An important rule not clear enough.

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

Maddoka
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

An important rule not clear enough.

Post by Maddoka » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:14 pm

I am not sure if I am posting this on the right place, or if one of the mods would rather have this messaged privately but to me, but this is something important that I want to bring attention to. I've tried to look like a topic like that, but couldn't find it. This can be closed, and I'd like a link to the topic if there is one about this.

In multiplayer roleplay there is 1 very important rule, a rule that exists as long as I can remember. It's the rule that you cannot have a mate in multiplayer RP. Mate RPs are reportable, if people ask for a mate, they can get reported... But there still are a lot of mate RPs. Now, today I've joined some RPs and every time someone talked about having a mate, I told them it's against the rules.
"It's not, RPs like this are everywhere" "No, it's only reportable when it goes too far" are the responses I've gotten mosty. So I've decided to go look around on the forums to see how easily I could find this rule. Besides that, I've read the rules you have to accept before you join a game.
Now there is a rule that says this is not allowed:
•Gender-specific/sexually-oriented/mating/dating/breeding games or roleplay*

Mating games or roleplay. It says mating games. Well, as far as I know, mating is something different than a mate. So this rule doesn't make it look like you aren't allowed to have a mate. I actually got a bit confused, and decided to go look a bit further. I finally found a clear answer here:
http://wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f ... e#p2472400

Now, you can tell me that I should have understood this... But I didn't, and it may be because English is not my first language. And I'm guessing a lot of people also don't speak English in the country they live in.

Wolfquest seems to be very strict on this rule, and I have a feeling you really want the mate RPs to stop. Well, I'd say that you should add a clear rule about not allowing mate RPs/games.
I'd personally put this rule on top of the list, and maybe place the word mate in caps so people see it.
Maybe something like this:

What is not allowed:
Mates are not allowed in multiplayer. You can not be someones mate, and you can't have a mate.
-All the other rules under this one-

I do wonder if anyone else agrees with me, or do you guys think it IS clear enough?

So tl;dr
The rule that you can't have a mate in multiplayer is not stated clearly anywhere IMO, even though it should be.
I WANTED TO CLICK PREVIEW!

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: An important rule not clear enough.

Post by Neamara » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:36 pm

WQ Coordinator wrote:Please report people who:
  • Host a mate-related or otherwise inappropriate game
  • Ask for a mate
Source: Reporting Parameters: who should you report?

The forum this is posted in — Chat and Reporting FAQ — used to be the WolfQuest Game Reporting forum, which was a sub-forum to General WolfQuest Discussion up until the launch of 2.7 and retirement of the WolfQuest Report Team.
Nothing interesting happens.
[XBL] • [Switch SW-7220-7090-5161]

WQ Wiki WQ Discord WQ Reddit

Maddoka
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Maddoka » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:23 am

Thanks for that. BUT to find that, you have to go to who to report and not just the rules. Also, this is not in the game.

I think most people only play the game, and don't check out the forums. Now, if they had a rule about this on top of the list, I think it would be a lot more clear that mates are not allowed at all.
I still feel like this rule should ne more clear, especially since so many people tell me that they don't know about this.

Legendary Sucker
Name: Ruff

Post by Legendary Sucker » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:40 pm

I've just witnessed just that. And no, I didn't report because it doesn't feel right to report someone who doesn't even knew that it was a rule - even if the person gets mad at you as if you were there just to annoy everyone. The players are usually young, most of them are not used to forums and such, what means they won't go around looking for the clear paragraph that explains about mating and such. Maybe there's a clearer way to notify it? I don't know, I'm just sharing thoughts.
ℒιჩεятέ

▻▹ We believe ourselves redeemers, avengers, saviors. ◃◅
We dream of leaving our stamp upon the world...
▻▹ ...even as we give our lives in a conflict ◃◅
that will be recorded in no history book.

ƛℓℓ тнαт ωє ძσ, αℓℓ тнαт ωє αяє, вєɢɪηs αηძ єηძs ωɪтн σursєℓvєs

Av/Sig © Sobakka/Me

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:50 pm

Really, all that needs to be added is "This includes seeking or having mates" after the clause you mentioned. There's not much to specify.
Just as an FYI, you should never tell someone that "behavior x isn't allowed on WolfQuest" or that "you are reporting them for reason y."
http://wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=86&t=62634

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Rowan

Post by valkea » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:58 pm

Legendary Sucker wrote:I've just witnessed just that. And no, I didn't report because it doesn't feel right to report someone who doesn't even knew that it was a rule - even if the person gets mad at you as if you were there just to annoy everyone. The players are usually young, most of them are not used to forums and such, what means they won't go around looking for the clear paragraph that explains about mating and such. Maybe there's a clearer way to notify it? I don't know, I'm just sharing thoughts.
People should be reported for breaking rules regardless of whether they were aware of the rule and regardless of their age, which is never an acceptable excuse for breaking a rule in a game. Think of it this way - if they don't know it's a rule, won't believe you that it's a rule, and will not go to the forums where it might be more clear, how are they going to learn that it is indeed a rule that they are breaking and need to stop breaking if they want to continue playing the game? Especially in cases like this where people feel like that specific rule is not clear enough and there are misunderstandings on what it means?

I do agree that it would be beneficial to make the rule more clear, however. Mating is different from having a mate, and while I personally interpret it to mean both mating roleplays and having a mate in general, I can definitely see how it can seem unclear.
má shínim seal uaire faoi chrann a dhéanamh só
o cad é sin don te sin nach mbaineann sin dó?

