDIT: Just noticed a feature actually did exist but I just didn't notice akjhsdkjsdhf.. so now it is removed
To a new world of gods and monsters!

adamhebrew

Post by adamhebrew » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:03 am

Hi,
A few ideas for a competitive mode that could still stay true to the realistic nature of the game.
- Each pack has its own unique scent color. The color becomes more or less vibrant depending on when the territory was last marked.

Selvin novaraptor
Pup
Pup
Name: Nova

Post by Selvin novaraptor » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:28 am

> Ability to order your pups to go into dens when there is a predator attack

> Coyote/Fox/Bear dens in maps - Yes I know that bears wander with cubs. I mean hibernation dens

> A rare chance of seeing other species of predator hunting ungulates

> You can 'command' your mate/vice versa

> Actual, Visible vunerability of prey

> otters, magpies, various small birds and other semi-interactable ambient creatures

> badgers, small rodents and other smaller interactable creatures

> Collectable/interactable objects in Lost River - e. g) carriable boots, interactable cats

> A sort of 'Hard Mode' featuring wildlife massacre of 19s and early 20s in future episode

> A competetive mode where pairs or teams of players need to raise pups. the team with most pups healthly surviving will win the game

PearlyReborn
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Meg

Post by PearlyReborn » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:57 am

I like the idea of being able to carry small objects like boots or sticks and being able to take them to your den for your pups to play with, maybe with a side quest relating to collecting objects (possibly with achievements/EXP rewards if you collect them all and take them to your territory.)
To a new world of gods and monsters!

Windstrider
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Wind

Post by Windstrider » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:53 pm

PearlyReborn wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:57 am
I like the idea of being able to carry small objects like boots or sticks and being able to take them to your den for your pups to play with, maybe with a side quest relating to collecting objects (possibly with achievements/EXP rewards if you collect them all and take them to your territory.)
Seconded! Also, pups playing with boots and stuff would be adorable, omg
"The strength and the fellowship of the clan will always be with you, even when you hunt alone." - Warriors

==================================================

Good vibes

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”