Twelve Player MP Game?

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Re: Twelve Player MP Game?

Post by SolitaryHowl » Mon May 30, 2016 3:50 pm

I'll have one up tonight, in a few hours maybe.
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

Wolvencall
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: Maddie

Post by Wolvencall » Mon May 30, 2016 3:50 pm

Me too! I just hope the connection lasts long enough to play and sounds good!:D
Go your own way

SapphyWolf
Pup
Pup
Location: Sanfransokyo, because fictional places are more interesting. :>

Post by SapphyWolf » Mon May 30, 2016 4:10 pm

I was just in a server that had a max capacity of 50 wolves, it was crazy. There wasn't fifty players in the server, but could you imagine?
Hello friends it is I, SapphyWolf~!

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Rowan

Post by valkea » Mon May 30, 2016 4:13 pm

SapphyWolf wrote:I was just in a server that had a max capacity of 50 wolves, it was crazy. There wasn't fifty players in the server, but could you imagine?
Hah, I've been considering taking it to extremes to see just how many players can be in a game before it starts causing massive problems and thinking about starting around 50, but considering there's apparently been lag and other issues with just 10-15 I'm not entirely sure if attempting 50 would be a good plan.
má shínim seal uaire faoi chrann a dhéanamh só
o cad é sin don te sin nach mbaineann sin dó?

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Mon May 30, 2016 4:18 pm

SolitaryHowl wrote:I'll have one up tonight, in a few hours maybe.
Sounds good; I'll be available tonight provided I remember.
Kirave wrote:
SapphyWolf wrote:I was just in a server that had a max capacity of 50 wolves, it was crazy. There wasn't fifty players in the server, but could you imagine?
Hah, I've been considering taking it to extremes to see just how many players can be in a game before it starts causing massive problems and thinking about starting around 50, but considering there's apparently been lag and other issues with just 10-15 I'm not entirely sure if attempting 50 would be a good plan.

If it's already causing problems around 10-15 players, I don't even think it would make it to 50 players and, as you said, probably unwise.

Shiverdam
Pup
Pup

Post by Shiverdam » Mon May 30, 2016 4:25 pm

Just in case y'all are interested, I regularly host 12-player games called "ItsaParty" on the lost river map. 'SFUN.
"Shiverdarn" in-game

SapphyWolf
Pup
Pup

Post by SapphyWolf » Mon May 30, 2016 4:42 pm

Skulleh
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Skulleh » Mon May 30, 2016 4:44 pm

A lot of people have been bringing up chat issues, and I've come up with a way to remedy this.

Separate chat channels, like pretty much every other MMO game on the internet has.

Local chat: A chat that only broadcasts in a local area. Only players within a certain distance to your character can see your posts when using this chat. Use this chat for local area roleplaying or smaller group discussion. Chat color could remain white.

General chat: A chat that shows to the entire map when posted in. Every player can see this unless an individual turns it off. If general chat is turned off, you will not see any messages posted to General chat. Chat color could be a light off-white green.

Basically, it'd work similarly to the way FeralHeart used to.

If this was done, it would allow for larger games without spam or messages always being lost.

Nor-easter Forecast

Post by Nor-easter Forecast » Mon May 30, 2016 6:17 pm

Skulleh wrote:A lot of people have been bringing up chat issues, and I've come up with a way to remedy this.

Separate chat channels, like pretty much every other MMO game on the internet has.

Local chat: A chat that only broadcasts in a local area. Only players within a certain distance to your character can see your posts when using this chat. Use this chat for local area roleplaying or smaller group discussion. Chat color could remain white.

General chat: A chat that shows to the entire map when posted in. Every player can see this unless an individual turns it off. If general chat is turned off, you will not see any messages posted to General chat. Chat color could be a light off-white green.

Basically, it'd work similarly to the way FeralHeart used to.

If this was done, it would allow for larger games without spam or messages always being lost.
This is a very good idea. If we decide to allow big MP games, it might be the best solution.