Maddoka
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Maddoka » Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:09 am

Koa wrote: Just as an FYI, you should never tell someone that "behavior x isn't allowed on WolfQuest" or that "you are reporting them for reason y."
http://wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=86&t=62634
I never told someone I am reporting them, but I have told people that having a mate in game is not allowed. (Usually when people describe and add "Has no mate") The reason I did this is so the people who don't know, now know it. But I guess I'll stop doing that and just report them. Thanks for stating that, because I didn't know I shouldn't tell people they are behaving in a bad way.
Mating is different from having a mate, and while I personally interpret it to mean both mating roleplays and having a mate in general, I can definitely see how it can seem unclear.
Yeah, yesterday someone literally said "I think having a mate is not breaking the rules, only mating is." so it's a misunderstanding I've seen a few times.

Oh also, Koa
"This includes seeking or having mates"
This is perfect, but since my English skills aren't the best at some times I was not able to make it clear in my original post. XD Thanks for this.

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:25 am

Yes, this rule has gotten blurry. We've talked it over and have decided to stick with the existing rule (with the upcoming addition of flirting and romancing), which prohibits:

* Gender-specific/sexually-oriented/mating/dating/flirting/romancing/breeding games or roleplay*

I think most players understand the difference between *having* a mate and *mating* -- right? Where it gets blurry, perhaps, is in the process of obtaining a mate -- this can easily devolve into dating-type interactions, which can then devolve into mating-type interactions. That is what we don't want to see in multiplayer games.

So it's okay to say, "will you be my mate" and then RP with that wolf partnership in mind. It's not okay to start chatting/interacting in ways that suggest physical interactions of dating/mating.

We don't want to see "mate" in game-names because generally that means the host wants to engage in those kinds of prohibited chats/interactions. Generally we block "mate" and "mating" in game-names, but a hiccup in the last patch removed that block on some platforms. We'll be fixing that soon.

Other types of words and phrases to avoid in game names: love, romance,make pups… Creative spelling variations like m8 and luv will likely be reported.

Remember, there are two kinds of reports: game name and in-game. Game name reports are only evaluated on the game name (so a game WolfLove will receive a warning, even if it is about how much you love wolves.)
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:33 am

What makes it even more confusing for some people (and I've heard this from others on MP), is that having a mate and puppies IS the whole point of the singleplayer campaign so why should it be not allowed in Multiplayer? But thanks for the clarification, Dave.
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:44 am

SolitaryHowl wrote:What makes it even more confusing for some people (and I've heard this from others on MP), is that having a mate and puppies IS the whole point of the singleplayer campaign so why should it be not allowed in Multiplayer? But thanks for the clarification, Dave.
Yeah, exactly. That's why it's okay to have a mate, but not okay to engage in mating-type chat or interactions (which are not depicted in single-player either).
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

Maddoka
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Maddoka » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:02 am

This actually made me a bit confused again. So people can now have a mate, but if they have a romantic relationship and not just a partnership, it can be reported? Is that right?

I've read the news and it stated that having a mate is no problem. And that would mean the link in my original post is not right anymore?

Celestial-Howl
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Alicia

Post by Celestial-Howl » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:27 pm

From what I'm seeing it means that players can play as "mates" and say that they are so, but cannot engage in any inappropriate behavior that has to do with the subject. I believe that this is fair, as saying you have a "mate" isn't all that bad, but when people start to act in ways that are not permitted, they should be reported, no questions asked.
~ σиℓу тωσ кιи∂ѕ σf ρєσρℓє єχιѕт ιи тнιѕ ωσяℓ∂, тнσѕє ωнσ ѕтєαℓ, αи∂ тнσѕє ωнσ αяє ѕтσℓєи fяσм. ~

Frodo1
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Name: Frodo/Jay

Post by Frodo1 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:32 pm

Ah, I'm glad to get clarification on this-- it's something I've been confused about, too.
So basically you're saying it's okay to have a mate, provided the sole purpose of the rp is not finding a mate, and provided that it doesn't turn into anything inappropriate?

Out of curiosity, where exactly do you draw the line with what's okay and what's not? Obviously anything suggestive is bad, but are general signs of affection like nuzzling or licking okay? Personally I see those as not being romantically specific actions for a wolf-- merely a sign of friendship and bond. But it would be good to know where the line between "rping as a mate" and "flirting/romancing" is...
JayPlays on YouTube
Nature and wildlife gaming videos the whole family can enjoy!
Join the adventure here
Av/Sig © me

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: EMK

Post by Phasoli » Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:06 pm

From what I can understand of what was being said, it's alright to have a mate, but without the romantic half of everything--correct? And I would agree with Frodo1. Understanding a clear line between rping as a mate and engaging in romantic affairs may be beneficial, since rping as a mate may be perceived to involve romantically-themed interactions.
||,.°`°.,,.°`°.,||ЖЖЖ||,.°`°.,,.°`°.,||
Writing is a job, a talent,
but it's also the place to go inside your head.
It's the imaginary friend you drink tea
with in the afternoon.
||,.°`°.,||Ж||,.°`°.,||
sig/quote © Kamaal/Ann Patchett

Pepper
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by Pepper » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:53 pm

Hi All,

As the main reader of reported game chats, I can tell you that the difference between having a mate and inappropriate RPing is usually pretty clear. First of all, you have you behave in a way that another player finds reportable. Then we take a look at the chat log. Not all reports merit a warning email but we keep an eye out to see if there are more reports about the player that might require a reminder about WQ rules.

Flirting and sex talk are no nos, obviously. This isn't a dating game! No "going to the den" or "making pups." And don't be mean about pairing up... this isn't a middle school lunchroom.

Context is everything and common sense rules. If you pretend you are RPing with my grandma, you can't go wrong.

If in doubt, submit a report and we will take a look.
Pepper
WolfQuest Team Member

Shake your glitter.

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”