I just saw a 100 player game. The hacker is getting a little ambitious. xD

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ˢ ʳ ˢ
ˢ ʳʸʰ ˢ ʰ
ˣ ˢ ʰˢ,
ʰ ʳʸʰ
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

av/sig/quote © coyoteflu/LupinzPack/patty griffin

Kamaal
Name: Kam

Post by Kamaal » Mon May 30, 2016 11:57 pm

Well I wouldn't say ambitious Lobo, but rather stupid -- one of the people who know how to hack/move the files is my friend. The only thing that she managed to do with that is start a conflict between the two of us. Being the short tempered one, she can get really quirky so can her curse words ><

Plus with the 10+ people in the server doing their own thing, the situation got quickly out of control...
I ran out of snarky remarks, unfortunately.

Wolvencall
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Wolvencall » Tue May 31, 2016 8:55 am

I saw a not so great point on the large amount of people too but it made me realize why we could have an educational point on smaller groups like 20 wolves. The elk herds only have 10 or so animals. a pack of five could quickly take out nearly 2-3 elk to feed them all especially during hunting the bull elk. but 20+ wolves could take out both herds easily, which would also show how in increased number of wolves in the area could have a negative effect on the wildlife's populations.
Go your own way

SapphyWolf
Pup
Pup

Post by SapphyWolf » Tue May 31, 2016 9:55 am

Wolvencall wrote:I saw a not so great point on the large amount of people too but it made me realize why we could have an educational point on smaller groups like 20 wolves. The elk herds only have 10 or so animals. a pack of five could quickly take out nearly 2-3 elk to feed them all especially during hunting the bull elk. but 20+ wolves could take out both herds easily, which would also show how in increased number of wolves in the area could have a negative effect on the wildlife's populations.
That's actually very true!

Nor-easter Forecast

Post by Nor-easter Forecast » Tue May 31, 2016 11:39 am

SapphyWolf wrote:
Wolvencall wrote:I saw a not so great point on the large amount of people too but it made me realize why we could have an educational point on smaller groups like 20 wolves. The elk herds only have 10 or so animals. a pack of five could quickly take out nearly 2-3 elk to feed them all especially during hunting the bull elk. but 20+ wolves could take out both herds easily, which would also show how in increased number of wolves in the area could have a negative effect on the wildlife's populations.
That's actually very true!
True, but in the real world this isn't very accurate. 1) Although Yellowstone has an extremely high density of wolves, that many individuals would never be able to survive in an area 2km x 2km (the size of a WQ map). 2) Super packs, or packs of 15+ wolves, are very rare in the wild and rarely last more than a few years. 3) Wolves almost never surplus kill. Yes, it can happen when teaching pups how to hunt, but but slaughtering two herds of elk in ten minutes is not something that would happen in the real world.

I definitely hear your point, but it seems to me that having games that big would take the abnormal and make it standard for WQ players.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ˢ ʳ ˢ
ˢ ʳʸʰ ˢ ʰ
ˣ ˢ ʰˢ,
ʰ ʳʸʰ
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

av/sig/quote © coyoteflu/LupinzPack/patty griffin

Wolvencall
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Wolvencall » Tue May 31, 2016 12:17 pm

Yeah that's why I was kind of thinking two packs in a 10 player room. They could set up a 'capture the pup' type thing where there is pack rivalries. Like how one pack laid seige on a den for a few days. It would be like a territory fight. As in Yellowstone some close calls sometimes happen when hunting and more territory is needed. It would be another good activity for those in a multiplayer game. And yeah I know that it's just we may need to have elks give off more meat in multiplayer games. Or some how players could choose to be elk but have lower stamina or speed than the wolves
Go your own way

Wolvencall
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Wolvencall » Tue May 31, 2016 12:28 pm

true enough but I hope if we come up with some mini-games we can curb off magical rainbow unicorn rps:P I believe its better than what it used to be though but I guess we really do still need to cater to rp'ers in a way while keeping it realistic as they are the ones with the cash too.
Go your own way

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”